PDA

View Full Version : I just got a call from art-exchange.com

claudine
10-05-2001, 11:18 AM
Hi guys

I just got a call at my work from a representive of http://art-exchange.com/index.cfm

Anyone know of this? Anyone here work with them?

She told me that they are a company that does direct sales od original paintings, prints and sculpture to decorators and galleries etc. They take 10% commission and then they have a listing fee of $20 per image.

She seemed very nice, and the site seems like it might actually be a legit service. But I am so wary of scams. I'm actually so scam paranoid that it takes me forever to decide whether or not soemthing is legit.

I would like your thoughts or experiences with this company.

thanks for your help!
~Claudine

timelady
10-05-2001, 05:04 PM
Hmmm. they also have a $100 set up fee according to their site. So $100, plus $20 per image, plus 10% commission. I wouldn't pay for it personally, but I don't know the company.

Tina.

arteitaliana
10-05-2001, 09:12 PM
Don't fall for it Claudine. I also got a call few month back. If you do a search on WC you may find the thread where I asked axactly what you are asking now. They are very nice but very insistent.They charge you to represent your art.
They will ask you for a minimum of 25 images and charge you $500 for it. It's a scam. No reputable agent will ask for money up front.
Sorry to burst you bubble.....
:crying:

claudine
10-06-2001, 01:23 PM
thanks guys! I had feeling there was a catch!
I'm very wary of scams and schemes and I thought they sounded too good to be legit.

Plus I thought it was weird that they called me at work. They must have done some research to find my work number. I don't have that posted anywhere.

thanks again!
~Claudine

jhusel
10-08-2001, 10:52 AM
Hey Claudine, I have been contacted by them alot actually. They are very nice and pretty persistent. If you will "haggle" with them long enough you can get them to 'make you a deal'. They offered to cut down the price and number of pieces to something like: $100 for 15 pieces.

I don't know if this is a normal thing they do but they have been known to do it. The bad thing to me is once I sell one, I can't replace the image of the one just sold. I have to buy yet another slot for $25. I guess you could just mark up your piece 10% + $25 and make that your price.

I have been thinking about doing it, but I can't make up my mind.

Jason

artwoman1
10-08-2001, 09:15 PM
I just got a call from them too. They went through the list of artists for the Chicago Art Open (caconline.org). I am very skeptical. Artists with a large reputation pay nothing for a posted image. Us unknowns are footing the bill with our fees. I also asked for a list of references from other artists. They sent me a list of fiveó3 publishers, 1 artist, and artist's agent. No e-mail addresses.Just phone addresses and phone #s. I have asked for another of just independent artist only, So far no reply.

jhusel
10-08-2001, 09:47 PM
They told me that they were going to be at the Decor Art Market in Atlanta this past month, but it was cancelled due to the September 11th tradegy. I was really looking forward to checking them out. They talk a big game, but so did my last "agent" and I would never deal with him [email protected]#!%@#

:D

jhusel

arteitaliana
10-08-2001, 10:31 PM
Whae people are so persistent...I always smell a rat. They mostly sell prints of famous artists.
Let's face it: if your art is good and marketable, you don't need them, if your work on the other hand is not so marketable ...they will not do anything for you other than pocket some of your money.

Sumafra
10-08-2001, 10:36 PM
I think the important thing here is 'what do you get for your money?' Is this just a listing service? Are they making money from artists paying listing fees? Do they advertise their site and will they bring buyers to you? The bottom line is always, will it get you sales? It's very nice to be listed but will it pay off? there are many places on the net where you can list your paintings for free. For the most part, you don't get sales from them. Is this one different? I kind of doubt it. It would be interesting to hear from someone who actually has dealt with them for a while.:confused:

pixelscapes
10-11-2001, 12:16 PM
As usual, I gotta say -- if they were really focused on actually selling your artwork, then they would make their money from selling your artwork. ;) (Like art-agent.com)

I would never pay a "listing fee" to a random online place like that. Sure you could mark up your prices by 10% + $25... BUT, they would still HAVE your $25, and it may be that that's all they were really looking for.

