PDA

View Full Version : Uroboros 96 Photos of beads anyone?

greatfindsct
07-20-2004, 09:54 AM
I'm just wondering if anyone has any pictures of this glass I keep hearing about! I think I want to buy some...ummm new glass? LOL Let's see those beauties :) Thanks!

AMR GlassWorks
07-20-2004, 10:26 AM
I wanna see also before I buy!! LOL! :D

backroombeads
07-20-2004, 10:50 AM
I'm waiting for my glass to get here this week. I'm sure one of my life's lessons is learning patience...and I think taking up lampworking was a way to be sure I had plenty of practice. Pat

theonlyduda
07-20-2004, 11:21 AM
I have some! :) I'll give you my 2cents after I go take some pics! :)

ValorieCox
07-20-2004, 11:22 AM
I have some focals in the kiln from yesterday/last night, I'll get them cleaned and photographed. I'm just using one color at a time to get to know the working properties of each glass color. My first color is white--it will be weeks before I get through each one. :p Used as a base color, so far, so good. Photos shortly. Val

ValorieCox
07-20-2004, 12:45 PM
I made a dozen or so beads yesterday trying out the Uroboros 96 White cane color as a base bead, then adding color in layers of frits, silver and Gaffer cane over. I haven't tried any color but white so far. Valorie

(all photos are Uroboros white as a base)

theonlyduda
07-20-2004, 12:55 PM
Ohhhh..... Very pretty Val!! :)

These photos do show beads with mostly Uroboros 96. (Along with my addiction to the round tab press!) I think the Amber and Ivory ones are all U96. It is light amber, medium amber, black, almond, and I'm sure some white as a base. I'm also playing with copper foil inclusions which is where the cool red splashes of color come from! :)

The light purple colors are the neo-lavender over white and champaigne. (The champaigne is a kind of a very light pink color.) This U96 neo-lav is almost exactly the same as the transparent neo-lav in Bullseye if you have tried that. The darker purple (and oops left in some chill marks.... :eek: ) is the grape transparent over white and it is very similiar to Moretti ink blue. These dark purple beads have lots of Val's frits mixed in. The very dense white frit is the enavel white frit.

The red and purple(grape over white) sets are all U96 except for a tiny bit of spectrum transparent red (YUMM... a real transparent red with no hassle! It is sheet glass that I cut into strips.) I really like the U96 red. It isn't too purple or too orange, just right!

Finally, the U96 sky blue with more copper bits. I just wanted to point out that the sky blue is more turquoise than blue (I think) and OH SO YUMMY! It is a no hassle color! Very nice!

But really, I just wanted to say that I LOVE LOVE LOVE the clear. I have messed with it so much and have had not had any trouble with it at all! It is buttery soft and just a pleasure to work with! Ok, maybe I left MORE than 2cents here...... but I have been cooped up in my house feeling a little under the weather and apparently I am full of chat! :) Can't wait to see all the other beadies.

Kalera
07-21-2004, 03:53 AM
Here's a set of ZooziiDiamonds made with Almond, Mauve and Grape, and a set made with Dark Green opal, white, and some of Val's frit! Love the combo.

greatfindsct
07-21-2004, 10:33 AM
Wow! Gorgeous beads everyone! Thank you so much for sharing, you did a good job making my mind up for me :p
So I would say by the looks of it, that the colors have a sort of creamy look to them, not as much swirls and movement as Gaffer, but similar?

emmytr1
07-21-2004, 01:45 PM
Ok since I'm fairly new to this art, I have a few questions. Is this a soft glass like moretti? Can you work it on a HH ? And as far as annealing it, what temp. to you set the kiln at ? I Love the colors of this glass and I need to have some, LOL.

Thanks,
Mary Lou

theonlyduda
07-21-2004, 03:39 PM
Nice diamonds Kalera! :)

This Uroboros 96 is not whispy like the gaffer cane. The opaques are just like Moretti or Bullseye, a solid color. The gaffer cane colors can appear whispy because they often (and Val can correct me if I'm wrong here) have a core of clear. The gaffer CANE opaques that I was lucky enough to get, have a layer of clear in the core, then white, then the color. Hopefully the photo below shows a little how the gaffer cane can look. I threw in a picture of some U96 cane as well, but to see more nice pictures of all the Uroboros cane you can go to the link by Kalera’s photo above as she has some for sale on her site…… :) Of course Val's link is above too! :)

I have found the U96 to be soft to work with. Both the white and clear melt very nicely, especially the clear, I just love it. I am on a minor, but maybe someone on a hothead has tried it and can chime in...... I anneal it all the same as I do Moretti, but I do run my kiln very hot while I work (980-1000). :D

PBrown
07-21-2004, 08:05 PM
Hello Everyone!

Please tell us where you can buy U96?

