PDA

View Full Version : Pastel Web Ring......

Dark_Shades
07-17-2004, 01:18 PM
I was thinking of starting a Pastel Web Ring...... (slightly different from having a links page) ..... for anyone who has a web site..... for those who dont, ..... why not :mad: :) ..... get one, make one, they are fun..... easy too .....

Way of driving (hopefully) traffic to your site and others.... and possible sales!!! ..... could be interesting and fun, add a 'counter' to the page... see how many come in .....

If no one is interested, then obviously I wont ...... but hopefully there will be a number of you out there who are....

So, if you are..... just put your name in this thread..... and I will update you as and when and if it takes off lol

.... just a thought, obviously have too much time on my hands :evil:

PS ..... its all FREE!!!

Khadres
07-17-2004, 02:37 PM
I think a webring would be tres cool, actually! I don't have my pastel dedicated site up and running yet, but this might give me the boot in the butt to get it done! Could really be fun and these things can become quite far-reaching. Will we include pastel pencils, etc. as well as SPs and OPs? Hurry up and start layin' yer plans....I'm in! :D

Kathryn Wilson
07-17-2004, 02:41 PM
I'm interested too Dawn - but like Sooz, I need to get a site up and running. I have the web space, just not the actual site developed.

Kat

Dark_Shades
07-17-2004, 04:38 PM
hey come on you two ...... cant believe you havent got a website yet !!! .... get cracking..... :) ..... all your lovely works, and not being able to show them to anyone.... *tsk, *tsk lol

lol, I need someone to join up to see if what Ive got so far is working lololol.... been behind the scenes this last couple of hours sorting things out :)

.... yes as long as its Pastels its fine.... wouldnt it be great for us all to be linked..... and as Sooz says, it has the potential to be far reaching.....

Dont forget..... Spread the word

all in the preliminary stages, so its all basic and rough... but can smooth the rough edges out as we go along.... let me know, if you think anything you see needs changing ... wording etc . ...... I think you can join up already..... :D

Well, you would just need a front page to start.... can put it as under construction.... give them a few of your details.... email contact etc... and gives you space then to post the webcode ..... and we're off n running ....

Join Up to the Pastel Painters WebRing (http://www16.brinkster.com/darkshades/shadesofdawn/WebRing.html)

..... while Ive been working on it, can see that some how lol there has been visitors already hee hee

Kathryn Wilson
07-17-2004, 06:38 PM
I did get my art-agent gallery done last month - progressing along. Just need to find time for hubby to get cracking on the web site - as far as web sites so, I'm illerate.

This looks good so far - so all of us would have a Home page (like yours) with the web ring on that page with links to our web site?

Dark_Shades
07-17-2004, 06:54 PM
I did get my art-agent gallery done last month - progressing along. Just need to find time for hubby to get cracking on the web site - as far as web sites so, I'm illerate.

This looks good so far - so all of us would have a Home page (like yours) with the web ring on that page with links to our web site?

well lol, dont know about 'like mine', but yes a page to post the webring code to, which would be the first page that anyone using the webring would come in on, onto your site ..... and from there can navigate through your website if there are other pages to view, or to carry on using the webring link to go onto other sites ....
from what I can see on the joining up form (its automatic), you fill in your details on the form giving them your website address: url (http://www.) for the page that you have set up for the webring or the one you want it displayed on .., they then give you an automated code that you just copy and paste into that page ..... each code is unique to that member

Kathryn Wilson
07-17-2004, 07:58 PM
Interesting Dawn - I've not been a member of a web ring before, so did not know what all went into it. I think it's an excellent idea!

Dark_Shades
07-17-2004, 08:17 PM
Nor me Kat lol :) ...... have surfed through a few on varying subjects ...... its really great being able to view things that you actually want to see or interested in .......

lets hope it takes off...... lots of views, and potential customers :D

Kitty Wallis
07-17-2004, 11:56 PM
Maybe someday I'll get my website done and can join you in this fine project. As it stands now, my website is on the back burner until we get the Wallis paper site up and running. The Wallis site is half done and looking REAl good. but it's been years in the (not)making. So I'm not promising. :(

jackiesimmonds
07-18-2004, 03:55 AM
I'm in. I think I should do more to promote my website, 'specially as I can now offer people in the UK, Wallis papers. And I want to promote my painting hol to Greece next year, so sooner the better.

www.jackiesimmonds.co.uk

ps did you know that the link which says "join now" is not working yet? Pehaps you do. Silly me.

