PDA

View Full Version : WIP, Eye placement

Aces and Eights
07-17-2004, 02:21 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/07-17-2004/44822_cameron_herschel.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/07-17-2004/44822_whchar4.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: WIP, Eye placement
Year Created: 2004
Medium: Charcoal
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 9 x 12
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I have placed and replaced the highlight on his right eye and it still doesn't seem right.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I'm wondering if it could be that his overall proportions are slightly off? I digital critique on this one would be very helpful.

Thanks!
Stacey

V-A
07-17-2004, 02:41 PM
Hi!
Here is a quick proportion check. Left is original, middle is your version and on the right is the modified version. Modified has a shorter nose and lifted mouth. I also darkened left side of his right eye.
Hope this helps :)

Aces and Eights
07-17-2004, 05:01 PM
Thanks V-A!!

I actually meant his right eye... (the left eye as the picture faces us).. so that would be the other side of his face than the one you made the adjustments on.. but either way, once I get the proportions in correctly, I think the other eye will be easier...

I wonder if I can make the adjustments you reccommended without messing up the overall look of the charcoal.. or maybe I should start over?

A huge help VA... I'm still fairly new to art.. and I'm stubborn about porportioning things out before I start on a picture (I wish I were good enough just to eyeball it and get it right the first time) .. guess I'm going to have to be more committed to getting the porportions right first...

Thanks again!

eddiespagetti
07-17-2004, 05:09 PM
Face are so dang tough. the human mind is geared to read miniscule differences.

did you mean for him to look up. it seems he is. the eyes seem too prominant-maybe after the hiar is added-without it the brow seems small-despite correct.

overal good work.
Ed

Aces and Eights
07-17-2004, 05:15 PM
Hi Eddie,
Yes, that was another thing that I noticed... he's looking up and really should be looking directly at the viewer.

Faces are tough, but I find it's the only thing I'm really interested in doing... hmm... maybe I should switch to abstract! :D

Aces and Eights
07-17-2004, 05:19 PM
Eddie...

Forgot to mention... I LOVE your 2D fish!

niffer
07-17-2004, 05:19 PM
I think the eyelids are right. I think it is just that the actual eyeballs are too big. Other than that it really looks good.