GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Giving The Knife A Turn At Bat
Year Created: 2004
Medium: Oil
Surface: Board
Dimension: 22 x 28 Inches
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Testing out some muted coloring and my knife to see how things work these days as I have not used the knife in quite some time. I had about 4 days without painting because of life and the withdrawels were getting awesome.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
whatever

A Few Pigments
07-20-2004, 06:05 PM
You do much better work with a knife...keep using a knife.

bloodjelly
07-20-2004, 06:20 PM
The photo's a little fuzzy but I really like how free the strokes are in this one - I can see the enjoyment you get using the knife.

giniaad
07-20-2004, 11:39 PM
"the withdrawels were getting awesome"

that is why we need to do what we do...or die!...eh?

this is a very satisfying piece and I think you felt better after doing it too.

from the gut...and I like it....muchly!

Wayne Gaudon
07-21-2004, 07:47 AM
thank you AFP, BJ, Gin

Bloodjelly: it is created that way (slightly out of focus) .. something crawling out of a mass; like nature, a mess of chaos which creates form.

Gin ..yes, it's why we paint; we must. LOL My objective was to make light without using bright paint and here I used a red green contrast but reversed the norm of red flowers green leaves, etc and made the flowers green. Upon completion my mind cried out for a little purple and ultramarine blue and so I added them as an after effect but they really jumped up the painting, IMO.

btw.. the flowers are green because I have never seen any green flowers. Has anyone ever seen green flowers? Do they exist and if so, what are they? I'm curious.

mfoxmelanson
07-21-2004, 09:59 AM
The more I look, the more I like! It has an elegance to it. You piqued my curiosity about green flowers. I've seen little green pom poms and what I assumed were dyed carnations so I Googled it. There are a lot! - roses, orchids, beautiful chrysanthemums- which yours remind me of. I'm sure if I looked further, I could find a perfect match..but I'm not going to ;)

M.

Michael-Ann
07-21-2004, 12:52 PM
My preference usually lies with a little more color...but Wayne that knife and you were meant fer each other. Lov'n this!

Gilberte
07-21-2004, 03:39 PM
I do like paintings that leave something to the eye of the viewer and this is one of them.

Is this a copper pot, if yes .......... perfect !

Dana Design
07-21-2004, 04:05 PM
Beautiful, Wayne. As someone else mentioned, the more I looked at this painting, the more it spoke to me. Lots of interesting textures.

Wayne Gaudon
07-21-2004, 10:14 PM
thanks Michael-Ann, Gilberte, Dana ..

this one is even growing on me LOL

artbabe21
07-22-2004, 02:08 AM
You ARE da knife man!! This is the Wayne I know...:) There are so many Wayne's lately & that's GOOD! Try it all... :D

Terrific, I really like this piece....unusual in such a GOOD way!! :)

FOX
07-22-2004, 03:58 PM
You ARE da knife man!! This is the Wayne I know...:) :)
Agree! Great stuff my friend, keep them comming!

Spyderbabe
07-22-2004, 04:11 PM
I got that cool, overgrown, slight neglected old greenhouse effect from this lovely.

How about these green beauties? Bells of Ireland:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jul-2004/23281-bellsof_ireland.jpg

haaf
07-22-2004, 04:11 PM
interesting return of the knife, Wayne
It looks like you make much smaller wrists movement when working the knife in comparison to a brush. Or has that to do with knife size?
Caroline ;)

Wayne Gaudon
07-23-2004, 07:21 AM
thanks all .. of course you know the next venture was a big flop LOL

Spyderbabe .. hey, those look like my invention LOL .. lovely green flowers

Caroline .. it's the brush size in comparison to the width of the knife blade .. porbably about half the size

shirleyq
07-23-2004, 12:55 PM
This painting speaks. :) You have gotten good, my friend.
How does the gallery search go?

Wayne Gaudon
07-23-2004, 04:44 PM
Hi Shirley and thank you ..

I am on hold as I try to prepare some larger paintings as galleries are far more interested in larger works. It's been a weird and busy summer but I have a few done, I have some young university grad working on my Artist Statement, and I'm talking to a framer to try and get some framing for an upcoming juried show.

Worst thing I find is I get on a roll, get a few solid pieces out, and then get so dang busy with life that I lose the edge .. I spend another week or so to get it back and then the cycle again .. if I only had a few months to myself I could roll out a good few to make a good offering. I am in one gallery but it's small and he sells 99% prints so I've had no takers. I hopefully will be ready for a broader search of better galleries by next summer. The plan is there and I'm taking baby steps but I am still trying to follow the layout.

:D

shirleyq
07-23-2004, 05:42 PM
Hi Shirley and thank you ..

I am on hold as I try to prepare some larger paintings as galleries are far more interested in larger works. It's been a weird and busy summer but I have a few done, I have some young university grad working on my Artist Statement, and I'm talking to a framer to try and get some framing for an upcoming juried show.

Worst thing I find is I get on a roll, get a few solid pieces out, and then get so dang busy with life that I lose the edge .. I spend another week or so to get it back and then the cycle again .. if I only had a few months to myself I could roll out a good few to make a good offering. I am in one gallery but it's small and he sells 99% prints so I've had no takers. I hopefully will be ready for a broader search of better galleries by next summer. The plan is there and I'm taking baby steps but I am still trying to follow the layout.
:D

I have had much the same experience this last 6 months. Hopefully my small gallery will start to sell some. I, too, find it hard to kick life out of my way so that I can paint. Resolve, resolve, resolve. :rolleyes: :) :rolleyes: I wrote my own artist statement and have no idea if is good so will look forward to yours. :)