PDA

View Full Version : Faber Cove

Lorijo
07-15-2004, 03:00 PM
Hi Everybody!

I have been mostly hanging out in Plein Air, but this one fits here. Its from a photo I took while boating in this cove. How do you like it? Bottom one is a detail. Its 8 x 10, oil, knife, no brush at all. Lorijo

Marty C
07-15-2004, 07:17 PM
Hi Lorijo,
Nice to see your work again!
This is a beauty, wonderful water and sky, and I'm amazed at the detail you can suggest in the boats and background, you are really mastering that knife. The texture pops on the closeup, marvelous work.

Lorijo
07-15-2004, 08:10 PM
Thanks so much Marty! Lorijo

Bobbo
07-16-2004, 06:33 AM
excellent
like the long format
the boats look great
nice sense of light
i can feel the gentle movement

Diane Cutter
07-16-2004, 07:22 AM
Love the composition... wish I could be nearly as successful with a knife. The reflections are great... Do more, please!!

Diane

Lorijo
07-16-2004, 07:56 AM
Thanks so much Rob and Diane!

Diane I checked out your website, looks like you do just fine with a linoleum knife, I loved the fish prints. Lorijo

Lady Carol
07-18-2004, 12:25 AM
No brush :eek:

The colours are so fresh, which I suspect is from the lack of a brush.

Good job

gnu
07-18-2004, 01:35 AM
YEAH!! another knife person! I LOVE using a knife..esp great work in that water...maybe we could swap tips!
LOVe that sky and also the reflections...beautiful work.. :clap: :clap:

Lorijo
07-18-2004, 11:12 AM
Thanks Carol and Gil. Carol the color is partly from using the knife, you wipe off the old color and it is totally gone, with a brush, if you don't wash it, there is a tiny bit of color left. Can make some mud. Also partly my limited palette I have been playing with lately, its only titanium white, alizarin crimsom, lemon yellow and ultramarine blue.

Gil, glad to share tips, my reflection tip is to pull straight down whatever color is on top the water and then saw back and forth through it. I made the mast and palm trunk reflections with wiggley strokes using the tip of the knife. Lorijo

Diane Cutter
07-18-2004, 11:22 AM
Also partly my limited palette I have been playing with lately, its only titanium white, alizarin crimsom, lemon yellow and ultramarine blue.
I've also been enjoying a limited palette with my oils and watercolors. I guess that comes from a printmaking background. My red is a quin. magenta and the yellow is a quin. gold. I find it helps keep the color under control by mixing from those few colors rather than introducing a new one that I've got to deal with.

Diane

PS Thanks for the kind words on the fish.

Lorijo
07-18-2004, 02:11 PM
I have been wanting to try the quin. magenta with the limited palette too, quin gold sounds interesting, I am not familiar with that. Lorijo

brrice
07-18-2004, 04:57 PM
This is amazing, I love your work and this one is so well done. You make me want to start painting with a knife too. You have very good control with that knife, Your skill is very obvious. The texture gives it so much life.

Yax
07-18-2004, 06:27 PM
Soooooooo very nice. Yax

Lorijo
07-18-2004, 08:35 PM
Thanks so much Brian and Yax! Lorijo