PDA

View Full Version : whiskey creek

WAVE RIDER
07-21-2004, 09:44 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/07-21-2004/45459_P1010048_copy.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/07-21-2004/45459_P1010077_copy.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: whiskey creek
Year Created: 2004
Medium: Watercolor
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 11 x 17
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
The color seems somewhat distored by the digital camera. Had to stop in the middle of the plain air attempt because of rain.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
One was done in the morning. The other piece was done at home because I was unhappy with the tree on the right.What do you think about the tree on the right side.Also any other comments would be appreciated. Also what do you think about doing a series. It seems very difficult to go over ground that was once covered(Even if it was not successful).
thanks

Michael-Ann
07-21-2004, 11:12 PM
You ask hard questions :D I like them both - even though the scene is the same, the subtle diffrerences give them both their own very individual mood. If someone FORCED me to pick one, I suppose I would go with the first because the dappled strokes are more appealing to me. Gads! That is such a individual taste thing though...

Okay, well, that wasn't helpful at all now was it?!

P.s. the right tree doesn't bother me in either one.

Dana Design
07-21-2004, 11:39 PM
The first is so very good! I don't know which one was done in studio but the first seems so very spontaneous. Lovely color and definition and great water.

As the first is still taped to the board, I'm thinking it was done in studio. If so, I still like it better.

Good work!

Pam B.
07-21-2004, 11:48 PM
While they both have merit. I prefer the top painting as it has a crispness to it. I don't have a problem with either of the trees but the second looks like you have used a wet on wet technique(or perhaps this was the rain?) and it appears slightly muddy.......while with the first painting you can almost feel the breeze blowing!

Great work. :)

WAVE RIDER
07-22-2004, 09:42 AM
Thank you for your comments. The top painting was done outside halfway through I huddled under an unbrella to bring it to some kind of completion.I'm finding that the paintings I do outside seem to have a quality that my studio paintings lack. Perhaps I think too much in the studio? Thanks again for your kind comments.

Gilberte
07-22-2004, 04:51 PM
Nice loose watercolor brushstrokes.
My preference goes to the first one.

bloodjelly
07-22-2004, 05:00 PM
Hi wave rider - my vote also goes to the top version. You wrestled that right side tree into submission, and it works better with the composition now. Maybe a little atmospheric perspective would give more depth? Well it's really nice as is, good job. :)

jerryW
07-22-2004, 05:56 PM
both great
I like the bottom for it's lyricism and unity of feeling
the one above might have better techniques,
but below a single feeling is held throughout seemingly tied together with ochre smudges.

giniaad
07-23-2004, 07:13 PM
(don't see a problem with the tree on the right)

both are well done...
both are consistantly done within themselves...
(hold together well with color and composition)

I agree with Jerry, here, in prefering the second...
while the first is a very pretty picture,
(which I can look at and enjoy)
the second holds an essence...
along with the portail of the place.
almost like the things are secondary...
(even though they are not really)
and the feeling of the place is the primary thing...
the best thing...
I can look at this piece, enjoy it...and breath it too...sense it...
(imho)

great going...!

shirleyq
07-23-2004, 08:19 PM
I like the first one best but a few crisp strokes on the second one and I think I would change my mind. :)