PDA

View Full Version : Newbie here

Leenashorses
07-20-2004, 07:34 AM
Hi!

I´ve been a member of Wetcanvas for a few months but only now had the time to really start digging into this treasure box. I am writing to Animal art forum, but as I do some of my work in pastels I thought I´d say hi to you wonderful artists also.

I´m from Finland, self-taught, paint mostly horses. If you wish to see my work go to

www.leenashorses.com

or to my city´s (Turku) official artists website

http://www.arsnet.net/ANJ.asp?viewID=301&peopleID=948
(here are some of my oldest and newest work I haven´t yet put to my own website)

I work with all kinds of pastels (hard, half-soft, soft and pencils). I only did my first pastel work last November (the picture is "Night" on my website) and fell in love with pastels immediately. I also love doing very detailed graphite pencil work and have just found liquid acrylics (a real hoot) and color pencils also.

I am working full time in an insurance company and dreaming of the day I might actually make a living by selling my art.

So hi to you all :)

Leena

Dark_Shades
07-20-2004, 07:51 AM
Hello Leena

What a Pretty Face you have...... and your horse portraits are beautiful too ...... hope you will share more work with us..... welcome to the Pastel Forum

Kathryn Wilson
07-20-2004, 07:59 AM
Hi Leena! Welcome to the Pastel Forum - glad you came in to introduce yourself. I think you'll find us a good group of people to hang out with - lots of fun, encouragement, help, information about products. Join us over in the Weekly Scumble too - our daily chat thread.

I visited your web sites and it's obvious you love horses - all wonderful work and hope at some point you feel comfortable enough to post whatever you are working on at the moment.

:D

Khadres
07-20-2004, 02:59 PM
Welcome! Very nice body of work, you have! I don't know a lot about horses (except that they HURT when they step on you! :D), but you are obviously an expert! Will be glad to see your new paintings from time to time!

Leenashorses
07-21-2004, 09:57 AM
Thank you for making me feel welcomed here. I must say Wetcanvas is a wonderful place. Whenever will I find time to go through everything here remains a mystery. Too much to see!

Leena :)

Deborah Secor
07-21-2004, 01:00 PM
Leena, these are wonderful paintings. I particularly like the ones where you have the action of the horse angled in toward the viewer, as if we're about to be run past (like Night). I love the eye in 'The Look' too! Very delicate work there. What paper do you generally prefer for your pastels? I hope you post a thread with some of these in it...

Welcome to the forum!

Deborah

Lisa Olivarez
07-21-2004, 01:59 PM
Soooo beautiful, Leena! I love your horses! Welcome!
Lisa

Leenashorses
07-21-2004, 04:35 PM
Hi :)

I use velour paper, it catches the pastels well and gives definite softness to the finished painting. Making sharp details takes a little patience with it. And I know I tend to do very detailed work, sometimes too much so.
I love to paint horses in motion and it is so much fun to get such a commission. Pilgrim´s Bunch was commissioned by his owner when she saw Night in my exhibition this January. Which is why they resemble each other.

Leena