PDA

View Full Version : when good beads go bad-critique

wildfirelauri
07-27-2004, 07:37 AM
This bead originally was a large (2 1/2 inch) bicone that was targeted for multi facets. While I was removing it from the mandrel, one of the ends chipped. After removing the rest of the mandrel, half the bead was completely lost. I threw it in the trash. Then thought maybe I could salvage a small part. I ended up grinding the ends at an angle, forming this funky shape. It sorta resembles a large hunk of furnace glass. The largest section at the base measures approx 1 1/4 inches.

Did I waste my time? Do you think it was worth the effort to grind and polish the ends? Tell it like you see it!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Jul-2004/10074-funkyredfacetsm.jpg

Retta Gates
07-27-2004, 07:43 AM
I really like the shape! It's almost like a Semi-Facetted gemstone. I dont think you wasted your time, It would very very hard to get that effect without grinding I think.

I adore the colors as well! I know if I had extra cash and I could I would buy it :D

P.s. I though I would mention that I have never ground or pilished anything so my POV came from somone who knows nothing about the work that went into it. I have seen grinders and know they are out of my price range :)

JavaGirlBT
07-27-2004, 08:18 AM
Not a waste of time at all! I like it!

nursekatie
07-27-2004, 08:20 AM
You really have to ask????? Holy cow woman...that is one gorgeous piece!!!!......hmmmm......actually........you really should send it to me for closer inspection :evil: (I know that wasn't original....but dang...I had to try!!!)

Nice job Lauri!!!

Ellen Altamore
07-27-2004, 08:25 AM
There can never be enough funk ;) I love it.

MegannsMom
07-27-2004, 08:29 AM
:clap: ! Isn't it wonderful when an accident turns out so well?! The way I look at it, you have found a lovely shape and a unique item that people are going to love! Can I come over and dig thru your trash? :) The only problem you are going to have now, is trying to recreate this shape!
~Cindy

Mike E etc
07-27-2004, 08:41 AM
The bead looks good! I always save interesting 'bad' pieces for possible reworking of some kind.

Mike E

Red*Dog*Designs
07-27-2004, 09:11 AM
Did I waste my time? Do you think it was worth the effort to grind and polish the ends? Tell it like you see it!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Jul-2004/10074-funkyredfacetsm.jpg

No No No not a waste of time at all ! I think your efforts were well worth the end result, a unique and gorgeous work of art !

laughing glass beads
07-27-2004, 10:20 AM
Nope, I see it like it is, creative and original. CC

GinnyHampton
07-27-2004, 10:38 AM
There can never be enough funk ;)

LOL!! Words to live by!!

Laurie - I think it's a great save! It's a unique shape that you don't see in handmade glass. Good job :)

dogmaw
07-27-2004, 10:43 AM
The glass is great! I like the shape. The only suggestion I would make is to string it on silver instead of red... I think the red cord distracts a little from that wonderful red bead!

Jo

llglassdesigns
07-27-2004, 10:52 AM
Lauri,
Actually, I like it a lot. It has the look of a polished gemstone. Some of the most interesting work begins as an accident. :D
Deb

!Karen
07-27-2004, 11:00 AM
You must change the title of this thread to "When bad beads go GOOD", that is so unique and I love it!

That red just makes a statement - "Here I am, DEAL with it!!" :D

Very nice,

:)Karen

Helen Simon
07-27-2004, 11:11 AM
Looks great to me, very modern art sculptural and perfect! Love, Helen

encantado
07-27-2004, 11:24 AM
Wow- I am so glad you saved that bead! It was well worth it- I love the effect and shape!!

SonyaHusko
07-27-2004, 12:52 PM
I like the bead, it has a very cool geometrical look to it, but I too would string it with something other than red for a more dramatic effect. It would really stand out against black or silver. I would probably string it on black leather cord with some very plain silver beads.

