PDA

View Full Version : Project Discussion: Outside the Comfort Zone Exchange

dogmaw
07-14-2004, 08:40 PM
Greetings all! Well, the deadline for this exchange is on the 25th, and we had our first arrival! I thought I would start a thread for us to talk about our projects. The rules were:
1. Do 5 glass things that are outside your comfort zone.
2. Mail them to me with 5 written explanations of what you were trying to do and what happened (with SASE).
I will be posting pictures, exchanging them, and sending them back out to all of you! If you want to join, there is still time.

Jo

dogmaw
07-14-2004, 08:42 PM
Here is our very first arrival, by dogsrlove. You can see the original twisties, along with some newer ones. Way cool!

Jo

dogmaw
07-14-2004, 08:43 PM
Well, after looking at those pictures I realize that they suck. :) I will retake them in the morning, when hopefully it won't be so windy that the cards blow away!
Jo

Kimberly Affleck
07-14-2004, 10:52 PM
Those twisties look great!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: I like how she included one of the first ones, then the ones she is doing now! Pretty cool!

bclampwork
07-15-2004, 12:12 AM
undefinedundefined
I'd love to join this if it is still open

dogmaw
07-15-2004, 09:32 AM
undefinedundefined
I'd love to join this if it is still open

It sure is! I will look for your package full of glass!

Jo

dogmaw
07-15-2004, 10:06 PM
Well, farkel's beads arrived today, and I took more pictures. Unfortunately the camera hates me. I managed to get 3 of them off the camera and onto the computer, and the rest will be coming as soon as I put the pieces of the camera back together. :evil:

As you can see, farkel did a different bead for every one, and included a little card with them!

Duh, edited to show pictures. :)

dogmaw
07-17-2004, 12:25 PM
Hi all! DH got the rest of the pictures off the camera, so here they are!

Jo

dogmaw
07-24-2004, 11:42 AM
I think I am now officially a thread hog. Not much discussion here! :rolleyes: I have 3 more sets of beads to post. The first is my rather pitiful contribution. I started out trying hollows (the blue ones on the left). Only they aren't hollow and they pulled away from the mandrel. The brown/amber one is finally hollow, but it has pointy ends! Then I thought I would try blue dichroic on a white base.... didn't have enough dichroic to go around, added some pale blue transparent to cover the gap, then promptly burnt the whole thing. ARGH! OK thinks me, I will try to use some of my pretty stringer and leaf shapes to make star fish. That worked out pretty well... until I burned the base again! ARGH!

After all that, I did some color mixing (got some nice lavendar) and then burned the white alabastro base I put it on. My HH isn't up that high, and I cleaned it recently. I think I am just on a wonky bead stretch.

Jo

dogmaw
07-24-2004, 11:46 AM
Here are Nita's beads. She is in Southern Flames with me, and was the only other member brave enough to do the swap. Her goal is to make matched sets.

dogmaw
07-24-2004, 11:48 AM
Gizzaz sent some cosmic beads! She tried the Barley technique, and added copper stars. I wonder how she got the copper stars cut out so nice????

dogmaw
07-24-2004, 11:49 AM
I ran out of good light to take picts with, so tonight I will post pictures of ListenUp!'s beads.

Jo

gizzaz
07-24-2004, 12:02 PM
Hello,
I used a Marvy brand paper punch from Michael's, to cut out the little stars in copper foil.
Lorraine

dogmaw
07-24-2004, 12:31 PM
Hello,
I used a Marvy brand paper punch from Michael's, to cut out the little stars in copper foil.
Lorraine

Way cool! I bet we can get them in all kinds of shapes and sizes. I see more money being spent at Michael's.... never knew I was prescient, did you?
:)

Jo

Toxey's Treasures
07-24-2004, 01:59 PM
Mine are done. They look horrible, but they are done.

I need to write them up today and will get them in the mail to you. I did go outside my comfort zone for sure!!

dogmaw
07-24-2004, 03:45 PM
Mitchelle, they can't look any worse than mine!!!

Jo

Toxey's Treasures
07-24-2004, 08:21 PM
Well, I can say I learned alot from them.

The one that I like that is dichro you aren't getting :evil: . I don't have many that I consider o.k. right now and am sending it out in another exchange. It is going to the Amazing Race exchange. I hope I can start making some really good ones, especially after Shawn and I spent the day together yesterday.

