PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Scumble - 7/26 through 8/2

Kathryn Wilson
07-26-2004, 11:54 AM
Welcome to the Weekly Scumble Thread - post all of your news about family, friends, pets, successes, woes - basically anything you want to share with your WC pastel friends.

-------------------

Granddaughters are here and busily working on some projects in the other room, so I sneaked in here to post quickly. It's so nice to see two young ladies grow up so successfully (so far) - I know how quickly things can turn around. Sandy is 15 and Kathy is 11. Sandy is taking guitar this year and I've discovered that Kathy like to create with Sculpy - a budding potter??

Have a good week guys!

Here a post from MeowMeow in last week's thread I didn't want to get lost -

Dawn I am so glad for you...both for the insurance coming through so nicely and that you are feeling better. Sometimes we do just have to take it into our own hands and see what works. I hope it continues that way for you.
I am flying through here as usual. I had another show on Saturday. Terrible weather again. It has become a running joke around here that if it rains it must be another art show! But...I did well. Sold tons of cards and prints and I would have been happy enough but then a woman came through and bought an actual painting! I figure any time that happens at one of these little outdoor shows it is a bonus. It was an impulse purchase and fortunately her sister had her checkbook with her. It is making me wonder about setting up a charge account thing but not sure I want to be bothered.
Anyhow I am still tired from it all and things seem to be getting busier as the wedding approaches. But I am going off to my portrait group shortly. They haven't done it for a while and I don't want to miss it.
I'll check in on you all later!

Sandy

SweetBabyJ
07-26-2004, 01:14 PM
Congrats to you, Sandy, always a nice bonus to have a painting find a home. Happy grandmothering, Kat- always nice to spoil 'em good 'fore you send them home. Good luck to you, Dawn- try not to spend all the insurance money in one place. Sometimes easy to do, eh? Suddenly so many things are on sale....

It's been hotter'n a two-dollar pistol up here lately- yesterday cooled a bit, but not hardly enough. When western Washington tops out at over 100, you know it's weird weather all over. There's little to no a/c up here- in cars, of course- but most houses just have windows and a fan or two- so we really swelter if it gets actually "Hot". I 'bout died Saturday- I've not "glowed" so much for years. Better today, although they're predicting more later this week.

Lost time cause of the heat to the copper still life, but am back at it today. One more and then move on to something slightly different- and Kitty? I'm heading to Seven Muses tomorrow afternoon, I think, so expect a report.

Be well, y'all- stay cool.

Dark_Shades
07-26-2004, 01:27 PM
Kat.... obviously Artist gene runs in the family ....

Here a post from MeowMeow in last week's thread I didn't want to get lost -

Dawn I am so glad for you...both for the insurance coming through so nicely and that you are feeling better. Sometimes we do just have to take it into our own hands and see what works. I hope it continues that way for you.
Sold tons of cards and prints and I would have been happy enough but then a woman came through and bought an actual painting!
Sandy

Thanks Sandy.... congrats on all your success..... hey dont forget to put that you do prints and cards on your webpage.... let peeps know..... you could also put your Art Fair dates on there and where they are

lol SBJ.... so true.... we've just ordered a new Lawn Mower..... ha!, case of having to, our Grass is currently knee high !!!
Had my Freebie Massage at work, was rather nice..... relaxing...... hope it will a regular feature
nothing much else happening..... so lol in the last months events.... should count my blessings

bogbeast
07-26-2004, 02:41 PM
Hi--gotta duck in here quickly, as I have to get our scooter to the shop with a borrowed truck, lots of juice but no start, and it's almost brand-new! I'm guessing the spark plug is gooey or something, internal combustion engines are not my strong point! but it's fine to cruise around on it, and it's so much easier to use than the Dodge Dourango beast--parking in Berkeley is hard to come by in a car, and gas prices are bad--$2.29 is the cheapest I've seen lately.

I actually had fun with the WDE this weekend, and am pleased with the result. A much better experience than my attempt at a real-life still-life, which I haven't found the humbleness to post yet :p I tried the broken color technique from Jackie's instruction thread, and it is simply awful! I'm going to try the same set up (from photos--the lemon dried out, the clementine got et, and the beer was drunk as soon as I saw how bad my picture was!!) but using a different technique, or maybe two--like practicing etudes when I was still trying to be a musician...

