PDA

View Full Version : Said Abdullah

CanOBeans
07-15-2004, 02:11 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/07-15-2004/28747_said-abdullah-wip.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Said Abdullah
Year Created: 2004
Medium: Charcoal
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 13x17
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
From a bronze sculpture by Charles Cordier. Done from a very poor photo reference -- I snapped one picture before the guard pointed out the "no pictures" sign. Oops. Willow charcoal on Canson Mi-Teintes (greenish-gray). I may return to this subject with another medium and/or support.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Debating whether to finish the robes in as much detail as the face or to call it basically done.

Any C&C welcome.

Gilberte
07-15-2004, 03:12 PM
Well, you could go both ways but as it is now all the attention is drawn to the face and personally I like it.
I admire your charcoal drawing ...

angela
07-15-2004, 04:40 PM
This is amazing! I would call it done! As Gilberte said, i like the attention being drawn to the face without having all the details in the robe! Great work!

eddiespagetti
07-15-2004, 06:50 PM
Very Nice.
good contrasts. Overall strong piece.

CC: I'm struck by the shiney feel of the highlights which is unrealistic for flesh but for a bronze...? what where you going for? For flesh I'd say less shine.

Slightly more detail in the robes would balance a bit- still unfinished though.
It go's from well done to crayon drawing too starkly IMHO.

Very sellable.

sincerely,
eddy

NHyde
07-16-2004, 02:20 AM
I'm Gilberte's echo...echo...echo...

Please post more...more...more... :)

Cheers eh,
Nicole

TScottDove
07-16-2004, 02:45 AM
i like it as is, as the "unfinished" quality of some of the line reminds us it is a drawing. powerful piece

CanOBeans
07-16-2004, 09:11 AM
Gilberte -- thank you -- I had intended to make the whole piece very finished but at this point I keeping taking it out to work on, looking, looking, and putting it away again...

Angela -- many thanks -- there wouldn't be all that much detail in the robes even if I worked them more as they are very plain in the sculpture

eddiespagetti -- like your user name, LOL -- thank you for commenting. Yep, the highlights are shiny like the bronze -- don't know if I will do more to the robes but am mulling over your comments, perhaps a less abrupt transition... nice to know it might be "sellable" although this will definitely remain in my possession. :)

Nicole, thank you you you... ;)

TScott, thanks -- all the power I attribute to the original sculpture, which just about knocked me over when I saw it!

tree519
07-16-2004, 09:18 AM
A really srong drawing for sure. I think you should leave the bottom loose and gestural as it is. I often find that works that are overly "finished" or polished can be quite generic or sterile. Leave a bit of the drawing process visible for the viewer.

Tree

eddiespagetti
07-17-2004, 09:17 AM
I definately get the bronze feel in the beard area.
Keep up the great work
Ed

jerryW
07-18-2004, 09:07 AM
the copper tool shock of 3-d relief in part makes this a good mind twist as well as a nice painting/drawing

lein
07-18-2004, 10:23 AM
i'd keep it like this the gestures are very beautiful
maybe tone down the big higlight on the cheek
a little

wow!

krispee
07-18-2004, 03:28 PM
nice work dude......just shows what even poor reference can still lead to.....
done and dusted i`d say

krispee

giniaad
07-18-2004, 08:55 PM
I'd call it done...beautifully done...

"all the power I attribute to the original sculpture, which just about knocked me over when I saw it!"

and your reaction shows through your work here...which makes it all the more excellent...it knocks me over too...