GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: "Lisa"
Year Created: 2004
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 7x10
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Thought I'd try going back to my roots,lol.
Acrylic-on-paper,......painted tighter than usual......
The subject comes from a photo I had taken of Lisa in our little-bit-o' paradise while on vacation in Northern California..............

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
All of your thoughts and comments welcome and appreciated..

Shehaub
07-17-2004, 09:20 PM
The colors in this are simply breathtaking. I love this.

turlogh
07-17-2004, 09:35 PM
All of your thoughts and comments welcome and appreciated..
Nicely done, but the bright colored thing in front of her is confusing; I guess it is the end of the bench. Because it is close to flesh color, I at first tried to read it as a hand or something. You may want to clarify it by making the color and value more similar to the other side of the bench.

Otherwise, I like it.

cotopaxi_annie
07-17-2004, 10:50 PM
The work that you have done with light and color in this painting is simply breathtaking. Beautiful Job!

Annie :clap: :clap:

Spyderbabe
07-17-2004, 11:18 PM
Such beautiful handling of light. I do agree with turlogh re the rock/hand thing.
Does Lisa love it?

Michael-Ann
07-18-2004, 12:50 AM
Absolutely Heavenly...love the golden glow.

Dana Design
07-18-2004, 01:43 AM
Beautiful, Scott, really beautiful! Everything works here.

Aselka
07-18-2004, 03:01 AM
Love it, especially hair reflecting sun. I do agree with turlough about bench. I could not understand at first what it was. It distract from Lisa's warm skin tones.

NHyde
07-18-2004, 04:41 AM
Acrylic? Goodness, I've fainted. :evil:

You're lucky you've got such a beautiful model! Just think if you could only post a "Wes". :D Or a Nicole at 3:00 a.m. :evil:

Seriously, a lovely painting commemorating your trip.

~Nicole

Gilberte
07-18-2004, 04:41 AM
Oh Dear ! you handled that light soooooooo well, in the hair,the neck and the ear and on her shoulder and the nonchalance of greens is perfect.

lein
07-18-2004, 08:42 AM
great use of light and strokes
'd look at the purple part at the down-right-side
wonderful!!! :clap:

jerryW
07-18-2004, 08:58 AM
lisa's nimbus is the dance
the whole thing is the dance

Pucks soul
07-18-2004, 09:12 AM
I know this is going to sound dumb but until someone pointed out the outcropping in front of her I thought she had a book in her hand that she had just closed as if contemplating what she had just read...I guess I let my imagination get the best of me. It is lovely btw and your treatment of light is divine, I am sure Lisa never tires of seeing how you see her, thank you for sharing.

Rabbit Twilight
07-18-2004, 11:56 AM
This just sings with light and color.
I agree about the bench edge, at first glance I thought it was hands, or a book. Of course we at looking at a tiny image via computer.
The glow on the hair is great, as are the colors in the drape.

V-A
07-18-2004, 12:56 PM
Huge contrast in this painting. Awesome.

YLCIA
07-18-2004, 01:07 PM
When the painting showed up on my screen I breathed "WOW! awesome! the colors sing!"

Julia

sugar tree gal
07-18-2004, 03:39 PM
Acrylics, that's me lying beside Nicloe.. Matt this is lovely, your Lisa is a lovely model.. :) Janice

pipicacassosso
07-18-2004, 04:12 PM
While I add my humble voice to the choir of praise singers, I must ask a few questions:
1. Haven't we, and our "art", done and/or achieved anything but a wonderful depiction of light since the days of Monet, Pissaro, Lautrec and Renoir??
2. Is technical ability to convey "real" images and the light they're seen in the ultimate goal of expressing ourselves and making meaningful statements in this day and age - the beginning of the 21st century??
3. Haven't this aspect of art been exhausted yet?? (In music, are we to listen to Mozart, Beethoven and Brahms as though The Beatles, The Rolling Stones and Radiohead never existed??)
4. Don't we consider the early conveyers of real things (and the light they put their subjects in) greater artists exactly when they showed us occasionally that they could go beyond just figure and light and penetrate by visual means the souls of their subjects?? And the ones who stuck to figures and light lessr artists??
Here's a Toulouse-Lautrec with a decent play of light. Is it this play that appeals to our senses?? I don't think so. It is the very penetration of the outer layers of the subject. Note the very "modern" handling of the hand. Had an unknown artist posted it here, many of you would have probably commented that improvement is required there (with the hand, that is).