Have a good week, y'all--better health to those who haven't had it, changes in weather to those who need it, fun with families, and dirty fingers from all those pastels!

Mikki Petersen
07-26-2004, 02:53 PM
A new week...thinking of sneaking out of town. I am meeting another artist for lunch today. Met her here on Wet Canvas! and we have been trying to get together for about six months now. Should be fun!

Sandy, you are an inspiration! I may have to look into some of these art fairs. Being on retirement income has changed the way we look at things and Hubby is starting to wonder when I'll start selling stuff. I just get real lazy every time I think about all the hassle. And I'm not sure I have thick enough skin to deal with people...

Dawn, glad everything is beginning to look up for you...hope the trend continues!

Kat, have fun with your granddaughters. They sound like wonderful young people. All my grandkids look forward to "projects" at Camp Gramma's. Their parents, my daughters, are clean freaks and don't allow messy stuff at home. I buy craft supplies and play-doh in wholesale lots and subscribe to Pack o' Fun magazine (which is art projects for kids). I have a big crate full of tempra paints, construction paper, scissors, paste, glitter, 'gems', scrap fabric, buttons, etc. and they just go to town creating. Then Hubby makes things like birdhouses and stuff for them to paint also. Last Fall, our local produce stand had big, beautiful gourds for sale at 25 cents a piece. I bought a bunch up and last week when the kids were here those gourds became the most gawdy, funny athletes and cheerleaders you could ever see. Wish I'd taken a photo...

Speaking of the grandkids. My younger daughter and her family descended over the weekend with their dirt bikes and quadrunners and turned our three acres into a dirt bike track and dust bowl. Today, my asthma is so bad...and I can't stop coughing from all the dust. Think from now on we'll be taking those mean machines up onto the fire roads in the Nat'l Forest so the neighbors and I don't suffer the consequences. But they had great fun and left all the machines with us for their next visit :confused: .

Yee Gods, SBJ! Two years ago we were up in Seattle visiting our daughter and the weather was in the 90's all week. Glow heck! I thought I was melting! Mind you, it's hovering around the century mark here, but we are used to it and our climate is far less humid. That heat with your humidity is just deadly! Then I look at the Santa Fe forcast and the high is forcast for 72! Hope it's like that a month from now when we go to the Expo. Anyway, stay in the shade and drink lots of water and think cool!

Kathryn Day
07-26-2004, 04:29 PM
Hello to all.
Sounds like fun times for Grandmothers. Three of my grandsons are coming to visit for two weeks, ages 12,13, & 14. My daughter is bringing them down, they live in Montana and I really miss them. The boys all like doing art projects too. Thanks for some good ideas Mikki.

Sandy: Congratulations on your sales. Have fun at your portrait class. I am struggling with another portrait. Haven't posted it yet, trying to work out the problems some on my own first.

Hope everyone has a wonderful week!

Kitty Wallis
07-26-2004, 05:48 PM
Thanks Julie.
:) <-- Expecting report

meowmeow
07-26-2004, 05:54 PM
Looks like a mega grandparent week! Can't think of much better...or more tiring! :D Your adolescent grandkids sound like great fun, Kat. Enjoy them! Sculpey is fun!
I went to the portrait thing. I did have fun...not pleased with what I did though. The 3 weeks off wasn't great for me. Kind of frustrating since I was on a roll. The funny thing is we had a delightful kid our "leader" snatched from the art show on Sunday. He just graduated high school and is headed to college and is a real budding artist himself. He did some quickie sketches of some of us when he had his breaks.
The thing was he wanted to buy my portrait of him! But I am not happy with it right now. He is staying with his grandfather up the street from me so I told him I wouldn't sell it as it is since I am not happy with it but I will look at it for a couple of days and try to tweak it and if he is still interested in a day or two he should call. He said he understood. I hope so.
I just wouldn't be comfortable with something with my name on it out there if I dont think it is right. But it does have a neat, sort of "electric" quality to to it that I can see that a teen would like. Kind of funny.
YOu all enjoy your busy week...I am going to try to get into the main section and look at some more of the neat stuff you all are doing. I have missed so much but I've just been too busy!

s.

