PDA

View Full Version : London outdoor painting - Horniman Gardens

jez_barracude
07-20-2004, 02:57 PM
Hi all

An idea for the next London outdoor painting session (or one of them, anyway).

How about Sunday afternoon, 1st August, at the Horniman Gardens in SE London?

Maybe from about 1 or 2pm?

There are a lot of potential subjects there from chickens to panoramic views of the City. If it rains the permanent collection is based on natural history, musical instruments and ethnography so plenty to draw indoors if need be.

The gardens are open till 8:50 and there is a cafe in the Museum till 5:30. Their website has details, transport info and maps:
www.horniman.ac.uk

That's London UK in case any Ontarians are confused.

Is this any use to anyone else? Sign up!

Jez

sandge
07-21-2004, 07:40 AM
Can't do that date, I'm afraid.

beginner but trying
07-21-2004, 12:50 PM
Sorry! can't do that date! Earlier that week????

jez_barracude
07-21-2004, 02:57 PM
Earlier is not going to work for me, I'm afraid. Would the Sunday after, Sunday 8th, suit anyone?

Jez

ferveriga
07-23-2004, 07:04 PM
I am back from holidays in France.. We had a great time and I have to say it is all very inspiring there - I missed my paintings!

I can do the 1st and so far I am around all month.

timelady
07-25-2004, 04:12 PM
Mmmmm...lovely. I'm not too far from there either. That date works for me. Most other days should be okay too... Except 29th July and 6 August. I'd love to see the Horniman! never been there...

Tina.

sandge
07-26-2004, 05:34 AM
Sunday 8th would be better for me.

jez_barracude
07-27-2004, 03:18 PM
Can we assume this has now stabilised as being the 8th? That seems to suit most people, and this is supposed to be the second of many, so hopefully we can get a few more done before the light disappears south for the winter.

I'll wait to see how many express interest and then ask everyone to PM me if they want a mobile number etc a little bit nearer the time.

_Really_ looking forward to seeing you all again, and meeting new faces!

Jez

dcorc
07-27-2004, 09:44 PM
Hi all - Sun 8th would be fine as far as I'm concerned

Dave

ferveriga
07-28-2004, 05:00 AM
great!

now we just need to get a precise location to meet.

:)

Fer

timelady
08-02-2004, 01:53 PM
I don't know if any of us know the Horniman very well... probably easiest to name a time and meet somewhere really obvious, like the cafe. The Dulwich Picture Gallery opens at 11am on Sunday so I'd guess the Horniman is the same. I unintentionally volunteered to work this Sunday but can probably get out of it. I'm really looking forward to this!

Tina.

sandge
08-02-2004, 02:00 PM
... probably easiest to name a time and meet somewhere really obvious, like the cafe. The Dulwich Picture Gallery opens at 11am on Sunday so I'd guess the Horniman is the same.
Don't make it too early, please! :D

I have to travel up from the coast so it's going to take about 2 hours to get there and I am not a morning person! ;) :D

ferveriga
08-02-2004, 03:07 PM
Don't make it too early, please!:D

I was thinking sometime around 3:30pm.. I hope everyone agrees on an afternoon thing. ;)

Tina, I was thinking about dropping off the paintings to the stark gallery before meeting up so if you want, I can give you a ride.

Fer

dcorc
08-02-2004, 03:41 PM
3.30 sounds fine to me too!

Looking forward to meeting up again!

Dave

jez_barracude
08-02-2004, 04:22 PM
3:30 works just fine for me too.
It's not the largest park in the world, so hopefully we won't have too much trouble meeting up.
I'll make my mobile number available to everyone who PMs me for it so there is someone to get in touch with on the day.

Jez

sandge
08-03-2004, 05:50 AM
That sounds fine. :D

timelady
08-06-2004, 03:14 PM
Sounds good... actually later might be nice. Wasn't in the studio today and working the gallery tomorrow (so I can have Sunday off!) so maybe I'll do some painting Sunday. Fer I'll phone you on the mobile about that if it's okay. Part of me wants to have a day out in Dulwich (there's a couple of really nice little shops). So Sunday morning I'll have to decide whether to be naughty or not. ;)

Tina.

sandge
08-06-2004, 04:02 PM
Does that mean you're not coming? Who's coming? Fer, jez, dave, me?

timelady
08-07-2004, 04:41 AM
I'm coming! but if we're not starting until the afternoon I'll either have half a day in the studio or be naughty and have half a day out in Dulwich first. :) (this is all pretty local for me) Or I might go to the Horniman early.

Or I might just watch cheesy Sunday television in bed until Fer arrives and then go with her. ;) I won't have another chance for a day off this week you see...not until next Saturday. (and not had a day off this past week)

Tina.

sandge
08-07-2004, 12:45 PM
Fabulous! :D

Well, I have just purchased a big, scarey hat so I'm ready to go!

