PDA

View Full Version : Critique thread

gwacie
07-26-2004, 01:02 PM
Hi gang. I'm back from vacation (what's that? You didn't notice I was missing? You don't say :D :evil: :D ). I've been working on some larger plates. These are much simpler (cleaner) than my prior fused work which involved many many colors. I wanted to work in one palette with subtle textures.

Construction: Larger plate is 15" square shallow slumped dish, smaller plate is approx 7" square with a round depression in the center to hold either a candle or dip or other items if this set is used functionally. The surface of both is sand etched. The larger plate was made by turning four quarters in opposing directions prior to the first fuse. The smaller plate has an inset strip in an opposing direction for interest.

I'm looking for a product and photo critique. I find this color extremely difficult to accurately photo represent. This color would most closely match the windex blue of aqua found in the Effetre glass line. Thanks in advance for your input!

Vena
07-26-2004, 01:06 PM
Beautiful, simply beautiful. :clap: :clap:

BGillen
07-26-2004, 02:25 PM
Bethany,

Those are absolutely stunning. I love the color flow. Great work.

Brenda

Beth Myers
07-26-2004, 02:40 PM
Bethany,
Which way do the holes run on that???
LOL!

I'll be back once I've had a chance to look closely.

Seriously you guys!
NO KUDOS~~~remember!

Once again, the rules..........

Critique Requests

Please feel free to begin a new thread, titled Structured Critique and the date, if you would like a critique.
Remember you may always pm if you need any help or have a questions.

Guidelines:
By posting in this thread, you are asking for a serious, structured critique of your work. By posting your work, you are agreeing to receive both positive and negative advice on your work. Some you may agree with, some you may not. No complaining or falling apart if you don’t hear what you would like to hear.
Guidelines For Critiquers:
All critiques should include some form of instructional feedback. What was done well and why, what needs improvement and why, how to make those improvements. All post should be well thought out, and in keeping with our helpful attitude. NO trashing of another’s work.
And NO KUDOS! Such as “great job, beautiful, “that’s so nice”.
Kudos post will be removed.

For Poster of Glass Art Works to be critiqued:
Only one glass art photo per day (until we work out some of the kinks)
No links, just the photo.
Please include a description of your work, size, techinique, etc.
Keep to the facts, (we aren't here to showcase new Ebay listings, or to promote sales )

For the sake of easier reading and to get the best responses we can, let's try this.........

Let's keep all comments on target, no chit chat
And patience, these things take time for others to read and mull over.

If you want to post your work anonymously pm or email a photo to me.

Shawn T.
07-26-2004, 02:46 PM
Gwacie,
Beautiful. I love your work. I am amazed at the beauty of it.
Take that baby outside in the sun on a balck cloth, and show off the beautiful blue swirls it has in it. I would love to see a different pic of it. It looks to me like it is dieing for the sun to catch the shimmering blue in the glass. Also try it on the silk white you have used in the photo shown. I have had good luck with blue on black. But not the best phototgraher here. So take my suggestions with a grain of salt. :evil: :angel:
Shawn

ValorieCox
07-26-2004, 03:25 PM
I'm sure I'm in the minority, but for me, it's calling out for the smallest area of color contrast--perhaps gold foil, or the smallest detail of cobalt blue among that sea of lovely pale blue.

Regarding the photo, I really like the color reflection below the large plate, when you retake your photos (more light and contrast--outside like Shawn said--in the shade of course), I hope you retain that look. I'm not crazy about the smaller piece on top of the other, one or the other, not both (unless they are actually attached).

Val

MegannsMom
07-26-2004, 03:28 PM
If Kudos were allowed, this is where they would be::clap: !
Otherwise....I agree with Shawn. I would like to see it on black. Maybe even a black cloth over one of those light beds, to under light the piece. I think it would pick up the inner swirls of color in the glass. Maybe a black matte surface, outside in the sun. I like the simplicity of the design; very elegant and almost soothing.
~Cindy

rosemarie23
07-26-2004, 03:43 PM
Bethany,
I like both pieces. As an untrained art person, I have to say that I like the larger one with the opposing diagonals better, but I don't know why. Maybe because it seems to have more movement.

I do have reservations about both of them together though. The single opposing strip on the small one seems to not carry the theme of the other piece. And visa vera -- if that makes sense. On the larger piece, the balace of opposing stripes is 50-50, but on the smaller piece, it is much less (25% opposing?). Or maybe it's because the larger one has a different kind of symmetry than the smaller one. Can anybody else help me out here?

I think the idea of either, if implemented on both pieces would make great sets. I think that the simplicity of both designs is what makes them good!

I'd like to see a larger plate that has an opposing thin border the same size as the stripe on the small one -- for one set.

For the other set, maybe divide the smaller one into 4 quarters, but only have 1 opposing. That might carry the theme, but not become too busy.

All that being said, I think they are quite beautiful, and would not be offended at having them hanging around at my house. This my first time at offering a critique-- it's hard, because I really feel like I'm really picking, but I felt I needed to put my thoughts "out there".

gwacie
07-26-2004, 04:07 PM
Excellent, this is the kind of feedback I was hoping for. Rosemarie, you've nailed it. I was wondering if having the opposing patterns was too much of a fight.

Val, I hear what you are saying about one or the other. I think I will (on redesign using Rose's suggestions) do photos both ways so I can show them together as functional sets but separately for their artistic merit.