vanityfaire
07-27-2004, 03:55 AM
hi all. grandkids sounds like fun, don't have any yet, but looking forward to when that time comes about. I have an adopted son who has some developmental delays we love him all the same, heck who doesnt have something right? Well teen daughter #3(bio) moved out about 2 weeks ago and we are purging the left over stuff in anticipation of moving Alex into the big bedroom. I keep looking at him as a baby so now it is big boy time, 11 years old. He still sleeps in a handmade toddler bunk bed set..just don't want the empty nest. Ok get real. So we got him a double bed and a real computer desk and a used computer. He will have it pretty nice by next week-end. As we are sorting through his things I gave him a limit of 11 stuffed animals for his age. Made sense to him so he was quite obiliging to do that. Now I might actually find him in the room, instead of scooby do. LOL. Working on prep for an art show in August, and an art walk this friday. Busy--no time to be sick. vanity

Kathryn Wilson
07-27-2004, 08:49 AM
Ye Gods! One day away from posting and I'm so far behind - so if you all will forgive me I won't be posting much today - I've read all the posts and thanks for the well wishes -

Katy - 3 teenagers! My two giggly girls are wearing me out already - but we are having fun - today the movies!! Tomorrow the NC Museum of Art and one day at the end of the week the waterpark.

Mikki - thanks for the idea on the gourds. If we run out of stuff to paint, that sounds like a real neat idea. I'm already planning on shipping stuff home, so what are a few goards or two or three - :D

See y'all later!

Mary Robinson
07-27-2004, 12:52 PM
Glad to see everyone is having an excellent beginning to the week. I didn't mind the 100 degree temps up here in Wash State and I'm expecting a visitor if it tops that again (eyeing Julie). I bought my husband a window A/C a few months ago because he works a lot of nights and has to sleep in the daytime :) . I headed over to Julie's yesterday, dragged her off to the local craft store and made her buy stuff so I wouldn't feel so lonely buying stuff :D . I've been looking around for something portable to take on the road with me so I can still paint. The watercolors might do for when I have a few hours off, but I think they'll be too messy for driving down the road. And unfortunately even the pastel pencils will be too messy to use, we'd be covered in pastel dust. So I did some experimenting with different papers and mediums. Wallis is it, I can't find a medium that it doesn't work with. And I've tried them all, watercolor, acrylics, pastels, oils, etc, etc. Below is what I've decided will work best on the road, the question is, can anyone guess what medium I used?

(Kitty, I think I'll be needing a roll of the Wallis before I head out on the road :D . A really big, huge roll. I'll strap it into the top bunk if I have to in order to bring it along :evil: )

Mary

Kathryn Wilson
07-27-2004, 01:35 PM
Mary, this new lifestyle sounds like it's coming sooner than I thought. My guess would be oil pastel or crayon, colored pencil?? Trying to think what would be less messy than pastel pencils. :rolleyes:

Deborah Secor
07-27-2004, 01:49 PM
Goooood morning. I had a treat yesterday--a check for four paintings that sold in one day at the Santa Fe gallery! YeeHaww! That is always such a treat... One of them was called Evening Splashes and you all helped me with it! (Thanks...)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Jul-2004/23609-Evening_Splashes-th.jpg
So now I need to frame, frame, frame--never my favorite thing to do. One day I'll let go and have a pro frame my work. For now...I'll just get on with it.

I'm getting a haircut in a half hour and need to spruce up. Wouldn't want the guy to think I'm a total slob--though he knows already that my house is a mess! (He comes up here to us, which is a new thing but one I like! Saves me a trip to town and he's taken classes from me, so we talk art the whole time.) Anyway, I need to run, but I'll be back!

Deborah

Khadres
07-27-2004, 02:04 PM
Below is what I've decided will work best on the road, the question is, can anyone guess what medium I used?

Mary

Oil pastels or watercolor crayons....?

Khadres
07-27-2004, 02:17 PM
Well, the electrician finally finished up after five new circuits and three full days (12 hour variety)! I think I was exhausted as he was! But now, at least, the AC won't pop the breaker every time it's condenser kicks in at the same time as the garage fridge does. Whoever wired this house must've been a madman! One circuit was run all OVER the house, but only in oddball places you wouldn't expect...no rhyme or reason at all. Ah, well, it's straightened out now.

