PDA

View Full Version : Please critique...ready for ebay?

manda j
07-18-2004, 12:05 AM
Hi-
I posted these in the Sat show and tell, but will try with a new thread. I am thinking of trying these (as separate items) on ebay. Wonder if they are "good enough"? and what a starting price should be. I'd appreciate any advice or comments. I am using a scanner, so the picture could be better I guess. Thanks, 'manda

MegannsMom
07-18-2004, 12:36 AM
Hi there! While I am still pretty new to lampwork, I am NOT new to beads; yours are very pretty! I really like the rainbow effect of the first set. The second and fourth sets utilize my favorite color combination, and the color and unique shape of that third one is beautiful! The only problem I have with any of them is in the second set; the two little spacers don't match, colorwise. Looks like you got a little more reaction out of the ivory in that one on the left. I am VERY (translate into TOO) picky about that kind of thing, so take what I say with a grain of salt. Otherwise, I would say, as long as they have been properly annealed, they are ready to take a leap into the 'BAY! Price-wise, I really couldn't tell you...I have seen beads start out at 99 cents and go up to $300! But I wouldn't take the chance, if I were you. I would say anywhere from $3 to $5 per bead for the smaller beads, maybe $5 to $8 for the larger? Just a suggestion...someone else here could help you out about pricing lampwork beads better than I. Good luck with your auction!I am sure you will do well!
~Cindy

Beth Myers
07-18-2004, 01:13 AM
Amanda,
You have a gift for small details.
These are very good starter beads. You have an excellent eye for color.
However, these are several looks that have been done so often before.
Yes, they are popular and you've done a good job (maybe watch for "undercuts" around your dots) they are not unique in design.
A challenge, take some of these design elements and mix them up a bit, change them around, see where you go, let your mind lead. PLAY with ideas.
And see if you can't translate these into a style all your own.
You can do it. And I can't wait to see what you've come up with.
Remember, you have just that one chance to make a first impression.
And talent like your shouldn't settle for anything average.
Thank you for letting us have a look at your work. It is a very hard thing to do. And I admire your courage, and progress of your skills.
Crossing my fingers for you,
Beth

manda j
07-18-2004, 07:55 AM
Thank you Beth and Cindy for your honest critiques. I love the color combos as well, and seem to be stuck there sometimes.

I totally agree with you Beth that I need to, and have not yet, found my own style. I feel my beads have improved since about a year ago when I took my first class. I feel much more "relaxed" when playing with the glass and have gotten in a lot more practice recently. I, like most people, still have days when everything seems go go right and other days when I can't even seem to make a round bead.

WC has been very helpful and I will attempt to continue to help others. I'll see if I can change the title on this to "structured critique".
'manda

Emily NZ
07-18-2004, 08:05 AM
I like the colours too, but just thought I'd let you know that I find the pipe cleaners distracting my eyes from the beads.
Emily

dgg112
07-18-2004, 09:57 AM
I think they are great beads, Manda!!!!!!
Can't help you with ebay but as a buyer not a seller, I would think someone would snatch those beauties up real quick. I LOVE the blue and green focal, the second one, it's gorgeous!!!!

dogmaw
07-18-2004, 10:13 AM
I agree about the pipe cleaners, I feel like I can't see the ends on the third one down. I also would like to have something other than 2 orange ones in the first set. Having said the "negative", your technique looks good! Be sure to branch out and try new things, even if it is with the same colors. I bet once you do that your work will fly off the bay.