CharleneN
07-27-2004, 01:08 PM
Way Cool! :clap: :clap: :clap:

chroma
07-27-2004, 02:58 PM
It's very contemporary looking. Arty. I like it a lot. You know, sometimes ya' just get tired of round. . .
bj

StefaniBeads
07-27-2004, 06:39 PM
Wow! It's gorgeous! :)

Toxey's Treasures
07-27-2004, 07:44 PM
That is one awesome bead!! You did a great save, and I would think that might get more money because of it's uniqueness, than you had originally planned!!

I totally love it.

Renee_T
07-28-2004, 03:08 AM
Hokey-dokey, here's my 2.5 cents:

I don't think you wasted your time. You put much more than the grinding time in, tho.

The grinding put the resulting center bead in a symetrical shape, but not a usual shape, so we lampworkers go a bit ga-ga over it (me included). The WAY you strung it shows off the shape of the bead - matching spacers, simple but nice silver, and matching cord. The eye can focus more on the interesting lines of the piece because of the one color design.

The silver adds just the right amount of contrast in material (metal vs. glass) and color (pale grey vs. red). The bead and spacers are more interesting again because they're transparent, and the eye wants to look down inside, and get's a 3-D treat with all that's going on there.

I'll give it two mandrels up.

(And no, I'm not a professional art critic, but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night.)

Just thought of something else - the lines of the focal tell the brain "this is a more structured piece" and it would go well with something with crisp lines in it - like a red blazer. Or maybe something with a geometric print. The other thing that came out of the brain was the word, "architectural".

I'm going to advise my brain to stop sending things out now so I can go to bed.

TorchGlass
07-28-2004, 03:50 AM
Havent read all replies, as I like to give my own personal take first. I am drawn to the shape immediately. Can you re-create it? I would really like to see it in the hand, to get a feel for its heft and size in jewelry design. Is that possible in a different photo? The faceting gives a royal feel, as gemstones have over the ages! Very attractive bead indeed. Wow, purple would really be royal. Is it all safe from any further cracking (didn't it begin as a cracked remain before grinding?)

wildfirelauri
07-28-2004, 04:18 PM
Wow, thanks all. I feel better. For now I'm keeping it on the red/orange silk as it's already packed for the Gathering. But trying it on a chain is worth trying. Renee, congrats on your Holiday Inn Express status. Very nice critique. LavenderFields, after annealing, the bead chipped at one end and broke further down. The bead release failed and it was hopelessly stuck to the mandrel on one end. I broke it while forcing off the mandre. The bead was formed from the opposite end of the break so I would think it's stable. However, good point. Thanks again all.

Beth Myers
07-28-2004, 05:26 PM
Lauri,
My dear glass goblin, I've looked at this for a while now, and can't think of anything that could improve it.
I love it. And I would never tell anyone it was from the island of Misfit Glass.
Have a great Gathering!
love,
Beth

Daphne of Dilluvian
07-28-2004, 05:43 PM
Just wanted to say that I love it and Instantly imagined it on a Black turtle neck sweater (although the cord would have to change for that and I kind of like the red silk thing you have it on). I think that creatively salvaging something speaks about an artist's true ability to think outside the box. I applaud you for your rescue and have to say that the things that I stumble upon are often the most satisfying because they held an unexpected surprise. That said, don't forget to try and recreate it a few times. :clap:

Daphne

DebbieSue
07-29-2004, 12:23 AM
I think it's beautiful too! :clap:

Debbie

Suz01
07-29-2004, 05:32 AM
Hi,
I think its grgeous and the shape is realy interesting, but I have a question (I love playing devils advocate :evil: )

Is there any risk that, as the bead broke so badly coming off the mandrel, that basically it is not sound, and may be subject to further cracking etc later? I was just wondering? or, once it is annealed without further cracking, it will then be ok? What do people think? Either way, it was worth the work, cos its a gorgous piece, but would it be safe to sell?

Suzanne

AutumnH
07-29-2004, 11:10 PM
It rocks!

....and is it just me, or does Katie always need a "closer look" :confused: :D

Bead Realm
08-01-2004, 04:27 PM
That is so sick! YES, I'm loving it. That says a lot since I'm not a fan of red at all.

Brenda B.