PDA

View Full Version : Paper question

Tony Perrotta
07-21-2004, 07:16 PM
Hi all you pastel guru's. I took my first foray into the pastel world this week, (will post it when my PC is back up.
I used Canson Mi Teintes paper. I noticed right away that the tooth filled up not quickly but before I would have liked it to. Is the sanded paper worth the cost, is it expensive? I have not looked into it at all yet, going to the art store this weekend.
Do many of you guys use the sanded paper?? Who prefers the Canson?? Why??
I'm sure my inexperience has much to do with the problem too.

All in all I love these pastels, much easier than oils,what I did with the pastels took me two years to learn to do in oils. I found that working in pastel has helped me already with my color theory, I also found out that you cannot have too many sticks!

Thanks Tony :)

Khadres
07-22-2004, 02:31 AM
Since I have never been fond of Mi Tientes, I'd say yes, the sanded type papers are well worth the expense...you'll love the tooth they provide, believe me! There are several types of sanded papers available today...the most popular around here lately seems to be Wallis and Art Spectrum Colourfix. Wallis is my favorite, but the nice color range available in the Art Spectrum makes a close second. Personally, I'd steer clear of Sabretooth, but that may just be a personal bias. You can make your own sanded surface by applying pumice mixtures, etc. to a decent grade of paper, but again, personally, it seems like a lot of work and isn't as cheap as one might think. If your art supply shop has either Wallis or Art Spectrum or both, try a sheet or two of each--I think you'll be delighted with how they handle in comparison to Canson, although we do have many on here who get wonderful results with it, as well. Part of the fun of being new to the medium is trying out the different surfaces and NO....you can NEVER have too many sticks! :D

Oops, forgot to mention....if you have a Hobby Lobby nearby, they usually carry Art Spectrum in all the colors and their price isn't bad, especially if they have a sale! Wish they'd carry Wallis, too! I still have to order that online, which is where the best prices are, usually.

Deborah Secor
07-22-2004, 01:00 PM
Explore Soft Pastels-July 2004-ground colors (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202184) Tony, if you're interested in trying the Wallis paper I have information in this thread about how to tone it cheaply and easily so that you can reuse it. It makes the cost, which is about $16-$22 for a 24x36" sheet, much more reasonable. I find that one sheet of the Wallis will make 4 to 8 paintings from 12x18" to 9x12", depending on how I cut it, so unless you want to work larger it starts to look a little more reasonable all the time. For my money, it's absolutely, hands-down, no possible arguments, the BEST choice. So I suggest you give it a try sometime... (And no, I'm not getting any kickbacks from Kitty Wallis! :D )

Deborah

artist_pw
07-22-2004, 02:21 PM
Hi:

For Wallis paper, I've been trying to get my from an online source for the best deal - either Jerry's or ASWExpress because it seems like they have at least semi annual sales that will cut the price of the 24x36 papers to about $16, which is about the normal price for the 18x24 at the local art store.

For Art Spectrum, if you try a local Hobby Lobby, I've been watching Hobby Lobby's weekly sales flyer, and art papers will probably about once every two months go on sale for half price. This is a real deal, because they have Art Spectrum Colourfix 19x27 individual sheets, Arches watercolor blocks and Strathmore sketch and drawing pads. It's worth checking the website too, because you can check the weekly sales items there, and there is also a coupon available online to use in the store that might be helpful because I've seen at least one time it was 50% off artist's papers.

If you choose to try to make your own sanded surface, you can use Museum board and use a prepared ground like ColourFix pastel ground, or Golden Acrylic Pastel ground, Golden Fine Pumice ground. Some artists also mix their own with a mixture of gesso and pumice or marble dust. The advantage to this type of surface is that you can get a more irregular surface if that's what you're interested in. I think I read one time that Duane Wakeham at least occassionally uses a gesso mixture on something like cold press watercolor paper. I don't have any particulars about the mixtures available at the moment, but I'll try to post them later if I can find any. Hope this helps.

Tony Perrotta
07-22-2004, 05:19 PM
Hi and thanks guys, Hopefully this weekend I will be able to post my pic, if all goes well with the PC. I am going to Pearl this weekend, they have everything and I'll pick some up, I can imagine how you can layer and layer on it. Definately a new pastel painter here!!!! Don't know why I waited so long??

Tony :) :) :)