I'm planning a new painting and building enthusiasm for it...from several photos I had from the Yorkshire dales. Think PURPLES! (lol...y'all were thinking GREEN, weren't ye?)

Other than that, nothing much going on around here... Weather's been unusually cool and damp around here...had another gully washer Friday evening...and am HOPING hubby can get the grass mowed this evening before it rains again. We've set records for "low high temperatures" for the last two weeks, so I guess it's been balancing out you guys in the Northwest! I've LOVED the cool, tho.

Hope everyone feels well this week and accomplishes whatever they want to, as well! Ta-ta!

Mary Robinson
07-27-2004, 03:35 PM
Glad the electricity is working well now, for you Khadres.

Congrats Deborah!!

Kyle got it, colored pencils, the ones (Lyra and Bruynzeel) with the veg oil binder rather than the wax binder ones like Derwent, though I tested both, the wax ones tend to leave a shine. I get the look of a pastel without the mess of one, they blend just as easily on the Wallis as pastels do.

Mary

E-J
07-27-2004, 03:38 PM
Four paintings, Deborah?? Good going! From what I can see (the image is rather tiny on my screen) that one's a beauty.

Mary, did you use oil pastels ...? They're certainly wonderfully portable and a good deal less messy than softies.

Sooz, will be excited to see what you do with the Yorkshire Dales ... we stopped in Yorkshire for lunch on our way to and from the Lake District back in May, and there is some beautiful countryside up there.

I had good news today: not only did my 'missing' eBay pastel finally reach the buyer after four weeks, but she gave me some lovely feedback and sent me a very appreciative e-mail saying she'd love to do business with me again. So ... I'll have to see what I can come up with for my next batch of eBay pics! :)

Hope everyone is doing ok. Got to go now and fit some pastelling into my day!

Dark_Shades
07-27-2004, 04:17 PM
I had good news today: not only did my 'missing' eBay pastel finally reach the buyer after four weeks, but she gave me some lovely feedback and sent me a very appreciative e-mail saying she'd love to do business with me again. So ... I'll have to see what I can come up with for my next batch of eBay pics! :)

whaddya tell ya :p :p :p :)

Congrats Dee, remember that one....... lovely piece

Kathryn Day
07-27-2004, 04:43 PM
Way to go Deborah on selling four of your beautiful paintings!

EJ: Glad your Ebay painting got there.

Mary: I have a bunch of prismacolor pencils, I'll have to try them on Wallis. Does anyone know if you can mix colored pencil with pastels? I am trying to get detail on a portrait and only have a handful of pastel pencils, but lots of colored pencils.

Well, this rain is great, but it showed we have several leaks in our roof. Oh Joy!

Deborah Secor
07-27-2004, 05:09 PM
Okay, back with 'new' hair... :cool:

I love the rain too, Katy, so nice to have cooooool weather again. Barb, you just picked the wrong month--but I wouldn't have expected it! It sure is delightful now. Broken skies, a touch of moisture in the air, about 77 degrees. Mmmmmmmmm. We had terrific rain for the last 5 days. Thank God (and I mean that!) However, sorry about leaks. Kinda puts a damper on enjoying the rain. :(

Mary, I'll have to check that out too. I never knew there were different binders in pencils...but it makes sense. Wallis has to be the most versatile paper ever made! :clap:

E-J, you'll be internationally famous soon at this rate! glad the painting showed up. Of course she loved it--what else? :p

Purple? Can't go wrong with purple, as far as I'm concerned. Looking forward to seeing it Sooz! I bet you'll feel a lot safer with the new breaker box. We have a friend who is an electrician and wants to trade some work for pastel classes for his wife. I said, you betcha!!! We have a breaker box that isn't quite as bad as the one you mention, but the house is on separate circuits and very odd. This is a 'handyman special'--home built. For instance, we're told that all of the used car salesmen from one of the Ford dealerships showed up to do the framing--and there isn't a plumb or level spot in this house. (See--proof they're all CROOKED!) I could tell tales.... but will resist. Glad yours is improved!

Have a blast with your granddaughters, Kat!