Just find a real gallery that will take your work, and they'll sell on commission ONLY. I would rather have a gallery take 25% or even 50% if I knew they were actually focused on getting my work out to art collectors, anyway. And you still might make the same net amount, since galleries can charge more... and they can charge more because (big surprise!) galleries are more reputable than these other online venues. Imagine that. :)

-=- Jen "Suspicious" de la Cruz

leesmith
10-12-2001, 10:35 AM
These people must be desperate... I got a call this morning, on the caller id box 501 624 1044 but she left an 800 number for me to call back which I didn't.:D

I'm not paying anybody to post images. It might be OK if they actively promoted your art. IF they could furnish details and references of sales directly related to their involvement.

jhusel
10-12-2001, 11:03 AM
The last time they called me and put on their "sales" pitch, I asked him to put his money where his mouth was (in a nice way).

After listening to how fast he could move my work and how much money I could make from them, I said:

"I'll tell you what I'll do! Instead of paying you the money up front for you to post my work, why don't you post them and once a piece sells you can take the $150 out of my check?"

Needless to say, he couldn't do that. So if he is not confident in their sales, why would he expect me to be? :rolleyes:

jhusel

Sumafra
10-12-2001, 11:29 PM
Great answer, JHusel. That put him back in his place. Wish I'd thought of it.
;)

vallarta
10-13-2001, 05:55 PM
I'll make you a better deal for you.

Send me $100 or your first born...whatever comes sooner....and I will advertise your work (without further cost) in an Afgahan paper.

So is it my fault it got hit with a bomb???????

hehehe
vallarta

There is always a guy willing to pick your pocket....so why bother with him...pick your own pocket and save the difference.

Rainy
11-10-2001, 07:47 PM
Well, call me stupid, call me dumb, but I decided to give it a try. They offered to set it up and put the immages on the site, 10 images for $150. No other fees unless there's a sale, then 10%. From the sounds of what you all have had to say, if they go after the art buyers as hard as they have the artist's maybe it won't be all bad. Meanwhile I could loose 100 bucks. I just hope nothing screwey happens with my credit card number. The poor just get poorer I guess. Well, I'll let you know how it goes.

shelewis
11-15-2001, 11:35 AM
Well, Rainy, I guess I'm joining you in the stupid dumb category. I also went ahead and listed with them, 5 pieces for $100 with $25 payments every month for 4 months. Can't hurt to give it a try. Maybe they will actually sell something.
I agree about the free listings being better, but I've had my work on several "free" sites and haven't sold a thing. Maybe paying for the listings and their supposed advertising will make it work. I guess if I'm out $100, oh well, should we really expect to get something for nothing? I'll claim it as an advertising cost anyway.

Paula:)

ragipe
09-12-2006, 04:50 PM
Claudine: Allow me to introduce myself, Richard Gipe, President of art-exchange. I happened to find this blog today and found reading through the thread interesting though flawed.

My company, art-exchange, has been around since 2000 as the premier business-to-business website for fine art. 10,000 artists have paid to list 100,000 works on our site which serves as a business solution for busy designers and for art dealers.

Paying to list works on a website seems to be a "hot topic" among artists so please allow me to weigh in. As I see it artists have 3 Choices with respect to the internet; i. They can ignore the internet over which 2 billion people follow their passions (doesn't seem too smart); ii. They can build a website (costing time and money); or iii. They can list works on large community sites where there is a cost but only monetary, not time or not much time.

We believe option iii. is the best option because if you can't show up on the first few pages of the search engines noone can find you thus your website is the proverbial needle in a haystack.

Hundreds of artists have sold works through art-exchange. Thousands of artists have paid to list. That is just the way advertising works, you have to do it but there are no guarantees. Compare listing works on art-exchange to attending art fairs, the ArtExpo, NeoCon, or print advertising...all cost money, not all produce results.

Remember, sales activity preceeds sales. We conduct sales activity on behalf of our listed artists and we produce sales for some not all.

D. Phoinix Porter
09-12-2006, 05:37 PM
For $500 you'd better get a lot more that a PHP site template with some internal search function thrown in, coupled with SEO thatís marketed primarily for the resale market. And having looked at the site - it seems like a bad deal to me.

Yes, all promotional activities cost money - but not all cost $500. And not all, want that cash up-front without any guarantees. Promotional activities are not created equal.

Also, legit services and businesses do not need to resort to "hard-sell" tactics. Businessís that deliver what they promise have a good product and know that conventional advertising and word-of-mouth will deliver more business than insistent phone calls.

-Phoinix

ABU Listings (http://www.artbyus.com/auctions.php?a=6&b=3106)

shelewis
09-12-2006, 06:04 PM
I have to reply to this reply from Art Exchange! I spent my $100 years ago and never saw ANY return from my listings.

