PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Pastel Sketches 12 - 18 July

DominicM
07-12-2004, 02:47 PM
EJ seem to be away/delayed so:

Weekly Pastel Sketches 12 - 18 July

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And so begins another week of pastel sketching

This thread is open to everyone using pastels - hard, soft or oil. Its aim is to encourage us all to fit some pastelling into our week by doing quick studies which take an hour or less to complete. Set your timer for anywhere between 15 and 60 minutes and when your time's up, STOP, put down those pastels and share your efforts with us here!

Regular sketching to a time limit sharpens your observational skills and forces you to make rapid decisions. It also gets easier the more you practise! Sketch directly from life or from a photo - it's up to you - and feel free to post as many sketches as you like during the week. The aim isn't to produce a masterpiece, simply to get your fingers gunky and have a go. It's also a suitable place to post any informal pastels you've done during the week which took you under an hour.

Whether you're a newbie wanting to give those brand new pastel sticks their first ever workout, or a seasoned 'dust-buster' playing with ideas for a more considered piece, we hope to see you posting here.

Last week's thread:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200510 (http://http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200510 )

Look forward to seeing your sketches!

DominicM
07-12-2004, 02:51 PM
I was so unhappy with the WDE I did a couple of weeks ago I just redid it, slightly different perpective to last weeks but happer with sky.

Paper: Winsor & Newton Tints: Chocolate
Media: Rexel Derwent Pastels
Size: Almost A4
Time: 60 mins

Stoy Jones
07-12-2004, 04:00 PM
Just when I have something for the sketch thread, E-J takes a holiday! :rolleyes: :D "Hmph"...well Dominic, thanks for getting the thread going and great piece! Palms are tough as I tried them once myself, but it seems you did quite fine...like that surf too!

Here's mine, spent anywhere between 30 min to an hour on this from a photo reference of another WC member's daughter. Basically a color study for a possible oil painting. I fudged on the nose and hand, though. 8x10 on brown paper.

Stoy

prestonsega
07-12-2004, 04:08 PM
this is the first time foe me to post a 1hr on monday

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jul-2004/29946-sankimpatio.jpg

Khadres
07-12-2004, 05:23 PM
Wow, you guys are really getting with it this week! Like the seashore painting, domi! Stoy, you really captured this gal's spark, too! She looks full of the fun and probably thinking up some new bit of mischief while she poses....that brown paper seems to really do well for you! Preston, great one hour exercise! Was this plein air in your yard? VERY nice and full of lush color!

I spent yesterday just cutting pieces out of my Wallis paper roll and "stretching" it and underpainting a couple. I felt as if I'd been walking uphill all day by the time I got done, but I still hadn't really PAINTED anything! Ah, well, maybe today will be the charm. I'm still having a bit of problem getting the consistency of the underpaint just right for this paper, I think. Ah, well.

Can't wait to see what else everyone gets done this week! So far, VERY good indeed!

prestonsega
07-13-2004, 01:37 AM
Stoy...are you sure you don't need a new battery for your watch???? This is down right incredible!! when I first came to wc..your work was good ,but I have seen you progress in leaps and bounds!!! I know it doesn't just happen..you have literally worked yourself to a frazzle I bet...family, school, work....and missing fla. :( . why ,if you were a boy scout...I bet you would win a merit badge ;)

Geoff Futter
07-13-2004, 03:39 AM
this is the first time foe me to post a 1hr on monday

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jul-2004/29946-sankimpatio.jpg
Like it a lot!

DominicM
07-13-2004, 06:07 AM
Stoy, like the simplicity of this piece

Preston, lovely garden/patio scene

Sooz, am sure you will stun us with your use of wallis

Stoy Jones
07-13-2004, 12:59 PM
Preston Lol!! The compliments are appreciated, but the same can be said for yourself! I have been somewhat out of touch with this thread for a little while and when I come back, you post these little masterpieces that could command their own thread! I saw the fruit still-life, but didn't have time to respond as the drawing forum and my own painting and drawing is keeping me very busy these days. I like the solid masses of color you are getting and the shadows and lights look great. Really nice sense of light around the chair on this current piece, too. Honestly...Keep it going!!

Stoy

CarlyHardy
07-13-2004, 03:26 PM
The weekly sketch thread is not a job for just one person but a voluntary contribution which E-J has so graciously taken on week after week. I know everyone loves and appreciates E-J for taking care of it for so long, but everyone deserves a week off every now and then. So....let's show her know how much it's meant to have her commitment to this thread with a round of applause :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

E-J....thank you so much!!

Summer has also been slow and the interest in the sketch thread has waned a bit. However, anyone who would like to start the thread each week is more than welcome....Dominic, thanks for getting the ball rolling!

There will also be new options for posting sketches in the studios each week, so you might check out Dee's new classroom! or Sue's Monthly Classes! and who knows what else!! New Riots? New Challenges? New Projects?....oops....don't want to give away all our secrets....hee...hee....hee

>>>and now back to your regularly scheduled programming ....ur...sketching, that is.... :D
carly

DominicM
07-13-2004, 04:18 PM
Carly, couldn't agree more with you about E-J, :clap: :clap: :clap:
E-J sorry if I caused any offence...

Looking forward to these challenges (maybe)

DominicM
07-13-2004, 04:58 PM
Stopped in the park on the way home from work and drew this Plein Air.

