PDA

View Full Version : Show me your jewlery made with bicones and tubular

Onalee
07-20-2004, 05:59 PM
I must have hit the wrong button. If I sent two messages, I'm sorry. I like to make the bicones and other long beads and when I'm finished I don't know what to do with them. I'd like to see what others use them for except pens. Do you find that they sell as well as the round beads? I've been a little afraid to put them up on E-bay. Onalee

ValorieCox
07-20-2004, 06:15 PM
LOL Onelee, so this is the thread you're keeping right? I'll delete the other 9, :D

Great question, I'll look forward to the posts. Val

koregon
07-20-2004, 06:45 PM
Hi Onalee,
I have three jewelry items I have made for myself with bicones or tube beads...the bangle was my first bangle that Stacylynne helped me make last summer...the focal in it measures 28~mm long...and isn't to wide at the bicone part...so its a smaller bicone...
the necklaces ...the bright colors is a tube that is 52~mm long...I made it a pendant that I can put on a leather cord...short wire or long chain...I put charms under it to give it something more...the other necklace is a Marna Hartjen bead that was given to me for my birthday last year...it 58~mm long...I put it on black cord with a few charms dangling from it...this is a terrible photo of a very gorgeous bead ...there is some reduction shine going on there...and well...I snapped the photo's quick

so far this is all I have made in those shapes...

dogmaw
07-20-2004, 07:03 PM
I find that men prefer them strung horizontally on leather cord or satin rat tail. I know, that is an odd name but I don't know what else to call it!

Jo

CosmicGW
07-20-2004, 07:06 PM
These are all very nice - I especially like this one:

sislonski
07-20-2004, 07:48 PM
Wow Kaye,

That first one is so pretty. Wowzers!

Here are a few that I made into bracelets. Once again, I'm new at this so forgive my lack of skills. I find that they are still comfortable to wear even if they are tubes and I get tons of comments on them.

Shari
www.beadsforacure.com

dread
07-20-2004, 09:04 PM
GULP wow ! :clap: So pretty

Onalee
07-20-2004, 09:10 PM
Wow, this is fun. I'm a short small boned person and I just couldn't find a way I could wear them. Great ideas, you people. Thanks. Onalee

Smedstad
07-21-2004, 12:13 AM
Old but still one of my favorites. I keep trying to find more brown clothing to go with it. The beads are each around 3 inches long.

Debbie
(who can wear the big stuff)

jessicah
07-21-2004, 01:12 AM
Onalee, I was wondering the same thing. I'm so glad you asked to see finished jewelry. Very beautiful and different ideas from everyone.
Kaye, I love this necklace, would you be able to tell me where you got the bail (not sure if that's the right term) that you strung on the chain to connect the bead to. I circled the piece I mean.

koregon
07-21-2004, 01:13 AM
Onalee, I was wondering the same thing. I'm so glad you asked to see finished jewelry. Very beautiful and different ideas from everyone.
Kaye, I love this necklace, would you be able to tell me where you got the bail (not sure if that's the right term) that you strung on the chain to connect the bead to. I circled the piece I mean.

I bought those in the swap shop here on WC....I was told they were bought through the Rio Grande Catalog

DonnaBee
07-21-2004, 03:56 AM
Here is my Kimberly Affleck bicone. It's 2 1/2" long. I set it on 18 gauge wire with a loop at each end. Staggered tassel work is added to the bottom loop. The tassels are 20 gauge wire with iolite, silver agate and pearls.

DonnaBee
07-21-2004, 04:01 AM
This is my Lori Peterson bicone. I set it on a 5mm ball-end 18 gauge headpin. (by Stacy-Lynne Russom). Before making the top loop, I added a 5mm round sterling bead to sit on top of the bicone, to compliment the headpin's bottom 5mm ball-end.

DonnaBee
07-21-2004, 04:10 AM
This is my Lenda flat-tab bicone. It's on a Stacy-Lynne 5mm ball end 18 gauge headpin and with a 5mm sterling bead on top under the wrapped loop. (As on the Lori Peterson bicone above.)

It's attached to sterling guitar string that
I strung a few coordinating beads on and then attached lobster claws onto each end with looped crimp tubes. (I got the looped crimp tubes from ebays "cup-of-tea").

