PDA

View Full Version : Suncatcher (self portrait)

Artistanne
07-13-2004, 09:34 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/07-13-2004/45754_suncatcher500.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Suncatcher (self portrait)
Year Created: 2004
Medium: Pastel
Surface: Paper
Dimension: Approx. 20 x 24
Allow digital alterations?: No, please :)

MY COMMENTS:
Self portrait, which is unusual for me, I draw people often but I don't do portraits. I'm generally more interested in capturing gesture/mood than likeness. I've also attached close up of face detail.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Any/all comments welcome

RedCinders
07-14-2004, 12:48 AM
Haha, this piece is very well done, and has great texture! The darkness around the eyes looks strangely sinister to me. :evil: It looks as though your plotting the murder of some neighbor who's gardening outside. LOL I have a weird imagination. But yes, extremely cool! :cool:

cdorell
07-14-2004, 05:44 AM
Very nice. It's just beautiful. :clap:

artinoils
07-14-2004, 06:13 AM
The light is great! Some anatomical issues, imo, the shoulders seem too broad...or maybe it's just the arm seems to want to be longer from shoulder to elbow which would push the hand off the paper unless bent at elbow and crossed over the front of the figure. Absolutely love the hair and the earing. I like this a lot. Very nice!

Wayne Gaudon
07-14-2004, 07:40 AM
awesome piece .. real mood and great character expression .. female Clint .. Go ahead, make my day, say something! :D

Artistanne
07-14-2004, 09:39 AM
Thank you for commenting!

Red Cinders & Wayne: I'm neither tough or sinister ;) --but that sun is pretty strong and I guess the squinting makes me look angry or mean. I'm actually very wimpy!

Artinoils: Thank you for confirming my suspicion--I knew that arm needed to be longer but I ran out of room and was too lazy to start over (even though I did do the whole thing in charcoal as an underpainting--figured I could fake it). I should have done this as a vertical, but c'est la vie. :) I really wanted to capture that sun on the shoulder, I think that contributes to the broad shoulder thing.

Artistanne
07-14-2004, 10:46 AM
Artinoils, you convinced me to "do the right thing"! ;) I lengthened that arm, whew, feels much better. Thanks!!!!

I also made the figure thinner--I think it helps to make the appearance more feminine and more accurate, I'm actually very petite.

Thanks again for all the comments, I appreciate the input.

haaf
07-14-2004, 10:59 AM
good play with the lights here
good breezy summer atmosphere
changes well executed
Caroline ;)

Michael-Ann
07-14-2004, 01:15 PM
And you are such a beauty! Shame on you though somewhat concealing your features in the extreme light/dark play from the window! ;) You didn't do that with the buildings or "Empty." You are masterful with those lines no doubt!

Artistanne
07-14-2004, 02:07 PM
Thank you Caroline & Michael-Ann! :)