PDA

View Full Version : Experiments with Base Color

sarakay
07-24-2004, 10:05 PM
Several people have asked me to make this bead with a green background, so I tried a couple of different colors....I still like the ventrofond lavender blue the best (top right bead). Thoughts?

sara

isle-of-cats
07-24-2004, 10:12 PM
Several people have asked me to make this bead with a green background, so I tried a couple of different colors....I still like the ventrofond lavender blue the best (top right bead). Thoughts?

sara

Sara~ They are all beautiful! :clap:

I really like the green!
The blue is very pretty!
The lavendar-blue is super pretty!!
I am not really into yellow, it is nice, but it is my least favorite if I had to pick a least favorite...

Such a beautiful, refined style :D

MegannsMom
07-24-2004, 10:31 PM
Hey, nice beads, lady! :D ! I like the lavender blue as well as the blue, but I prefer the greens....they go so well with the colors of the flowers. I love the way you have frosted them; they seem so serene...like an oriental garden. I wonder how an even darker shade of green would look? I'd like to see that! But, I really like the color green!

it ain't easy being green........................ :music: :D

~Cindy

Toxey's Treasures
07-24-2004, 10:39 PM
Beautiful beads!! I love them all, but like you, I like the lavendar best.

Did you etch those? It doesn't look like the flowers are etched, only the base beads. I don't know how you can do that.

Very beautiful!!

sarakay
07-24-2004, 10:40 PM
Really? The green ones? I was thinking I should try thinning out the green color by making the base bead with mostly clear and just a thin coat of the green glass. Green's my favorite color but I just don't quite like it in this bead. But I'll give a darker color a try to see what it does. :)

sara

sarakay
07-24-2004, 10:44 PM
Beautiful beads!! I love them all, but like you, I like the lavendar best.

Did you etch those? It doesn't look like the flowers are etched, only the base beads. I don't know how you can do that.

Very beautiful!!

They are etched very lightly. I have semi-old dip-n-etch and I dunk the beads for three minutes. Some glass etches faster than others, which is why sometimes the flowers don't look as etched. You can also use glue as a resist. I use elmer's school glue because it's thick and doesn't run.

This is what the beads looked like before...big difference!!
sara

Toxey's Treasures
07-24-2004, 11:07 PM
Thanks Sarakay!! That is an awesome difference. I like both versions, but the etched ones just look so soft!!

Thanks for the tips. I've got to get some etching solution.

GinaJ
07-24-2004, 11:10 PM
I think they are all great, I don't think I could even pick a favorite, I'd have to have them all.

Shawn T.
07-24-2004, 11:13 PM
Sara,
Hey sweetie, I miss you!
Thoughts....
My fav is the lavander one also.
Then the green
Next the uranium yellow
Last but not least cause it is still beautiful is the blue,

I think the lavander bead show off the beautiful flowers the best.
Shawn

kenchunk
07-24-2004, 11:22 PM
Sara, they are all beautiful!! My favorite is the blue one, but I love all of them actually.

Sachiko

DebbieSue
07-24-2004, 11:54 PM
I think they're all beautiful, but my least fav is the light green bottom left. It has a bit of a washed out look to it. Too pale. (It could be the picture itself though...) I think the other 3 are equally gorgeous though, so I couldn't pick a favorite.

Debbie

KTO
07-25-2004, 12:31 AM
Wow - the etching really takes them to the next level. I like the top right the best...but I'm a purple girl for sure.

Very Nice :clap:

sarakay
07-25-2004, 01:30 AM
Thanks for all the feedback! I still like the purple one the best. I had an awful time striking the flower colors today...it was either too little or way to much. I'll try some other greens.

Has anybody had problems with the pale lavender color (lower right)? I find that it's really fussy about annealing. It has to go into the kiln with a bit of a glow and really soak. I've lost quite a few beads using this color. Even with a good annealing schedule, I lose a lot of the beads made with pale lavender. I've made some lovely beads, and find then broken the next day, or when I'm cleaning them. :crying:

MegannsMom
07-25-2004, 02:08 AM
Really? The green ones? I was thinking I should try thinning out the green color by making the base bead with mostly clear and just a thin coat of the green glass. Green's my favorite color but I just don't quite like it in this bead. But I'll give a darker color a try to see what it does. :)

sara

Just a quick note; my 7 year old likes them in this order:
Purple
Yellow
Blue
Green
She made me tell you! ( I still like the green the best)
Maybe try a deep topaz? A paler form of Rootbeer? A deep Emerald......ahhh, GREEEEEEEN.............LOVE GREEEEEEEEN.
~Cindy

mistymade
07-25-2004, 02:28 AM
I like all of them, but the lavender blue is my fav. The etching really gives them an elegant look. Beautiful!

