PDA

View Full Version : Death and the maiden

Joe Steiner
07-14-2004, 12:19 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/07-14-2004/45020_death_in_the_maiden.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Death and the maiden
Year Created: 2004
Medium: Oil
Surface: Board
Dimension: 18x24
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This model, just had a baby, and didn't want to show her stretch marks.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Please comment and critique

SMViolano
07-14-2004, 12:42 PM
It appears that your primary light source is at about 1:00- I think more shadow at 7:00 from the waist down- the skull could really use it.

On a non- technical note- I like how you added the skull. The entire work is really different. Colors are excellent too.

:)

pjsand
07-14-2004, 02:27 PM
Joe,
Wonderful figure painting (disturbing title tho). Love the composition, her face and her hands. There is a lovely orange color on her upper chest and on the hand on top of the skull and I would like to see hints of that same color on her breasts and also, on the hand resting underneath her breast. Also, there are a couple of very light strokes of paint on that same hand that IMO should be toned down. I wouldn't touch her face. She is beautiful! Nice work!

pjsand

arourapope
07-16-2004, 01:39 AM
I was lurking and I stumbled across your post. I had to post to compliment you on the striking composition and theme. I think this is a fantastic painting! I agree the skull could use more shadows, placing it squarely into the rest of the piece; but I think that's about all it needs. The hands are beautifully realized, and seem to carry the theme. Again, fantastic. I'd like to see more if you would post them.

NHyde
07-16-2004, 02:11 AM
Yowsa! This is a stunner!

The back story is as intriguing as the painting. Please do post more!

Cheers eh,

Nicole

TScottDove
07-16-2004, 02:49 AM
stunning indeed. love the pop of the blue, (and silly, but oh how i love the sofa)

giniaad
07-16-2004, 07:43 PM
well, I am already a fan of your work...

I agree, here, that the scull needs somthing...
I think maybe, a bit less accentuation...
perhaps too much white...
draws too much attension
when she is the star
and you have portrayed her so beautifully
(she is beautiful)
all other supports to her are perfect
(love the couch too...and the wall, colors matching her hair accents...
the blue, folds so nice, colors accent her so well)
I also love the color/accent on her nose...eye trail to her face...
her beautiful face...

wonderful work!...again...

LilKitten
07-16-2004, 10:56 PM
I really like the concept of this piece. It's wonderfully executed and the viewer is left wondering, curious, and thinking. I believe that is critical in good art.

Technically I would suggest a greater contrast. Some shading between the fingers and the skull, for example, and whiter whites of the skull.

The depth of shading and toning you used in the head and upper shoulder/peck area needs to be reflected in the breast/areole/nipple area, *and* in the towel. By using the blue towel, you've created contrast, but I'd like to see its' contrast punched up more.

White highlites (like you used on the nails), could be used, or a lighter glaze of lighter blues.

The lower leg/thigh area needs that same depth of color/attention that I spoke of. In some ways, they almost look like an afterthought.

The couch needs to, 'bend in'. When you look at a figure on a couch, it collapses the cushon, and fabric warps. Use this, as an advantage in your painting, especially with your obvious skill in rendering. Let's see that couch cave, 'in' some; let the pattern of fabric be warped accordingly, and create shadow under her, that lets her, 'ground' with the fabric.

I would also consider changing the color of the fabric, but that's just me.

An excellent work :)

lilkitten who is fond of couches and skulldugger in general