J

dragonlady
07-18-2004, 05:39 AM
Dawn,

I'll join you as soon as I get a web site up and running (or at least a front page) - where have you heard that before? But I have no excuse as I develop web sites for a living - or is it the old story of 'a plumber in the house and can't get a leaky tap fixed '.

Seriously if any of you want any help/advice with your site please let me know - I'd be happy to help.

Dark_Shades
07-18-2004, 05:41 AM
OMG ... Kitty lol, Im Amazed.... I suppose lol, that you've been too busy selling and teaching to have a website :)

Jackie love to have you aboard...... Oh, it worked when I go into it :confused: ...... would you care to just try this link..... if it works let me know and will put that into my signature.....

Form: to Join Pastel Painters WebRing (http://pub38.bravenet.com/sitering/add.php?usernum=3242216992)

.... sorry guyz, I wont be able to add you as such, as wont know all your details ..... website url etc blah de blah ..... so you need to go into this form and fill in the details yourself.....

perhaps I can try a spoof one and see if it works......

Dark_Shades
07-18-2004, 05:51 AM
ok, lol, Im back, Ive just joined up in the Web ring lolol ..... you have to fill in a few details.....
Name
Email Addy
Website Name
Website Url
Details of what you want to say
Key words
..... Form then gives you a copy and paste code to put into the page that you want the WebRing to be displayed - your form then gets submitted to me lol, the WebRing Master..... If all works well, the form should be there waiting for me to check - and all that means is it will give me the url of your website, and I can check that you have the code listed ......

Dark_Shades
07-18-2004, 05:55 AM
Dawn,

I'll join you as soon as I get a web site up and running (or at least a front page) - where have you heard that before? But I have no excuse as I develop web sites for a living - or is it the old story of 'a plumber in the house and can't get a leaky tap fixed '.

Seriously if any of you want any help/advice with your site please let me know - I'd be happy to help.

We cross posted Dragon....... lolol..... I cant believe how many of you dont have a website ..... Now YOU definately dont have an excuse lololol ..... now get off here, and at least do a page hee heee

Kitty would love to have you aboard, and you to Dragon....... hey would could have a WebRing...... woooooo hooooo

Dark_Shades
07-18-2004, 06:29 AM
The Submission Form is working Fine.....

Khadres
07-18-2004, 07:52 AM
Yah, I got to the form fine....I'll start on mine as soon as I get some sleep and a couple minor chores done! Looks like just the thing to get me online finally. I keep thinking I don't have enough stuff yet, but what the hey...can always add more later.

Has anyone found out if there's a WC! logo thingy people can put on their pages to show they are members of that great place? It would be a wonderful way to promote WC! and the Pastel Forum in particular! I have a similar thing on my old home page for the HTML Writers Guild, for instance. It looks nice and acts as a eyecatching link to the Guild's website, too.

Dark_Shades
07-18-2004, 08:12 AM
yes there is..... hang on, will dig it out for you :)

Good for you Sooz...... yeah, only need a front page, and as you say, you can add things as and when ....

Dark_Shades
07-18-2004, 08:35 AM
:o erm, lol..... was thinking of the Ebay logo .. ha ha....

Doh!!.... suppose the official Wetcanvas logo on each page would suffice lolol

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jul-2004/12116-anlogo.jpg

jackiesimmonds
07-18-2004, 09:16 AM
yes, submission form worked fine this time, the only thing is I havent done the cut and paste thing, because I have a HUGE mental block about loading stuff up to my website. Every time I try, I make a mess of something else, or I have problems with the whole ftp process and I end up screaming at the computer. So, I generally leave this kind of thing to a chap who does it all for me now. Will return in due course the next time Ihave something to add to the website.

J

K Taylor-Green
07-18-2004, 10:53 AM
Dawn, I'd love to be part of this web ring, and I do have a website. But as a fairly new pastelist, about 2 years, it also has works that I have done in other mediums. Is that a problem? My son-in-law designed and maintains it, as I don't know anything about it!! Would love to learn though. My art agent is all pastel, could that work instead of a personal site? Just curious.