Listenup
07-24-2004, 11:44 PM
I sent my 5 in, as Jo mentioned, but they don't really qualify - at least I don't think so. You see, I kind of had a problem. In keeping with the rules of this exchange, we were supposed to practice something and send in our practice beads. The problem is, I seem to be going through a spell where everything I try to do seems to work for me. Please understand I'm not bragging, it's so frustrating trying to make not perfect beads and they all turn out great. I finally wrote to Jo and asked her what I should do, and she said to pull out 5 beads from my Wonkie Jar and send those in - but I had to tell what I did wrong, and show all of you what I came up with while working outside of my comfort zone - thread hog alert!. Since some of the things I tried to practice on are based on the Wonkies I sent in for this exchange, I'll show those first, and then Jo won't have to. Here are my 5, and the thing that I did wrong on these is that I was working too hot. A high flame and trying to melt the glass too fast is not always good. Glass is sort of like us - it doesn't like to be too cold or too hot - it likes to be at what it feels is the ideal temperature.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Jul-2004/35044-thin-twistie.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Jul-2004/35044-twisted.jpghttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Jul-2004/35044-sooty.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Jul-2004/35044-glow-dipped.jpghttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Jul-2004/35044-tanned-anice.jpg

Ok, now let me show you what happened when I went to practice some of these techniques or to "correct" my errors.

The problem with the first bead is that I tend to pull my twisties way too thin (they're too hot when I twist and pull). The top twistie here is one from the past that is as thin as the one on the red bead. The twisties below that are what happened when I wanted to 'practice' pulling thicker ones.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Jul-2004/35044-twisties.jpg

I knew that I was doing well at the torch, so when I went to practice doing the twisted dots (second picture) I thought I'd also try a new bead shape to make it just a bit more difficult, and add frit and some reactive colors to see what I would get. Here are the results:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Jul-2004/35044-glow2.jpg

The third bead - since I'm on a HotHead and using propane, I tend to get soot on transparents.....so how about I practice that? I'll make it even more difficult by doing it as a hollow (only my second one, more about the first one in a minute). Here is how that turned out:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Jul-2004/35044-hollow2.jpg

The 4th bead is one that was messed up because I didn't anticipate 2 things about dipping in this color (red) glow-in-the-dark powder. It holds the heat in the bead and as you're working on it, it glows red. The final result was that you can't tell when it's cool enough to stick in the vermiculite and so I stuck it in too soon. I haven't had a chance to re-do this one yet.

The last one I sent in, I thought it was all sooty from working it too hot, but the more I look at it, the more convinced I am that it's not what the problem was at all - and that this is a reaction I want to experiment with more. Notice how the sooty area looks kind of Tan? Since this base of this bead is Anice White and I'm on a HotHead, I think it's the Anice White Reduction Reaction that Smircich talks about.

Lets see, what other 'Out of my Comfort Zone" things did I try? Someone mentionded something about trying a twistie in an organic and not getting anything nice from it. My attempt:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jul-2004/35044-organic-twistie.jpg

My first hollow, I added lots of EDP to it thinking it would devit - nope. Then I made it into a tab (a-la-Smircich) thinking that maybe it would pop. Nope. As I sit here looking at this picture, I'm noticing some interesting lines in the black areas. I'll have to take a better look at it in the daylight and see what's going on there.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Jul-2004/35044-first-hollow.jpg

Practice my picture taking skills? Nope - seem to have already improved.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Jul-2004/35044-kidlet1.jpghttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Jul-2004/35044-kidlet2.jpg

Take a look at many of the pictures of beads I've posted lately. Almost each one of them was done by trying something outside of my comfort zone - and it seemed to work for me: Using Opaques, Dicro, or Patel Transparents in my organics (see the Organic Tutorial (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196103)), Fuscha in an Organic Bead, I using stiffer glass from a thicker rod than I'm used to, improved the presentation of my beads, and managed to make some unique beads, but none of them look like 'practice' beads. Check out today's Show and Tell (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=204665).

So, while mine are not 'practice' beads, I've done loads of working Outside of my Comfort Zone. Please understand why I didn't send in some of the best beads I've ever made - but I did send in some of the inspiration for them.

Hugs,
-Kay

Toxey's Treasures
07-25-2004, 12:11 AM
Kay Hon, I am thrilled your beads are working out for you. I think it is great that you can't make a bad bead even when trying. I totally understand why you are not sending in your best beads, and just appreciate your sharing with us.

