PDA

View Full Version : Olmec priest's head

Chiara Katerina
10-08-2001, 07:24 AM
Hi there!
I have here a pic of a Gigantic Olmec Priest's head. I love this pic so I decided to make a painting out of it. The problem is that I have never painted rocks before and specially like this one, among so much green. I was wondering what colors I should mix together to get the dark and light zones of this rock. Can anyone give me some hints...?
I may try yellow ochre but will it go together fine with all this green...? Should I use some green on the rock too...?
I want this to be very impressionist. I also need a hint on the grass.
Thank you friends!!!
Chiarina

colorme
10-10-2001, 11:21 AM
i like how this looks now, i wouldn't paint it if it was in my yard..it looks cool btw.

Leaflin
11-08-2001, 07:49 PM
Hi Chiarina :)
I love your priests head, great subject matter.
You didn't say what medium you are going to use so I will go with watercolour :)
I would start with a wash of new gamboge and burnt sienna.
For the shadow area I would use a wash of burnt sienna and cerulean blue. These two colours do not like each other and tend to seperate which leaves you with a granular texture that looks great on rocks/stone. If you want a darker value add a touch of French Ultramarine. To add more texture I would 'splatter' some burnt sienna and raw sienna (separately). Then a final 'splatter' of the burnt sienna/cerulean blue mixture.
Hope this has been of some help to you :)
Best way is just experiment to find what works for you :)