M.A.
07-18-2004, 12:28 PM
Thank you for pointing this out. I just signed up and will be updating my site soon.
Best,
M.A.

pastelist
07-18-2004, 01:26 PM
Hi Dark Shades,

Hoping all is well. I would love to join your Pastel Ring. I know you will create a great one. Please keep me posted. Thanks for creating a great idea!
:clap:

Dark_Shades
07-18-2004, 02:04 PM
eeee gods, Ive been a busy boy today lolol... my fingers worked to the bone ha ha

as long as its Pastels all are welcome :D

Ohhhh Mary its you.... lol, recognised your work, but not your real name lolol... now I know you as fun2cook :) ..... got yours too Jackie :)

Ok, have a page..... you can join up from there if you like....
http://www16.brinkster.com/darkshades/shadesofdawn/WebRing.html

this is what the WebRing panel should look like on your page.... if it doesnt, lol you got something wrong...
Where ever you put this WebRing Panel (code), that is where your visitors will first come in on, so bear in mind that page is the first they will view.... so you might not want it jumbled up with alot of other links.... perhaps just set a page up for the WebRing..... and obviously link in your other pages.... keep it clean and easy to navigate.... if the panel isnt shown the WebRing Ends..... as no one can surf on to the next

lol Kate, Ive only been painting two years too :) No, the art agent wont work, as you wont be able to paste the WebRing code into it ... No, problem with other mediums, as long as it should be now, predominately PASTELS :)

ok, hope to see more of you join up...... going to check somethings out

pastelist
07-18-2004, 02:09 PM
Hi Again,
I should have read the section that had the link. I have already signed up!
:clap:

Thanks so much for allowing me to join.

Dark_Shades
07-18-2004, 02:41 PM
Hi Pastellist...... I know lol ;)

for those of you who sign up, if you could pm me that you have the WebRing code in place.... I can come and check it all out, and then release your site into the Ring

We have 4 waiting in the wings already..... wooooooo hoooooo :clap:

Dark_Shades
07-18-2004, 02:44 PM
PS .....
for those of you who dont have websites..... you might want to check out www.Bravenet.com ..... its all FREE, and offers an exceptional amount of Free easy to use tools...... one being Templates for Websites :D

Dark_Shades
07-18-2004, 06:51 PM
lolol, we NOW have a WORKING WebRing ...... wooo hooo

llis
07-18-2004, 08:47 PM
Since WetCanvas is no longer accepting new hosting/website accounts, those of you that are looking for a place to put your site might want to take a look at our new Gold Level Industry Partener - ArtSpan. They come to us with a great reputation and several of our WetCanvas members already have websites at artspan. Gold level IP's help WetCanvas stay on line in a big way. Here is their forum link to visit. http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=172

While in the business forum check out the other companies that have design services and can help with hosting too.

~~

CarlyHardy
07-18-2004, 09:47 PM
Dawn,
when I opened the page to check out your form for joining the webring, I got a pop up ad for spyware. Is this something that would happen if the code for the webring is on my site?

carly

prestonsega
07-19-2004, 12:25 AM
I am happy to see that I am not the only procrastinator in the group when it comes to getting a web page going...Dawn, you may be the motivator that we've been waiting on,,thanks for the web page site link!!

jackiesimmonds
07-19-2004, 03:37 AM
Dawn, did you realise there is all ready a Pastel Web Ring, founded in 1999? I guess it doesn't matter if there are two, but just so you know:

http://u.webring.com/hub?ring=pastels

Jackie

Dark_Shades
07-19-2004, 05:16 AM
surprising what you find when you surf a webring ha ha ha ;) .... yes, I saw that on Pastellist.... blinking cheek! :p :) .....

But, this will be better...... as its 'OURS' :D

Dark_Shades
07-19-2004, 05:19 AM
Dawn,
when I opened the page to check out your form for joining the webring, I got a pop up ad for spyware. Is this something that would happen if the code for the webring is on my site?

carly

Oohhh Carly I have no idea...... I never had a pop up.... so I couldnt tell you ......
you could always add yourself and if it happens...... then unsubscribe if its a problem .....

Has anyone else had this when they filled in the form.....

aurora70
07-19-2004, 09:44 AM
Hi Dawn...I joined the pastel web ring and copied the script and then my pc wouldn't play nice...so I had to revert the drive and I lost the script that I had saved. So I joined the web ring again to get the script and to no avail...so instead of joining the web ring for a third time ...could you send the script to me in a PM or post it here so I can get it on my site....computers drive me nuts sometimes!!

Thanks Dawn,

Monica

aurora70
07-19-2004, 09:57 AM
Okay...I just received the automated email with the code in it...so much for being patient! Anyway, I guess that means you can disregard that last post....