KikkiSweden
07-25-2004, 07:19 AM
I love the green one! It's gorgeous!!!!

If you dont mind sharing, what colour do you use for the flowers?

calisto
07-25-2004, 07:26 AM
Hi Sara,

they all look so nice - but IŽlove both greens, the first and also the uranium yellow? one...oh yes I know IŽm a green girl

CharleneN
07-25-2004, 10:01 AM
I loove them all....esp etched....way cool.

StefaniBeads
07-25-2004, 10:46 AM
They are lovely with the etched finish! I can't choose, because I love them all! :)

NYCindy
07-25-2004, 10:59 AM
I like green in general and the contrast between the green and the peachy color is striking! Love the beads! Definitely keep the green in your repetoire! :-)

sara

double S
07-25-2004, 12:11 PM
They are all incredible but GREEN, GREEN, GREEEN :D is my favorite. Like the contrast better beween flower color and base in that one.
Lisa S

kandice
07-25-2004, 02:18 PM
I love them all - and think they look wonderful etched. They'd even look wonderful together in one piece with some matching etched spacers. Beautiful!!

scupltorgirl
07-25-2004, 03:34 PM
I love your beads everytime I see them. Each color is great in it's own way (depending on an individual's preference, skintones, outfit....). Etching brings out the subtleties and makes them truly lovely.

Iona
07-25-2004, 03:39 PM
Sara, Those beads are just lovely, and I love the color of the flowers. I'm a purple kind of person, but the green is nice too. I think they look better etched and the bead hole doesn't show up as much, very dainty etched. Iona

Daphne of Dilluvian
07-25-2004, 04:33 PM
I stopped breathing for a second when I saw them. I love them in a family grouping like that and don't think I could seperate them to choose; however, if I was tortured, I think that I would choose the blue on the bottom right. A little Japanese Garden right there on my wrist was what I thought. I stayed up way too late watching "The Last Samurai", so hard not to draw the connection. Very tranquil. Wow.

Daphne

MistyCherie
07-25-2004, 05:16 PM
MmMmMM.. *drool*

I love love these beads Sara! I have wondered for awhile how they would look with green--and I love it! (Green is also my favorite color.) Here are the colors in my order of favorites:

Green
Lavender
Blue
Yellowy-green (I'd prefer a deeper yellow than a yellow-green I think.)

Have you thought of doing them on transparent grey? I like the rootbeer/amber idea too that someone mentioned.

Nummy. Someday, when my budget is back in black, I will get me one of these!

=)

-M

sarakay
07-25-2004, 05:36 PM
If you dont mind sharing, what colour do you use for the flowers?

Not at all! The flowers are white, carnelian, and striking orange.

sarakay
07-25-2004, 11:57 PM
Thank you all for your feedback. I have a huge head right now with all the nice comments. :)

I'll try a darker green, amber/rootbeer, and a light transparent grey, and a few other colors this weekend while lots of you are off playing at the gathering. Oh, I wish I was going, but I'll be having a good time melting glass with Marjorie Langston at her studio in Chattanooga...home of many of my bead designs and super fun bead retreats!

I have a funny story about amber glass....many years ago I bought quite a bit of "amber" glass...it turned out to be striking red and orange...wouldn't you know striking orange turned out to be one of my favorite colors?

Again, thanks so much for your feedback!
sara

Beth Myers
07-26-2004, 01:37 AM
Sara these are lovely.
I like them all, why not do a mix and match set using several of those colors together?
Beth

!ngridh
07-26-2004, 05:38 PM
Sara these are lovely.
I like them all, why not do a mix and match set using several of those colors together?
Beth

WOW ...I just LOVE them...and I mean really really love them...Somehow they are not the usual flower beads for me...the softness with the etching...and the pastel colors... I can't figure out what more to say other than when I looked at them it was love at first sight...and that doesn't happen often...ok maybe it happens once and a while but ......

lol.... I just love the look of these beads!
all of them

sarakay
07-26-2004, 11:12 PM
Holy cow! I had an auction up for a few of these beads and it ended tonight. I couldn't believe the price!!
sara

!ngridh
08-06-2004, 12:00 AM

sara

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Aug-2004/10727-floral_four_colors2.jpg

eat your hearts out .... I got the Pink one....and while the photo is quite expert...to hold one in your hands allows you to bask in the glow...quite radiant beads!

thank yOU!

sarakay
08-06-2004, 12:26 AM
[IMG]eat your hearts out .... I got the Pink one....and while the photo is quite expert...to hold one in your hands allows you to bask in the glow...quite radiant beads!

thank yOU!