Time: 60mins
Media: Derwent Pastel Pencils
Paper: Windsor & Newton Tints Tan
Size: A4

Will be posting in Plein Air Forum too

Stoy Jones
07-13-2004, 05:14 PM
Carly, couldn't agree more with you about E-J, :clap: :clap: :clap:
E-J sorry if I caused any offence...

Looking forward to these challenges (maybe)\

I second that! I know I like to joke and be silly, but I honestly can say E-J has done a terrific job all this time. Running a weekly thread is more than it appears to be. I have been put in the position to run one at the Drawing forum and don't be fooled, it is a BIG job! Lol!

Ever since I stopped into this forum to try pastels, this thread gave me the opportunity to post and get feedback on things that wouldn't be worth posting in a single thread of it's own, so I have always appreciated it. Keeping it running when E-J is out is commendable, I think. It helps us all out and keeps things moving, that is what makes this place great!...So, :clap: to E-J and a :clap: to Dominic!

Dominic, I see you have another piece posted! You are prolithic and doing a great job! Keep it up...how do you like working outdoors?

Stoy

DominicM
07-13-2004, 05:22 PM
how do you like working outdoors?

Wish I could draw better, however love the fresh air being astmatic, beats wearing a dust mask..

We might get a summer later in the month, we are due about 2 inches of rain in the next 3 days, so thought I should take advantage of the nice evening.

Khadres
07-13-2004, 06:13 PM
What a nice view for the daily commute, domi! I love those arched bridges...here, all of ours are steel and concrete or, if they're older, wood and iron...very utilitarian but not very inspiring for painting! The only thing I'm wondering is if the painting overall is really as dark as it appears on my screen...was the sun down already? It's hard to nail the light just right at that time of day, I know.

You might try using some lighter tones where appropriate to bring out the forms of things a bit more...decide exactly which part of the scene is your focal point and where what light there is is coming from; that makes it a lot easier. Then hit those things in the painting that would be most likely to be lit up. Don't be afraid to be bold! And have fun! That's the most important part!

This is a nice scene!

prestonsega
07-13-2004, 09:32 PM
"....
Dominic, I see you have another piece posted! You are prolithic and doing a great job! Keep it up..."

You know Stoy, I was thinking the same thing ,,,this is one artist we need to keep our eyes on!

E-J
07-14-2004, 07:15 PM
Hello you prolific lot!

I'm taking a bit of a break from my art this week ... just something I need to do. Good on Dominic for getting the thread up and running :) You are all posting such great sketches, too. Preston, the discipline of the one-hour painting seems to bring out the best in you. Stoy, lovely limited-palette study - yes, it would make a nice oil but it works beautifully as it is. Dominic, that's a great little plein air - they're a friendly bunch over in the PA forum and I'm sure they'll encourage your efforts there, as they have with mine. With your palm trees you might think about introducing more light/dark contrast to indicate the light source.

Carly - thank you :)

Hope I can make it back soon to contribute a sketch of my own!

DominicM
07-14-2004, 08:14 PM
I'm taking a bit of a break from my art this week ... just something I need to do.
Hope I can make it back soon to contribute a sketch of my own!

We all need a time out from time to time, me especially.. Enjoy your break , I hope it is both restful and a source of inspration for you

Stoy Jones
07-15-2004, 01:14 AM
Glad to see you pop in E-J...take care now! :)

Dominic, I agree with Sooz, we have some views here too, but virtually no architecture worth a second glance. You have some really beautiful country to work in and hope the weather cooperates again. I have been thinking of trying to go out and work, but too many thunderstorms lately. :rolleyes:

Stoy

DominicM
07-17-2004, 12:38 PM
I took up Sooz offer and abused the reference photo she posted in Soft Pastels Forum.

I cant copy from photos and I cant draw to my own satisfaction... yet ...
Thats probably why the rain clouds became a sunset :rolleyes:

Media: Derwent Pastels
Paper: Windsor & Newton Tints: Bluegray
Size: 170mm x 250mm (lost my inch ruler :( )
Time: 60mins

Dark_Shades
07-17-2004, 01:06 PM
Just popped in here as saw EJ hadn't started it up :eek: ..... well done domisoft for continuing it.... a well worthy cause.....

Well done EJ, you have done a absolutely SUPER job of keeping this thread going..... and I know how hard that is from my own stint at it.... :clap: :clap: .... well done, and time for a well earned rest ..... :clap: :clap:

..... Great works here already ....

prestonsega
07-18-2004, 02:27 AM
I started out to do a sketch of a large arrangment of freshly cut zennias on a 16"x 20" piece of Canson.....I got called away after only 30 minutes and haven't been able to get back to the studio for several days...the flowers are dead and I did not take a ref pic :( ....but this is what I go accomplished.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jul-2004/29946-30minzennia.jpg

Khadres
07-18-2004, 08:00 AM
Hey, that goes great with the "motto" just underneath it! LOL ARGHHHH, there is NOTHING stinkier than dead zinnias either!

Looks like you had a great beginning....go cut some more maybe?

prestonsega
07-18-2004, 05:48 PM
Hey, that goes great with the "motto" just underneath it! LOL ARGHHHH, there is NOTHING stinkier than dead zinnias either!

Looks like you had a great beginning....go cut some more maybe?

LOL .....stinkier and gooy! I think I'll just have to "chalk" this one up to experience and let it go....It was a fun 30 min though!.....I thought about a pen / ink drawing over it but I fear the amount of fixatiave needed would kill the impact of the colors.