PDA

View Full Version : Cracked cat cabs!

snootyvixen
07-25-2004, 06:34 PM
OK - I've been on a cat kick lately, and I had two cats that cracked right across the face (along the mandrel hole) as I took them off the mandrel.

At first they were going to go to my MIL (who takes great delight in gluing my beads back together so she can use them!), but then I thought that I'd see if I could make them into cabochons by slumping them.

So, I took my two cats and tried to stick the halves back together with fusing glue (it's the consistency of water and just wasn't strong enough), so I just gently placed them together and put them in the kiln.

The heat of the kiln just forced the pieces apart, and at a temp of about 1200 degrees I was able to get in there and kind of poke them together - well, one stuck and one didn't.

And, so you see the results - black and white kitty worked beautifully! But opal yellow kitty didn't "stick together" and now looks more like Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer sans antlers! You can see also that the ears disappeared - not sure where they went, but they both started out with 2 earrs, honest!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Jul-2004/14836-b040725_cat_cabs.jpg

Now I just wish I was one of those clever people who can bead around cabs!

Vikki

MegannsMom
07-25-2004, 07:03 PM
CUTE CUTE CUTE! And great idea! You never know until you try! Which brings me to my next point: I am one of those "clever" people...hehe, blush, blush....And was wondering if you would be interested in a free, yes you heard me, FREE sample of Lacys' Stiff Stuff? Get your mind out of the gutter...it is a fabulous beading foundation! Comes complete with my long winded instructions. You could try it for yourself! :D PM me if you are interested....
~Cindy

Donni
07-25-2004, 07:05 PM
Viks - they are a "put a smile on ya dial" pair! too funny , too cute... this is what happens when you get put under pressure and in the heat... hahahahah a meltdown literaly

The one on the right looks like an owl (shot thru the ... er..... belly!) gross... ok its too early in the morning to even TRY being funny! Cute experiments!!!!!!

snootyvixen
07-25-2004, 07:10 PM
I'd love to say yes, but I still have one of Diane Breigleib's (sp?) wonderful faces sitting here, half beaded around! I'm one of those who starts a million things and only ever finishes one, ya know? LOL!!!

I have a lot of ultrasuede scraps expressly for that purpose, but I just never get around to using it!

Vikki

snootyvixen
07-25-2004, 07:13 PM
The one on the right looks like an owl (shot thru the ... er..... belly!) gross... ok its too early in the morning to even TRY being funny! Cute experiments!!!!!!

LOL! I see the owl too! I could just glue a little beak on there haha!

vikki

EDIT: Hey!!! I just made Patron Saint!!!

rosebead
07-25-2004, 07:16 PM
LOL! I see the owl too! I could just glue a little beak on there haha!

vikki

EDIT: Hey!!! I just made Patron Saint!!!

Congratulations Saint Snooty! :clap: