GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Open
Year Created: 2004
Medium: Pastel
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 11 x 14
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Quick study of curtains blowing in the breeze. May do this again in oil.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Any/all comments welcome

futurebird
07-15-2004, 10:40 AM
Wow. I think you've done a great job rendering the transparency of the curtians.

NHyde
07-15-2004, 12:23 PM
I agree!

I'll look forward to seeing this one in oils too.

Cheers eh,
Nicole

Gilberte
07-15-2004, 02:43 PM
The more I squint the better it gets.

artinoils
07-15-2004, 02:58 PM
Very breezy feel. The color and composition are both very nice. Like the way you've connected to the edges. Go for it in oils. :)

Artistanne
07-15-2004, 03:08 PM
Thank you!

Gilberte, your post made me smile--maybe if you closed your eyes completely it would look even better! :D Just kidding, but I have quite a few where that is definitely the case. :)

I'm definitely going to do this in oils. I was working from a digitial photo I took of the curtains in my daughter's room. Before venturing into a "real" painting, I wanted to see if I had enough detail in the photo to work with, or if I needed to take more shots--I'm going to use what I have plus the sketch so I will be more likely to be a little free-er (sp?) in my interpretation. I think it will actually be somewhat easier to do in oils than pastel where I'm combining colors on the paper as opposed to on the palette--that gets pretty tricky in those shadows on the sheer fabric. We'll see...

I'll post a pic of them together when I have the oil done. Thanks for the feedback. :)

Wayne Gaudon
07-15-2004, 11:01 PM
It's lovely but if you are doing it againt I like to share a thought .. make the g spot hot and add a little rust to the shadows .. just enough to see if you strain .. that will give it some pop and some warmth .. oh, and of course I'd have to change to landscape LOL .. of course this is only personal preference but it might spark you .. who knows.

wolvenp
07-15-2004, 11:56 PM
You wouldn't think the subject could be very intriguing, but this version is.

Artistanne
07-16-2004, 08:46 AM
Thank you Wayne & Wolvenp. :)

Wayne, there actually IS rust in the shadows--my digital shot just didn't quite pick it up. :) I always throw in some color for "interest" in my dark areas. I'm going to stick with the portrait orientation--for me, this one is about the long, flowing curtains. Now if they were blowing wildly in the breeze, I'd consider landscape, but I want a nice, gentle feel and long lines, so I'll stick with vertical. ;)