PDA

View Full Version : How good is fishing line for jewelry?

Oskadis
07-19-2004, 11:35 AM
Hi,

This post got triggered by the nylon coated wire one.

I am wondering how the quality of fishing line has developed. My mother gave me as a kid some old necklaces strung on fishing line, which after wearing them a couple of times broke apart.

Knowing now, that the material that was being used for it (Nylon) became brittle due to sunlight mainly, I wonder if that has been fixed nowadays.

Some beading shapes for my jewelry would be so much easier to acomplish if I knew this string will hold over time.

debkauz
07-19-2004, 11:42 AM
I haven't tried it but have heard that is will stretch out pretty badly. I think that if you want something that will hold up over time you should choose another material. I use Softflex only. It's a bit pricey, but I think it's worth the added expense. I got mine at Bead and Button last year and I probably have enough to last another 2-3 years! It was a good deal! :evil:

Deb

MadameKali
07-19-2004, 12:01 PM
Fishing line, more devastating than breaking (after all, they do make line that you can put many pounds of pressure on before it breaks), will actually kink up and get all misshapen--you have to store the pieces very carefully, or they'll get bent and they will never go back to the original shape.

I use tiger tail, I think--or SoftFlex would be good, but I wouldn't recommend fishing line for that reason!

TheBlueBetween
07-19-2004, 12:14 PM
Regular fishing line sucks for jewelry - for all the reasons mentioned above. But there are fishing lines that are WONDERFUL for bead weaving - I love Fireline.

Here is what I posted in the other thread about it:

Fireline is supposed to be the best in the fishing line stringing materials because it won't break - it's supper strong, sun, water and time won't deteriorate it, it doesn't kink - it's got great drape - it doesn't stretch, and it knots really really well. And you can get it in all kinds of test weight - I like to use 6 lb for my seed bead weaving - you can get several passes through the beads with it. You can get it in some bead stores but I like to get it at the local fishing supply places. It comes in orange or grey - the grey blends right in to most projects.

You can read some more experiences with it on this page - about 1/3 way down http://www.lampwork.net/beadnotes.html

Pam

Penguintrax
07-19-2004, 12:46 PM
I like 6# Fireline for seedbead work. I don't think I'd use it for stringing work - I"m too in love is Softtouch wire, lol.

TheBlueBetween
07-19-2004, 01:04 PM
I like 6# Fireline for seedbead work. I don't think I'd use it for stringing work - I"m too in love is Softtouch wire, lol.

I have heard of people using the larger tests for stringing larger beads including lampwork - but I can't really see why they would ? Just like I can't imagine seed bead weaving with soft flex LOL.

:) Pam

beclectic
07-19-2004, 01:04 PM
Pam, great site. Thanks for taking the time to share it.

TheBlueBetween
07-19-2004, 01:18 PM
Pam, great site. Thanks for taking the time to share it.

Oh you're welcome - I think I had it in the jewelry links as well... but if you missed it, then you probably missed this incredible list too: http://www.lampwork.net/soozlinkslist.html - you could get lost for weeks in all these links.

:) Pam

lunamoonshadow
07-20-2004, 11:45 PM
I use 20# test fishline for mixed bead type jewelry--it holds wonderfully--you just need to look for "low memory" on the lable--that doesn't kink up!
I've had anklets worn every day 24/7 that have held up 3 or more years, I've got an eyeglass "leash" that's on 20# that's been around just over 10 years now & is still "going strong"--it's survived my friend having two little boys who did their best to relieve her of her glasses (she's handicapped) & they never "won"!
If you read the lables, you'll find several of the "beading monofiliament" 30 yard spools are actually manufactured by the same companies that manufacture fishing line on 270 yard spools....of course both cost about $2....just depends on which department you shop, how many yards you get for that $2!

Spiderline is good brand--they were giving out samples a couple years ago & I got one!

