PDA

View Full Version : Sow Thistles And Grasses

TauCetiV
07-12-2004, 04:18 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/07-12-2004/44366_sowthistlesandgrass2.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Sow Thistles And Grasses
Year Created: 2004
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 16x20
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I just finished this painting. It is a "learning" copy of Brian Bennet's Sowthistles and Grasses. The grasses in my opinion are not as skinny as I would like them to be- I am trying to learn how to use the knife better. My small knife would not work that day so i changed over to brush and still the effect I was looking for did not appear. Any help in achieving long thin flowing grass I would appreciate.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Do the colors work? The perspective is supposed to be low from within the grass and flowers with low hills in the distance. I personally like how the sky and clouds turned out

haaf
07-12-2004, 05:02 PM
good work , nice angle, love the colors
as for knife artists.... there are a lot around on this site I'm sure they will provide you with some good advice. For long thin grasses with the brush I would say a long thin brush, loose in the hand and just pull it upwards.
Caroline;)

bloodjelly
07-12-2004, 05:10 PM
I haven't seen the original piece so I can't comment on accuracy or anything, but I think some brighter yellows and some darker darks would separate the foreground and background a little more. I like what you've done in general, though, and the longer I look the more depth appears.

TauCetiV
07-12-2004, 09:33 PM
Blood Jelly :Thank you, I had the thought of buying some brighter yellows but then I second guessed myself and didn't. Some of the flowers in the background on the original looked like there was some dark red smudges-- just barely perceptable-- which I tried to do but I am not sure that it actually shows in this photo.
Caroline: Thank you, I am just going to have to try this teqhnique some more and practice!
Terri

Michael-Ann
07-13-2004, 01:00 AM
I think this is wonderful and following BloodJelly's suggestions will perhaps make it excellent indeed! I like the colors used in this.

TauCetiV
07-13-2004, 10:10 AM
I think this is wonderful and following BloodJelly's suggestions will perhaps make it excellent indeed! I like the colors used in this.
Thank you Michael-Ann- I think you all are right. I may do some adding-- the nice aspect of oil is you can always add more or paint over or scrape off which I think the scraping off is too late LOL!
Terri

TauCetiV
07-15-2004, 12:00 PM
Ok I added brighter yellow to the forground flowers and darkened some areas in the forground and withing the weeds. in person this picture looks better to me so thanks... I hope I added enough! :)
Thanks all!

NHyde
07-15-2004, 12:22 PM
Yup, you've added more depth with the changes. It's a lovely painting, Tau.

Cheers eh,
Nicole

cjord
07-15-2004, 12:29 PM
Terri,

Beautiful work..what a nice feeling you've captured here.

Charlie

bloodjelly
07-15-2004, 01:50 PM
Wow, much improved. Looks great.

TauCetiV
07-15-2004, 02:41 PM
Thank you all Nicole,Charlie and Bloodjelly - I know there are some areas in the painting like the tall grasses that I would like to make skinnier but at this point that would mean mixing and matching the sky and I am just not going to go there.... :rolleyes:
this was a really good experience! I hope to fix my other 3 Pelicans at sunrise a little better as well. this critque forum has been VERY helpful! :clap: Thank you all for taking the time!

artinoils
07-15-2004, 03:40 PM
lovely finish! Has nice depth and viewpoint and the complementary coloros of sky and flowers just makes it pop.

TauCetiV
07-15-2004, 04:02 PM
Susan, thank you- you have some beautiful paintings in your gallery- The beaches and the still lifes, I liked in particular- you have delivered a mood and atmosphere into those paintings!

Wayne Gaudon
07-16-2004, 07:34 AM
as a learning vice this is extremely nicely done .. nice color and perspective. I tried to find the original but I guess it's not on the web or my search skills are rusty. :D

Keep them coming.

TauCetiV
07-16-2004, 12:01 PM
Hi Wayne,
Thank you, so far I have been unable to find a picture on line as well. I have 3 different oil paint instruction books that feature his work either as a how to or just as an example of knife painting. If I found the paintings online I would buy them --they are so beautiful to me.
Speaking of "nicely done" I really like your "Catching The Last Few Rays" :clap:
Thanks for taking the time to look at my work. :)