PDA

View Full Version : First set of "dot beads", something different for me!

StefaniBeads
07-25-2004, 01:33 PM
No "swirlies" added to these! :p ;)

I am so happy with my wrist support (TP rolls wrapped in foil, lol!) and it's really helping me with dot placement. Not that I shake a lot, but I've been making beads for a year now, and with my elbows and forearms/wrists unsupported. So rather than crooked wonky dot beads I said 'forget the dots' for a while until I can get set up right.

Well, dang, the TP rolls are something I should have thought of a long time ago. While I'm no Larry Scott, these are waaaaay improved from all my practice beads before! Just tootin' my own horn here, lol! I can't wait to get out there and make more, this makes me feel like a "newbie" all over again! :)

The black and (what a washed out pink!) lt rose bead is sort of big (for me anyway), about 22mm. That gave me more room to work, actually. I still need to work on getting the dot sizes evened out and melting them in a little more to get rid of the "smurf dots". The ivory/amber (love this combo!) are medium sized, about 13-14mm, a lot bigger than what I usually make. I don't feel I'm ready to sell these kinds of beads yet.....we'll see. My future goal is to make them really small. We'll have to see about that too, lots of PPP ahead!

theonlyduda
07-25-2004, 02:10 PM
VERY NICE DOTS!!!!!! :clap: :clap:

I'm glad you are happy with your TP discovery! :) They look great. (I'm also in love with ivory and amber at the moment myself.) Can't wait to see more! :D

Toxey's Treasures
07-25-2004, 02:24 PM
Wonderful dots Lisa!! I don't think you need much PPP for those, you seem to have it almost perfect. :clap: :clap:

JavaGirlBT
07-25-2004, 03:00 PM
Lisa, your dot beads rock! :clap: :clap:

dread
07-25-2004, 03:06 PM
Nice dot placement - TP rolls hmmmmm.

justlilolme
07-25-2004, 03:48 PM
Nice dots- great job! I do shake alot...I think I'm doing better as far as my dots, but it does take some effort at times....How did you make a support from TP rolls? Sounds like something I'd like to try ;)

StefaniBeads
07-25-2004, 04:03 PM
Nice dots- great job! I do shake alot...I think I'm doing better as far as my dots, but it does take some effort at times....How did you make a support from TP rolls? Sounds like something I'd like to try ;)

Get heavy duty foil if you can, and wrap the TP in a long piece of foil (long enough to go around the roll twice), press the ends closed, and use a little tape on the sides (the "seam") to keep that from coming open. I either lay them on their sides for my elbows, or as I discovered yesterday, prop them up on end for my wrists! Cheap & Easy!

(if you are ever "out of TP" and need an emergency roll, and not the "camouflage" one in your DH's hunting pack (don't dare to take HIS!), you can use one of your two rolls! LOL! JK! :D )

emmytr1
07-25-2004, 04:15 PM
O.k. I'll share, acctually my dad made these by mistake. He made me some mandrels and thought he was making me mandrel holders but they are wonderful arm rests. PVC pipe and muffler clamps with screws on the bottom that you can adjust the height. They rest your forearms wonderfully.

Mary lou

StefaniBeads
07-25-2004, 04:54 PM
O.k. I'll share, acctually my dad made these by mistake. He made me some mandrels and thought he was making me mandrel holders but they are wonderful arm rests. PVC pipe and muffler clamps with screws on the bottom that you can adjust the height. They rest your forearms wonderfully.

Mary lou

Wow, that's sounds great! Do you have a picture of these? My TP's are great, but I'm not able to clamp them to the table, lol!

KikkiSweden
07-25-2004, 06:04 PM
I don't feel I'm ready to sell these kinds of beads yet.....we'll see.

Why not? They are perfect!

The ivory/amber combo is fantastic, one of my favourites too.

CharleneN
07-25-2004, 08:32 PM
They are beautiful beads!

emmytr1
07-25-2004, 10:18 PM
I tried the pic. thing and it took forever, I'll try again. If it doesn't work it's about a 12" peice of PVC with a muffler clamp on it wherever it feels comphy for your forearm. I guess I'll just have to try to get the pic to upload.

Mary Lou

emmytr1
07-25-2004, 10:20 PM
O.K. it worked and these are the best, thanks to my 75yr old Daddy for figuring it out for me.

Mary Lou

starlightdesigns
07-25-2004, 11:40 PM
Another idea is to cut down the side of a coffee can, spread the ends it over a slim piece of wood, hammer it to the wood with nails, and bend the thing into a nice upside down U shape.

I made this one, and it works great, although my stringer work still needs LOTS of PPP, but it's better than before I had this thing. I wedged mine against the base of the torch with an L bracket to keep it in place. Oh yeah, and after you cut the can, be sure to tape up the raw edges to keep from cutting yourself as you work it.

dananichols
07-25-2004, 11:42 PM
Applause, applause - beautiful dots!! Love the arm rest idea as well!!

StefaniBeads
07-26-2004, 01:42 PM
Wow! Great ideas for the arm rests! And these won't fall off the table like my TP rolls do! :D