PDA

View Full Version : Structured Critique

Moth
07-18-2004, 01:25 AM
Here is an example of one of the beads (front and back) I have been making with layers of stripes forming patterns and movement. The making of them is thrilling to me, but so far they have NOT been well-received and I would really appreciate some feedback as to possible reasons why. The technique itself isn't new, but I wouldn't say the style itself is over-saturated to the point where people are sick of seeing it around; am I wrong about that maybe?

Thanks in advance to all of you who respond, and thanks to Beth for spear heading. :D

~~Mary

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jul-2004/24464-burgundyswirl1o.JPGhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jul-2004/24464-burgundyswirlo.JPG

Beth Myers
07-18-2004, 01:36 AM
No thanks needed Mary!
We all here hope everyone will find it helpful.
Mary, I know how conscientious you are about your work, so I'm going to have to take a bit of time and study on this one. You're right, there is just something about them that doesn't go BANG when you first see them, and maybe that's not a bad thing, but if you're like me, I like a little Bang, when I roll out a new piece from the studio. (there is a bad joke in there somewhere)
I'm printing out a copy of your photo and think over this for a bit.
Just wanted to let you know that I wasn't ignoring you and to remind everyone, Saturday and Sunday can be slooooow around here. But rest assured, you will get some responses soon.
Thanks Mary for submitting your work.
Big hug,
Beth

koregon
07-18-2004, 02:27 AM
Mary,
I think its the season...I was told by a jewelry designer...who emailed me...it was about my rainbow ice Kalera set that I asked about why the auction wasn't getting any bids...she gave me her feedback as a buyer and so forth...well we wrote back and forth a bit...and she said she was looking for summer colors right now...sooooooo that could be it. A lot of people can't wear those colors well...I can't...I am a winter and those tones...just dont look well on me...so even thou I might like the bead...I more than likely wouldn't buy it...there is a realm of colors that anyone can wear....what I mean is they good on all skin tones. I think come fall...they might be more what people are looking for...they are kind of retro looking to...in a way...I see the 70's in those when I look at them. So its a look, at least in my eyes...and sometimes a look...in a certain direction just has to be found by the right audience.

Its a cool bead...well executed...for a person/buyer who wants warm tones...in a stripe kinda retro look.

I could be off...but thats what I see....right now my brain thinks...tropical...summer...colorful...I find myself making earthy to now and then because I like them...but the colors seem to do better as far as selling.

I really think its the time of year/season your trying to sell them

scupltorgirl
07-18-2004, 03:25 AM
Hi Mary -- I think Kaye "hit it on the head" with the color selection and stripes being reminiscent of the '70s. Remember the thin-striped skirts and shirts that were out a couple of seasons ago? They were '70s retro.

Right now, though it may be a great execution of a certain style, the colors are not exactly what's "in fashion", and at this point in history, it's not classic enough to be something that a person would wear with everything.

I like the stripes and the twist and the shape well enough -- probably choosing a more current color palette would make it much more desireable to your customers. Kaye's suggestion of tropical colors should update the look; or you could try all warm colors or all cool colors, and/or possibly trade-out the white for black in the striping to make the other colors "pop". It is just that its very conservative (between the earthtone colors and the white and the thin stripes)....not very bouyant or playful like the other beads I've seen you post.

Kreszentia
07-18-2004, 07:27 AM
Hello Mary,

in my eyes this is a very beautiful bead, very well done and stylish. I don't think there is anything wrong about it. If it doesn't sell and you don't want to keep it I would provide a loving home for it :-)

Honestly I think it's just the colors. I noticed that people buy beads according to the clothes that are en vogue actually. If you want to sell them try other colors.

Another thought I'm not sure about: It might add a point of attraction if you woul embellish the center of the swirl somehow. Maybe just a dot, maybe a simple onecolored contrasting melted in flower ... Really, I'm not sure about this, but somehow my Eye is missing something in the center of the swirl.

Bye

Kreszentia

StefaniBeads
07-18-2004, 09:10 AM
Well Mary, you know I like beads with the swirly patterns! ;)

I especially love the warm tones in this bead. Maybe it's a seasonal thing and they do look like fall colors. But whatever you do, don't give up on this style and color combo.....last fall I made a bunch of sets in simliar colors like your bead (yours is nicer) and they went flying out the door. Not only on ebay but friends had requested them too. ;) :cool:

Mike E etc
07-18-2004, 09:28 AM
OK Mary,
it's my turn... :) .
I like the look and pattern and the colors. The first thought was agate then earth tone and last, a bead from antiquity. I have in the past renamed an item and had it sell better than before. So for this color range maybe a name like 'agate series' would help.