Okay, gotta get on with the framing. :( I have five minis to do up, need to cut a mat for a hummer I sold and must refit some old frames with new paintings. I should be delighted to have to do this!! (Must work on the attitude thing. I love framing. I love framing. I love framing. Not working. I'll do the framing and stop complaining. I'll do the...)

Deborah

Mary Robinson
07-27-2004, 05:27 PM
Mary: I have a bunch of prismacolor pencils, I'll have to try them on Wallis. Does anyone know if you can mix colored pencil with pastels? I am trying to get detail on a portrait and only have a handful of pastel pencils, but lots of colored pencils.

Sorry about your roof, Katy. As for the colored pencils and pastels, yes you can mix them, I've mixed acrylic and pastel, watercolor, pastel and colored pencil and also pastel and colored pencil all on the Wallis.

Mary

Kitty Wallis
07-27-2004, 07:14 PM
(Kitty, I think I'll be needing a roll of the Wallis before I head out on the road :D . A really big, huge roll. I'll strap it into the top bunk if I have to in order to bring it along :evil: )
Mary

Our new roll stock just arrived and we're busy shipping it out to the stores and catalogs. And we still have the seconds. Do you want Museum or Professional? What is your departure date? You can PM me if you like.

Khadres
07-27-2004, 08:19 PM
Kitty, you don't ever have any mill ends or defective Belgian Mist, do ya? I still have oodles of the pro white right now, but can always use the grey...

Wowee Deborah, so glad you're having to frame! (cause that means you sold so much it's a MUST now!) I know what you mean about the handy man thing...the back half of our family room level was "home-did" and what a mess it is! Popped nails, ripply walls, and oddball closet you canNOT find a door to fit, and a badly done tiled cieling just for starters...I'm tempted to have the wall for Mom's old room torn out entirely and make the laundry room and that one large sewing and crafts room. Actually, hubby, older daughter and I finished out our whole basement in Canon City and did a WONDERFUL job...true it took us almost a year, but....I think that's what makes me so mad when I look at our mess downstairs....I don't think these people had a clue.

And Katy, I can sympathize with the leaky roof thing, too....the roof on our patio has become a sieve and there is a persistent leak from the master bath down into the laundry area...can't find where the leak is coming from to save our lives.

And about the Prismacolors, etc. on Wallis...doesn't the Wallis eat those pencils at an alarming rate??? I need to try a mini, I guess.

Mary, it sounds like you're getting set for a grand adventure! Sounds like fun! Someday hubby and I want to drive back east and see all the areas of the country we've never been to before... Hey, when and where is that next big pastel convention thingy everybody talks about? Might make a good excuse for a trip!

bogbeast
07-27-2004, 08:26 PM
Deborah and E-J, congrats! hope the froaming is almost done by now, Deborah. You know the old saying, sooner started, sooner done! Now, if only I lived by that one (I never mentioned my other moniker, queen of delay...)

The grandkids sound like lots of work and fun! hope the week goes well for all!

My son called last week to tell me that he is going to sew some Renaissance Festival-type stuff, and post it on E-Bay for sale, as a friend of his is doing--so my old sewing machine will get some good use! wish I were nearer to advise him, but I'm sure he'll eventually figure it out--he may get a basic sewing techniques book for his 25th birthday (is it really in 2 months?!?) at this rate! :D

I am slogging along--either fighting off a cold every other day, or having a flare of minor CFS stuff, can't tell which until I'm either definitely sick, or not. My partner and I have just been realizing how massive the changes in our lives have been in this past year, and that no matter how positive it has mostly been, it's still stressful--so I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that I sometimes feel stressed for no apparent reason--and that will always kick up the CFS symptoms. Pooey!! We also are beginning to suspect that two women in the throes of hot flashes and other mid-century delights are probably exuding a lethal amount of hormones in this some apartment at times!

Kitty Wallis
07-27-2004, 10:08 PM
Kitty, you don't ever have any mill ends or defective Belgian Mist, do ya? I still have oodles of the pro white right now, but can always use the grey...
... Hey, when and where is that next big pastel convention thingy everybody talks about? Might make a good excuse for a trip!

We don't make rolls in the Belgian Mist, only sheets and pads. We've had very few requests for rolls in the color. When the new shipment of Belgian Mist comes in (about 3 weeks from now) we will have some seconds of small and large sheets. Our discounts in seconds are a deal if you are here and can look thru them, but not with our shipping added on. Many catalogs give almost as much discount for the firsts as we do for the seconds.