I wear these pieces all the time. I just wore the Lenda one today in fact! Thanks for the opportunity to show my work again, and I hope these ideas help!

Yes, I have insomnia tonight! :D :rolleyes:

Onalee
07-21-2004, 08:51 AM
Great stuff, you guys. I'm getting inspired. Donna Bea it looks like you have little clasps so you can enterchange the bead. That is another neat idea.
Can't believe how nice all the beads look when they are put in jewlery. Onalee

giometriks
07-21-2004, 12:31 PM
I just love tubular pendants. They just looks so classy. What I really want to know is how to do the bangle bracelet.... Anyone wanna share???? I just love that look.

Suzi

DonnaBee
07-22-2004, 12:21 AM
I have a couple PMs asking and here is more info about the guitar-string necklace I put together:

I got these 1mm sterling crimp ends from ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=67716&item=4913143958&tc=photo

I crimped one onto each guitar string end with round-nose pliers (you crimp the middle section only with round nose pliers. It turns out so nice and neat looking.)

The guitar strings are sterling and this is the "A" base string. You can get these from any music supplier and sometimes even ebay.

Then you put a 10mm lobster claw on each of these ends.

Kate Drew-Wilkinson does this with tiny chain and tiny crimp ends in her video, and then I got the idea to try it on this slightly larger scale with guitar string.

I really like the way the necklace lies in place when I wear it. It's a twenty inch length of guitar string. I haven't tried shorter or longer lengths. (Try it out because a different length might cause it to behave or lay differently, due to the nature of guitar string.) But just so you know, this 20" length has been wearing well for many months for me.

Also, if your sterling guitar strings tarnish, just shine them up with a Sunshine silver polish cloth. It works great!!! I so love this necklace.

As you can see, this one I made with the Lenda bead has coordinating spacers on it, which are not removable. (But I also do this style with only a plain guitar string, no spacers. Also you can do neutral beads on it, like black. So you can have all kinds of versatility and interchangable possibilities!

Have fun with it! I think it might be cost effective for shows and such! :D Or perhaps sell the components as a kit. People just love kits these days. :)

Onalee
12-26-2005, 03:27 PM
I revisited this thread today and am wondering if anyone has come up with more ways to use the bicones. Do you ever insert it lengthways in a necklace. I'd like to see if you did. Onalee

CarlaAlexander
12-26-2005, 03:36 PM
After looking I am leaning toward a tassle. These are so much fun. I had to get mine for Christmas from Mom because I still can't get a bicone done. I quit at a barrel because I am too mad.

vivbama
12-26-2005, 06:02 PM
Here are some bracelets I made up over the weekend with some bicones.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-10/1099517/IMG_0001organicrakubracelet.jpg

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-10/1099517/IMG_0002organicpurplebracelet.jpg

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-10/1099517/IMG_0030mintybracelet.jpg

Jamn!
12-26-2005, 09:05 PM
Very nice Vivian! The silver in the first one adds a nice touch! It ties it in with the silver wire. :)

Rac
12-27-2005, 12:38 AM
OK, I will try to post one. This necklace has seven bicones and some round netted beads mixed with AB Jet Swarovskis and small onyx beads. The metal parts are sterling. It is long so it is not easy to photograph.
Carolyn

kenzee
12-27-2005, 01:23 AM
oh my gosh..that really is a show piece Carolyn..gorgeous!

aks141
12-27-2005, 01:37 AM
Oh, I agree with Deborah. That is beautiful Carolyn. Makes me want to know if and where you sell your beads.

Rac
12-27-2005, 10:49 AM
I sell my finished jewelry mostly around and about wherever we go. My husband is always showing it off and then he comes back home having sold things. This is the largest piece I have attempted and it actually has earrings to match made of the netted beads. Usually I make bracelets and the occasional watch. The whole business aspect of jewelry-making gives me a panic. :eek: However, you cannot just keep piling up finished work without selling enough of it to keep you in supplies and glass. PM me if you have something in mind that you want to see. Carolyn

CalamitysClan
12-27-2005, 03:20 PM
Wow they are ALL so beautiful. I really like that first one Kaye. Is that one of your beads? I love it! I like that lobster claw idea too. I've got to find some small ones so I can do that too.

Patricia