PDA

View Full Version : Cesare Toffolo Venetian Goblet Making Class!

kwstudios
07-16-2004, 11:15 AM
Hey Beaders,

Last week I took a Venetian style goblet making class at the Corning Museum of Glass. The goblets are blown from boro tubing and the stems are all cane and sculpting. I had never done that before, and I must say that it was quite difficult. The projects in the class required a lot of technical ability with boro tubing and pulling points. Every day there were at least 4 hours of demonstrations.

Cesare Toffolo is from Murano and he comes from a family of glass blowers. He is definitely the goblet glass master.

Here's two of my tiny goblets for you to see. Also, here are 4 of Cesare's goblets. They are unbelievable.

Karen

DebbieSue
07-16-2004, 11:21 AM
Absolutely beautiful! Can that be done with just a torch, no other special equipment? I would love to be able to make something like that someday...sigh... :clap: :clap: :clap:

Debbie

bluetigersue
07-16-2004, 11:41 AM
:clap:
Karen,
Those are very nice! I am impressed with the detail and symmetry.
Sue

Diane S.
07-16-2004, 06:27 PM
:clap: :clap: Those are beautiful. So elegant & sleek at the same time.You did a wonderful job I can only imagine how difficult that could be

KTO
07-16-2004, 07:35 PM
I had a chance to watch Cesare work a few years ago...WOW...he is truly a master glass worker. I see the plates in the background of the photo...I loved watching him make those. Looks like you took a lot away from the class your pieces are impressive.

I imagine you will cherish the memories of your class as much as I cherish mine.

DebbieSue
07-17-2004, 12:01 PM
Are your tiny goblets made of soft or hard glass?

Debbie

kwstudios
07-18-2004, 01:03 PM
All of the goblet work is done with borosilicate glass on a Carlslile or a Bethlehem or any other big torch. This type of glass doesn't move as well as the soft stuff and so it takes a lot longer with a lot more heat. You end up getting very overheated over a few hours and you have to keep hydrated. It is hark work compared to beadmaking!

Karen

saucy
07-18-2004, 02:16 PM
Wow. I love your goblets and I bet you came home with a wealth of knowledge. His pieces are TDF. How was the class overall?

kwstudios
07-19-2004, 12:50 AM
Hmmmm, how was the class overall? If you are a boro worker and have a lot of experience with blowing forms from tubing, then it is good. If not, then it is just way over the top in difficulty level. Cesare is a glass master, however, his demonstrations have no verbal explanation. He works in silence with minimal talking. I learn best with the visual and spoken word plus taking notes, so it was difficult for me to have to sit in silence (he likes it to be quiet as he works) with the rest of the class for many hours at a time. He gives an outstanding visual beyond most people on the planet, and I have 16 hours of video. I'd say the class was OK, and not a good idea for soft glass people. That's my honest opinion!

Karen