PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Sketches 19 July - 25 July 2004

DominicM
07-19-2004, 09:44 AM
And so begins another week of pastel sketching

This thread is open to everyone using pastels - hard, soft or oil. Its aim is to encourage us all to fit some pastelling into our week by doing quick studies which take an hour or less to complete. Set your timer for anywhere between 15 and 60 minutes and when your time's up, STOP, put down those pastels and share your efforts with us here!

Regular sketching to a time limit sharpens your observational skills and forces you to make rapid decisions. It also gets easier the more you practise! Sketch directly from life or from a photo - it's up to you - and feel free to post as many sketches as you like during the week. The aim isn't to produce a masterpiece, simply to get your fingers gunky and have a go. It's also a suitable place to post any informal pastels you've done during the week which took you under an hour.

Whether you're a newbie wanting to give those brand new pastel sticks their first ever workout, or a seasoned 'dust-buster' playing with ideas for a more considered piece, we hope to see you posting here.

Last week's thread:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202097

Look forward to seeing your sketches! :)

E-J
07-19-2004, 06:46 PM
Dominic, you're doing a great job here :)

This is the first art I've done in ten days. Figured I would ease myself back into it with an hour's sketching. It feels good to pick up the pastels again.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Jul-2004/13865-19july04.jpg

CarlyHardy
07-19-2004, 07:59 PM
E-J! Wow, I love your sketch....those eyes are glowing. I want to reach out and scratch those ears!!
carly

Kathryn Wilson
07-19-2004, 08:05 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Jul-2004/13865-19july04.jpg

OMG, you did THIS in an hour! Wonderful E-J! You did a great job on the tabby color - :clap:

prestonsega
07-19-2004, 08:42 PM
Last week I started out with an arrangment of Zennias, but after 30 min. was called away...they died, so I posted what I had...Today I was going to trash it but decided to play for 30 more min. ...let my hair down..break rules, use black, blend fix, scribble, scratch.worked with the drawing board flat on a table....this is what I came up with. Almost a full sheet of green Canson with Sennelier.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Jul-2004/29946-7-19-04soft-zennia.jpg

prestonsega
07-19-2004, 09:04 PM
EJ....the detail you were able to capture along with the expression in only an hour is amazing....more than amazing, but my vocabulary is limited...so I'll just say.. :clap:

Khadres
07-20-2004, 02:53 AM
Wow, EJ and Preston are starting the week off with a bang! I love both pics! The zinnias look like fun and that cat looks lazy and I just know it was purring madly! I'd better get busy this week and do something too! You guys are putting me to shame!

DominicM
07-20-2004, 04:33 PM
EJ, Be careful or I'll catnap that puss ;) - the artwork is gorgeous too, if it were mine it would be framed on the wall already...

Preston - wonderful recovery, I trust you are happy with result?

Hope to get some pastel done later on in the week... ...to much work getting in way of play at present... :mad:

Stoy Jones
07-21-2004, 09:01 PM
E-J, I'm like Preston, I'm speechless! :clap:

Preston, I didn't realize these were as delicate! The playing around is expressed quite well. Very lively! The pot looks really good, loose, but excellent shape and form.

Stoy

prestonsega
07-22-2004, 12:29 AM
E-J, I'm like Preston, I'm speechless! :clap:

Preston, I didn't realize these were as delicate! The playing around is expressed quite well. Very lively! The pot looks really good, loose, but excellent shape and form.

Stoy

do you mean delicate in that they die quickly after being cut? or delicate in the clunky way I depicted them?? When I said I was called away...I meant for several days,,and the heat does a number on 'em...the fun part was that the blooms weren all done out of my head after the origional 30 min color blocking session shown below with no pic or live reference...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jul-2004/29946-30minzennia.jpg

And by the way,Stoy..where is one of your 30 minute marvels you have bvbeen producing that I've been looking forward toi each week?

Stoy Jones
07-22-2004, 01:15 AM
do you mean delicate in that they die quickly after being cut? or delicate in the clunky way I depicted them?? When I said I was called away...I meant for several days,,and the heat does a number on 'em...the fun part was that the blooms weren all done out of my head after the origional 30 min color blocking session shown below with no pic or live reference...

Lol, well that explains it :p I can't say I know much about flowers, but thought it sounded odd that they should die after a day or two. Really like the blocked in version just as well....if I were to lose a reference like that, I'd be lost!

Stoy