PDA

View Full Version : White on Water

NHyde
07-13-2004, 02:11 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/07-13-2004/12353_whiteonwater.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: White on Water
Year Created: 2004
Medium: Oil
Surface: Board
Dimension: 12 x 16 in
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I think I set a personal record with this one. Two paintings completed before the middle of the month! *grin*

100% knife.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Mikey
07-13-2004, 02:37 PM
Nicole,

I am just about left speechless. It's just amazing how quickly you have progressed. It's not just the way you use the knife, more like vision, use of colour and more over an ability to bring the whole thing together. Boy do I go over the top at times.

Mikey

haaf
07-13-2004, 02:40 PM
Nicole...... just incredible beautiful
reflections, mood, balance all there and working together
like they should. :clap:
Caroline ;)

Artistanne
07-13-2004, 03:59 PM
This piece is stunning--wonderful job!

NHyde
07-13-2004, 08:40 PM
Mikey: Your comments have left ME speechless! Thank you so much! I'm walking on air now!

Caroline: Yippee! I'm so glad you like it! Thanks for stopping by and commenting.

Artistanne: Thanks so much! I appreciate your feedback.

Cheers all!

~Nicole

jerryW
07-13-2004, 08:59 PM
This piece is stunning--wonderful job!
do we love monet?

nethra
07-14-2004, 04:18 AM
Its amazing how you create such a magic with knife.The mood is so bright and cheerful...Wow..I love it.

Gilberte
07-14-2004, 05:23 AM
Magic around the water ...

V-A
07-14-2004, 07:20 AM
I am just waiting a fish to jump out of the water..
Inspiring painting :)

Wayne Gaudon
07-14-2004, 07:30 AM
You are a quick study .. reflections are great as I think the mass is much better represented than in the surface as I think you spent too much time on the shaping of the leaves and grass instead of massing it in for overall value shapes that contribute to the whole.

Perhaps you are striving for more detail but I think you have arrived where you can pull off some neat little tricks and they trick you into thinking that more little details (little tricks) make a better painting. :D It's still a beauty and considering how long you have been at it, it is exceptional. :clap:

NHyde
07-14-2004, 11:19 AM
jerryW: Um, not particularly. Why do you ask?

nethra: Thanks nethra. I'm pleased that the painting emits cheeriness.

Gilberte: As always, I appreciate your feedback.

V-A: C'mon, let's sit in the shore grasses with an ice tea and a fishing pole and wait for the fish! Thanks for your kind words.

Wayne: Thanks for stopping by and spending a little time with my painting.

mattlart
07-14-2004, 11:44 AM
I am just blown-away by this one, Nicole.
Shaking my head in disbelief at the way you've handled not only the knifework,...but the unusual color choices as well!
As far as the water is concerned;...BRAVO.
Elegant,...................................................and superb. A great job all around. :clap: Cheers, Eh. -S

SMViolano
07-14-2004, 12:07 PM
You are working a little bigger again!! Hoorraayy!
So when do you get your own website? :evil:

I do not see any issues at all with this one- the trees are random and natural- the colors- well I never have to say anything about the colors :D I do not see Monet- I see a more vivid and complex work- more unique.

I really enjoy the contrast - how you are not afraid to use dark shadow and vibrant hilights. This is part of what really stands out to me on your work.

So- what is this - painting #10?

Michael-Ann
07-14-2004, 01:17 PM
Oh man this is incredible Nicole! I love it! Reflections are like eye-candy...wowzers!

NHyde
07-14-2004, 02:00 PM
Scott: Hey Pall, thanks so much! I appreciate your comments and am greatly encouraged. I keep trying - that's gotta count for sumpin! :) I hope the unusual colours you are seeing are because of our crappy camera - if they are in the painting, I'm in trouble. :D A poster in another forum thought I painted the water pink and blue - and there ain't no pink in the water in reality. I'm considering not posting anymore until we get a better camera - it's just so frickin' frustrating. So until then, I'm happy (like an ostrich) to blame the camera. Yeah, that's the ticket. :evil:

Stella: Thanks so much, hon. Yes, I guess I'm around that number; I'm trying to forget I'm a beginner. :) I'm glad you mentioned my tendency to paint in high contrast. That was a conscious decision when I began. I had three goals: 1) Not be afraid of darks. 2) Not be afraid of green. 3) To paint with texture. A well-known artist here in the west, confessed to Wes and I that she was afraid of darks - I figured, heck, I'm jumping head long into that immediately if I ever paint to get over it. Perhaps I push the envelope on them. I dunno.

Michael-Ann: Wow! What a lovely compliment. I appreciate it more than I could express right now. :)