I think the IAPS convention is May 2006 in Raleigh NC? or near there.

Deborah Secor
07-27-2004, 10:24 PM
"The next IAPS Biennial Convention will be held May 6-8, 2005 at the North Raleigh Hilton in Raleigh, North Carolina." (from International Association of Pastel Societies website) I really hope to be able to go...but not sure that I will. I can't encourage you all enough to be there if you can! I've been to all but one and they are terrific!!

Framing goes on apace. I haven't forced myself much. <watery smile>

Deborah

Mary Robinson
07-27-2004, 10:29 PM
Woo hoo, look what I found today.

Mary

Mikki Petersen
07-28-2004, 03:49 AM
Way to go Mary! What a great sign for someone anticipating a lifestyle change!

Deborah Secor
07-29-2004, 03:27 PM
I'm just feeling so good and so optimistic today that I thought I'd post a ((((big hug)))) for everyone! It's one of those lovely late summer days where the sky is so blue and the sunflowers so bright, the air is clear from the rain we've had every afternoon--and all seems right with the world at the moment. I'm grateful for my home and family and friends like you all here at the pastel forum. :D

So I hope you have a sunny day today, no matter the weather! ;)

Deborah

Mikki Petersen
07-29-2004, 03:57 PM
Well, Deborah, here's a ((((BIG HUG)))) back at you! Thanks! Don't you just love days that are so sparkling and beautiful, you are just glad to be alive to enjoy them?

We are still HOT and dusty and dry...no change on the horizon until about November. Then we will be cold, wet and muddy until about April again. So much for California weather...

I'm off to the bookstore to look for a couple good books on composition!

Happy painting, everyone!

Kathryn Wilson
07-29-2004, 04:20 PM
{{{{Hugs to you too Deborah}}}}}} Took the girls to the North Carolina Museum of Art today . . . and wouldn't you know ;) :D . . . the youngest who is 11, looked at a male nude sculpture and said "gross!!!". I just hugged her and said it was beautiful and said it was okay - she seemed more comfortable after that. Timely, huh - :)

bnoonan
07-29-2004, 04:27 PM
Popping my head above all the mats and frames and glass and window cleaner to say hello!!!

It's been nuts! Mom left after a fabulous weeks visit and now it's framing central in the house - I've taken up every room of the apartment with mats and frames and have more to go. (Wish I could say I sold something but I haven't :( )

I miss everyone and wish I could be around more - it's tough right now with everything so busy but I'm here in spirit more than you know.

Barb

Mikki Petersen
07-29-2004, 05:42 PM
Oh my goodness! Where do you get the money for all those frames??? Never mind...none of my business. :o

Are these photos of yours Barb? They don't look familiar but they look very interesting. I love the three face pots. Good luck!

Kat, I remember an experience like that with my girls at a younger age. They mostly wanted to know why someone famous would want to waste time drawing naked people...clothes are so Kewl!

Mikki Petersen
07-29-2004, 05:48 PM
Waahhh! I got stung by a bee yesterday on the soft underside of my upper left arm. Today it is very inflamed and hot. Just spoke to the doc who says I must come in for a check because a cellulits so close to my heart is quite dangerous. Darn bee!

bnoonan
07-29-2004, 08:48 PM
Mikki - the same frames are used and re-used for my photographs and my paintings. It's affordable once you make the initial investment. Storage is another whole nightmare.

Oh and Aaron Brothers is having a sale right now. Buy one frame get next one for a penny.

Barb

Deborah Secor
07-29-2004, 09:43 PM
Those look like pretty good frames, Barb--is it glass or plexi? And may I ask the cost--or can you give me a link? We don'thave Aaron Brothers here... I'm framing, too! Got several of my 8x10s framed today, as well as an 18x15. Still have to cut mats for the others--oh, I framed one and hate it! Under glass the whole thing got flat looking. Now I need to decide whether to fix it up and frame it again or put something else in there...

Mikki, beestings can be pretty serious. Take care!