Do you suppose we're allowed to consume, er, beverages in the gardens? I just checked out their FAQ page but I think they only get asked one question (check it out! LOL (http://www.horniman.ac.uk/more/faq.cfm))

dcorc
08-07-2004, 08:11 PM
sorry, but I can't make it tomorrow :(

- tied up, alas

apologies all! Hope you have a good time!

Tina - I trust it's OK if I bring paintings over on Tues or Wed?

Dave

jez_barracude
08-08-2004, 04:55 AM
I'm still going. I shall also be wearing an immense sunhat, so that may or may not make me stand out from the crowd.

There's still time to PM me for a mobile number if you think you might need one! I'll check back just before leaving.

Jez

jez_barracude
08-08-2004, 04:58 AM
Fabulous! :D

Well, I have just purchased a big, scarey hat so I'm ready to go!

Do you suppose we're allowed to consume, er, beverages in the gardens? I just checked out their FAQ page but I think they only get asked one question (check it out! LOL (http://www.horniman.ac.uk/more/faq.cfm))

I don't know the answer for sure, but I think I have seen picnics going on in the less formal areas, which presumably involve bottles of wine on occasion! It's not ALL one of those manicured places in spite of being a botanic garden.

Jez

sandge
08-08-2004, 03:37 PM
Rats!

Fer, did you get my text? Should have known better than to plan a long train journey on a Sunday! :rolleyes:

I'm so disappointed I couldn't make it - especially since it would have been the first outing for the big, scarey painting hat. Would have loved to have seen yours, jez!

jez_barracude
08-08-2004, 04:13 PM
Sorry I missed it - I was all set but the heat brought back a health prob I've been having on and off all week and I realised I had better wimp out and spend the rest of the day resting and rehydrating or else :-(

Hope everyone had a good time, and maybe we can do the same venue again if there are enough of us who missed out this time?

Jez

ferveriga
08-08-2004, 04:25 PM
it was only Tina and I (and my hubby). still, we had fun. The park is beautifull and I got 2 paintings done. I may do some touching up indoors but I have a great composition so that was worth it.

anyway, let's plan another one for a week day. I'd love to work more while the weather allows.

any new places? I was thinking about a river view or the London skyline next.

Fer

PS. Sandra, I did get your text. too bad the trains are always under engeneering!

sandge
08-08-2004, 05:13 PM
Sorry you were'nt well, jez. :(

Glad you and Tina still had fun, fer! Can we see your paintings? :D

A weekday would suit me better since I am in London during the week anyway. River or skyline sounds good. :)

ferveriga
08-11-2004, 09:16 AM
Jez, I hope you are better now..

I was thinking about going somewhere next Wednesday (the 18th).
Anyone available to join me?
I'd love to do a London Skyline.. is there a Central stop where we can get a view of Saint Peter's, London Eye, Big Benn?

who is up?

Fer

dcorc
08-11-2004, 09:53 AM
Jez, I hope you are better now..

I was thinking about going somewhere next Wednesday (the 18th).
Anyone available to join me?
I'd love to do a London Skyline.. is there a Central stop where we can get a view of Saint Peter's, London Eye, Big Benn?

who is up?

Fer

Hi Fer

Yes, I'd join you, certainly (and next week I can, sorry about last one!)

St Peter's might be a bit of a stretch :D , but St Pauls we can do! :)

The bridges provide good vantage points (though they are very busy, and can be windy - personally, I'm more inclined to take photos from them and work at home - though that misses the point of getting out, of course :) )

Embankment tube station - on the Northern, Bakerloo, Circle, and District lines is probably a good choice as one could get views from Victoria Embankment on the north side of the river, towards Parliament and the London Eye, and crossing over Waterloo bridge, to the South Bank Centre where, from some of the higher levels (I'm guessing) there might be a good view in the opposite direction, to St Pauls and the City.

The "Transport for London" website http://www.tfl.gov.uk has lots of useful info and maps, including a general map of central London (adobe acrobat file ~370kb)

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/buses/pdfdocs/centlond.pdf

Dave

ferveriga
08-11-2004, 10:00 AM
OF COURSE I had to get the church's saint wrong.. not proving myself a good Christian am I? haha

yes, I think Embankment is a great option!

let's see who else can join us.

cheers

jez_barracude
08-12-2004, 03:57 PM
I think Embankment is a great location - the other night I was outside the tube thinking how interesting the footbridges look with their metal supports rearing up into the evening sky.

I can't say yes or no yet - I have a lot on, including medical appointments :-( - but will come along if at all possible.

Jez

sandge
08-13-2004, 04:24 PM
Next Wednesday on the Embankment sounds great! :)

ferveriga
08-16-2004, 12:40 PM
So, who is up for Wednesday???

I am coming.. I though around 15:30 could be a good time.
I will take the Distric line. I believe you all have my number now so call me when you get there, yeah?

Dave, it seems like you know of the best spot to go! :D

I can't wait to do my first London Skyline!

sorry, no pics of Horniman Gardens paintings yet. I am still not sure if they are finished. I'll post soon, I promisse ;)

sandge
08-16-2004, 01:13 PM
I would be coming after work - which means 5.30pm.

