GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Beat It.
Year Created: 2004
Medium: Watercolor
Surface: Watercolor Paper
Dimension: 15 inch wide
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is a really simple one. I did it in about two hours. I just wanted to see about these colors-- but I think maybe it works without say... painting every single brick.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
What do you think? What is this saying if anything?

jerryW
07-22-2004, 07:14 AM
very realistical
the pink sky part could be a gradient, maybe yellow on the left pink on the right.
I agree with the peak thru triangle being pink.

haaf
07-22-2004, 07:59 AM
good suggestion by Jerry, that will be the glue for the whole piece
I like it
Caroline ;)

Diyart
07-22-2004, 09:44 AM
Watch out !!

this is clearly a provoking statement against the establishment of society and against public education--drilling youngsters to become succesfull i.e. adjusted members of society! The piece is finished and complete no necessity to yellow anything whatsowever (OMG).
The agressive statement "beat it" also accuses the boring architecture and the resulting depressing circumstances for the inhabitants, which have left the place obviously. The empty buildings read on the meta level as empty shell of a rotten society without vision for a human future. The pink sky represents the sirup like rethorical bubbles floated down to the people by the leaders of society.. saying : itīs all in your perspective just put up the pink glases..

The artist has torn down the vain mask of the bourgeois convention that everyone is his own master of good luck.
No surprise that the artist can do without any technical super fiddling schnick schnack !! Consequently the work lies outside the room of bourgeois expectations of esthetic and the new home decoration movement.

The author recommends to watch this artist further !

Prof.Dr.Dr. Phil.Hab. A.Quarell
Polly Gugelhupf Museum

Pam B.
07-22-2004, 10:05 AM
It works for me with or without the yellow............does it have to mean something??????? Just gives me that inner city watch your back feeling!

balfour44
07-22-2004, 01:22 PM
Very stark, cold piece. the chioce of color gives an eerie feel to it. very powerful, emotional, provoking work.

sohodirect
07-22-2004, 02:10 PM
wonderful painting. It shows the twilight of a once vibrant civilization, fading into the decay of self destruction through the emotional impotence of those who can only find fullfillment through the negative emotions of despair.

I know you said it was only a quick study for the sake of the colors, but I would hang it on my wall just as is.

Michael-Ann
07-22-2004, 03:04 PM
I couldn't possibly say it any better than the Professor...so just have to add that I like it.