Deborah

Mikki Petersen
07-29-2004, 10:39 PM
Oh, Deborah, isn't that a shame. I've had that happen with a few of mine. It's like the light gets cut off or something and they just "turn off". One of the tricks I have picked up, since I work in a studio with an Ott Light, is before I call it done, I turn off all the lights and view it in normal room light (low natural light). I can see then what will happen if any light gets blocked and what it will look like under soft lighting in someone's living roon. It's almost as good a value check as digitizing in black and white. If it fades, I then work on it in low light until it comes back, so to speak.

Uh oh! I love Aaron Bros. penny sales. Unfortunately, I can't buy anything right now...saving up for New Mexico. I only frame what is going to be hung by someone and since I don't show my work anywhere except the 'net, I don't have a great need. Someday, I hope to have a need ;) .

Now wouldn't you think since my hubby is a woodworker with a big old wood shop, he could make frames? But no...I keep threatening to go out there and make some myself.

Well, the doc says ice and benedryl and if I can't breathe, to call 911. :eek:
Now I'd like to think that would be a natural response to not being able to breathe, wouldn't you? Anyway, I just had a nice long nap, courtesy of benedryl...

Deborah Secor
07-29-2004, 11:18 PM
That's a good idea, Mikki, turning off the lights. I rushed this one, framing it too soon. I know better! :p

Um, my hubby was a professional woodworker for over 20 years and he never made a frame for me! It's a case of 'the cobbler's kids never have shoes'--he was sick to death of working and wouldn't make extraneous things in his off time. Now he's not woodworking and has no off time--so I'm sunk on that idea, too!

Deborah

sundiver
07-30-2004, 02:01 AM
Yes, Benedryl, Mikki, that's what I was going to say. Or a non-drowsy antihistimine, but I think you have to have a prescription for those in the US. Reactine is what I use; no sleepies with that.
I've been home almost a week but have been too busy to get in here. I have dialup here at the cottage-sooo slow, and it ties up the phone. I.ve been in the AMAE forum but that's about it.
Loaded up on art supplies in Toronto and Quebec City (Holbeins for $1.95 Cdn. each at Homer De Serres!), then sold some paintings when I got home, so the supplies are paid for.:)
We heard from Julie, who is camping on the island of Siros and having a blast (and hopefully learning German, because school starts Aug 9th). We miss her terribly.
It's been a grey, wet, cool summer so far, and it's half over. I hope the weather improves, because we're going to the Magdeline Islands next week. It's a 6-hour boat ride to get there
It's 2:01 a.m. and if I have any sense I'll go to bed!

meowmeow
07-30-2004, 12:16 PM
Ouch Mikki! That's no fun! I hope it feels better soon.
A late congratulations Deborah! That is very exciting...although not surprising to me in light of the work you do.
Love your photos Barb! I'm not here much lately either. I think we are all too busy!!!!

bnoonan
07-30-2004, 01:42 PM
Mikki - glad you are ok and get to nap. sorry it's under those circumstances however. My dad was a beekeeper and I never got stung once. He on the other hand had so many stings he couldn't tell anymore if he'd had a barb in him or not. Maybe you should try that method? :evil:

Dee - www.aaronbrothers.com - I think the closest is in Arizona. Oh and congratulations on your sales in Santa Fe - load up that gallery so the WC crowd can go check out your work!

Sandy - best of luck if you have a show this weekend. By the way - congratulations on your sales.

Wendy - glad to hear Julie is enjoying her trip and you are getting out and enjoying life.

Off to more projects. later... Barb

Mikki Petersen
07-30-2004, 03:47 PM
So far, all the benedryl is doing is making me sleep. My arm is very swollen, red and itchy. After the horrible bout with poison oak a few months ago, I'm not tolerating itchy well. Thanks, Barb, but I'll pass on your "cure". I've been stung by bees many times over the years but I've never had a reaction like this one. Once, when I was about ten, a friend and I were picking blackberries and the friend's dog upset a nest of yellowjackets. I got stung 12 times. The firend was running beside his dog and got stung over a hundred times and ended up in the hospital. My little sister froze in fright right next to the nest and didn't get even one sting. I had no reaction from all those stings except the pain of the stings for a few hours. Guess I'll chalk this one up to getting old and to diabetes.

Deborah, I'm so happy for your sales. How nice that must be. What better validation of your skill than for people to actually pay money to own your work!

Sandy, good luck with the next show.

