PDA

View Full Version : Three Pelicans At Sunrise

TauCetiV
07-13-2004, 12:01 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/07-13-2004/44366_3pelicans.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/07-13-2004/44366_Three_Pelicans_At_Sunrise.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Three Pelicans At Sunrise
Year Created: 2004
Medium: Oil
Surface: Board
Dimension: 12x16
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I painted this from a picture that I took while on vacation in Long Boat Key Florida. The picture was taken at approx. 7 AM on The beach -- These 3 pelicans were waiting in line near a fisherman. I am posting the picture as well so you can see the some what sureal colors that were there that morning.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Most of this was done with knife. The pelicans were mosly brush work. Any thing to be added or taken away? Hindsite tells me I could have added a fisherman to the painting for interest. Any comments?

NHyde
07-13-2004, 03:30 PM
Nah, no fishermen needed, IMO. I'd like to see a few more darks, but the sky is lovely as is.

Nice knife work too!

Cheers,
Nicole

TScottDove
07-13-2004, 03:31 PM
fun image to paint.

you could increase the drama in your piece by pushing the contrast between the birds and the background; darken the pelicans and lighten the water a bit. also check the posture of the distant birds - there is more tension in their bodies with the arched wings etc than you have depicted

blumoon
07-13-2004, 03:52 PM
My you have been busy, haven't you, Terri?
This is gorgeous. Love the sky . . . the clouds are amazing . . . and the water. It's all good. :D

haaf
07-13-2004, 03:55 PM
looking good, however I miss a little bit the orange in the sky from the reference picture and some good mars brown( there is some orange en red in that mars brown) in the neckpart of the bird on the right. And no fishermen allowed I say. This reminds me very much of the beaches of Ocracoke Island in North Carolina.(outerbanks that is)
Caroline ;)

TauCetiV
07-13-2004, 05:54 PM
Haff, yes the funny thing about this painting (and much to my dismay lol!) is when I uploaded the picture and saw the picture and the painting together in the post I saw the lighter colors in the sky and the esp the differnt color in the big ones beak. I said to my self I guess this is NOT finished LOL!
Blu- thank you :)
TScott - I am going to try to do this too I even noticed that the distant horizon in the picture seems to be more purple in the photo than my blu green.
One lesson I am learning is If I have a photo I am using --blow it up!
Nicole Thank you:)