PDA

View Full Version : It's amazing what a good camera can do for a wonky little bead!

StefaniBeads
07-27-2004, 07:50 PM
This is my second dichro bead, and man, I don't know what kind it is but I want some more of it! Of course, to stash away until I can have someone teach me how to use it properly and not burn it up! :rolleyes:

Anyway, I LOVE my Nikon! (Coolpix 4300) This little bead (about 12mm) is wonky (the dichro looks YUK on the other side, trust me!) and look how this camera makes the dichro POP! I thought I had read somewhere that a lot of folks complain that its hard to photograph dichroic glass. Hmmm, really? :evil: ;) :D

This wonky little thing shines, don't ya think?? Oh, and if anyone is struggling with their Nikon, don't worry, you'll learn the camera. I hated mine at first! I'm still learning on it too after owning it for 10 months, but liking it more and more. :)

llglassdesigns
07-27-2004, 08:00 PM
Lisa,
From that side it looks pretty cool.
Deb

fikefire
07-27-2004, 09:27 PM
Nice photo Lisa :) And that's a pretty little wonky bead!

encantado
07-27-2004, 09:42 PM
Wow- looks like a great bead from this side!

Toni Lutman
07-28-2004, 12:41 AM
Hi Lisa,

I tried PM'ing you, but you're all filled up, so I'll ask you here. :)

The picture of your dichro bead is fantastic! I have the same camera, and I just can't seem to get a picture anywhere near as good as that. How close are you when you take the picture? Are you using the macro right up close, or are you backing off a bit and zooming in? I've tried both ways and can't seem to get it right. I know it's got to be me (obviously since your photo is perfect)! Anyway, just wondering if you have any tips that might help???

Thanks,
Toni

StefaniBeads
07-28-2004, 02:18 PM
Hi Lisa,

I tried PM'ing you, but you're all filled up, so I'll ask you here. :)

The picture of your dichro bead is fantastic! I have the same camera, and I just can't seem to get a picture anywhere near as good as that. How close are you when you take the picture? Are you using the macro right up close, or are you backing off a bit and zooming in? I've tried both ways and can't seem to get it right. I know it's got to be me (obviously since your photo is perfect)! Anyway, just wondering if you have any tips that might help???

Thanks,
Toni

Glad to help! :)

I don't get any closer than about 3 inches or so, and a lot of the time I have to back off even further than that, like 4-6 inches to focus. I've never used the zoom in the macro setting, but can I?? If I can do that then maybe that will help with some of the problems I've been having getting some shots. That's what I love about this forum, we all can learn something from each other! :cool:

Here's my camera settings for taking the bead pictures. I leave it on these settings, and a lot of them are recommendations from posts on the Nikons.

Auto white balance
Metering - matrix
Single shot - I only need to shoot one at a time I guess, lol!
BSS - off - don't think I need this
Image adjustment - auto
Image sharpening - high
Lens - wide adapter - not sure, but I think this may be better for the close-ups
Image quality - fine
Image size - 1024
ISO - 100 - recommended by a WC! member, but I'm going to try auto
Exposure - 1.0+ - recommended by a WC! member (can't remember who)
Auto focus - continuous AF
Bracketing - not sure what that's for, so I leave it off

My photo set-up - Verrrry simple! A piece of pale gray printer paper. I don't lay the whole piece flat on the table, I tape the upper half of it to a coffee can, so it's like a "backdrop" for the subject, and set the bead(s) down on the part of the paper that's resting on the table - is this confusing??

My lights are GE Reveal 60W, three of them. One up above in a swing-arm lamp, and the other two in those inexpensive dish "shop lamps" (Home Depot & Lowe's $5-$9 each) to shine from each side. Unfortunately, those are the "two eyes" in the bead above, lol. :rolleyes:

I have Arcsoft photo editing, and crop a lot of background out of my 1024 size images to bring the bead(s) in close, I lighten a little, and sometimes have to sharpen the images just a little bit. My DD argues that PS Pro 8 is better, but so far I'm happy with this software that came with another digital camera I have. Too bad that camera's macro is no good (I paid $200 for this eVision MEGApro :( ), and that's why I had to get the Nikon.

Hope this helps, but if you have any more questions, feel free to PM me. I'll be glad to help out, and maybe even do some more photo experimentation. Like I said, I'm still learning this camera, and I can't find my manual! :rolleyes:

Toni Lutman
07-28-2004, 03:17 PM
Thanks Lisa. I'll give these settings a try tonight and see what I come up with. I have to get going on photos for my website that is being set up.

Thanks so much.

Toni

BabsW
07-28-2004, 07:19 PM
Lisa,

I also have Arcsoft photo editing and love it for the easy crop and frame editing. The final online color doesn't seem as good as PhotoElements II or PhotoDraw though.

I have just upgraded to a Sony DSC F 717 from a Sony Mavica f87(?) and am discovering that all my old tricks won't work as well. I'm going to follow some of your suggestions and see what happens. Thanks a bunch.

Barbara

BTW, I still think the old Mavica is a great camera for web sites.

DebbieSue
07-29-2004, 12:19 AM
That is a great pic! :clap:

Debbie

Patricia'sglass
07-30-2004, 07:06 PM
Gorrrrrrrrgeous bead!