PDA

View Full Version : Boro Bead Extravaganza - what do you think?

Jazzylily
07-15-2004, 03:17 AM
I am very pleased and very cross all at the same time - why?

My bead was chosen for the front cover of the Boro Bead Extravaganza Booklet (An Exhbition at Gallery 33 at the ISGB Gathering) as well as a write up in the booklet. However my bead was rejected for the exhbition by the ISGB jury. Although my bead is on the front cover I shall not be allowed to exhbit at the show. There are also a couple more beadmakers who have photos and a write up in the booklet who also have not been allowed to exhbit.

Don't get me wrong I can take rejection, it is not the fact that I was not chosen that I am cross. But I would have thought that if the bead was good enough for the front cover the jury could have changed its mind and allowed me into the exhbition - as well as the other people chosen for the booklet. The booklet has photos and write ups for 21 artists. I have written to the ISGB and basically I should be grateful for the front cover - but tough about the exhbition! They don't care that the booklet is not represenative of the exhibition.

It seems that the booklet was printed before the jurying took place - strange I know. I thought programmes/booklets about an exhbition were represenative of the work on display at the exhbition - maybe it's me!

So those of you who visit the exhbition may want to ask where is the bead that is shown on the front cover.

What do you think? Would you be a little cross?

Pauline

Emily NZ
07-15-2004, 04:21 AM
I must say that I assumed that those who were in the booklet were also in the exhibition!
I had no idea that there were some listed that were not in the show.
I am lucky to be in I guess, but if I were in your shoes I would have to agree with you!
I do love your star bead BTW Pauline!
See you soon,
Hugs
Emily

LadyArowana
07-15-2004, 07:07 AM
Sounds like typical committee behaviour to me ! I suppose it happened because of printing deadlines and no doubt the "people who did the booklet" were different to the "people choosing the beads for the exhibition".
I would be quite upset to attend an exhibition and find that the book didn't reflect what I had seen. I hope you get everyone that goes to make a point of asking where they can find the piece from the front cover! I had a peek at your site BTW and the stuff is lovely. Fiona

crsann
07-15-2004, 12:45 PM
I gotta say it Pauline LOL, DUH, it doesn't surprise me at all. IMNSHO the ISGB is more about politics than anything else, or should I say FPP? LOL that would be friends previously picked. But in reallity don't most organizations eventually get that way? No matter how good the intentions are it seems to always happen. The good news would be that you can use the press from the booklet for a good long time. There is the glass half full instead of empty analogy eh?
I'm proud of you anyway :p :p
chrisann

fay
07-15-2004, 01:17 PM
no doubt the "people who did the booklet" were different to the "people choosing the beads for the exhibition".

I agree with Fiona!! Sounds like there was a little non-communication between committees. Kudos to you Pauline to be on the front cover!! People will have the book for a long time...way past the exhibit...ongoing advertising for the artists included in the book... :cat:

I tend not to agree with it is who you know at ISGB...I think there is a lot of tough competition in the bead world today...and when all of the work is in front of you...the judges probably picked the best and most unique maybe without knowledge of the book.

My thought was: Book? Booook? What Book??? Never even knew there would be a book. :rolleyes:

:D

PatNewMex
07-15-2004, 04:10 PM
Hi,

I'd be a bit miffed myself. Here's my take on it.

1 YAY for you getting on the cover!!!!
2 You'd think that the items in the catalog would be in the show, misleading!

3 The only take I have on item 2 (as a graphic artist for over 17 years) is that usually something printed for a show or event, especially in color, has to be created weeks and sometimes months in advance. The process takes a long, long time if you take into account all of the stages a piece has to go through including hundreds of revisions by the writers. I'm not surprised that there are things in there that are not in the show, but shame on THEM for not jurrying and then printing the catalog and coordinating their catalog and jurrying committees. (Who was orchestrating this event? That would be their job).

Perhaps next year they will have heard our feedback and re-think their schedule and the timing.

Just my two cents worth.

Pat D.