Barb, happy framing.

I hope to finish up the violets today, if I can stay awake long enough...then I'm going to pull out my sketch pad and do sketches from a bunch of photos I'm interested in painting.

Happy Painting!

Khadres
07-30-2004, 05:04 PM
Waahhh! I got stung by a bee yesterday on the soft underside of my upper left arm. Today it is very inflamed and hot. Just spoke to the doc who says I must come in for a check because a cellulits so close to my heart is quite dangerous. Darn bee!

Indeed! I hope you do fend off a bout of cellulitis! That stuff is horrid (having had it in both lower legs before due to injuries). You could also be halfway allergic to bee stings....best to have it looked at!

Deborah Secor
08-01-2004, 11:09 PM
I found an 'envy' smiley...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Aug-2004/23609-Envy.gif

Mikki Petersen
08-01-2004, 11:36 PM
Oh, goody! Deborah, can you see if Scott will add it to the smiley face library?

Deborah Secor
08-01-2004, 11:49 PM
I saw it in the Site Discussions--someone had suggested that already! But I suspect Scott is too busy to do anything as trivial as add smileys right now. Maybe someday! For now I figure we can save it and plunk it in when needed--if we think of it!

Deborah

bogbeast
08-02-2004, 12:51 AM
More smileys! Excellent!! Now, where can I use an "envy" smiley?

I'm looking forward to tomorrow. We had company off and on since Thursday, which we had been looking forward to--but it has turned out to be quite annoying, and I will be glad when they leave!

We thought we would do a bit of the tourist thing, maybe go to one or two of the cheaper places to eat around here, etc., but it turned out that the two individuals (one in particular) had virtually no money and expected us to feed and entertain as well as house them--without letting us know ahead of time!! :( Now, I'm glad to help out a friend in trouble, and if we'd been prepared, we could have had some food available, but with one of us a grad student and the other on disability, and it being the end of the month, we aren't exactly flush.

Far more than that, though, was the presumption involved--the one expected to even mooch cigarettes off my partner for the weekend, even though my partner has quit smoking! Yet the woman spent money on books... and no offer of a couple bucks to help with gas, no help in the kitchen, no expressions of gratitude, just "What's for lunch? I'm hungry!" as if they were teenagers! :mad:

There--done ranting! It was an unexpected and unpleasant surprise from someone whose company we have enjoyed in the past, and a little communication would have made all the difference. I guess I'm becoming an old fogey at 50--but I hope my son, who is the same age as the primary offender, would do things very differently.

Prior to that, it has been a decent week. I tried to do the broken color technique from Jackie's "Techniques" thread last weekend, and hated it. But I re-did the same picture in a different manner, and am pleased with the result. As soon as I've deepened a couple shadows, and changed one bit, I'll post it. I'd wanted to do the WDE, and still may, but the timing of company has interfered, and I doubt I'll start something at this hour. Besides, I'm a little injured--took a flying dive over my dog onto the sidewalk yesterday and managed to skin both the heel and knuckles of my right hand, and the palm of my left is a gorgeous shade of purple and blue! Fortunately, no serious injury, just something to whine about. I just wish this body bounced a little better! :p

Mikki, I hope your bee sting is mostly healed--they can be really nasty! and that the rest of you have had a good weekend at your various activities.!

Libby

Mikki Petersen
08-02-2004, 04:22 AM
Libby, what a terrible experience! Almost sound like my older daughter was visiting :rolleyes: . She has this expectation that what others have will be shared at her desire. Can be VERY annoying! Oh well...live and learn.

ouch! that fall sounds painful both to body and pride. Hope you heal quickly. My beesting is getting better rapidly but still itches like crazy. Suddenly, I'm bee phobic...never have been before.

Hope you have a much better week coming up.

meowmeow
08-02-2004, 07:22 AM
I don't blame you for venting, Libby. That sounds gallling. And then to fall over the dog...ouch! Sounds likeyou had a rough week. I hope this one is better.
I can understand your beeing bee-phobic for a bit, Mikki. Glad it's feeling better.

Kathryn Wilson
08-02-2004, 07:35 AM
Libby - I've copied your post over to the new weekly scumble - I know folks will want to read it!

Sandy, Mikki - want to join us over in the new scumble?