Mine are all typed up and ready to go now. I just need to pack them up and send them off. I have included printed pictures of both the silvers that I am sending on both the pages about silver so that each person that gets one will know what the other one looked like. Also did the same for my 3 dichro that I am sending and included a picture of one of the dichros I am not sending because I think it is pretty good and am using it for my Amazing Race game.

They will be in the mail on Monday. I hope others can learn from my mistakes.

dogmaw
08-03-2004, 11:14 AM
Well everyone, I have Misty and Mitchelle's beads, and will photo and post them today. This afternoon Renee will be giving me her beads (she is the one I have been posting about in the lobby) and that will complete the set! That means beads are in the mail tomorrow. Woo hoo! Thank you all for your patience, as we are running a little behind schedule. I hope that everyone has had as much fun as me trying something new!

Jo

Listenup
08-03-2004, 04:53 PM
I'm surprised we didn't have more folks participate. To whose who did, :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

-Kay
One of the adventurous few.

dogmaw
08-03-2004, 07:23 PM
I was a little suprised there weren't more adventurous people too! Here are Mitchelle's beads. Her challenge was working with dichro and silver. Needless to say, my picture doesn't do her beads justice.

Jo

dogmaw
08-03-2004, 07:24 PM
And here are Misty's. I think her challenge was stringer control, but someone didn't include that info in the package. Tsk tsk. :)

Jo

dogmaw
08-07-2004, 12:21 AM
Well, the beads are in the mail! And there is a little extra something I put together for all you adventursome people. It is even outside my comfort zone. :)

Jo

Toxey's Treasures
08-07-2004, 10:51 AM
Thanks Jo!! I can't wait to get them.

My beads are aweful, but I think you will all learn something from my write up, at least I hope so. I learned a lot from them.

dogsrlove
08-07-2004, 10:59 AM
OHBOY, OHBOY, OHBOY!

Thanks for all the work and being so prompt Jo, I had a great time. Just enough pressure to try just alittle harder at something I'd pretty much pushed into the " one of these days" file. Huzzahs to everyone participating!

One more- OHBOY!
Vanessa

Toxey's Treasures
08-09-2004, 06:46 PM
I got mine today :clap: . I did get two that had no descriptors or names with them. One is a topaz color hollow?? The other is a hemp? bracelet with a aqua bead for a button and a flat donut frit bead that I think was supposed to be the focal, but it broke.

I would love to know what these two were trying to accomplish and who made them.

I hope I didn't go overboard on my explinations, but I am a bit more detailed than what I received.

What fun beads!!

dogsrlove
08-09-2004, 07:05 PM
Got mine too! Thanks JO for the extra "fessie"! Thanks everybody for their efforts!

Vanessa

farkel
08-09-2004, 07:41 PM
Happy girl here, got my beadies today :clap: I am so thrilled to get beads in the mail, I just can't tell you..... :D

Vanessa..the twisties are great, now I know what to work toward.
Renee..the fishy must be a racer with his nice big fins! Too cute.
Misty..Your flowers are so pretty and the dark etched one is my favorite.
Kay (Listenup)..how on earth did you go from your practice bead to that pretty pic of the same style bead? Wish I could go from point A to point B with such success!
Nita..the three little dot beads are begging to become a bracelet, I like the size of them, so consistent.
Lorraine..the "Wish Upon A Star" is so detailed and petite. Thank you for the great description of how you did it. I will write my wishes on your note and put it in my jewelry box!!
Mitchelle..Your #1 bead turned out like one of my dichro beads I sent in. I burned the dichro off mine, at least yours still shows. Also received #4 which is really cool, dark with lots of color. I can't believe your doing all this on the cannisters of Mapp! Thanks for the great details for how-tos...or how not-tos!
No Name Beads...I also received a bracelet (mine didn't break, sorry Mitchelle) I shall wear mine frequently. Also received a pretty etched bead with starfish decorations, now I gotta try one of those.

I have been really in a funk (total avoidance) with my beadwork and this has given me the boost I need to get back to the torch and PPP or PLAY, PLAY, PLAY. Thanks guys I needed this today!!!!! ;)

Listenup
08-09-2004, 08:08 PM
Kay (Listenup)..how on earth did you go from your practice bead to that pretty pic of the same style bead? Wish I could go from point A to point B with such success!

Wish I could tell you how. If any explantion an be given, put is aside for 3 years and try it again. That's all I did. I like the colors better in the practice bead though.

