PDA

View Full Version : pastel portrait sketch

Ruth
10-09-2001, 02:12 AM
I haven't touched my pastels in weeks. Doesn't take long to get rusty, does it? :D

digistyle
10-10-2001, 02:04 PM
Ruth,

This "rust" you refer to, where can I find copious quanties? If it'll bring my pastel work up to this level, I'll take it by the bagful!!.

digistyle

Bobbie
10-14-2001, 11:08 AM
Ruth - what do you mean by rusty - she's incredible. Not only is she beautifully drawn, but the colors you used are so very wonderful. What paper did you use? The pinks seem to be perfect choice. Are you using soft pastels? Who is your lovely model? Would you tell us about your technique?

Shirl
10-14-2001, 02:45 PM
Would also like some of your "rust" please. The portrait is beautiful, colors and drawing. What do you do when you're not "rusty"? :D

Would also like to know what paper you're using.

Shirl

stealth
10-14-2001, 05:47 PM
this is great,good use of complements,pass some of that rust over here while your at it.:D

jimg
10-15-2001, 12:14 PM
Not bad for being rusty.
Rusty is not using pastels for a few years.
I was going to do a landscape with my pastels, that is until I started and realized I'd forgotten alot. Boy am I rusty.:o

Thumper
10-23-2001, 11:13 PM
This is really beatufiul, I would love to find out what technique you use, and what are some of the colors that you use.
thanks,
Joc

Ruth
10-24-2001, 04:45 AM
Thanks, y'all! I'll try to remember to take my camera to class with me next time and make some progress photos. The procedure I use is kinda like scribbling around with the side of the pastel stick until it sort of looks like the person, and then refining it starting with the biggest light and shadow shapes. Then refining those big shapes a little more, and so on. Starting with the big shapes is important, saving details until last. Those little highlights on eyes, nose and lips are the dessert in a feast of color and light.

R.

Thumper
10-24-2001, 10:36 PM
Just wondering. . . what type of paper is this on, and what colors are your favorite/ basic colors that you use? Thanks!
Joc

Ruth
10-28-2001, 04:24 PM
Joc, thanks for your interest. I think this one is on charcoal paper that someone gave me, I don't know what kind. I usually buy Canson Mi-Tientes in colors. I like the dark green and the medium blue-gray best for portraits, but I did use the red paper for a nice landscape.

I start with seeing the color of the light and shadow. We have a lamp we use on the model, which gives a pinkish light, so the shadows are usually greenish. This one, it looks like we had a yellowish light, and purplish shadows. I start with those colors and use the side of the pastel to block in the light side and shadow side of the head. I can't say what colors I use, specifically. I see purples, greens, blues in the shadows and put them in. I see reds, oranges, yellows and pale blues and pinks in the light side and put them in. The only black is the pupil of the eye. White for eye highlights.

That's not much help, I know. It takes practice, practice, practice...and more practice.

:D
R.

Emsal
11-04-2001, 05:08 PM
Perfect colours for a portrait of a girl. Do you find that you'd use totally different colours for a portrait of a man? I tend to use hard leathery colours for men and softer colours for women, but I never used to and subsequently a lot of my women ended up looking like men! Best wishes.