Monica

Dark_Shades
07-19-2004, 11:15 AM
Ok Lol, disregarded......

quite a few joining, which is really nice....... just waiting for the codes to go in place and we will be active :)

Khadres
07-20-2004, 02:11 AM
OK, I've done my bit....just a lead-in page, so far, but geez, it's been so long since I did any web design, it's like starting over almost! Had to figure out where to put stuff and what to call it, all that....yikes.

Lemme know if I did it right! :D

Dark_Shades
07-20-2004, 04:59 AM
OK, I've done my bit....just a lead-in page, so far, but geez, it's been so long since I did any web design, it's like starting over almost! Had to figure out where to put stuff and what to call it, all that....yikes.

Lemme know if I did it right! :D

Perfect Sooz..... well done indeed, am proud of you :) .... all working and Ive already Surfed to your site.... your tree looks wonderful........ now all you have to do is add some more pages and link them :D Oh, and a counter, and also how to contact you ..... and....... and ... ;)

Cheena K
07-20-2004, 05:20 AM
Hi guys!! I would love to make websites/homepage for all of you :) in exchange of soft pastels :D Anyone interested!!!

prestonsega
07-20-2004, 05:34 AM
Hi guys!! I would love to make websites/homepage for all of you :) in exchange of soft pastels :D Anyone interested!!!

Can you be more specific?? I need a web page, and am too lazy to learn to build one. What kind of pastels are you looking for??

Diyart
07-20-2004, 05:48 AM
I knocked down my old website and will come up with a new one
in a couple of weeks. Happily I will join the webring. I regret very much that we haven`t got any pastel society here in Germany at all !!!
Martin

Cheena K
07-20-2004, 06:17 AM
Can you be more specific?? I need a web page, and am too lazy to learn to build one. What kind of pastels are you looking for??

Hi! It's Impossible to get soft pastels here in India...I have been trying to buy some online but turns out quite expensive...I would like to use my talent/services to support my desire to paint :)

Let's Talk!

Thanks!

Slow-Motion
07-20-2004, 08:12 AM
I'm in. This is the first time I have done this type of thing. It will be interesting to see how it all works.

Dark_Shades
07-20-2004, 09:35 AM
Just a quickie.....

Ive been informed that this freeware WebRing may or may not be sending PopUp adverts to your websites...... so you may not want to join, or even unsubscribe..... its entirely up to you, its all Free, so thought would just let be aware .....

I have a pop up blocker from www.panicware.com ...... but this wouldnt obviously stop pops ups for visitors to your website if this happening...

The choice is yours :D

JohnnyRed
07-20-2004, 06:48 PM
This is a great idea! Not only am I up for it on my site, but I've done it!!

Hope my site passes muster LOL!!

Thanks for letting me know about it, Dawn :)

If anyone out there is stuck for a website and need help, then just let me know.

judwal
07-20-2004, 09:54 PM
I'd be interested if I had a web site. I need help getting one up and running.

M.A.
07-20-2004, 10:48 PM
I updated my website tonight but ran into some trouble with the script. Hopefully will be able to get it sorted out. I checked out the webring, it is looking great, btw! Nice to see everyone linked like that.

Khadres
07-20-2004, 11:10 PM
I'd be interested if I had a web site. I need help getting one up and running.

I'd be happy to help you with that, should you decide to take part in this. PM me with your ideas, etc. and we can get to workin' on it!

meowmeow
07-21-2004, 01:00 PM
I am not using a pop up blocker at all and have checked and have not gotten any pop ups when I go through the web ring so I don't think it is an issue. Then again, I am no expert and it could be that some people do get pop ups. But I checked a couple of times and had no problem.

:)

Sandy

Mary Robinson
07-21-2004, 01:51 PM
I'm in, my website is up, though I work in more than one medium, I do have the pages divided by medium, so would be easy to just link to the pastel page.

Mary

Dark_Shades
07-21-2004, 07:44 PM
I knocked down my old website and will come up with a new one
in a couple of weeks. Happily I will join the webring. I regret very much that we haven`t got any pastel society here in Germany at all !!!
Martin

Look forward to you joining us Martin ...... and anyone else.....

really nice seeing everyone being so industrious lol ..... its all coming along nicely, new members joining up all the time..... still got about 7 pending to correct their codes/pages so that they are visible on their websites.... then they can be released in

Diyart
07-22-2004, 12:00 PM
Look forward to you joining us Martin ...... and anyone else.....

really nice seeing everyone being so industrious lol ..... its all coming along nicely, new members joining up all the time..... still got about 7 pending to correct their codes/pages so that they are visible on their websites.... then they can be released in

I managed today to put up a site with the glorious microsoft publisher..al a bit slow..I hope viewers will have enough patience.

