PDA

View Full Version : Structured Critique

boobiebeads
07-21-2004, 06:53 PM
OK, can I please have some critique on these. My ego is already bruised so don't worry about doing anymore damage :)

PatNewMex
07-21-2004, 07:35 PM
HI,

I love the color scheme and the techniques look good. Can't find a bad thing to say about them at all.

Pat

koregon
07-21-2004, 07:39 PM
well...I like the pix taken on the white background.
if you had a few more of those closer up and showing detail on some of the more elaborate beads...and take away the bust photo's you might do ok.
Something about the bust being the same tone of color as the beads...it really doesn't do them justice...for me its a turn off. I know your name is boobiebeads...and the bust must be a name sake/icon for your biz...but for me...well its a turn off...might not be for others...but size wise you have no idea what size the beads are by the bust...its to distant...and it fights with the beads in the zone of color.

The beads themself look fine...maybe you have just to big a set...this happened to me a week or so ago...I posted a set of 14 zoozii kalera..and they didn't sell...since then I have enlarged the set to 18..thinking I will post them again, cuz I like them all together and its enough for a necklace.

I know sometimes large sets, if your not a known artist for larger sets are harder to sell. I know for me...most expect 11 beads or less in my sets...and a certain price range. So surprising them with a larger set just didn't work.

good luck!

boobiebeads
07-21-2004, 07:58 PM
OK, less pics of the bust (I have to have one - name sake) and more on white and closer up.

My feedback is 20, but all positive. So I will have to work on that. Maybe a few smaller sets. I have a mission tonight!

denizen
07-21-2004, 08:29 PM
Better pictures! these seem kind of murky, dulling the colors down.

The set includes lots of lovely beads, but maybe they don't all belong together. How about breaking them up into two sets, then a few more beads that tie each set together visually?

I like the bust, but it is distracting, and I'm guessing it isn't life size so it throws off the impression of the size of the beads.

Lee

Beth Myers
07-21-2004, 09:38 PM
Michelle-Marie,
Tell me how long you've been making glass beads, and how big are these boys?
Thanks,
Beth

Trey
07-21-2004, 09:44 PM
The sizes of the beads are a little too all over the place for me, and the colors don't seem to go together too well either. Maybe breaking them up into 2 sets of one yellow/topaz set and one lavender set. My customers are used to small sets from me at a certain price like Kaye. I have started listing larger sets this week and have not gotten a lot of action, but I will continue to pursue. Keep up the good work and don't give up!!

Traci

Moth
07-21-2004, 10:46 PM
Love purples and yellows together and they have always sold really well for me. (Think pansies) The last transparent yellow spacer on each end of the full strand though is off. Perhaps too bright, or it could be that they just picked up more light in the photo than the other beads did. They don't seem to want to be there.

Your dots are not over-melted, nor do they have undercuts so that is good.

Your triangle beads have a good start, but the points aren't very sharp. (I have trouble with that too). To camouflage that (if it bothers you), you can put a raised dot where the point would be and it will even up the appearance.

I am not sure if it is the bust or the lighting, but your photos have a yellow tinge to them. Some simple 'true white' photo editing would do the trick in just a click or two.

Your plunged dot beads look nicely shaped and uniform from the pictures.

I see the bust and assume in my mind's eye that it is lifesize which makes these beads look humongous. Are they?

35 Beads is an awful lot for a single set. Might think about dividing them if you are trying to get a good price per bead. Has been my experience that if I list a set of 23 it sells for only slightly more than or the same as a set of 11. Cuts my profit in half and I had to clean twice as many beads. LOL

One last thing, I can't quite put my finger on it. Maybe it is the way they are strung seems kind of random. There is no pattern to it. You have matched pairs in there, and spacers, and they are opposite each other, so that isn't it. I just don't know. I don't think it is that the sizes are all different because I like to have all different sizes like that to work with. Maybe if you tried stringing them graduated by size instead of alternating the colors it might bring more order to the strand.

All in all, I love the color combination, your raised decorations are all attached firmly, I am assuming they are annealed because your profile says you have been working glass/clay for 10 years.

It is a beautiful long strand of nice beads that just need brighter pictures with more contrast, and some order brought to the stringing to improve their market value.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
~~Mary

Cat66
07-21-2004, 11:22 PM
I agree you have to get rid of the "boobies", not necessarily because they are risque or anything, but the color of the bust is not good - that yellow is not going to make any beads look appealing.

I'm new to lampworking too, but have a lot of experience in design and display and think you would do better if you set your beads up on the strand with the largest beads in the middle and getting smaller toward the end of the strands. It would be easier on the eyes. The way they are right now, you aren't really drawn to any one area or style in particular - the eye kind of jumps all over.

You have a nice selection of different colors and I think better display and brighter photos would be a great help.

prncsk
07-21-2004, 11:47 PM
Here's my 2 cents, I would like to see these as two different sets, the yellow/topaz together and the purple in another set. I also think they should be put together graduating them from larger (in the middle) to smaller at the ends.

dogmaw
07-22-2004, 09:57 AM
First, great technique. But my eyes kept being drawn to the beads with what looks like pale gray glass amidst all that color. I think those would look better in a different set. Actually, breaking it into 2 sets isn't such a bad idea.

Jo

verre_de_feu
07-23-2004, 01:44 PM
To be honest with you, the pictures don't do a thing for me. Loose the boobie thing and show off your beautiful beads. The boobs take the spotlight instead of the beads - :confused:

Queen of Tides
07-23-2004, 02:28 PM
Hi,
I saw your first post in the lobby too. Colors are off it seems. I think you could easily break this large set down into 3 sets. Keep like sizes together or go for one graduated and then two of similar size. Also, you don't have any spacers between the beads, so they just run together. Spacers give a little look of finished jewelry, gives buyers a little idea of how the beads will look paired with silver(Bali, plated or even plastic) or fire polish or even large size 6 seed bead type.

I brightened up your pictures a bit, it really helps to take them on a good neutral background. I use the 18% gray paper from the photography shop that Corina mentions on her website. Makes a huge difference in the true color of my beads.

Nice work, good luck!

PatNewMex
07-23-2004, 04:39 PM
(Just a few minor comments to add)

As I said earlier I like the beads. But perhaps the bust reminds me too much of art school and that type of learning atmosphere where you are always experimenting and things are never really polished and professional looking. (NO diss to your beads mind you! Just something that for me is subliminal and very much an after thought.)

It is hard to tell if the size of the bust is "acutal size" (no boobie jokes!) or if it is smaller. I think someone else mentioned it. If you want to keep the boobs in the pics because it is the business namesake, make a smaller bust, or make it a wild color (but don't take away from your beads) or cover it partially with a velvet cloth that shows off the beads more than the bust. Remember to be "boobie" beads you don't have to have them naked!

Keep up the good work. Your techniques and control way outdo anything I have been able to manage!

Pat