Kimberly Affleck
07-15-2004, 04:28 PM
I would be very ticked off and disappointed, too. As a potential patron of the exhibition, I might also be a little miffed that the beads in the cataloge were not at the exhibition. This seems a little unprofessional for such a "professional" organization. But, there were a couple of unprofessional things that happened at the auction for the Obsessions catalogue, too (I have a very long memory. Grrrrrrrrr. Sorry, personal sore point. Sometimes it IS who you know, or at least, who knows you.).
Keep in mind, though, that the ISGB, for the most part, is run by volunteers. No one is getting paid to do what they do. And A LOT gets done!!!
I wonder if you were to contact the organizer of this exhibition if you might still be able to get your bead in, given that it is on the front page of the cataloge. Might save the ISGB a little embarassment.

JHDesigns
07-15-2004, 05:22 PM
Okay, I am very very confused! What was the reason ISGB gave you for turning you down?
Was there two jurying processes? I was under the impression that the Gallery 33 was the jury. Ugh..can someone explain?
Jami

wildfirelauri
07-15-2004, 05:36 PM
As with any juried event, there are specific criteria the judges are looking to meet. I would contact the powers that be, and specifically ask in what way your entry did not meet these expectations.

I also did not realize that there was a two part jury process for this exhibition. My contacts have only been with the gallery throughout this process. The specific beads in the catalog are not necessarily in the exhibition as there was an option to swap these out upon final submission. However, one would assume that the artists listed in the booklet will also be represented at the gallery.

PatNewMex
07-15-2004, 06:05 PM
I'll just add one more item to this thread that Kimberly brought up.

All things considered, this is a volunteer organization and I can attest to hundreds of hours of work, good work, that went unnoticed in a different organization I belonged to. (A weaving guild full of mostly sweet elderly ladies).

If this were a major corporation or someone with financial backing who got paid for it, then complain loudly. In this case, you might want to bring it to their attention and then do the right thing. Volunteer YOUR time in order to help out.

I created, printed, took photos for, wrote stories for and coordinated advertising for a small volunteer organization's monthly newsletter. I too was just a volunteer. I nonetheless produced a beautiful, professionally designed and printed newsletter on time and under budget every month. All I ever heard was about typos someone found. My response to that was always a good natured... "Gosh, I'm so glad you volunteered for being the new proofreader. I'm so swamped with work I usually can't do it all." No one ever took me up on that. I was very disgusted and quit after one year. I not only quit doing the newsletter but quit the organization.

I just realized all this when I read Kimberly's reply. so, take it all with a huge grain of salt! These people are not paid for their time to plan or do the work.

And, be happy your photo was on the front cover. That is HUGE PR for you that you can use for years to come! :)

Pat D

JHDesigns
07-15-2004, 09:00 PM
Okay, the way that I hear it is that ISGB had nothing to do with the jury process of the exhibition. Gallery 33 juried the pieces and Northstar either did the catalog or had something to do with it. There was somehow a mix up for some reason or another. I heard that the exhibit includes 20 people and the catalog lists 21. Whether or not this happened to other people I do not know. So, once again, I'll say......ISGB had nothing to do with Pauline's dilemma.
Jami

PamDugger
07-15-2004, 09:49 PM
Hi all, I had to register to be able to address this issue, so I'm sorry this is late, but I felt it was important to give you an answer.

First of all, Gallery 33, as every other gallery that ISGB has had shows in, handled the jurying themselves. I have no knowledge of who they took in or who they rejected or even who was on the jury.

Northstar very kindly and generously decided to print a booklet to showcase boro beads and decided to use those entries to the boro bead show at Gallery 33. They are donating the booklet to ISGB to have as a fundraiser at this year's Gathering and it will later be used to promote boro beads. And Pauline, if I was you I would be extremely pleased to have the picture of my bead on the cover. I haven't seen the booklet, so I am not aware of what it looks like or who is on the cover, but this is the first booklet I know of to focus on boro beads.