Jo

Beth Myers
07-18-2004, 12:21 PM
Mandy,
I sat down yesterday and couldn't get a bead in shape no matter what I did. And I wasn't doing anything different than normal for me. And I never have a problem getting beads to form. LOL! It was so crazy that I had to laugh and sit back and think well, some days ya got it, some days you don't.
I kept working, wacky shapes and all. It made for good practice and I got to try out some things I had been wanting to play with, all in all, it turned out to be a great play/learning session. The beads will go in the "box", but I will have them for future reference to color combinations and reactions, I like that.
As for the pipe cleaners, I assumed you scanned those just for this post and the cleaners would be replaced if you listed.
Again, thanks for being so open to all suggestions.
You've been great!
Beth

!ngridh
07-18-2004, 02:54 PM
OK I guess I have a different view of ebay. I sell beads, it is never a matter if they are good enough for ebay. I am honest about what I list and pretty much ask what I want for beads. So to ask someone like me ...are these good enough for ebay...Ebay doesn't care ...they won't send you an email saying...huuuuuuuummmmmm we don't think these aer good enough...LAUGH... :D You had better be laughing ...that was a joke...
I started making beads in dec 01 and was listing and selling beads on ebay New Year's Weekend...were they good enough? well...... they all sold...so...
your beads are good enough for ebay...that is my opinion...they are nicely photographed adn that can be a big obstacle... I would lose the pipecleaners tho ;-)

good look with your beads on ebay ;-)

koregon
07-18-2004, 03:05 PM
yes I think they are ready for eBay...but not with those photo's...loose the pipe cleaners...it makes it so no one can see how your ends are on your beads...I am one of the ones that believe as long as your bead is annealed and of sound execution...meaning...bumpies aren't going to pop off and they are centered etc...that you can sell for sure on eBay...there is a place for everyone...we all evolve and move on...if you are proud of those beads and they seem good to you...than others will think that. Before I sold on eBay...I had bought $1,200 worth of lampwork beads, which formed my addiction for this art venue...I finely knew I had to learn to make them or go broke. So when I took my class and made beads a week later at home...I knew from what beads I had bought and what as a jewelry maker I knew was a good bead if it was good enough to sell. I just improved from then on...but everyone who bought my first beads were pleased...as time went on...prices rose and beads got better and better until I am where I am today...with still more room to grow ...its an evolution...I think selling on eBay will just help you grow to tell you the truth and give you confidence in your work.

ok enough of that...the beads are great colors...I would take pix without pipe cleaners and a couple shots at different angles.

we all have different likes and dislikes in colors and styles...it is what makes us all individual more than machine as artist... a good thing huh?

I like the top strand a lot...I dont know if the spacers do anything with your organic tab...I like the tab but not the spacers. the one on the left is just to dark...maybe some transparents that match the focal...
The bottom set is pretty good..some amber spacers between it all might really brighten it up...the third bead...jury is out...can't tell detail in the photo at all and end shape because of pipe cleaner.

manda j
07-18-2004, 06:34 PM
Thanks for all the constructive criticism.
I certainly agree about the pipe cleaners- they have to go! I mainly used them to keep the beads upright while on the scanner bed. What would you reccommend instead? Bead wire? Bali spacers? Ribbon?

Jo- the third bead is a little redder in person- but I guess that doesn't really matter. I will try it again and get it redder so it will look red and not orange in the picture.

Ingrid- I loved your little joke and WAS laughing. WHAT- you mean you've never gotten a note from them telling you about the quality of something you are selling???
You are absolutely right- what a silly thought.

Debbie- Thanks for the compliments.

Kaye- I agree that the spacers don't do much for the organic- maybe just 2 in the transparent or maybe ivory with just a little SIS.

Here is another shot of the one no one can see the ends of. It really IS a pretty bead. Clear stringer is swirled around the whole thing and then clear dots continue the pattern.

Great idea about putting AMBER beads between the spacers of the turquoise set. I never would have thought of amber...

PreciousBeads
07-29-2004, 10:57 PM
Manda,

I am new to the WC and new to lampworking so can't give you GREAT advice like these other members have. I will say I WOULD BUY THEM!!! :clap:

I absolutely LOVE the first set........
Melanie (Who is just starting to get the beads ROUND :confused: )

manda j
07-30-2004, 12:01 AM
Hi Melanie!
Welcome to WC and thanks for the kind words. I can't believe you found this thread- it was getting pretty old and no one had seen the updated picture of the black bead. Keep reading - there is sooooo much to learn here!

'manda