I got mine today as well. I'll comment more on them when I have more time. I'm swamped right now - getting ready for a week of medieval life which means loads of beads and medieval clothing for the family for 8 days.

-Kay

Toxey's Treasures
08-09-2004, 08:30 PM
I'm back and can reply on my beads that I got.

I love the hollow from Fran (farkel). I am in awe that you can do that. It is something I am going to put on my to do list. Also you said you wanted better puckers, but I think the ends are terrific!! The color, orange, is beautiful.

Twisties, I don't know who did them but they are really good. I need to work on those also. I think you did a good job on improving them.

Renee (galadriel?) I would love to see the instructions and an example of a spider bead that you were trying to make. I think you did well for not going by the directions.

Lorraine (gizzaz) what a wonderfully cool bead. Thanks so much for the directions. I'll have to put in my wishes and put it up. You did a great job!!

I love the bracelet and am going to glue the frit bead back together for it. Is this hemp? I think I would like to learn how to do this. Maybe the reason for the cracking is because of the amount of frit mixed in, and maybe the COEs didn't match?? I have found that flatter beads crack much more easily. It is a great bead and bracelet.

The topaz hollow is a great attempt. I love being able to see the center!!

Thanks everyone. It has been fun.

As for mine, yep, still on the cannisters and am saving for the bulk now. My plan is to have it by the end of the month. I might not be able to torch for a while, but will have to save for that bulk tank. It will make it much easier to melt my glass!!

dogmaw
08-09-2004, 08:35 PM
Mitchelle, I am so sorry your bracelet broke. It is hemp, and since these are my first hemp bracelets I used beads from India and not ones of mine. :-( I can certainly send you a new bracelet.

I was really bad about putting my name on things.... the amber hollow was just that, an attempt at a hollow that had pointy ends. bleh! And the one with the starfish (you got it right!) had a burned base that I tried to fix with etching. Now it is burned and etched. :) I'm so glad you all played along! Oh, and for the people who got Renee's beads, she isn't on WC much, she is my neighbor.

Jo

Toxey's Treasures
08-09-2004, 08:46 PM
Jo sweetie, you don't need to send me a new one. I love looking at the one I have and studying it. Now I have something else to try!! :D I think you did a great job with the hemp.

The hollow is absolutely fun!! I think by getting these it helps those of us that are new to realize that it is all about PPP and learning. I think the hollow is wonderful and you did a great job. I know mine won't be nearly that great when I do one. I have several of my beads from not so long ago that have ends like that. My mom is sort of partial to them. She thinks I am doing a fine job and should be able to sell, she just doesn't know the standards we hold ourselves to. I really wish my first attempts at things could turn out as well as some of yours. You are a great inspiration to me, and I really do appreciate you sending me some of your practice beads. Like I said it is wonderful for my ego.

dogmaw
08-09-2004, 10:27 PM
Mitchelle, I have to admit that I kept one of your dicro beads because I thought it was so cool. I can't wait to see more of your work!!

Jo

farkel
08-09-2004, 10:33 PM
The color, orange, is beautiful.

Mitchell, just wanted to tell you that the orange was a sheet of BE that was cut into 1/4" strips. Also the hollow was easy when I followed the suggestion to build up two disk beads and then use a tool (butter knife in my case) and start smoothing the edges toward one another. Finished up with a strip of glass right around the middle. Oh and I did what Tink (I think it was her) said and blew out some of the heat before I put that last bit of glass on. Did it quite a few times and it worked every time.....RARE :rolleyes: Glad you liked it.

Toxey's Treasures
08-09-2004, 11:10 PM
Jo, I am very flattered!! Thanks a lot. Which one did you keep?

I hope I get on the torch tomorrow, but have a very important Drs appt with a new Dr. I am praying he can give me some pain relief.

Fran, thanks for the explination. I may go to Hobby Lobby and buy some of the Spectrum sheet glass and try it out.

This has been a great excercise for me, and I hope we get to do another one again. If no one starts another one in a bit, I might host one. I think all of these exchanges are very beneficial to us all. We get to do things we wouldn't try otherwise.