Mike E

Helen Simon
07-18-2004, 09:35 AM
Ya' know, I can't sell an earthtone bead on eBay for anything, but I bet if you used your stripes swirling as a background w/ maybe some blues, greens, and added a big fat FLOWER on top, you'd sell the daylights out of them. Anything pink or purple does pretty well for me. Love, Helen

dogmaw
07-18-2004, 10:16 AM
I don't think the colors need to be changed, just the contrast. The swirls are beautiful as is, but on my screen it looks pretty muddy because all the colors (except that bit of white) have the same value. I bet if you include a really light shade and a really dark shade it will pop more.

Jo

bolimasa
07-18-2004, 12:47 PM
Mary,
I presume that by well received you mean on ebay? I like the bead, but I like earth tones and organic kind of beads. I play around a lot with silver, which often makes my beads earth toney. Every time I make one, I have my quality control expert(my daughter) look at it and she says "too brown". I think your design is nice, but if you wish to sell them you might look for some eye catching colors. I don't follow ebay too much, but from what I've seen I think "happy colors" sell better. (?, darn!)

GinaJ
07-18-2004, 01:04 PM
Beautiful bead, I love that technique. I agree about the colors, though. Even using those same colors, with maybe a stripe of transparent teal would give it a little punch.

Moth
07-18-2004, 03:08 PM
Thanks you guys for such great direction.

After I posted this thread last night, I started thinking about it more myself and the first thing that popped into my mind was Michael Barley's beads. Not that mine looks anything like his, but what I mean is that if you look at one of his haiku series of beads. They are simply gorgeous and truly are poetic. It seems like he finishes the bead takes one good hard look at it and places that one perfectly formed red dot in exactly the right place. At that very moment, the bead is finished. You look at it and just even one dot missing would through the whole rhythm of the bead off.

That is what my bead is missing. Rhythm. That one last red dot so to speak. Problem is, I don't know where to put it. LOL Guess that is what makes Michael Barley himself.

Innhoo...I agree about the colors too. It never occured to me though because I mostly just make what I like, and I like earthy muted colors. I make florals because I am pretty decent at them and they sell well and pay for my glass and my car. :evil: Those are almost always the happy brighter colors that were mentioned here. I was trying not to pigeonhole myself into making only florals, but whenever I branch out I get stymied.

The bead in the picture is a uranium yellow white heart base, with a striped cane of wine red, opal yellow, blue aventurine, and light ivory all striped over clear. When I make my canes, I choose four colors. Two lights and two darks and then I rotate the stripes as I apply them. Perhaps I should make one of the lights always be extremely lighter, and one of the darks extremely darker. I see what you mean about the color value.

I learned a little bit about that when I was taking black and white photographs. You want to aim to have one true black and one true white in your final pictures, if you can attain that, the values in between will take care of themselves. Sounds like I need to apply that same principle to these beads. Get a light light, a medium value light, a medium value dark, and a dark dark. LOL That sounds nuts, but I know what I mean and I am mostly just thinking aloud here.

Perhaps as well I should case the individual stripes before I build the cane. This would keep them from muddying together.

Here is a picture of one that, if I am understanding you all right, might be closer to hitting the mark. I was very happy about this one at first, but the more I think about it, the more I wish I had done a little more where the converging stripes meet. Again, that one last missing piece to the puzzle. Maybe I could have heated just the point where the two directions come together and raked it gently down. Would have formed some cool looking arrows. Who knows...too late now. Will have to try on another bead.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jul-2004/24464-carmelswirltabo.JPG

I really appreciate all the great feedback you have so generously shared. I am rejuvenated with ideas and can't wait to try some of these in happier, brighter colors. And yes...maybe I WILL put a huge ol'flower on a few. ;)

~~Mary

!ngridh
07-18-2004, 08:02 PM
OKeyDokey...as I have responded to someone else's bead... what's it gunna do...what is its purpose in life? A bead is rarely just laying around buy itself.

So will this be a focal on pendant? are you looking for good colors for spacers?

so for me ...it isn't just the bead but what's it gunna be?

When is it gunna be? Who will be wearing it with what?

