PDA

View Full Version : Preschool Project: scrapwood assembleges

just dave
07-28-2004, 03:13 PM
So a while back some local elementary teacher cleaned out her closet at school and left boxes of stuff at the child care and educational center where I am preschool teacher. I took several boxes of "junk," including a bag of cutoff pieces of thin plywood and thick plywood puzzle scraps. I thought someday I'd use 'em with the kids.

We continue child care through the summer; we just don't do the weekly lesson plans that cover all of the content areas. I still have some structure so my Fours don't get out of practice in the interim time before my students begin Kindergarten, whether they are moving down-the-hall to our private Kindergarten or going to an elementary school next month. We do a monthly planning calendar with a featured activity each day for the week's theme.

Our monthly theme for July has been "Vacation Destination" and this week's is "Baltimore's Inner Harbor." I had chosen a place at the Inner Harbor of Baltimore for each day's activity and today's was "The American Visionary Art Museum." (Website: http://www.avam.org/)

Each child in turn has chosen five pieces and a base. He or she shows me where they want each piece to go and I apply some hot glue from a glue gun and then that child places that piece. We continue until they have placed all the pieces and I give him or her the chance to title his or her artwork.

What is amazing is how advanced these are! It is simply not true that young children cannot think abstractly! Some are able to, albeit in less sophisticated ways than those who are out beyond the concrete operations stage.

Each child has a definite idea of how his or her pieces should be contructed to make the sculpture he or she imagines. And the titles are very interesting. If I'm able, I will take some photos and post them with the titles of the artworks.

Jakeally
08-02-2004, 12:08 PM
Great idea Dave ... I look forward to seeing the pictures.

just dave
08-23-2004, 12:20 AM
Well I took some nice photos, now just need to find the camera so I can get them developed and scanned and post them!

Jakeally
08-25-2004, 04:02 PM
So.... c'mon ... tell your Auntie Chris how you lost the camera :D lolololol