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jul-2004/24343-lautrec.jpg

jocelynsart
07-18-2004, 05:57 PM
It's gorgeous! That pink shape is confusing to me too; my eye can not figure it out.
Had not read everything when I commented. I personally feel this artist painted something for deep personal reasons as well as deciding to paint what they visually saw and loved. I know I would not be painting if I was trying to "fit" someone elses idea of why I paint or why I should paint. I think artists do what they love, even if others may find it boring or meaningless to them. I see passion in this.
However, the background does compete a bit with the figure for me, upon second glance. Acrylic on paper, if I recall, has the distinct feel of guoache in application. I only have one piece I did in this medium on paper and it is still one of my favs.
Jocelyn

giniaad
07-18-2004, 08:05 PM
your impression of her in this place and light
is exquisit...imho...
I guess the front piece could go...as it is not necessary to the composition
and confusses a bit...drawing attension away from the important aspects
of this wonderful-serene-dream piece.

(pipi...though your words are interesting, I am not quite sure how to read them, or should I say interpret what you are getting at specifically in terms of this piece or how it relates to what was said before you...
you are great with colors...color me a bit confused)

Tamana
07-19-2004, 01:17 AM
I think the painting is lovely; and I picture Hero and Leander; Romeo and Juliet; and all other great loves who have been separated through fate -- I see her sitting quietly upon a bench before the grave of her love in the light of life. I love the illumination of the tombstone signifying the beauty of death and rebirth.

I disagree about it's removal - it is an intricate part of her -- thus the colors extend from her and thusly reflected back onto her. We see the world through her eyes and feel the mourning and yet acceptance of her heart and soul. The stone IS the focal point of Lisa's attention; thus should be ours. What would we focus on without it? The back of her head? The colors of the scene before her? The lovely light upon her hair?

What deep meaning would any of this hold then? It would become ALL technique and no portion of the soul that was bared.

I think what Pipi was asking (and I may be wrong only he can tell) was if it was the light and the colors (as were so many of the comments regarding this painting were directed to) that attracted our hearts and eyes to ooooh and ahhhhh? Or, was it perhaps something deeper inside of her very soul? A mood; an aura; an emotion captured in a moment of time -- that very second before it slides down that chamber of heart to disappear forever.

What makes a moment captured in time so special? Is is the light we remember in our own lives? Is it the color of the day? Or...is it how we felt. There's an old saying that is one of my favorites;

People will forget what you do; people will forget what you say; but people will NEVER forget how you made them feel.

God how true; oh...how true.

A painter, imho, is the very same....
yes; the very same.

Thank you for this beautiful moment in time, Matt; and Pipi, for posing these questions, which in and of themselves are the light and colors of a viewer's mind.

May we never be the same.

Matt Sammekull
07-19-2004, 10:02 AM
Hi Scott!

Beautiful!

All the best,

//Matt

Andrew
07-19-2004, 11:19 AM
This is wonderful. I was quite surprised at its small stature, I expected it to be a bit larger I have to agree to some extent with the comments regarding the bench edge. When viewed in greyscale, the value is fine, but the hue seems to close to that of Lisa's fleshtones. Perhaps a quick glaze over it with a cool earthtone to preserve the value, but eliminate the ambiguity of local color between it and the lovely Lisa's skin.

