PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Cougar re-made

jyvonne
07-16-2004, 08:09 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/07-16-2004/43486_flipped.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/07-16-2004/43486_july2004_531.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/07-16-2004/43486_july_2004_004.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Mountain Cougar re-made
Year Created: 2004
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 11
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Well, here it goes. I submitted my mountain cougar a few days ago for some suggestions. I was totally frustrated by this poor animal at that point.

After reading your helpful replies, I re-did the fur: focusing on depth and painting "fur"- not "hair".

By the way... I still haven't put on the whiskers. I always wait to do that at the end.

I'm posting the photo, first attempt, and the re-worked piece here.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Before I put on those whiskers and finish my work, I wonder... is there anything in this picture that jumps out at you as needing change that my inexperienced eye may be missing?

giniaad
07-16-2004, 08:33 PM
you are on your way...
there are some lines you need to check
(have you ever heard "can't see the forest for the trees"?
we all look at our work so long...we need other eyes...
it's ok)

lines I see...to check...off the bat...
*OUR right ear...the tip/top higher, a touch,
and angled to his forward...(he is listening forward)
*the line above OUR right eye
lower (above the pupil) AND angled in/down the nose
*the chin line...hard to discribe...just study it's curves
and how it relates to the upper lip curves and neck

check your depth of colors and highlights in general...make it pop!

your textures of body fur are going wonderfully...

last note to your made up back ground...the uniform pine could change.

keep going...have fun...find the "zone"!

jyvonne
07-16-2004, 09:34 PM
Thank you Giniadd,
Yes, I can see mostly what you are pointing out. The chin basically, now that I look at it, looks more of the contour of a board than of an animal! You're right... I need to curve and shade it a bit better. And I need to layer in some other coloring on the top of the head to tone down the "measles look"! LOL

As for the trees. I was just thinking about their cookie-cutter likeness. Actually, I am a very new painter and have never done a pine tree before, but I think I need to somehow put some individuality in them. Afterall, in a real wilderness, it is not like all the trees grow looking like they are competing for the "best Christmas tree" contest. There is quite a bit more variety in the real world! :)

I will print out your list and go for it.

Thank you for lending me your eyes!

jyvonne

jyvonne
07-16-2004, 09:41 PM
Thank you Giniadd,
Yes, I can see mostly what you are pointing out. The chin basically, now that I look at it, looks more of the contour of a board than of an animal! You're right... I need to curve and shade it a bit better. And I need to layer in some other coloring on the top of the head to tone down the "measles look"! LOL

As for the trees. I was just thinking about their cookie-cutter likeness. Actually, I am a very new painter and have never done a pine tree before, but I think I need to somehow put some individuality in them. Afterall, in a real wilderness, it is not like all the trees grow looking like they are competing for the "best Christmas tree" contest. There is quite a bit more variety in the real world! :)

I will print out your list and go for it.

Thank you for lending me your eyes!

jyvonne

SMViolano
07-16-2004, 11:09 PM
Giniaad said it all so I am just here to encourage you-

This is going to be magnificent when done!

cotopaxi_annie
07-17-2004, 01:16 AM
Everyone has beat me to any comments that I might have given. Just want to say that I think that you have greatly improved your painting. Very Much Better. The "fur" looks much more like fur than "hair" now and the overall look is much better. I must admit that I like your trees even if they do win the "Perfect Christmas Tree Contest". We lived in Colorado for ten years and they were all perfect to me. After all, isn't our painting suppose to improve on realism? Or at least bring more to the painting than is there in a photo?

Annie :clap: :clap:

jyvonne
07-17-2004, 10:01 AM
Thank you Annie, for your encouraging words.

Right now I am busy refashioning the jaw, eye, and ear... but you know, I just can't bring myself to redo the background. I guess I am afraid I will mess it up beyond repair. I really did ponder if I could insert a dead tree here or there, or a spindly old pine... but I couldn't make it work. So I think after I get the cougar finally the way I like it, I will leave the background and focus on more variety in my next mountain painting.

Meanwhile, I am so grateful to everyone who is helping me along and encouraging me. I am now looking at this jaw as a study in curves, and am looking forward to seeing it transformed.

I wonder if I will ever really finish this piece??? Well, it has been a great learning tool and every hour I spend on this painting will teach me techniques for paintings ahead.

Thanks again for your comments with my first try and now with this one, too.

jyvonne

jyvonne
07-17-2004, 10:08 AM
Thank you Annie, for your encouraging words.

Right now I am busy refashioning the jaw, eye, and ear... but you know, I just can't bring myself to redo the background. I guess I am afraid I will mess it up beyond repair. I really did ponder if I could insert a dead tree here or there, or a spindly old pine... but I couldn't make it work. So I think after I get the cougar finally the way I like it, I will leave the background and focus on more variety in my next mountain painting.

Meanwhile, I am so grateful to everyone who is helping me along and encouraging me. I am now looking at this jaw as a study in curves, and am looking forward to seeing it transformed.

I wonder if I will ever really finish this piece??? Well, it has been a great learning tool and every hour I spend on this painting will teach me techniques for paintings ahead.

Thanks again for your comments with my first try and now with this one, too.

jyvonne

V-A
07-17-2004, 10:54 AM
Hi Jyvonne!

I see that your painting has improved a lot allready.
Althoug background is beautifully painted and all.. I feel that it has too great contrast, because of that eye is focused in there rather than in the animal. But maybe its just me being silly. Fur of the cougar is looking really sweet!
Keep up the good work :)