PDA

View Full Version : Fountains Abbey on glass (incomplete)

caviaporcellus
07-14-2004, 08:15 AM
I started a thread in here a while ago about whether I could post my glass works in here and a few people wanted to see what I do. This is an engraving of Fountains Abbey, North Yorkshire, I started doing on a sheet of glass. Unfortunately, I started doing it in negative (black being white and vice versa) The trees in the background are the correct way round and work ok but the rest isn't. Also, as I was working through it, I realised that there wasn't enough contrast between different parts and it all seemed to blend in. To have done it the correct way round would have meant engraving all the sky and it is very difficult to engrave a shade slightly darker than white and get it smooth. I will have to look around for specific images with a black background to work on.
I used an electric drill engraver with different sizes of diamond tipped burrs to do this.
The pic isn't the best quality as glass is virtually impossible to photograph without getting reflections.

Kat.

gwacie
07-14-2004, 08:21 AM
looks amazing but I wish I could see it a bit better. Do you have a lighter pic or a close up?

caviaporcellus
07-14-2004, 08:50 AM
I will try and see if I can get a better pic. As I said, glass is near impossible to photograph, I couldn't use flash or any other light source as it just caused reflections.

kat.

gwacie
07-14-2004, 09:01 AM
Actually, I think we are pretty well acquainted with the trials of photographing glass here (grin). Adequate lighting really is the key. You might try diffusing the light through a sheet of vellum or a white bed sheet - that way you can still get a large amount of light around the piece but without the glare factor. Good luck. I can tell it is an amazing piece.

caviaporcellus
07-14-2004, 09:03 AM
Hey, I found out somethin new...you can scan glass hehehehehehhe

Better pic.

Kat.

sharonL
07-14-2004, 09:06 AM
My goodness that's beautiful. Must have taken you forever to carve all that on the glass. Light behind it sure makes a difference. You should think about using it as the cover for a light box or at least get it lit from behind. Beautiful work :clap: :clap: :clap:

GardensOnGlass
07-14-2004, 09:11 AM
Wow, just amazing!

quill
07-14-2004, 10:30 AM
Yes, absolutely amazing! What is the size?
& how the heck to you mark the glass?

xoticbead
07-14-2004, 10:37 AM
Gee I don't know much about your process but it sure looks to me like it's a night scean. It's terrific please don't give up on it.
Liz

denizen
07-14-2004, 12:37 PM
I think it looks great with the dark background--the reverse isn't so interesting...

caviaporcellus
07-14-2004, 01:35 PM
There is no light behind it. As you know, glass is transparent and you cannot see the engraving unless you have something dark behind it.

The engraving process is a bit slow. It works on this principle, engrave a tiny bit, wipe with a cloth (engraving is basically taking tiny chips out of the glass and you get lots of glass 'dust' which is why it needs to be wiped off regularly), and keep repeating this process. Its much like drawing with a pencil but slower and noisier hehehehehe. After a while the engraver starts to get hot so I have to turn it off to cool down (and get the feeling back in my hand lol). The glass is transparent but when you engrave it it goes white.

Its on an A4 sheet of glass

Kat.

ValorieCox
07-14-2004, 02:31 PM
Kat, thank you for sharing this lovely work of glass art, your patience and skill involved is quite impressive. Please share more of your works when you get a chance, the scan method shows quite well! How are these works typically displayed when they are finished? :)

Val

DebbieSue
07-14-2004, 05:30 PM
Beautiful! :)

Debbie

Sophia757
07-15-2004, 12:39 AM
You must have a very steady hand and good eyesight! Wow!

Virginia L.
07-15-2004, 02:07 AM
I am so amazed, it is such an exciting piece, I just don't know what to say - Please, post more of your work - I will be watching for it - Virginia L

Juls
07-15-2004, 03:41 AM
Kat,
That is simply Stunning! You are certainly gifted with great talent...and patience!

Would love to see more!

hugs~