Andrew

Helen Zapata
07-19-2004, 12:04 PM
She's breathtaking! That nimbus of light around her hair... it's perfect! I don't know that I've ever seen an artist capture it as well.

I sure couldn't figure out that "thing" in front of her.. but now that the others have figured out it's a part of the bench, then I get it. But I don't like it! I say "OFF WITH IT!" :D :D It's very distracting. But if you are determined to keep it, then I would at least hope to see you play it down.

She's lovely. Beautiful work!

Helen

mattlart
07-19-2004, 01:51 PM
Top O' th' Mornin' to Y'all......... :D

Before replying individually to each of you;..I'd like to thank you all collectively for such well thought-out,..and interesting observations,..suggestions, and opinions.

I suspected a mixed reaction to this little painting,..as it was painted in a much more detailed and illustrative style than is my norm,..and, in a different medium,..AND,..on a different surface! :) :eek: ;)

Thank you for stopping by, Anna. I just spent a few moments with your website,..and was very impressed. Nice Work! Cheers,-Scott

Greetings, David...
After a bit of tinkering,..I finally came to a similar conclusion. As this is such a small piece;.last night I decided to eliminate the distracting "extraneous" element to just simplify the image;..hopefully arriving at a more powerful little painting. Thanks for your input. -S

Thank you, Annie. For me,..the look, and feeling of bright, warm sunlight conveys a lovely mood in any painting. That's pretty-much what I was going for here. :) Cheers,-S

Greetings, Kathleen. Yes,..Lisa loves it,..and we BOTH agreed that the front of the bench was distracting;..so it's now gone.I'll attach the reworked version here. Best Wishes,-S

You're a sweetheart, Michael-Ann. :D Thank you so much. Enjoy your day. -S

Thanks so much Dana. I always appreciate your observations. Cheers,-Scott

Agreed, Aselka. The distraction is gone now. If you'd like,..scroll down for the revised version. Best Wishes,-Scott

LOL , Nicole! Yep,..I certainly am fortunate to have such a lovely model.
Painting what I perceive as beautiful and inspiring is what helps to keep me painting. That's why I've never really done a SELF portrait! LOL! Cheers, Eh! :D -Scott

Gilberte;..you always manage to express yourself in a lovely way. The "nonchalance of the greens" tickles me. Thank you,-S

Greetings, Lein,..and Welcome. Thank you for stopping by. Glad you like da purple. :) Cheers,-S

Thank you Jerry. Your comments are as interesting as your paintings. Cheers,-S

Welcome to Wet Canvas Julianna.!
And, I can see a bit of confusion that you had with that part-o'-the painting.
I've eliminated it. Lisa does seem to get a kick out of my painting her. She will be a model for MANY more paintings! Best Wishes to you,-Scott

Glad you like this little piece, Bobbi. YOUR work has become quite an inspiration for me, as well. Cheers,-Scott

I agree, V-A. There's a dramatic contrast here;..and one of the reasons that I chose this photo as reference. This painting is going into a miniatures show,..and in this small format,..impact is ....important. Thanks for dropping by. :) Cheers,-Scott

Thanks Julia! The photo of this painting is pretty accurate. Aside from seeing much more texture,...;it looks pretty much the same "in-person". Best Wishes to you,-S

Thank you, Janice. She certainly is a lovely model. I'm a lucky artist. Best Wishes,-Scott

Glad to have you add your humble opinion, Pipapicasso.
I wonder;....are you posing these questions to me,..in particular;..or to the more general Wet Canvas membership?
And,....since these queries seem to be of a philosophical nature,..would they not best be presented in a discussion or debate forum?
Without attempting to address these subjects here;...; I would only suggest that I see no SPECIFIC technique,..nor choice of subject matter,...nor paint-handling technique;..nor "intrinsic" initial intent at the beginning.(or at any point in the creation of a painting) that merits more "weight" than any other.
I am deeply in love with the woman portrayed here;...certainly,..that is reason enough to have made the choices that I have here, methinks.
Perhaps you may disagree. Could make for interesting conversation over a glass of port or two. Best Wishes to you,-Scott

