PDA

View Full Version : Skinny dipping

Cheng076
07-21-2004, 01:23 PM
Good morning all,

I've seen several referrances to 'Skinning glass' gathers and or rods to clean up the surface. Could someone please explain how this is done as I continue to have problems in this area with Effetre glass and to some extent with boro.
PJH

!ngridh
07-21-2004, 01:27 PM
well...especially with clear...and moretti more than others...it tends to get scummy and look bad when encasing. So Any clear... before you apply it to encase...heat the tip and and pull off the end...it generally will have bubbles and what not...if you "skin" the first molten part of the tip your encasing will be nice and scum and bubble free :D

Kimberly Affleck
07-21-2004, 01:48 PM
You can actually peel more than just the tip. This works really well on larger diameter clear rods, but you can do it with the regular diameter, as well. Just surface heat the first couple of inches of the rod, not enough for the entire rod to soften, just the surface (nice oxydizing flame works great for this) then take your tweezers and peel or pull off the very ouside surface of the glass. You are left with beautiful, clear glass, ready to use for encasing or whatever. Works wonderfully well! I haven't tried this with boro, but now I'm going to!!!

Helen Simon
07-21-2004, 07:45 PM
Bill Thornton told me sometimes folks pull glass from bundles which scatches it, and this is what causes the problem...I usually melt the tip, swipe it on an empty place on the mandrel, and then use it...but I'll try to skin it as you said, Kim...thanks. Love, Helen

DebbieSue
07-21-2004, 08:09 PM
I wash the clear rods when I get them and then snip off the very tips with a glass snipper. I find the bigger rods especially have junky ends, even the Lauscha (spelling?).

Debbie

Cheng076
07-22-2004, 01:48 AM
Evening all,

I thought it was something like that but what I read/heard made it seem as if you peeled the 'skin' off the whole rod or gather. I try to remember to tweezer off the first portion of the clear rods before using for the reason(s) stated... just didn't know it was called skinning.
Thanks again you guys.

Might mention that I think I put this in the wrong forum. I often leap before I look... duuuuh!! Got my answers however.

Also there is a marble show in the Seattle area Tuesday thru Saturday at the Southcenter Best Western Hotel. Room trading thru Friday and open to the public on Sat.

PJH