Shawn, Val, I am unsure about how to photograph on black. My experience has been that 1) it shows lint no matter how I try to clean it and 2) in adequate lighting the black is no longer black but sort of brownish. However, I'm willing to try it again.

THANKS TO ALL, I appreciate the feedback very much.

!ngridh
07-26-2004, 05:17 PM
Bethany I photograph on gray and the cat hair still shows...sigh...

I like the work...I DO like the different directions ... I think it is an essential design element to keep the work interesting. Since it is so monochromatic I think you need that tension to create some visual interest...

There is just not enough "Je ne sais pas" needs more definition in the photo...maybe a pastel background that is complimentary to the piece...pale yellow or gold...I really can't think of just what it is but I really think the answer is in the photo ;-)

MistyCherie
07-26-2004, 06:44 PM
Perhaps if you leaned the plate so that we could look directly at it, instead of seeing it from the side? I think vewiers would see more of the pattern that way, and it would attract the eye better. I also agree that they need to be photographed separately. They fight each other (because of the patterns) and yet also sort of meld together because of them being the same color. If you were going to photograph more together--I'd like to see a contrasting color on one of them. (Like a small coral plate on top of that blue... or a golden yellow... etc)

I think they're a great idea and would love to have one myself!

=)

-M

dogmaw
07-26-2004, 07:33 PM
I agree with Misty. I like the amount of opposition in the pieces, and the tension it creates. I think adding gold or silver or cobalt blue, even in small amounts, would detract from the piece because it would suck your eye right to that spot. They do need to be photographed separately rather than on top of each other. To my eye they look fuzzy stacked.

Jo

gwacie
07-27-2004, 09:47 AM
Ok, just to try it I've done some photo work on black for these and removed the top plate as well. I'm not sure.....

dogmaw
07-27-2004, 10:45 AM
How cool! Now they look like the float on the background. The edges are crisp and you can really see the details in the glass. I still like unstacked better than stacked.

Jo

MistyCherie
07-27-2004, 03:02 PM
I like the top plate best--because you can see the white striations in the plate. The bottom plates don't work as well--and they almost look shiny in the white areas (when I thought they were etched?)

However, there's something about the photos I don't like. It looks like you have just a blue square hanging in space or something. Not quite sure how to put it. I guess they seem artificial or cartoony or something. I can't see any sort of edges of the plate.... I know they're there, it just seems like it's blue and then intense flat black. No gradiation in between to indicate a real object. (Did you just cut out the plate and put it on a black background?) I hope I didn't offend... The pictures seem more like something created, than something photographed... Make sense?

*squish*

-M

gwacie
07-27-2004, 05:48 PM
No offense at all Misty, I don't like them either. I did clean up the black background a touch (minimal) but trust me, my work neither improved nor ruined the black. The best would be the gradient background I use for smaller pieces, I think, but ouchie $$ buying a nice big photo gradient background for big stuff.....

Anyway, thanks all!! Great good input.

Vena
07-27-2004, 11:12 PM
Oops, sorry for the Kudos! Being a newbie to the forum I didn't know the rules for critquing. But now I know...lol. So all wasn't lost.

Vena :p

CharleneN
07-28-2004, 11:58 AM
I prefer the plates on the black background. I really like the floating impression it gives plus it shows them off much better than the gray. I prefer them stacked. I think the oppossing corners in the first photo really add to overall design. I think it is a good idea to show them stacked and unstacked, and stacked in different ways so a potential customer can see what options they will have with them. If I purchased these, I would like the versatility of being able to display them either way. Over the years of owning an item like this, it is nice to be able to switch it around. I really like the striations in the glass and I think you have done a great job of taking advantage of them in your design.

Charlene

Beth Myers
07-28-2004, 05:33 PM
Bethany,
After pondering this for several days, I still am unsure if there is anything I would change about it. I like it just as it is.
IF, I were to make a suggestion, the first thing that comes to my mind is some type of bold contrast used as a point of interest.
What that might be, you would have to decide, and with your eye and skills, that should be no problem.
I'm attaching several photo opitions that I like, just as a point of reference and one plate, with crazy, bold black lines that might illustrate my suggestion on contrast.
I think this is a wonderful piece.
love,
Beth

Daphne of Dilluvian
07-28-2004, 06:14 PM
That was what I was thinking as well. When I saw the large plate from the front, my impression was that I was being pulled apart with the direction shift and thought that some unifying detail with a degree of contrast would make me feel more secure and then the tension created by the opposing quadrants would be exciting rather than unsettling for me. I am no expert though; just suggesting what I would do if it were me. P.S. I just love that colour, so aquatic and cool yet energetic.

Daphne

chroma
07-28-2004, 06:26 PM
The directional changes work for me. I think it gives the monochromatic color scheme additional interest. I had a bit of trouble with the photo but it's probably just my eyes. I first though the blue on the fabric was some kind of base on the piece (this was in the first photo with the white background).
bj

Sophia757
07-30-2004, 02:37 AM
Since I can't tell you how lovely the pieces are, I can share a little photographic enticement... http://www.designsgallerycollection.com/secrest.html
Click on the piece on the top left, Take a look at how Peter has filled the frame with the work. He uses light like a prop. Glass and light, what a combo. :D