MistyCherie
08-12-2004, 11:57 PM
Hehehe, I was bad and didn't make cards to go with my beads--but I did post all the reasons over in the original comfort exchange thread. Each set was a different "outside the zone" practice. The heart and twisty-like focal was experimentation iwith frits (I have tons of frit and have been hoarding it instead of using it. ;) ) The two flower ones were flower practice. Someone said they liked the darker one (that's my favorite of the two too). Then I was practicing some dot control on the coral and turquoise ones. The pillows are my very first two pillows ever made--after having the presses for several months. (I know I know--I need to just MAKE things instead of worrying about being able to do it perfectly from the get-go.) The last two were indeed stringer control--and I got some inspiration from Kaye Husko. =)

I got my beads yesterday! I got the SIS practice bead from farkel that has some great funky patterns going on within the SIS reaction, and the dichro barrel one ListenUp is great--The dichro spirals around and I am wondering if soaking it in coke will remove the soot? There is another dichro bead, with a wide stripe of dichro wrapped around a white bead. It has a particularly beautifully shimmery side to it, and I am trying to figure out what I will do to it to show off that side. I got some great twisty-cane, unfortunately they broke up in the mail, but I think the pieces are still big enough to use in beads and be pretty. I got the two yellow rectangle beads from Nita--which I think I will use in a bangle--I liked how well shaped they were and that the yellow is so bright and cheery. Lastly, I got a hemp bracelet too! Mine made it through safely, and has a green fritty donut with a teal blue catchbead. Fits my wrist great!

Thanks everybody!! I think this was a great exercise and we should try it again, and hopefully get more participants.

:clap: :clap: :D :clap: :clap:

*squish*

-M

Listenup
08-13-2004, 12:47 AM
the dichro barrel one ListenUp is great--The dichro spirals around and I am wondering if soaking it in coke will remove the soot?
Tried that, but it didn't help. Of course, that was made before I learned to work the transparents cooler.

I still need to post about mine and thank everyone, but I wanted to take pix of them to show and I didn't have time yet - leaving for a week long camping trip tomorrow and I've bee getting ready for that instead.

Till I get back, have a great time all!!!!!

-Kay

gizzaz
08-13-2004, 06:41 PM
They have arrived!
First I want to thank Jo for hosting again. It was only my second Exchange.

Thank-you Fran "Farkel" for your green Organic. I love how the foil sparkles from the inside. It gives the bead a lot of depth and mystery.

Thank-you Renee "galadriel" for your really cool orange eye. My daughter claimed it, because orange is her favorite color and she thought the eye was great and would make a nice necklace.

Thank-you Nita for your little matching maroon and ivory set. The color combination and technique is beautiful.

Thank-you to the mystery person for the hemp bracelet. Okay now waiting for the tutorial to make one myself.

Also Thank-you to the person who sent the twisties. I could not photo them, because I tried them this morning and my beads are in the kiln. They worked perfectly and I hope my beads turned out.

Lorraine

dogsrlove
08-13-2004, 07:47 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Aug-2004/32795-P1010002.JPG

Whee! It's just like Christmas! Renee', Misty, Lorraine, Fran and Mitchelle thanks for playing. Glad you liked the twisties. Misty, I'm going to send you some new ones, my "challenge" was making them long and straight. Twisty "crumbs" are a bummer.

Jo- great job, thanks for the "party favor".

Vanessa

Listenup
08-13-2004, 10:17 PM
Mitchelle, I have to admit that I kept one of your dicro beads because I thought it was so cool.

What enquiring minds want to know is what other beads did you choose for yourself?

-Kay

Galadriel
08-14-2004, 01:22 AM
It was pretty intimidating for me to join in this exchange after seeing all of the beautiful beads on the forum but I'm really glad I did -- it was so much fun!! I LOVED all of the beads I got!

Thanks for the cool red, blue, black, and clear twistie -- I'm looking forward to the day when I can pull some that straight and even.

Lorraine, I absolutely love your cosmic sky bead with the copper foil stars. I got a couple of shape punchers to try out that technique.

Fran, the dichro on your bead looks great! I particularly like the combination of the dicro colors on the aqua bead.

Kay, thanks for the raked frit bead. I love the colors! I am going to try soaking it in coke to see if the soot will go away.

And Michelle, the depth of your dichro bead is really cool -- it kind of pulls you into it.

I wish I could show these off but I am not good at posting pictures yet. Actually, I might be able to post them, but taking them in my house is the problem.

And Jo, what a great idea! I hope I get to do this again sometime. Thanks for the bracelet -- I have worn it to work twice this week!

Renee :clap: :clap:

dogmaw
08-14-2004, 10:39 AM
What did I keep? Well, the big temptation was to keep them all! But here is what I got.