Thanks,
Penny

llglassdesigns
07-21-2004, 08:26 PM
Penny,
Try jodelglass.com
beadwife.com
jamilyn on ebay
Good luck,
deb

NYCindy
07-21-2004, 10:46 PM
I love technical discussions like this - I'll have to come to the showcase more often looking for them! :-) Here's a link to another discussion that those interested in knowing what U-96 is like - It's a discussion on the qualities of U-96 in the technical forum :-)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201144

Love the beads! I even love the cane pictures! PRETTY! :-)

Cindy

Alan Cross
07-22-2004, 02:10 AM
I am getting a lot of U96 peices from my fusing.....one of these days I will make some beads from them....they have wonderful colors...
Alan :)

StefaniBeads
07-22-2004, 09:57 AM
I posted these in the other thread on this glass. They are transparent dark blue and dark violet (grape?) swirled with white:

NYCindy
07-22-2004, 02:05 PM
Kalera,

I don't think I can tell the difference between the yellow opal and the almond - maybe I think I have yellow opal but it is almond. Help! I'm confused! :-) Would you post a picture of the two rods? I'm not sure which one I have - I thought it was yellow but now I'm not sure.

Thanks!
Cindy

Here's a set of ZooziiDiamonds made with Almond, Mauve and Grape, and a set made with Dark Green opal, white, and some of Val's frit! Love the combo.

NYCindy
07-23-2004, 10:20 AM
Ok, think I've figured this out on my own - what I thought was a pale yellow opal is the almond - all of the yellows are very bright.

Cindy

Lampburke
07-23-2004, 10:41 AM
Does the Uroboros 96 really widen the range of colors in the glasswork palatte? I'm not seeing any colors that aren't available in the Effetre-Vetrofond-Lauscha-Czech world ~ is this line mainly to broaden the choices for the stained glass-Spectrum-Bullseye community?

NYCindy
07-23-2004, 10:51 AM
I would say no, U-96 doesn't broaden the color spectrum of the Effetre/Moretti, Czech, line. There are 24 colors out now with a planned 50. Almond is a little different (but then I've never had the yellow opalino) and the mauve opal is a color I haven't really seen in other glass.

My interest is that it is compatible with the Gaffer glass/frit and sheet glass. I see more potential options in this than in Bullseye because of COE. I'm buying Effetre/Moretti sheet glass now for the painted beads I'm making - the sheet glass ain't cheap! A little sheet glass goes a long way for the beads but I'd like to explore other options.

Cindy

toozygoot
07-23-2004, 12:42 PM
Since I am pretty much all Bullseye now, what colors would I want to get first from Uroboros? Any suggestions before I get to spend some $$$ at the Gathering.

Thanks!
pat

theonlyduda
07-23-2004, 06:13 PM
Pat, I really like the U96 grape over white and the sky blue is very pretty as well... Definately get some white and clear if you want to play with any of Val's frits. :) The almond is also a color that seems to be unique to this line... I could go on.... but I'll stop! :D

I think Jamilyn has all sizes of sample packs available if you just want to try one rod of each color. You can find her at http://www.jamilyndesigns.com/uroboros.html :)

Jo-Del
07-31-2004, 10:47 PM
The 2 colors I worked in lAST NIGHT were 5331 and 1108 and white and silver
top Row
Ist bead: white glass coated with shy blue 5331, white dots covered with 1108
2nd bead : just 5331, I tried to fume with silver, did not take it so well.
3rd bead:white base case in 5331
4th bead 5331 rolled in Zen white (Vals frits), cased in clear
5th bead 5331 wrapped in silver leaf, 1 wrap, clear lines dragged tham and a shot of gas only to pull the silver out. other side is nicer!! oh well.
l6th bead 5331 rolled in Zen white Frit (Vals)

Row 2
1st bead:1108 medium amber alone, fumed in silver,
bead 2 : 1108 med amber rolled in silver leaf and made a few lines of clear on bead and dragged them a bit, shot of gas to pull out the silver
bead 3 white cased in 1108 medium amber
bead 4 white bead cased in 1108, rollen in zen white (vals frits) and encased in clear
bead 5 1108 alone funed in silver

Thats it for today, going to work in 2 more colors tonight and will post tommarro, This is starting to get fun. Monique

Jo-Del
07-31-2004, 10:55 PM
2 NIGHTS AGO
grape 5432 and white and silver, these are the 2 colors I used to make all these beads, 1 is with silver leaf on 5432 grape, 1 is fumed with silver, straight 5432 grape and the others are overlays and solid 5432 and white. Monique, I will post new pices every other day of 2 main colors used and silver with them also. i also used vals frits on one of them, But as I am unfamilai with the reduction frits, I chose the one that doesn't show much in the photo, next batch will be better as I am going to continue to try 2 colors silver and vals reduction frits! Monique