Greetings, Jocelyn. You seem to understand completely the main reason that I chose this particular subject. Yep,..working with both straight-from-the-tube,..and watered-down acrylic on paper is VERY MUCH like working with guoache. :) Hopefully,..in the attached revised version of the painting,..the background won't appear so distracting. In-person,..it doesn't seem to bother me. Thanks for your comments.Cheers,-Scott

Thank you so much, Gini. A positive critique from you (with your CONSIDERABLE figurative painting skills),...is a delight. :D
The idea here WAS to capture and celebrate the glorious sunlight,......as well as capture a dreamlike moment-in-time,..and a very sweet personal memory.
Thanks for visiting, Gini. Have a great day,-Scott

What an interesting "take" you've expressed on this painting,..Tamana!
I can see your"tombstone" image,....however there really was nothing quite so dramatic here;..simply the front of the bench, lol.
I certainly can appreciate your interpretation of Pipapicasso's question(s).
Hope this doesn't sound too irreverant;....but personally;...I often find amusing the need for any viewer to find deep meaning in every painting.
I suppose that it all goes back to the huge and indecipherable question....."What is Art?" OY.
There is no hidden agenda or meaning here. Just a portrayal of the beautiful woman that I love. :) Thank you for your observations. Best Wishes,-Scott

Hi Matt! Good to hear from you,..and thank you for takin' a peek. Hope all's well. Your buddy,-Scott

I agree, Andrew. After playing with the offending object to integrate it last nite,..; I simply decided to.............................put it out of it's misery. :D
Thanks for your comments. -Scott

Thank you so much, Helen. I simply LOVE painting hair,lol!
Glad you like her. Best Wishes,...Scott

Here's the final version of "Lisa"..................., as well as a photo of the painting in the frame that I built for her yesterday......................:

Golden Kfir
07-19-2004, 02:40 PM
I like your aggressive style. Artiest get have a tendency to paint too tight. I believe tightness can sacrifice color accuracy. Excellent job on the color scheme. The aggressive strokes is what has the color more accurate. That is what separates it from the clones. Excellent work

Helen Zapata
07-19-2004, 03:11 PM
smiling from ear to ear :D

It's perfection now! I love this! And the frame really sets it off as the jewel that it is! I'll click submit and go back to look at it some more.

Helen

SMViolano
07-19-2004, 03:52 PM
I am late on this one- and love the last version! It is different from your other work but it stands perfectly on it's own.

It is the light cascading and dancing through her hair- one could tap her shoulder.....

No self portrait eh? LOL! I recall a very poetic one not long past *Grin!*

woodguy
07-19-2004, 04:54 PM
Excellant, Scott! You have an increbible way with hair. Hey, and the frame isn't too bad either :clap: The liner appears different? Jim

haaf
07-19-2004, 05:50 PM
I can understand that you've painted it this small, it enhances the intimate feel conveyed here. You know light and the play of light.
Caroline ;)

Tamana
07-19-2004, 06:06 PM
What an interesting "take" you've expressed on this painting,..Tamana!
I can see your"tombstone" image,....however there really was nothing quite so dramatic here;..simply the front of the bench, lol.
I certainly can appreciate your interpretation of Pipapicasso's question(s).
Hope this doesn't sound too irreverant;....but personally;...I often find amusing the need for any viewer to find deep meaning in every painting.
I suppose that it all goes back to the huge and indecipherable question....."What is Art?" OY.
There is no hidden agenda or meaning here. Just a portrayal of the beautiful woman that I love. Thank you for your observations. Best Wishes,-Scott

LOL, Scott! I do not think it's irrevereant in the least!! I understand exactly what you are referring to; however, in this case it actually triggered a memory of something I saw in a cemetary once and the contrast (eg: the beauty of the woman (actually dressed in a white-shouldered dress) & day vs. the tomb of the grave) has never left my mind. I mean it seemed like a paradox that didn't want to make sense to the eyes. Your painting simply reminded me of it; and I wanted to share a different light/perspective to validate the many different ways things are seen. I'm not certain it takes me back to the question of what art is; but rather -- how each individual sees it.

