PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation - Living the Artist's Life

artist_pw
07-28-2004, 12:46 AM
Hi:

I just wanted to mention that a gallery owner whose gallery, the Leopold Gallery, is in the Crestwood shops that I always walk by when I do my two-mile walks on the Brookside Trolley Trail here in KC. I love looking in this gallery, and I think it would be nice to be able to get in - maybe sometime hopefully. Anyway, from a copy of a local paper, where the author, Paul Dorrell and his book were highlighted, "Living the Artist's Life - A Guide to Growing, Perservering, and Succeeding in the Art World" - I read the article and the book seemed interesting. I found and purchased a copy at a local book store, and so far I've only read parts of it, but from what I can tell, it appears to be well written and insightful. I can tell the author has an acerbic sense of humor. A MidAmericaPastel society member and PSA member, Kim Casebeer, shows work in his gallery, and there are very kind and genuine comments about her and the other artists that show work in the author's gallery. I thought I'd mention it in case any one would be interested in some helpful information about how to possibly succeed as an artist.

It's interesting to me, too, because many of the MidAmericaPastel society meetings have had individual artists present their own work, and many of them also provide helpful insight into their marketing techniques. Past presenters have included Mark Moseman, who presented great marketing information not too long ago, and a local gallery owner, Denyse Johnson, who owns the Source Fine Arts in Westport, has presented very helpful information about topics concerning approaching a gallery.

Another good book is the annual "Artist's and Graphic Designer's Handbook" which is updated and published each year. Well, I hope this helps at least a few people. :)

Kathryn Wilson
07-28-2004, 08:50 AM
Hi Paula - thanks for sharing this info with us. Have you approached the owner of the gallery to see if they would be interested in your work?

artist_pw
07-28-2004, 12:15 PM
Hi:

No - I'm just a cautious person and if I would, I want to time it well. I've gone in a time or two, and I found the gallery owner to be a little difficult to chit-chat with (and after reading excerpts from his book, I know why). I sort of have plans to sometime, but I'd also probably have to focus less on pastels, because Kim Casebeer already shows a lot of pastels there, and her work is exceptional and nicely understated.

I don't currently have enough work to actually approach a gallery, and usually, I've read that you need to do some home work before it - like being in more juried shows, and having slides prepared. Whenever I would feel like I had enough pieces, I would first call to see even if a gallery is possibly accepting artists at the current time, too because I've heard that is a polite gesture. Then once that is determined, then you'd better be prepared to follow up. Also, to approach a gallery, you should have done visits to see shows or just the gallery in general to see if your type of art would fit with the current art there. Mark Moseman recommended that an artist should have about 10-15 framed pieces ready to go in case a gallery owner would like your work enough to have a show for you. I think the message is to prepare, prepare, and then prepare some more.

For the NYC gallery I got completely lucky to be in, I found it through another website. I took a chance, and it seems to be working out. I also think that within the last year or so, my work is getting to a point where I am more satisfied with it to feel good about actually approaching any gallery.

The 'Artist's and Graphic Designer's Handbook' is helpful because it lists a lot of galleries that you might approach and what they look for, you might check it out if you haven't already. My current gallery affiliation seems to break all of the rules that I've read or heard, but that's the world wide wow at work for you. As a side note, I told the gallery owner about wetcanvas not too long ago in case she was looking for other artists. The MidAmericaPastel webmaster, Kathy Drungilas, also does a good job of listing possible local galleries on that site.

Deborah Secor
07-28-2004, 01:34 PM
Paula, all of the ideas you have for slides and shows and resume fillers are good ones--but I just want to add one thing to your thoughts. Sooner or later we all have to walk in the door and take the risk. Now you may not be at all like me, but I tend to prepare and prepare and prepare for something and sooner or later I realize that it's classic 'displacement behavior'--I've just kept myself busy doing little things to avoid doing the big thing! LOL Human nature, I guess, and not to be confused with real preparations. Hope it all works out for you soon and you see your work in this gallery. The book sounds interesting.

Could you provide a link for the MidAmerica PS? Thanks...

Deborah

artist_pw
07-28-2004, 02:56 PM
Hi:

Dee - thanks and I have the courage to jump in and take risks. Really, each gallery is different, and it probably pays to at least do some homework before you approach the first one or two galleries just to get some familiarity with what you might expect. Also, I think gallery owners would always like it if you approached them with courtesy for their time. Just a thought.

You can get to the MidAmericaPastel website at www.midamericapastel.org, a few members have images available there, and we're trying to get more people to add their images or provide a link to their websites. (Also, the entire reason I found wetcanvas was because I saw something in the Pastel Journal you had put in about a reference available on this website, and I am so glad I happened to see it!)

artist_pw
07-29-2004, 01:30 AM
One last note, if you happen to visit the MidAmerica Pastel Society's website, feel free to sign the guestbook because it is nice to see who visits! :)

Khadres
07-29-2004, 02:12 PM
Hi:

I just wanted to mention that a gallery owner whose gallery, the Leopold Gallery, is in the Crestwood shops that I always walk by when I do my two-mile walks on the Brookside Trolley Trail here in KC. I love looking in this gallery, and I think it would be nice to be able to get in - maybe sometime hopefully. Anyway, from a copy of a local paper, where the author, Paul Dorrell and his book were highlighted, "Living the Artist's Life - A Guide to Growing, Perservering, and Succeeding in the Art World" - I read the article and the book seemed interesting. I found and purchased a copy at a local book store, and so far I've only read parts of it, but from what I can tell, it appears to be well written and insightful. I can tell the author has an acerbic sense of humor. A MidAmericaPastel society member and PSA member, Kim Casebeer, shows work in his gallery, and there are very kind and genuine comments about her and the other artists that show work in the author's gallery. I thought I'd mention it in case any one would be interested in some helpful information about how to possibly succeed as an artist.

It's interesting to me, too, because many of the MidAmericaPastel society meetings have had individual artists present their own work, and many of them also provide helpful insight into their marketing techniques. Past presenters have included Mark Moseman, who presented great marketing information not too long ago, and a local gallery owner, Denyse Johnson, who owns the Source Fine Arts in Westport, has presented very helpful information about topics concerning approaching a gallery.

Another good book is the annual "Artist's and Graphic Designer's Handbook" which is updated and published each year. Well, I hope this helps at least a few people. :)

Would you mind adding these to the Book and Video Reviews thread? They'd made great additions and later readers, newbies, etc. will be able to find out about them that way.

Thanks!

artist_pw
07-29-2004, 03:59 PM
Hi:

I'm still sort of bumbling around in here - I would if I knew how but I don't know where that thread is. If it's easy and a few steps, let me know. TIA.

Khadres
07-31-2004, 03:16 PM
Hi:

I'm still sort of bumbling around in here - I would if I knew how but I don't know where that thread is. If it's easy and a few steps, let me know. TIA.

What you can do is just copy your first message in this thread and paste it into a message at the end of that one with whatever additions/edits you might want.

I'll give you the link to it after it gets moved to the archives...(if we're lucky!)

Thanks!