I hope this isn't dumb but a nice bead is only looking for the right spot and spotlight to be...beheld ;-))))

for me it is too monochromatic...a little bit...not too much of something Pizzzzzzzzazzzzzzzzzz to break up the waves ;-) just a wee tiny bit ;-)
pea green ...coral? copper green? :D

bolimasa
07-18-2004, 09:11 PM
A bead is rarely just laying around buy itself.
:D

Your right, they don't lay around by themselves.... they have lots of company... orphan friends laying in piles on my work bench, my dresser, my bathroom counter, my coffee table, my dining table.....

sislonski
07-18-2004, 09:15 PM
Mary,
I actually think that the bead in the last photo that you showed is very nice. The first photo it didn't really do anything for me but your last post photo, it is very beautiful as is. It just needs beads and silver to go with it and you have a beautiful bracelet. For what it's worth as an artist. As for ebay I couldn't comment as I don't sell on ebay. It's one of those beads that you have to see or have a great picture of to sell.

shari

firemonkey
07-18-2004, 09:44 PM
Hi Mary,
For me, it's not about the color on the first bead you posted, it's more about composition. The pattern doesn't work well with the form, to my eye. A longer bead, cylinder or bicone, would fit the linear pattern better. There is nowhere for the eye to move to so it looks static to me. The pattern on the second bead you posted
fits the rounder shape bead IMO. I think working the pattern and form together often gets overlooked, especially since bead making is so spontaneous an act, it's harder to plan as you go.

Moth
07-18-2004, 10:23 PM
Hi Mary,
For me, it's not about the color on the first bead you posted, it's more about composition. The pattern doesn't work well with the form, to my eye. A longer bead, cylinder or bicone, would fit the linear pattern better. There is nowhere for the eye to move to so it looks static to me. The pattern on the second bead you posted
fits the rounder shape bead IMO. I think working the pattern and form together often gets overlooked, especially since bead making is so spontaneous an act, it's harder to plan as you go.

That is SO true. This is really a new game for me. The bead at the top of this thread is only the 4th one I have made and I am having such a good time pulling and applying the canes, I have no plan as to what the finished bead will look like. I don't even know what pattern I am going to lay the stripes in until I get the first one down. Linda (bolimasa) posted a bead in a structured critique thread that has a knock-out shape. I think that the shape of her bead would lend itself very well to a dramatic stripe. I have the kiln heating up right now and I am going to go out as soon as my advil kicks in to play for a few hours.

What started this whole striped bead thing off in my head in the first place were some hollow boro beads that have stripes running in a twist down the length of them. (Newbery art glass Link) (http://www.glassartists.org/Gal3212_Hollow_Beads_-_Nov..asp) Sort of fat bicone/barrel/taper hybrids. Absolutely stunning. I was trying to mock that effect with the striped cane and stumbled upon doing the different directional patterns and it is something I would like to develop further for myself just because I love to make them. One of the things that makes the boro beads I am talking about so stunning is how the line of the pattern echoes the shape of the bead. Not nearly as casual looking as what I have done so far.

There is so much to learn, so many places to go!!!!

Thank you!
~~Mary

Beth Myers
07-19-2004, 12:56 AM
Hi Mary,

Mary,
I have to agree with all that Holly said.
I don't know if you used a mold or masher for these, but try free form shaping by hand and see where it takes you.
There is just not anything "interesting" or eye catching about this bead.
I also have to second what Mike said, done in an interesting shape, these layers of color would look very organic. And while the bicone shape you mention would be a better canvas for this technique, maybe one not so "done" and more off hand would work better.
Don't over think it, let the glass move and your instincts work for you.
Beth

Moth
07-19-2004, 02:27 AM
Mary,
I have to agree with all that Holly said.
I don't know if you used a mold or masher for these, but try free form shaping by hand and see where it takes you.
There is just not anything "interesting" or eye catching about this bead.
I also have to second what Mike said, done in an interesting shape, these layers of color would look very organic. And while the bicone shape you mention would be a better canvas for this technique, maybe one not so "done" and more off hand would work better.
Don't over think it, let the glass move and your instincts work for you.
Beth

Over-thunk is what I did. :rolleyes: Went out to the torch and after three screw-ups and one mercy dunking I turned it all off. LOL It wasn't only these either, it was anything I tried. Tonight just wasn't the night I guess. There is always tomorrow. :D

I don't have any presses, but I do have tweezer mashers. These were all shaped by hand. My graphite paddle and me are good buddies. Sometimes I get a little redundant though with the shaping. I will definitely keep that in mind. :)

~~Mary

Beth Myers
07-19-2004, 03:53 AM
Over-thunk is what I did. :rolleyes: Went out to the torch and after three screw-ups and one mercy dunking I turned it all off. LOL It wasn't only these either, it was anything I tried. Tonight just wasn't the night I guess. There is always tomorrow. :D