The main thing to me was the depth of love emmanating from this: Romeo, Juliet/Hero, Leander/Scott, Lisa....;) You see...it is THIS very thing that separates a painting from a mere technicality, like the questions Pi was posing suggested. The Toulouse-Lautrec's play of light is beautiful, as is yours with Lisa; however, is THAT what we really succumbed to? Or, was it something deeper, like love? I feel it was the latter.

Cheers,

Tam

coulter
07-19-2004, 08:45 PM
Great painting, Scott!!! I suprised no one else thought of this, all this talk about a nimbus of light, hell, nimbus schmimbus, it's a halo !!!! :p :angel: ;)

After all, Lisa's a perfect angel :D (well, the one time I met her she was!)

Mark

mattlart
07-20-2004, 11:35 AM
So glad to see that you understand the essence of this painting,..Tammy. :)
And,...to see that you obviously don't take all of this TOO seriously. ;)
Your observations are well appreciated. Best Wishes,-Scott

Lol,..Mark,...; you certainly are a silver-tongued devil! :evil: :D
Thanks for taking a peek. Cheers,-Scott

painterbear
07-20-2004, 12:04 PM
Another magnificent painting, Scott. I haven't read the other replies so I may be repeating what someone has already said, hope you don't mind listening again while I sing your praises.

You have captured the glow of the sunlit day beautifully in Lisa's lovely hair, and the colors present in the shadowy white garment she is partially wearing. ;)

I like it very much, as I usually do when I see one of your posts.

Sylvia

Rabbit Twilight
07-20-2004, 01:47 PM
Scott,
It was a beautiful painting before you removed the bench post, and it's even more beautiful now! It looks lovely in the frame. Congrats!

mattlart
07-21-2004, 01:19 PM
Thanks so much Sylvia. Lol,...actually;..when I saw the beautiful light glowing in the backyard;..I just threw a blanket around Lisa,...and we ran outside looking for places to take photos of her. It was frantic,..and hysterical. :) Good to hear from you. Best Wishes,-Scott

Glad you like her Bobbi! I'm off to build more frames. Have a great day! -S

Pam B.
07-22-2004, 12:31 AM
What a thread!!!!

Hey Scott this is as lovely piece as you have ever done!!!Her hair is exquisite and as always I love the way you paint the light. Thankyou so much for sharing.

reynolds
07-22-2004, 01:54 AM
oh you!!! it is such a wonderful painting!!! i missed your trip and all!!! dang!!!
where did this lovely pose come from?

artbabe21
07-22-2004, 01:56 AM
This IS so lovely Scott!! I almost missed this!! :crying: Acrylics yet! You always amaze me!! :)

Too much time in other forums...I miss open critiques...:)

Ah......the light! Simply gorgeous...:) You owe me a letter...tag you're it!
love ya, Cath~

pampe
07-22-2004, 12:03 PM
agree with Cath...WONDERFUL!!!

shirleyq
07-22-2004, 01:31 PM
How could anyone possibly add to the comments here! :confused: So here I go .... ;) This one, my friend, is pure perfection in so many ways, color, contrast, light, brushwork and the all important emotive response that it triggers. :clap: :clap: :clap: As always, I look forward to future installments. :clap:
You are on a ROLL!! :D :D

mattlart
07-23-2004, 12:05 PM

shirleyq
07-23-2004, 12:56 PM
? :p

mattlart
07-23-2004, 01:19 PM
Whoops..
Not enough coffee yet! (Back in five minutes............................).
Ok,..that's better!