Thanks, Ingrid! I really wish I could capture the glowy stuff in the beads. It just doesn't photograph, at least when I have the camera in my hands.

I have a whole new batch in several different colors. By the time I got them cleaned and etched, it was too late to photograph them...it was a two-hour drive home from work tonight (rain in Atlanta during rush hour * broken A/C = awful...try one hour behind a truck filled with cows in the heat...whew!).

sara, who's still wondering why I want to call you "Karen"...major brain poof on my part...maybe it's the lingering cow scent. :eek:

sarakay
08-06-2004, 07:57 PM
Here are some more colors...clear, pale aqua, amber, and a blue...light, I think. I really like the pale aqua. I'm not so sure about the blue.

I tried a rootbeer color, and the black lines got lost.

sara

sarakay
08-06-2004, 08:01 PM
The whole strand...I think it looks like candy. :D

Lara
08-06-2004, 08:14 PM
I too like the pale aqua, but the entire strand together, my oh my, too pretty.

Lara

MegannsMom
08-06-2004, 10:35 PM
:clap: :clap: ! I REALLY like them! I am still enamored of the GREENS.....but I'm torn by the clear now! They look so frosty and cool....I see them around someones neck, against a golden tan, maybe with a peach colored scoop neck camisole style blouse....WOW! But they would also be gorgeous with a winter white outfit...sigh. Oh, to be the lucky one to have to make those decisions!!
~Cindy

sarakay
08-06-2004, 10:41 PM
:clap: :clap: ! I REALLY like them! I am still enamored of the GREENS.....but I'm torn by the clear now! They look so frosty and cool....I see them around someones neck, against a golden tan, maybe with a peach colored scoop neck camisole style blouse....WOW! But they would also be gorgeous with a winter white outfit...sigh. Oh, to be the lucky one to have to make those decisions!!
~Cindy

Thanks! I really need help in this area...I can't design a piece of jewelry to save my life, nor do I know how to accessorize an outfit.

sara, the fashion-challenged. :eek:

MegannsMom
08-07-2004, 01:03 AM
Thanks! I really need help in this area...I can't design a piece of jewelry to save my life, nor do I know how to accessorize an outfit.

As soon as I saw those beads, that picture popped into my head...kind of like an ad in some glossy magazine; those beads are definetaly worthy of such an ad! They are some fabulous work!! :D oooh...a close-up of a dark haired, dark skinned model, white "fur" hat, white low-necked sweater, white wool coat,white gloves with one tiny peach colored button,( holding up the collar of the coat) and of course, YOUR beads around her neck, with plain sterling spacers......a bit "Vogue" or "Harpers Bazaar".....YUM!!
~Cindy

BBsBaubles
08-07-2004, 01:54 AM
Sara!
All of the colors together make a gorgeous set. Even if you wanted to break it down into 2 sets, they would still be fabulous! If you have a difficult time envisioning these in a jewelry piece, I'm sure there are hordes of us out here that would be willing to accept the challenge (raising hand). ;)

Tink
08-07-2004, 01:38 PM
I haven't had much time to peruse WC lately, but I am SO glad I didn't miss this thread! These are STUNNING! :clap:

Beady Deeds
08-07-2004, 02:16 PM
Sara,

Each one is so beautiful! Each, an Oriental treasure! I think you should call them "Madame Butterfly" beads ;) The etching really added so much!

Although green is my favorite color, I think the blue and lavender blue offer more contrast to the leaves in this design.

Thanks for the tip on using glue to resist the etching! I didn't know that!

Jo

sarakay
08-07-2004, 06:21 PM
I think you should call them "Madame Butterfly" beads

I love that name! One of my feral cats is named M Butterfly because she has two spots in the middle of her forehead that look like butterfly markings. I think you just named these beads. :D

Beady Deeds
08-08-2004, 12:36 PM
Sara,

Of course you may use the name I suggested! I would be absolutely delighted if you did!

Jo

Jinx.Garza
08-08-2004, 03:35 PM
Beautiful design, Sara! :clap: I love them all (but the rootbeer).

Jinx

pattykake
08-08-2004, 03:41 PM

Hey Sara - just send them along to me & I'll design a piece just for you..........
and maybe one for me...

They are just too beautiful for words! I particularly like the pale aqua --- and the green --- and the blue --- and the ...... Well, you get the idea.

smiles..........tish