Kay, I kept your bead that was put in the vermiculite too hot. I'm teaching my first 4 hour intro class on the 6th, and I'm going to use it as an example. :)

Mitchelle, I kept your black dichro one because it looked flat and felt round.

Misty, I kept your heart bead. I've been wanting to try hearts, but I'm a visual person and needed a model to work from. Needless to say my hearts still look crummy, but I have something to work toward!

Farkel, I kept your little green bead with pea green and SIS. I like it, and it pushed me to try SIS. With some cool results no less!

Nita, I kept your pink/white/purple set. I don't wear those colors and it gave me some cool ideas on what people might want.

Thank you all! I will be organizing another one, probably toward the end of September. After the outdoor art show in Pendleton where Renee and I are sharing a booth.

Jo

MistyCherie
08-18-2004, 11:33 PM
Hehehhe.... I actually find that style of heart the easiest to shape. (rather than hole from top to bottom). Just make a plump round bead, create the line between the humps, and then pull on the bottom. That one was a little smaller because I knew I was going to encase it but didn't make the base bead as big. (My other hearts are about 1/3 bigger.) Normal hearts are about 3 5-6mm rods wrap wide on the mandrel, but that one is about 2ish. I have this very thin and flat bladed knife, that I think was originally for cake icing spreading or maybe butter or something and it works perfectly for creating that line. I especially loved the colors I put in that heart and will have to make some more. (Now if I could only remember which trans green I used.... I know it was silvered with glow frit...)

Also, I wanted to give a HUGE THANKS :clap: :clap: to Vanessa (dogsrlove) for sending me additional twisties to replace the ones I received in the exchange. The original ones were broken (no fault of yours Jo, just the mail system!!) but I was still happy to have them and will use them. Vanessa must have seen my post and decided to send me more--some with gorgeous greens and a very pretty pepperminty red/white striped one. I'm thinking of a nice red and white heart with that lovely red/white twisty...mmmm.... Thank you very much Vanessa!!!

:D

-M

Listenup
08-20-2004, 09:25 PM
Kay, I kept your bead that was put in the vermiculite too hot. I'm teaching my first 4 hour intro class on the 6th, and I'm going to use it as an example. :)

That one really does glow well in the dark. Can't recall If I sent the red or orange one. I do remember that that particular powder really smelt like sulfur.

-Kay

Listenup
08-26-2004, 03:33 PM
I aplogize to all whose beads I received for taking so long to post about them. Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. Please know that my delay in posting what I got wasn't because I don't cherish each of the beads I received.

I thought the beads we were to submit were supposed to be practice beads? These are all so lovely - puts the ones I submitted to shame.

I got this pair from Nita at Drum Cat Beads. Very lovely. She was working on matched sets. While these 2 beads may not 'match', they still look lovely together.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Aug-2004/35044-1.jpg

This one came from Renee (galadriel). She was trying for a graduated dk to lt pink bead. She didn't get there, but the swirl on the end was her favorite part of the bead so that's what I'm showing.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Aug-2004/35044-2.jpg

These came from Misty. Not sure what she was practicing - I think she got whatever she was looking for.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Aug-2004/35044-4.jpg

This one is from Fran (farkel) Very nice - I couldn't decide which side to photograph so I let gravity decide for me. This one has lots of lovely texture as well and is fun to fondle.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Aug-2004/35044-5.jpg

This one I don't have any info on who sent it - but it's a cool bead. OK, I just looked back at the other messages and this one is from Jo (Dogma) herself - I'm so lucky! It's supposed to be hollow. She says it's not, but it does have a bit of an air bubble in there against the mandrel - you can sort of see it on the right side of the bead in this picture.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Aug-2004/35044-6.jpg

And finally is the little extra goody from Jo.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Aug-2004/35044-3.jpg

Thank you everyone for your little goodies. While this exchange was a little frustrating for me, I most certainly did expand my skills by participating in it. Not only that, but it was fun seeing everyone else stretch themselves and their skills, and seeing the middle results of that process, not just the end results.

Wish I had time to host another one of these - but I'm so far behind right now I'm looking up to see the bottom of the pile. But, should anybody decide to host another Outside the Comfort Zone Exchange, count me in.

-Kay

dogmaw
08-26-2004, 04:04 PM
Kay,

I really like your beads! Don't be so hard on yourself. I will be hosting another swap at the end of September, after my first show is over. :)

Jo