PDA

View Full Version : Who makes metallic gold oil paint now?

aspiring artist
10-06-2001, 05:30 PM
My tube of Liquitex Metallic Gold #304 oil paint is now dried up and useless. As you may know, Liquitex no longer makes oil paints. Does anyone know which brand of oil paints has a metallic gold color in its line now? I'm looking for gold like the metal, not just gold ocher. Thanks a lot!

mirza
10-06-2001, 07:33 PM
Try Daniel Smith--metallics and pearlescents and all sorts of fun stuff. Good luck.

aspiring artist
10-06-2001, 10:42 PM
Thanks, Mirza, I'll check it out. I knew Daniel Smith carried water-soluable metallics, but didn't think to check and see if they carry any metallic oils in tubes.

mame
10-07-2001, 09:39 AM
I've found that printer's ink is the best for metallics. I bet Daniel Smith still carries it or try Dick Blick.

timelady
10-07-2001, 04:52 PM
Windsor & Newton artist oil colours have a copper, pewter, silver, bronze and gold. :) Haven't used them myself.

Tina.

Degas5
10-07-2001, 09:42 PM
Robert Gamblin has beautiful metallics.

Midwest Painter
10-07-2001, 09:59 PM
Williamsburg makes an iridescent gold.

http://www.williamsburgoilpaint.bizland.com/colorchart.htm

sarkana
10-08-2001, 10:08 AM
metallic-looking oil paints are usually made by use of tinted mica or tinted aluminum flake. unfortunately, the oil itself usually interferes with the refraction which makes these materials shiny. so in oil, the "metal" looks dull or tarnished.

two solutions to that problem:

david davis makes their metallic oil colors with a high percentage of beeswax. i prefer this method and have a tube of their antique gold i dip into every once in a while. it's really beautiful. also, i really like wax!

gamblin's metallic colors are made with alkyd resins rather than oils. they are the shiniest i have ever tried. for me personally, they were a little more intense than i wanted. also, i can't stand the smell of alkyds. but they are the most metallic-looking.

i also hear that daniel smith makes metallic and opalescent colors. i have never tried the metallics but daniel smith makes excellent oil paints.

mame
10-08-2001, 12:07 PM
Why not use the real thing - 23k goldleaf in sheets. You can glaze over for varying effects/brightness.

You can find it occasionally on e-bay for a fraction of retail

aspiring artist
10-08-2001, 06:47 PM
T H A N K S everyone! You've given me lots of avenues to pursue in my search for gold metallic oil paint.
Geee . . . I wish Liquitex hadn't stopped making oils.

shimo
10-11-2001, 06:12 PM
I'd agree that Gamblin's artist grade metallic oil colors are wonderful.
As far as the smell, IMHO they really smell just as nice as oils, if you like oil paint smell. Besides, Gamblins paints dry fast, unless you use Galkyd Slow Dry, and the smell should be gone by the time you varnish your painting.