I don't have any presses, but I do have tweezer mashers. These were all shaped by hand. My graphite paddle and me are good buddies. Sometimes I get a little redundant though with the shaping. I will definitely keep that in mind. :)

~~Mary

Ahh Mary,
I've done the same thing, you decide "I CAN DO BETTER THAN THIS" and off you go to fix it all, only to find out, nothing works. That's why my comment about over thinking it. Now is a good time to play, with NO expectations in mind. I've heard it said that a great idea can be a heavy burden, I think it applies in this case, lol.
Have some fun, there is a design that your brain is trying to give birth to, but the harder you try to help, the more your software bogs down, ;) .
You'll get it. Welcome to the wonderful world of the creative process, lol.
Beth

denizen
07-19-2004, 03:51 PM
The striped side is too regular--all the white stripes are pretty much the same width, same with the other colors. Also, there's almost the same amount of several of the colors, which isn't very interesting

I like the swirled side of the bead better than the plain stripe, partly because there's more going on, but also because there's lots of one color, with varying amounts of the other colors.

There's a rule of thumb in decorating (but applicable to most art forms) to use 75% of your main color, 20% of a second color, and 5% of an accent color.

Lee

NYCindy
07-19-2004, 05:46 PM
Ok, Mary - I think I'm weird because I can't stop thinking about this! :-) I love the first bead with the swirl - I'd like to see it a little rounder - a true lentil shape and then the bead needs some company as others have mentioned. What I am seeing in my mind is a series of graduated lentils (maybe 6 with the one in the picture as the focal) but each set of two beads has an element of the strips and swirl - not the whole bead striped but part of it - it would be as if the bracelet or necklace were swirling - slowly at first and then faster and faster until you hit the culmination in the focal bead!

So that was more about concept than execution but that's art for you! :-)

Cindy

debkauz
07-20-2004, 03:35 PM
I'm sorry I didn't have time to read the whole thread so I hope I am not repeating someone else's comments. I like the style of the bead, but I'm not nuts about the colors. For what I make, the colors wouldn't work at all. Do it in red/silver/black and I'll take a dozen! And, I'd like a bicone better for the shape. I'm not a huge lentil fan when I like the colors and I pretty much don't like the shape at all with those colors.

Deb

Moth
07-21-2004, 01:24 AM
I'm sorry I didn't have time to read the whole thread so I hope I am not repeating someone else's comments. I like the style of the bead, but I'm not nuts about the colors. For what I make, the colors wouldn't work at all. Do it in red/silver/black and I'll take a dozen! And, I'd like a bicone better for the shape. I'm not a huge lentil fan when I like the colors and I pretty much don't like the shape at all with those colors.

Deb

Thanks Deb! I appreciate the feedback. I did do one in red/black/white and the black/white reacted to make silver lines between. Was really cool...gave it to my nephew because they are his school colors.

I don't like lentils either and I hardly ever make them...this is a tab. The only lentils I make are the teeny tiny ones in solid colors and I haven't made any of those in months. I bought a 7/8" lentil masher and it takes so much glass to fill the cups that I have only ever made 1. LOL :rolleyes: I don't even know where those are anymore. Maybe I should put them in the swap shop when I find them. :evil:

I have been thinking more too about the color balance in this bead, about how I shouldn't make it so uniform. Have one predominating color, then two or more weaker accents. Went looking at clothes today and even in clothing the stripes held that ratio. Wallpaper too. Something to seriously consider when designing that I never gave much thought.

Thanks again all of you!
~~Mary

Cyndilee
07-21-2004, 02:22 PM
I'm a "somewhat" newbie to making beads- so take that in consideration while I share my 2 cents worth, I love the technique of this bead but I'm not crazy about earth tones- any of my beads I've made with earth-tones I've not been thrilled with, but that is just personal taste. Also as someone else stated in an above post I think the colors are too evenly balanced. I think they would be gorgeous mixed with gold filled beads and crystal in a bracelet. (Especially if the lentil had a bit of adventurine) Also I think as a set paired with some solid coodinating beads they'd sell just fine. Though the second one kind of reminds me of the polyester shirts my Nana had in the 70's. I made a similar lentil in blues and ended up decorating it with flowers and then still wasn't totally happy with it. I've found with my jewelry pieces I have a few I really don't care for and aren't really "my style" but with a little patience the right customer comes along and thinks it's the most original awesome thing- go figure! E-bay is kind of limited in that aspect though. I'd love to see some of those beads in some sherbet type colors or pinks with a bit of black!
Cyndi
PS. I'll edit w/ a photo program and post them different colored....
:p I think it was just the colors!!! I really like it in pink!

