PDA

View Full Version : Stonehenge Paper

KhrisArt
07-16-2004, 03:50 PM
I just read Carly's method of underpainting pastels with rubbing alcohol. Has anyone tried that technique on Stonehenge paper or Mi Teintes?

CarlyHardy
07-18-2004, 08:23 PM
I haven't used the Stonehenge paper before, but a friend of mine applies gesso to the front and back of it and paints oils or acrylics on it. You could always take a small sample and try the alcohol to see if it cause a lot of buckling. If so, I wouldn't use it with this technique. But if you applied a textured ground to the paper, you could use the underpainting because the ground protects the paper from moisture. If you're trying to save money however, the expense of the paper plus the expense of the pastel ground might equal more than just purchasing sanded paper to begin with.

MiTientes does not take water or moisture of any type without a lot of buckling and since its already toned a color, you wouldn't need to use an underpainting.

I always test a paper's surface before trying an experiment with an actual painting. You could do a lot of work on a painting only to have it ruined with the application of a liquid which did not react well with the surface.

carly