I've had tigertail/acculon break in 2 or 3 wearings, a lovely neckace on acculon snapped in an airport, and crimps cut right through tigertail, but I've yet to have a children's bracelet strung on fishline come back as "defective"...kids have pulled out the jumpring @ the clasp, & the bracelet has been totally "fine" & just needed a new jumpring....

Just my experience/opinions :)
--Lyn

Kerensamere
07-21-2004, 12:35 AM
I have also used a 20# fishing line for stringing. The pieces that I've covered in beads completely do just fine, haven't had any problems with breakage or kinking. One of the necklaces that I wear almost every day is holding up just fine.

I used to use it as an "invisible" cord for simple pendants too. Note the term "used to". The times I've strung one pendant or a pendant and a few small beads look great on a person but terrible in my displays and do have more chance of kinking. I've switched all of these to simple silver snake chains and just ditched the few extra beads. The result is much more appealing.

I have used fishing line for stringing some of my windchimes, so far no problems. I did have a huge pottery windchime (5 ft. long!!!) that I hung outside my front door at my old home for 4 or 5 hears the exposure to weather, hi and lo temps and sunlight the fishing line did need to be replaced, the line got brittle, but this was after several years of exposure, holding very heavy clay pieces.

I put a small drop of super glue/crazy glue on each knot to keep them from slipping. I've also used crimp beads on fishing line with good results.

I have a beaded watch band on tiger tail that was given to me several years ago. I've restrung it several times. Matter of fact, it's in pieces in a brown paper bag somewhere in my studio waiting, once again to be restrung. The stress on the cord through the bar on the watch face simply distroys the stuff. I'm thinking about changing the design completely and changing the stringing material as well. Going to have to replace several of the beads AGAIN because the were lost when the thing fell apart AGAIN!!!

-Jen

lunamoonshadow
07-21-2004, 10:29 PM
Hi Jen!
Your description of "great on a person, lousy on a display" for fishline perfectly describes how I feel about "tin cup" style necklaces (why DO they call them that?) My mother convinced me to make a dozen a few years ago "because ladies are asking for them"...yeah, they were asking--they sure as heck weren't BUYING them! I had 10...lousy for display. I think they sold 2 or 3 in a year & a half--this is after buying colored cord, matching up the beads, learning to knot the darn things properly...the last show I did last year Mom was "helping" me pick up...I ALWAYS leave stuff pinned on my velvet boards & just toss them in a suitcase flat...well she had a 'BETTER' way...she undid all the necklaces, folded them up & put them in a nice little box....guess what I had for the next fair??? YUP a giant KNOT of beads, cord, & essentially TRASH.....guess what I'm never making again??? :evil:
I did do one of those "pearls on illusion cord" necklaces--couldn't figure out a way to make it look good on a display either...I think it's floating (ha!) around here somewhere....
Well, I'm off to string more stuff on fishline!
--Lyn

Flexguy
07-22-2004, 03:03 AM
Oskadis -

I am real biased on this particular subject, I think my company has the best wire hands down - :)
I do not want to advertise here, but would be more than willing to help answer any questions you might have if you email me.

Thomas@softflexcompany.com

beclectic
07-22-2004, 08:53 AM
Welcome to wearable art Flexguy. We have another thread going concerning cable stringing materials. I think you will be pleased with it overall.

Gingerbiscuit
07-22-2004, 09:03 AM
Welcome Thomas! :)

Flexguy
07-22-2004, 09:17 PM
Thanks for the greetings.
I am excited to look around Wet Canvas. Looks like it is a great artist community.

:cool:

Kamaranoir
07-22-2004, 10:04 PM
Oskadis -

I am real biased on this particular subject, I think my company has the best wire hands down - :)
I do not want to advertise here, but would be more than willing to help answer any questions you might have if you email me.

Thomas@softflexcompany.com

Thomas

Welcome to Wet Canvas. I totally agree, you guys have the best wire and I've never used anything else! :clap:
Have you guys considered joining WC's Industry Partner? I believe you get your own forum to answer questions etc., plus other perks.
I know a lot of people (including myself) on these forums use your wire.

Enjoy the forum!