Martin

Dark_Shades
07-22-2004, 06:10 PM
I managed today to put up a site with the glorious microsoft publisher..al a bit slow..I hope viewers will have enough patience.

Martin

Hi Martin, glad you joined up ...... perhaps you could add a note to your site that the images take awhile to load..... would hate anyone to miss your fine work ...... Ive been and had a look :) .... and it does at first appear there are no images :eek: ..... but then they eventually appear :)

pastelist
07-22-2004, 08:31 PM
Congratulations Dark_Shades, you have sparked an interest, that has ignited a fire. Good Luck with your web ring.

Stoy Jones
07-22-2004, 09:00 PM
Congratulations Dark_Shades, you have sparked an interest, that has ignited a fire. Good Luck with your web ring.

Yup, opened this thread to see how's it going and got "burned" :D Dawn, I'll sign up when I do a little retooling and make sure I get the correct webpage address as that might change...might be a little time...slow as a herd of turtles perhaps, but I'll get there :rolleyes:

Stoy

Diyart
07-23-2004, 03:19 AM
Hi Martin, glad you joined up ...... perhaps you could add a note to your site that the images take awhile to load..... would hate anyone to miss your fine work ...... Ive been and had a look :) .... and it does at first appear there are no images :eek: ..... but then they eventually appear :)

Thank you for your feedback.. I thought that effect is only on my PC.
It seems to be a result of the publisher method,which creates crazy htm codes.

Martin

Dark_Shades
07-23-2004, 08:28 AM
Thank you Pastellist ....... look forward to seeing you there (eventually) then Stoy lolol ... we will try and wait for you :)

Hi Martin....... www.bravenet.com do free webpage templates...... dont know what they are like, but perhaps may help you

just a thought

Diyart
07-23-2004, 09:02 AM
Thank you Pastellist ....... look forward to seeing you there (eventually) then Stoy lolol ... we will try and wait for you :)

Hi Martin....... www.bravenet.com do free webpage templates...... dont know what they are like, but perhaps may help you

just a thought

I am grateful for help on easy and fast website construction.
I lost my adobe go live on an old Windows 2000 laptop. I will revise the site
sooner or later to make it quicker somehow.

I hope the webring might develop stronger ties also between members
and will be helpful for all our future development as creative people.

Thank you very much for starting this thing !

Martin

E-J
07-23-2004, 10:40 AM
Cool! I've just signed up! :clap:

Dark_Shades
07-23-2004, 01:13 PM
I am grateful for help on easy and fast website construction.
I lost my adobe go live on an old Windows 2000 laptop. I will revise the site
sooner or later to make it quicker somehow.

I hope the webring might develop stronger ties also between members
and will be helpful for all our future development as creative people.

Thank you very much for starting this thing !

Martin

yes, so do I Martin :) ...... I see you have already updated.... looks good.....

If anyone has any ideas .......to improve...... any suggestions.... thoughts.... ..... what about a better name? ...... any problems? ...... dont forget this is OUR webring..... not mine ....
we are all new to it, and fumbling around :) ...... will work out how to put a link to WC too ...... it already shows you are all getting visitors :clap: ..... and they aren't just me :D

We currently now have 10 active members in the Ring...... EJ being the newest..... woooo hooooooo Glad you signed up EJ :D lolol, have already been in and had a look around (again!! lol) ..... and a further 10 pending whilst they sort out their pages/codes etc

LorraineG
07-24-2004, 10:03 AM
Hi, I would love to join if thats ok. I have a website.

Dark_Shades
07-24-2004, 11:51 AM
wonderful Lorraine, would love to have you join........ just fill in details on the submission form...... follow the link in my signature (if not already signed up) ..... copy and paste the code you are given into your website ..... page that your desire...... (where ever the code is posted to, thats were visitors will come in on) ...... Once the WebRing Code Panel is visible, I will release your site into the ring...... Voila!! easy peasy :)

If any probs.... email.... pm .... or respond in here, which ever is easiest....... lol, if you've already got this far, will go and check.....