PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Auction Question - Need Opinions

Cat66
07-17-2004, 06:59 PM
Ok... I know these are "newbie" beads - but am I shooting myself in the foot starting these at 99 cents? The other auctions I've had, I've started at .99 and been happy with the results, but with these I'm a little worried - I have a lot of time in them and they did really turn out nice - the picture doesn't really do them justice.

I know I still need some practice and could have taken a better picture, but what should the starting price of these have been in your expert opinions? No critiques on the beads please.. LOL - like I said.. I'm still new to this - 45 hours torch time experience, so I know I have a lot more to learn... :)

Here's a link to the auction:

Ebay Auction (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4912609278&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT)

Shawn T.
07-17-2004, 07:06 PM
First off I am going to critique your beads. :evil:
Beautiful! Nice evenly sized. Great dot placement and your flowers are really nice. I love the soothing color combo. Perfect for the up and coming fall season that many jewelry designers will be buying for right now.
Your pic is very nice and clear, but I would like to see more close up shots of the beads. Maybe all the flower beads together in one group Dots in one group, etc. I like the layout and the font.
As for the pricing, that is such a touchy subject. I would have never started a large set like this for .99cents. When I start a large set low (I am new to e-bay) I start it at $17.92. It seem to do well starting it at that price. I have had many people tell me that I should start them at 49.95.
I am hoping that your set goes for at least that much, and much more.
Good luck!
Shawn

Cat66
07-17-2004, 07:12 PM
Thank you. I wish the colors on the photo were more true to the actual beads - which, believe it or not, is perfectly identical to the colors in the Franciscan Desert Rose china. I do love the colors.

I guess I'll sit back and wait and see what happens with the final prices. This may be one of those "learning experiences" I seem to have so often! LOL I guess as a new lampworker I feel I need to "pay my dues" on Ebay and develop a following - rather than jump right in and ask a high price for the beads.

Shawn T.
07-17-2004, 07:15 PM
You also may want to change the last line in your auction.
It reads "All bead properly kiln-annealed"
Should be: beads
But that is the only thing I found that I would change. Oh and I gotta start the bidding. :evil: :angel:
Shawn

Cat66
07-17-2004, 07:20 PM
I noticed that too - about "all bead properly kiln-annealed". Only problem is I noticed after I uploaded it and it's a Photoshop document - so I can't just go in and change it because I've already flattened and merged all the layers. Hopefully people will forgive me for that! :cool:

Helen Simon
07-17-2004, 07:39 PM
I think they're very lovely beads, but I'm partial to flowers, says she that needs to go move her hose to another bed...maybe you might brighten your pix next time to show the color better. I love you font, and everything...charge more, too! Love, Helen

hayjoshrae
07-17-2004, 07:40 PM
I am LOVING your beads..... In fact, I've been bidding on your other set (Leopards). They are just so yummy!! I can't believe you're a "newbie!" Fabulous. And your auctions SHOULD start higher, in my opinion, because your beads are fantastic. But I've have yet to make a decent set of beads (or even ONE) that I feel I could sell.... So, take my opinion with a couple grains of salt!! ;)

I am a newbie - truly a newbie :p - and am in awe of everyone's talents and artistic abilities here on the WC! INCLUDING YOU! :D Keep it up!!

Oh - and I noticed you're from the Phoenix area......

HI NEIGHBOR!!! :clap:

Shawn? You might have some competition on gettin' those beads.... hee hee!!! :evil: :angel:

Beth Myers
07-17-2004, 07:49 PM
Thank you. I wish the colors on the photo were more true to the actual beads - which, believe it or not, is perfectly identical to the colors in the Franciscan Desert Rose china. I do love the colors.

I guess I'll sit back and wait and see what happens with the final prices. This may be one of those "learning experiences" I seem to have so often! LOL I guess as a new lampworker I feel I need to "pay my dues" on Ebay and develop a following - rather than jump right in and ask a high price for the beads.