Penelle

Flexguy
07-23-2004, 06:59 AM
Penelle,

I just started looking at Wet Canvas, so, I am not familiar with any Industry Partner program. It is something I will certainly look into. Do you ever go to any So-Cal shows? I am always looking to meet fun new bead people. We often get to the Santa Monica shows, if you are ever around say hello.

thomas@softflexcompany.com

McDuck
07-23-2004, 10:36 AM
Welcome Thomas! :clap: I use softflex, very good wire if I might say so myself.
-Mary

Flexguy
07-23-2004, 06:06 PM
Greetings Mary,

Thanks for the compliment. I would like to return it by mentioning how much I like the ceramic beads on your website! ;)

debkauz
07-23-2004, 06:29 PM
Welcome Thomas! I only use softflex to string. I bought 1000ft at B&B ;last year so Ithink I will have it for a long while! I love the stuff and have never had any problems with it at all. Thanks for a great prouct!

Debbie

Flexguy
07-26-2004, 06:06 PM
Thanks Debbie,

It is great to find so many nice people here. The 1000ft spool you have should last quite some time. Are you designing for yourself or others? Do you have any pictures posted of your work anywhere?

Flexguy
07-26-2004, 06:16 PM
Debbie,

If you are interested in another 1000ft spool - we are having a contest to give away a spool of .014: http://softflexcompany.com/news.htm - You would probably be set for life at that point. :)

McDuck
07-26-2004, 07:07 PM
Hi Thomas, and thank you! The beads on my site currently pale when compared to my new beads. Flowers, shells, skipping stones.etc. I just need time to upload them is all. I am pming you a quick product question.

-mary

Jacinthe
08-13-2004, 06:58 PM
If you are interested in another 1000ft spool - we are having a contest to give away a spool of .014: http://softflexcompany.com/news.htm - You would probably be set for life at that point. :)

Hi Thomas,

I've just been searching the site, but I still can't quite figure out what softflex exactly is. I have tried beadalon and nymo thread. What exactly is softflex wire? and soft touch wire?

Here in Holland, I don't get much choice when it comes to beading supplies or suppliers.

Hugs from Holland,
Sarah

Kamaranoir
08-13-2004, 08:49 PM
Sarah,

Here is a description of the wire and what it is made from. You would love Softflex. I use it on everything. I haven't tried the Softtouch yet. Maybe Thomas can explain that a little better.

http://softflexcompany.com/soft_flex_wire.htm

http://softflexcompany.com/soft_touch_wire.htm

Penelle

Jacinthe
08-15-2004, 11:22 PM
Sarah,

Here is a description of the wire and what it is made from. You would love Softflex. I use it on everything. I haven't tried the Softtouch yet. Maybe Thomas can explain that a little better.

http://softflexcompany.com/soft_flex_wire.htm

http://softflexcompany.com/soft_touch_wire.htm

Penelle

Thank Penelle,

I musta been blind when I was searching the site. Unfortunately I can't get it here right now, so I'll have to wait to try it out.

Hugs from Holland,
Sarah

Flexguy
08-17-2004, 08:00 PM
Sarah,

Sorry, been out of the loop for a bit as we had a show and I did some work at our showroom. As far as our wire goes, the links Penelle put up explain what we are exactly. Our wire is comprised of stainless steel strands that are woven together - for strength, coated with nylon - to guard against abrasion, and comes in a big variety of colors from silver to pink to 24k gold. We use marine quality steel that will not rust and our wire is exceptionally flexible. You can knot every diameter of our wire - although, we recommend crimping for a more professional finish.

Penelle,

Thanks for the assist. You should try our Soft Touch wire sometime. Soft Touch is about fifty percent more supple than our Soft Flex line. If you are looking for less body - as in our Soft Flex, and more drapability, Soft Touch is the way to go. It collapses and hangs like thread would. Soft Touch is as strong and durable as Soft Flex. The best suggestion is to actually feel a sample. If anybody is interested in our Soft Touch line and would like to sample it before ordering it, email me and I will see what we can do.

:D