If you really want to make sales, try Etsy.com. This is a great site that only charges .10 cents per listing and I have made 16 sales in two months!

Plus, there are MANY ways to sell online for free! Art Exchange and sites like them make their money by charging artists fees. They don't care if we actually make sales! Don't fall for it!

Paula :)

snoball
09-12-2006, 06:15 PM
10,000 artists have paid to list 100,000........................
Hundreds of artists have sold works through art-exchange. Thousands of artists have paid to list.

andymathis
09-12-2006, 06:32 PM
I paid years ago, too. They called me not too long ago wanting me to pay another $700 (I think) to advertise on their TV screens at the NeoCon show.

Paintbrush74
09-12-2006, 08:27 PM
10,000 artists have paid to list 100,000........................
Hundreds of artists have sold works through art-exchange. Thousands of artists have paid to list.

Hmm...good point.

jocelynsart
09-13-2006, 08:36 AM
They called me several times about 2 to 3 yrs ago. I have no idea where they got my # or name. They were quite insistent and downright snippy near the end, despite my "no" answers. The last call I was hung up on right after saying no to the woman. They have not called in a long time. This is my experience with it.
Recently, I was told by a web site builder computer guy that no one need pay to have their site anywhere. Exchanging links was the best way to move your site into good ranking on search engines. He said that it was a waste of $$$ to pay any site hundreds to host your site. Now, if your work is being repped by a well respected site, like for instance the portrait artists on Stroke of Genius, that would be worth the investment IMHO. That is one example of where a fee would be worth it.
Just went back to see the date on this. 2001! ArtEx. Searching for this thread to post it back up, why?
Jocelyn

EyeSpy
09-13-2006, 09:28 AM
I hadn't even looked at the dates on this. That's incredible!

andymathis
09-13-2006, 09:42 AM
the president of Art-Exchange was the one who bumped this back to the top by posting a reply.

Picassosattic
09-13-2006, 10:25 AM
Art Exchange first contacted me several years ago while I was working as a photography curator at a museum here in Washington, DC. Something didn't feel right about it to me then so I did not respond. At that time it was free to join, but there were some other fees.

Many of the artists I know did join. To this day not one of them has sold anything through ArtExchange. Once in a while when asked about ArtExchange they will joke that it was a good thing they didn't pay to join.

If you want to spend money advertising your work you would be far better off buying Google adwords for your website or auctions listings. For the amount of money they are asking you could get some significant milage out of Google adwords.

ed3475
09-13-2006, 10:30 AM
my input:

that was a very straightforward and honest reply by the pres of art-exchange. this is one site that actually advertises in the major art magazines. it also has an aggressive marketing campaign- i know b/c i get their ads.

not all marketing efforts will work for all artists. you have to find what fits

jocelynsart
09-13-2006, 12:18 PM
I wondered also about Google adwords and was told that that is un necessary as well, for getting your site ranking high in the search engines or found quickly. However, I personally am not sure if I would not atleast give that a shot if I was getting together options for aggressive online marketing of my site to obtain commissions. Another artist from WC recommended buying Google ads and they are not too expensive. One thing I have heard though is that your monthly amount can be clicked out awful fast easily by someone.
Taking out ads in art publications or publications read by the general public also could be a good choice as one method of advertising to potential clients. It's hard to decide where to place those marketing $$$ best. Word of mouth eventually, I have found, becomes the best advertising tool. Someone seeing your work in someone else's house does wonders.
Jocelyn

Kelg
12-16-2009, 04:25 PM
I just got one today. Weird thing is, the sales rep was named Ciera or Sierra, she had a southern accent--and I am pretty sure the last time they called(maybe 4-5 years ago?) it was the same person!

Anyway I hung up on them before they could pitch again.

Sorry if this is necro posting. :(

junge040649
12-18-2009, 12:31 AM
I just got one today. Weird thing is, the sales rep was named Ciera or Sierra, she had a southern accent--and I am pretty sure the last time they called(maybe 4-5 years ago?) it was the same person!

Anyway I hung up on them before they could pitch again.

I can't believe art-exchange.com is still around. I guess there are too many artists who don't have the good sense to log onto wetcanvas and read all the negative comments about that bunch. :)

KreativeK
03-19-2010, 01:54 PM
Well, hello, am still getting calls from 501-624-1044; after a reverse look up online it is art-exchange again still trying to get money from artists with NO SALES for me at least.