These are very good first beads.
Are they etched? If so, you should add that in your description.
You can edit your photo shop copy by reopening it and working back through the navigator's layers.
Also, if the beads don't reflect their true color, I would suggest you mention that also. You don't want a buyer to get them home and say, ack, these are not as described. A slight variation won't make that much difference, but if your photo hasn't captured the true color, I'd note it.
I also would use a lighter background for your photos. The black just sinks your beads into a dark hole, and they are lost.
There are several good threads here on WC about photos, photo shop, ebay auctions and pricing. You can find them by doing a search using the small box at the top, right hand side of this page.
Good luck.
Beth

I like that Deseret Rose pattern too!

Shawn T.
07-17-2004, 07:59 PM
The bidding is going up! :evil: :angel:
Shawn

Cat66
07-17-2004, 08:46 PM
I really am having a tough time photographing beads - and my first job is metalsmithing - for months I played around and figured out that silver/gold on black is the best bet for photographing and bringing out the true colors, but it's a whole different story with glass beads. I've tried it on white and it looks too washed out, I've tried photographing on a piece of stone tile, and it looks crappy that way... I guess I'm going to have to take more time and figure out this camera - I've got a Nikon 5700, so it definitely has the capability to take awesome photos... but one almost needs a Masters degree to figure out all the ins and outs of this camera...

Beth Myers
07-17-2004, 09:27 PM
Let me tell you, I AM THE WORST PHOTOGRAPHER EVER!
And so many kind people here have given me the very best advice, yet I still stink.
I think my eyes are just shot....LOL.
And do read up on the threads about photographing glass, there is some really good advice, such as using a neutral gray background, etc....that will help. Your beads deserve to be shown off to their best advantage.
Beth

SReed
07-25-2004, 12:12 AM
WOW! :clap: 30 bids for a first auction! That is great! Unfortunately, since the auction is closed, I can't view your set or description. I, too, am a "newbie" and have not yet posted anything on E-bay. I was wondering, how many beads were in your set? What kind of glass were they? Do you have any more pictures to post?
I am anxious to get a set together, but am in the same dilemma as you were---not sure what they are worth to an E-bayer. I see you started at .99 and did very well, but you may have picked up on the skills faster than I have.

Thanks!
--Sara

Toxey's Treasures
07-25-2004, 02:41 PM
Cat, congrats on your ending price, that is wonderful!!

I am just now reading this thread so I can't see the auction and pictures. I would love to see them and know what colors you used. My grandmother's china is the Desert Rose. She passed away in December, and the china, even though we gave her half of it will go to my aunt. I would love to see how you made beads that look like it.

You did an awesome job with the auction. Hopefully when I feel I am good enough for a dip in the bay I will have good ending prices also.

Cat66
07-25-2004, 02:46 PM
I'm glad they went for that price - I think about $88. Although there were a lot of beads (29), they were simpler designs and really didn't take me too long. So I think the price was justified for the amount of time I spent on them. I used olive greens, ivory, and pink. For the life of me, I can't figure out how to upload a picture on this forum... If anyone can share that info, I'll try to upload it..

Shawn T.
07-25-2004, 03:00 PM
Cat,
scroll down after you hit post, and you will see a button "manage attachments" click on that and then hit "browse" and find your image in what ever file you saved it in. Click on your image and then click the "upload" button. Then close window and next "submit reply" Note the pic size must be less then 500 pixels or it will be to large to load. So you may want to go into your pic and check the size before you try and upload it.
Hope that helps.
Congrats on your auction. Great ending price.
Shawn

Toxey's Treasures
07-25-2004, 03:05 PM
Cat, start a reply, type what you want or leave it blank, scroll down below the reply box to additional options, look for Manage Attachments, click on it. Click on the browse button, it will open to your pictures, or documents whatever. Make sure it is on the My pictures if that is where you have it stored and then search for you picture click or double click it. Click on upload, and it will be put into the post as a thumbnail. Clear as mud, right??

Daphne of Dilluvian
07-26-2004, 03:25 AM
I was disappointed that the auction had closed and I was unable to view your work. I am a newbie as well and am encouraged by your results on the web since I think that this will be my main venue someday if I can get over my dislike of computers. It will be a triumph if I can ever attach a compressed photo.

Daphne