GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Little Red Dreams
Year Created: 2004
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 16 x 20
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This piece is based upon two ideas. Dreams and Fairy Tales... specifically Little Red Riding Hood. I think I see much wrong with it, but I'd like to get others input as well.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Please be open and honest with this piece. I am a beginning painter with pie-in-the-sky hopes so give me honesty and brutality if needed.

One must learn from one's mistakes. :o)

Mikey
07-21-2004, 07:22 PM
The head is in a very difficult position to get right, especially so if you're drawing from imagination. The jaw doesn't match with the upper head, being to one side.

You've got high hopes, and why not, then I'd advise draw, draw and draw. Draw things around the house, you're own hand, straight lines, curves and elipses, all on scrap paper. It's learning to see, then learning to draw what you see, then learning to see some more, and it's an ongoing process. You've got high hopes, then it's your life. I wish you all the best.

Mikey

mimsy
07-21-2004, 07:29 PM
The head is in a very difficult position to get right, especially so if you're drawing from imagination. The jaw doesn't match with the upper head, being to one side.

Yes, I thought it was a bit off. Thank you. :)

You've got high hopes, and why not, then I'd advise draw, draw and draw. Draw things around the house, you're own hand, straight lines, curves and elipses, all on scrap paper. It's learning to see, then learning to draw what you see, then learning to see some more, and it's an ongoing process. You've got high hopes, then it's your life. I wish you all the best.

I'm not quite sure how to take this last comment... lol, but thank you for the encouragement and suggestions. I really appreciate it. Also, I'm a bit embarrassed as I have been neglecting my sketches as of late. :o I had hoped it wouldn't be that obvious.

Oh well. Back to the drawing board. (as they say)

Thanks again!! :D

Mikey
07-21-2004, 07:43 PM
What I meant was success for anybody comes at a price. I wanted my comments to be positive though.

Mikey

mfoxmelanson
07-21-2004, 10:46 PM
I'm not sure, but I think you could just move her mouth up. You've got the place for her upper lip just under her nose- if that makes sense :)

M.

mimsy
07-22-2004, 12:07 AM
What I meant was success for anybody comes at a price. I wanted my comments to be positive though.

Ah, I understand. Thank you. :)

balfour44
07-22-2004, 12:07 AM
well, I feel the girl's face is great! I love the abstract, a little off... it gives the girl personality and interest, its not the same old boring "cookie cutter mold" of perfectionism. what I find is that the background needs to be as interesting and done with as much care as you've givin the girl. always remember, the background should be carefully planned out and givin the same attention that the subject gets. it looks as though you quickly threw a few simple brush strokes in, to hurry up and get to the girl. anyway I love this painting because of this interesting girl, go back and rework the back ground if you feel you should. O.k I'll get off my soapbox now!! :)

mimsy
07-22-2004, 12:09 AM
I'm not sure, but I think you could just move her mouth up. You've got the place for her upper lip just under her nose- if that makes sense :)

You think? I was looking at the angle of the jawbone... that's the area that I'm most bothered by... but, I'll definitely take a look at the mouth as well.

Thanks for your input! :)

mimsy
07-22-2004, 12:14 AM
...anyway I love this painting because of this interesting girl, go back and rework the back ground if you feel you should. O.k I'll get off my soapbox now!! :)

Thank you! :) I did spend a lot of time on the girl and mere moments on the mountains. I was trying to go for a dreamscape/sketchy type thing. I don't really think that was successful, eventhough the wolf shadow blends in with the pale peaks... it's just not as great as I had had it invisioned in my head. *sigh* I'll definitely go back though, the paint is still wet and that should give me some flexibility.

Thanks again for your kind words.... I think I shall move this painting back to my easel and consider it a W.I.P. ;)

balfour44
07-22-2004, 12:22 AM
please do!! this painting is far to good to just let it stay as it is. it needs to be worked to greatness! and I must say that something about her face is just mezmerising dont touch it!! the mood her face portrays is just wonderful and dreamy and off beat. but hey, thats just my opinion, everyone sees what they want to see.

haaf
07-22-2004, 05:55 AM
good idea, consider it a WIP, to me it's important that the colors used make connections troughout the painting, the dark of the mountains could be find to address darker areas in the hair for example. It's like a discovery trip, lots to be found. Enjoy
Caroline ;)

Mikey
07-22-2004, 07:09 AM
Caroline has given some good advice and maybe Balfour is right. However if you want me to do some sketches to show how to draw a head a different angles I will. Just say.

Mikey

Pam B.
07-22-2004, 10:16 AM
Well for what it is worth I like this piece just as it is. I think it has a nice balance to it and certainly echoes it's title. The quirky feel to the head is matched by the abstract style of the painting. Perhaps a little more detail to the background......??????? Well done. Look forward to seeing more. :)

Andrew
07-22-2004, 10:45 AM
I have to go with Mikey on this one. Even if this particular piece goes by the wayside, the concept doesn't die. There is nothing wrong with tackling it again. The one thing I would add would be to think a bit thicker with your paint. Keep the dark areas thin, but the highlights lay on thicker. It will help make the piece pop and look more dimensional.

Andrew

mimsy
07-22-2004, 12:42 PM
Caroline has given some good advice and maybe Balfour is right. However if you want me to do some sketches to show how to draw a head a different angles I will. Just say.

Thank you, you can if you like. Though I'd like to mention that I was drawing from a photograph and, well... I realize that I royally messed it up. :crying:

So, I'll work on the backgrounds and see if I can fix the errors in proportion. Thanks again for all the wonderful advice! I really appreciate the input you all have given me.

jerryW
07-22-2004, 06:05 PM
thanks for the photo
I found both images really enjoyable
you could go far just interpretting the light and shapes and color form the source photo as is.
gorgeous
and worth doing more than once.

Mikey
07-22-2004, 08:43 PM
Mimsy, if you can see it now no need for sketches. Learning how to see is a big part of the skill needed. Our cognition does tend to fool us a lot of the time.

Mikey