Moth
07-21-2004, 03:36 PM
I really like these structured critique threads. What an awesome thing. I have been following all of them too. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Just a side note, this thread has helped me in so many ways besides just for this one bead. I noticed a common tone through this thread that people didn't care for the earthy colors, muddy, dark, etc. In person this bead IS red white and blue. Albeit, muted red, white and blue, but still.

I used to have my photo setup in the dining room, but it looked horrible and I take pictures every day and didn't like breaking it down and putting it away just to have to reset it again the next morning. (Lazy) SO, I moved it out to my studio. This was 10 days ago or so. The pictures of this bead and all my auctions for the last 10 days were taken out there and I thought they looked ok. BUT, for the last 10 days I have had more beads not sell than ever before. More low-price enders too. I just figured it was because ebay is so slow in the summer and I didn't really complain too much about it, just figured to go with the flow.

Last night at walmart I bought two 250 watt lightbulbs to use in my set up. That light boost makes all the difference. I didn't realize how crappy my pictures looked until I took these:

Before & After:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jul-2004/24464-burgundyswirl1o.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jul-2004/24464-redswirlsretakeo.JPG

Before & After:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jul-2004/24464-carmelswirltabo.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jul-2004/24464-orangeswirlso.JPG

Granted, this improved picture doesn't actually improve the bead, but it least it doesn't make it look worse! LOL

Thanks so much for all your help. If it weren't for this thread, who knows how long it would have taken me to figure out how yucky my pics look.

~~Mary

dogmaw
07-21-2004, 04:23 PM
Mary,

What a difference the pictures make! I take back my comments about your beads looking muddy. Now just a little more red, and they are perfect!

Jo

Kalera
07-22-2004, 04:38 AM
I like the colors, and I like the composition. It's true that earth tones aren't selling well right now, but in a month they will, so make what you like and let the buyers catch up when they get around to it! ;)

I, too, would like to see a more elongated shape... maybe more of a flattened barrel or bicone shape? I think this would enhance the design.

The most significant thing, I think you've already cottoned onto... the pictures. There was simply not enough contrast in the first pics, they were too monochromatic. You fixed one part of that, but I'd like to see it taken even farther with a nice grey or white background, and, I am not sure of a good way to say this, but the fuzzy stuff gives me the willies! It totally distracts from the bead, IMO.

I think you're on to something; stick with it! "If you build it, they will come".

pearsonglass
07-22-2004, 03:12 PM
I think that the form need to be more polished. I know that someone has already hit on this, but I agree. If you want to keep the lentil shape, try it a little rounder. It would also be nice if the outer curve continued closer to the hole. The straight edge of the bead prevents your eye from flowing around the form. I would also make the swirl a little tighter. The colors I like, I would not change them much.

Brad

Lara
07-23-2004, 07:27 PM
I read some of the posts here, but not all, so I hope I'm not repeating.

1 - I like the earth tone colors and these colors should do well in the fall. For summer time sales I would like to see bright colors, bold colors.

2- Pictures looking so much better, good job.

3 - For this type of bead, the ivory that is spreading out on the first bead is not appealing to me. The crisp lines of the second bead I think look better with this design.

Lara L

Moth
07-24-2004, 01:18 AM
Thanks again to all of those who have added comments since I checked last.

Jo, yes...definitely more RED for next time. :D

Kalera...you know, I never noticed those fuzzies. I use a piece of gray felt as a backround and set the bead on a piece of white felt (because it makes the one click white correction easier in my editing program, and the felt doesn't reflect light) and it doesn't look or feel all that fuzzy in person, but in the pics it is magnified so much I can see where it could give someone the willies.

SO, tonight when we were out I bought a multi-pack of several shades of gray papers and also a sheet of that white foam that kids use for crafts that is sticky on one side. I will set the bead on the smooth, white, non-reflective foam and use a sheet of the medium gray paper as the backdrop and see how they turn out. There are like 5 shades of gray in the pack of paper so there is bound to be at least one that works right.

Brad, this isn't a lentil, but I agree on the rounder shape...even taller than round actually...something that would continue the line a little further. You are so right and I will work on this. I have purposely not made any of these the last few days because I want to go back into it excited and fresh. I have been sketching some shape/pattern relationship ideas so hopefully I am not going in without a plan...some sort of direction might help me.

Lara, at first, I liked how the ivory was webbing out and beginning to feel organic, but the more I look at it, the less I like it. From any more than 2 inches away it just looks blurry.

I have said it at least once before, and I will say it again...I LOVE these structured critique threads. Thank you all big time!!! :clap:

~~Mary