We may need to consider an indoor/sheltered location as I understand we are in for stormy weather this week - see UK set for midweek storm lashing (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3569682.stm) :rolleyes:

ferveriga
08-16-2004, 01:25 PM
Sounds like a good idea.
I will bring a few canvases and/or watercolour so that I can stay for a while.. I am stinging to do some more London scenes and I will be travelling for a month on and off so I feel like time is running out before it gets too cold!!!
I hope you all can make it! I'll try to bring some wine and crackers. :D

ferveriga
08-18-2004, 09:22 AM
I am off!!!
I hope to see you guys there..
I am doing watercolours this time. A bit hangover.. couldn't be bothered to bring all my oil stuff.
Anyway, the weather looks great so I am very excited to go.

:D

Fer

ferveriga
08-19-2004, 11:46 AM
Next paint out day:
AUGUST THE 1ST.
As most of you know, I wont be around for a few weeks so I am very limited on dates.
This would be in 2 Wednesdays time..
I suggest meeting around 4 and I will bring my oils so I don't get frustrated with my watercoulrs again!!! ;)

Meeting place: somewhere near TOWER BRIDGE? Is that the bridge we were talking about yesterday?

Suggestions welcome.

Jez, sorry I can't do weekends at this stage.

Fer

sandge
08-20-2004, 03:34 PM
Next paint out day:
AUGUST THE 1ST.

I think you might mean SEPTEMBER the 1st! ;) :D

I'm interested. :)

jez_barracude
08-21-2004, 04:04 AM
Next paint out day:
AUGUST THE 1ST.
As most of you know, I wont be around for a few weeks so I am very limited on dates.
This would be in 2 Wednesdays time..
I suggest meeting around 4 and I will bring my oils so I don't get frustrated with my watercoulrs again!!! ;)

Meeting place: somewhere near TOWER BRIDGE? Is that the bridge we were talking about yesterday?

Suggestions welcome.

Jez, sorry I can't do weekends at this stage.

Fer

This sounds lovely and I shall at least try and make it earlier this time with sketching materials even if I don't have time to paint. Again I'm assuming we mean 1st Sept because I definitely don't have the time to construct a time machine :-)

Whilst it would be great if everyone could make it to every session, realistically of course that won't happen. So I am still planning to come to what I can on weekdays, and yet also perhaps suggest one or two more on weekends too for those of us for whom that works better, especially as we lose the evening light.

ferveriga
08-21-2004, 12:15 PM
YES, yes, yes.. I meant Septmber.
Where are we meeting? I want to paint the bridge... not sure where we should stand though.
If anyone know of a good spot please post! :)

sandge
08-21-2004, 02:16 PM
I don't know that area, I'm afraid. Would be good to find a place with a good view of the bridge but tucked away from too many people. :)

jez_barracude
08-23-2004, 03:26 PM
I'll ask someone who used to work in the Tower if there are any relatively quiet bits near the bridge. [He doesn't any more, so couldn't get us inside the grounds or anything and before you ask, no, he didn't wear a black mask and carry an axe for his job :-) ]

sandge
08-27-2004, 12:17 PM
Oh, dear. It is looking like I won't be able to make next Wednesday, after all.

ferveriga
08-31-2004, 05:07 AM
Oh, dear. It is looking like I won't be able to make next Wednesday, after all.

"bad" news for me as well! a dinner came up - for my husband's boss farewell - and I've been requested to go. if we were painting early I could make it but no chance I can do the late afternoon tomorrow anymore! Is anyone up for it Thursday?
sorry for the late post. I just got back from Austria.

jez_barracude
08-31-2004, 02:26 PM
I can't make Weds either - the muse got theatre tickets. I can possibly do Thurs on a turn up late and just sketch basis. Would it be same place, different day?

Jez

dcorc
08-31-2004, 02:44 PM
Hi folks - I can't join you on Thursday, unfortunately - the next one hopefully!

Dave

sandge
09-01-2004, 08:18 AM
I am going to have to say 'no' to Thursday, too, unfortunately.

ferveriga
09-17-2004, 08:45 AM
I am back!
well.. it seems like there is not much time left to go street painting before it gets too cold/uncorfotable to be outside ;)
Anyone free next week?
I was thinking on going for a mission to get enough material to work indoors later on. So, my plan is to go to as many points as possible with a sketch book and camera.

anyone up for it?

Let me know

Fer

ferveriga
09-20-2004, 06:07 AM
seems like everyone is busy!
anyway, I found this event and I am coming.. maybe you want to come as well.

http://www.nationalgallery.org.uk/about/press/2004/big_draw.htm

THIS SUNDAY, the 26th of September @ Trafalgar Sq.

sandge
09-21-2004, 07:26 PM
Hi fer!

Yep, I'm afraid this week is out for me. Have a great time at the trafalgar square event. Sounds like fun - if you get a chance, do take some pics!

:)

dcorc
09-22-2004, 06:21 PM
Hi Fer! (& all)

been a bit snowed under with other stuff recently - I might be able to make Sunday, but not sure currently.

Dave