As far as the jurying process of Gallery 33, I don't know the number of entries, nor do I have any knowledge that there was any person not accepted to the show. I actually was under the impression that all beads were accepted. However, going from past experience (the Obsession booklet and auction) I know that there were some beads that juried into the booklet, yet when the beads were physically received and viewed, the beads were rejected. I was not part of the jurying process, but I did speak to the person in charge and was told that certain beads they received were not as pictured. I was told that some beads looked great in the picture, but the back of the bead was cracked or had scum, or the ends were ragged, which you couldn't see in the photo, etc. You all know what would make a great bead as opposed to one that will show up nicely when only looking at one side in a picture. So, I expect that what happened is that for some reason the bead you sent was not up to the standards they had in place. What those standards were, I do not know, and I think it is a real shame!!

If you believe there was a mistake, then I would email or call Gallery 33 and see what they say. It certainly isn't going to hurt to ask.

Good luck, and I hope this explanation has helped.
Pam

fay
07-16-2004, 02:51 AM
Thanks Pam for that detailed explanation. :D

And welcome, Pam, to WC! :)

Jazzylily
07-16-2004, 08:19 AM
Pam

Thanks so much for taking the trouble to respond. One thing I would like to like to make clear - I have no idea why my necklace was rejected and I did NOT submit any photos to disguise a poor bead - any photos that have been used were taken either by the Gallery or Northstar and I would not have thought they would have a taken a the trouble to photo a 'poor' bead.

I have asked the gallery to return my necklace and give me an reason why I did not meet the criteria for the exhbition.

Thanks to all who have responded and I do appreicate all the work the voluntary work ISGB put in. I know what it's like!

Thanks again
Pauline

PamDugger
07-16-2004, 08:35 AM
Hi Pauline, I'm sorry, I did not mean to intimate that you sent in a cracked bead, just that sometimes things are not the same as when you view them in pictures, as happened in the jurying of Obsession. I have no idea what the problem with your necklace may have been, but obviously the Gallery either made a mistake or something did not meet their standards, whatever they were. I really am sorry this has happened and I hope it works out to your advantage, which it obviously has since you are a cover girl.
Congrats on that.
Pam

Kimberly Affleck
07-17-2004, 06:27 PM
just that sometimes things are not the same as when you view them in pictures, as happened in the jurying of Obsession.

To clarify,
I was the one that mentioned Obsession in this thread and my issue was not with the jurying process or final catalog (I was very fortunate to be included in with a very stellar group). I was upset with the way the auction was handled for some of us who were lesser known entities. Not trying to stir things up, but I want to be clear.

PamDugger
07-17-2004, 10:32 PM
Hi Kimberly, I certainly wouldn't put you in the category of a lesser known, but the only thing I recall being a little unhappy about was that the first number of beads didn't get the high bids that some of the later ones got. I thought it was due to people just loosening up a little, maybe having an extra drink?, as time went on. I have actually forgotten who did the auctioneering, but perhaps they also needed to loosen up. I find that is generally true with auctions, not that that is necessarily what you are talking about. Are you saying that perhaps the auctioneer was biased towards people they knew or was it perhaps that the beads made by a specific beadmaker was made more of than others? I myself could imagine taking a bead made by, let's say, Kristina Logan, and making more of it than one made by, let's say me. Kristina is someone that is well known and her beads draw high prices, just as a Picasso draws more money than a Lourdes Linca (name changed to protect the innocent). An auctioneer's job is to get the highest bid they can get on any one item and if the auctioneer is familiar with someone's work I can probably understand them being able to come up with more things to say about it.

Other than what I have stated I don't know of any other problem. I really haven't heard from anyone who was unhappy with the auction until now. I'm sorry that you were not pleased with the way it was done. We do try to be as fair as we can possibly be, but no matter what you do, it is never perfect and there is always room for improvement.
Pam

Kimberly Affleck
07-17-2004, 10:54 PM
DWABI Pam. :) (don't worry about it). Past is past, though the taste lingers. Just wanted to clarify. Besides, I learned something from it all. And, I own waayyyyy more Pam Dugger fish than Kristina Logan beads!! (yep, I LOVE your fish!).

PamDugger
07-18-2004, 07:41 AM
Thanks, Kimberly.