Greetings to you Pam. Always good to hear from you.
I am pleased with the "glowing light" that comes thru in this little painting.
Thank you for taking the time to comment. Cheers..... :) -Scott

Hi Rennie! Sorry I missed you on this last trip.
There was alot of territory to cover during our alotted time.
I did manage to stop by Grass Valley and Nevada City,..; with a quick swim in the South Yuba near Bridgeport.(beautiful as ever),..but then onto San Francisco,..then up through the wine country, and onto Mendocino where we rented a beautiful rustic home for several days where the photo for this painting was taken.
Lisa has fallen in love with northern California;..and we are considering buying a home there one day. :) Hope all is well with you. Best,-Scott

Hi Cath! :D Yep,..it certainly is my turn to write. I've been pretty lax in that department since tearing up my leg; everything takes so looong to do,..that writing emails has been sadly neglected. Soon. :)
Certainly,..the other forums couldn't be as interesting as this one!
Perhaps you can spend more time now hanging out here......... :cool:
Glad you like this one. More of them to come..............Love, -Scott

Greetings Pam! Thanks for adding your thoughts here. :) Hope all is well with you. Best,-Scott

I always appreciate your comments Shirley!!This painting is certainly tighter than my other 'figures';...but, I think that to keep things interesting;..I'm going to alternate between 'loose' and 'tight' work for awhile.
How are you feeling? Write soon. Best Wishes,-Scott

kleiman421
07-25-2004, 02:00 AM
Great work Scott. Hope to see you and Lisa soon.

pero lane
07-26-2004, 12:46 PM
Scott...just had to jump in here for a quick visit and to say this is just AWESOME work!! Beauty and perfection in every way!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

mattlart
07-28-2004, 11:03 AM
Thanks so much Andy. Lisa and I are planning a New England trip in October.
It'd be great to hook up then.
Also,..I believe that Lisa is due for a mammogram,..and I'm quite sure that I am far overdue for a psa test. :D ;) OY. Your buddy,-Scott

Always great to hear from you Pat. Hope all is well.
Being late July;...I wish you a well air-conditioned studio! ;) Cheers,-Scott

sugar tree gal
07-28-2004, 01:00 PM
Scott, do you have a new web-site, I wanted to show some of your work to my customers.. but couldn't get on your site that is listed on WC Thanks Janice

mattlart
07-28-2004, 01:19 PM
Howdy, Sugar Tree..( what IS your real name? I feel silly calling you simply by your screename.. :confused: :D ).

Thank you for asking about my website. I've just gone and made my homepage "clickable" on my profile. Should you still have problems,..simply go to: www.scottmattlin.com :)

Best Wishes to you,-Scott

Gilberte
07-28-2004, 04:27 PM
Hi Scott,

I got your email with the good news about an hour ago. I replied via the WC system, did you get it ? Haven't done it before so I was wondering .....

Beeeeeeeyouteeeful website !

sugar tree gal
07-28-2004, 07:04 PM
Scott, Thanks for the information.. No my real name is Janice... I grew up in Sugar Tree Holler.. So I was that "Sugar Tree Gal" (Long Lane, Missouri)

mattlart
07-29-2004, 01:54 PM
Gilberte: Got it,..thank you,.....I'll write soon. No "beaucoup tralala". ;) :D -lol. Best Wishes,-Scott

Janice;..I haven't heard the expression "Holler" since last visiting Tennessee. :) I love it. Cheers,-Scott

And,..btw Shirley; thank you also for visiting my updated website. Best,-Scott

sugar tree gal
07-29-2004, 09:43 PM
Scott, Love your site.. have several people who are looking.... Hey, I haven't told anyone I grew up in a Haller..for a long time... it was fun :) Janice

dornberg
08-09-2004, 06:07 PM
luscious play of real and abstract

HalifaxYoungster
08-09-2004, 06:49 PM
Piece is fantastic, I cant think of any bad points, id love to see the original picture, if that is possible. One of the best pieces of Wetcanvas have seen so far. enjoyed commenting. :clap: