PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Scumble - 7/12 - 7/19

Kathryn Wilson
07-12-2004, 09:50 AM
Ahhh, the weekly scumble rolls around again . . . hope everyone had a good weekend! Join us in this thread for your daily chat about what's going on in your life . . . pull up a chair, sip some morning coffee/beverage and share with your fellow artists what's on your mind today. :D

--------------

Had a busy weekend getting my house re-arranged for my two teenaged granddaughters' visit at the end of the month. Guest bedrooms are at a premium - and beds are in short supply - so off to the furniture store to purchase a daybed and trundle. My granddaughters live in Yuma, AZ so we don't get to see them as often as we'd like - and one adult has to travel out to get them and fly them back.

It sounds like dealing with teenagers these days hasn't much changed since my two sons went through their teens years - a most difficult time at best. One was a rebel and one was depressive - sigh.

Summer is a slow time on WC so we must all be busy at real life, but fall is just around the corner and we'll be back to normal soon. (what is normal - ;) !

So what's happening in your neck of the woods?

K Taylor-Green
07-12-2004, 11:45 AM
Oh, Kat, you will have a great time with your granddaughters.

We took our just turned 7 yr old grandson to the movies yesterday for his birthday. I would much rather take him somewhere as a gift than buy more toys that will get played with a few days, and then get thrown in the closet.
The birthday trip was supposed to be to Wolf Park in Indiana, like last year. But 55 hour work weeks have got Grandpa down, and he just didn't feel like a 4 hour drive. Colin was so good about the change of plans. As the oldest of 3, they don't get to go to the movies. My daughter buys them later on vidio, more economical! So to go to the movies with Grandma and Grandpa, and out to eat at a place of his choice, was almost as good as wolf Park!! But he still wants to go. Maybe when it's cooler.
Anyway, the movie was Two Brothers, about a pair of tiger cubs seperated, and later reunited. Really good movie. I'd recommend it to anyone who loves nature and animals. Rated PG. Colin loved it! I'm glad there are a few more movies that you can take children to, but there should be a lot more!

What's going on with everyone else?

meowmeow
07-12-2004, 11:57 AM
Kat, that sounds like fun...work, but fun. It's too bad you don't get to see them more often. That must be difficult.
Movies with grandkids are great, Kate. I'm glad to hear that about that movie. I had wondered about it for our 8 1/2 year old grandson.
I'm having a quiet morning. My figure drawing session got cancelled. At first I figured I would go out and paint but the weather is strange. The temperature is fine and it is dry, but it is off and on cloudy and mostly dreary. I can see the sun out right now and some nice shadows but from the way the morning is going by the time I got my stuff out the clouds would be back. Grumble...grumble. So...I have been reading. NOt a bad thing to do!
Over the weekend we went out on the boat and I actually took my pastels and tried painting from the back of the boat when we anchored. Intersting! :D I did a quickie of a stone tower on an island we were near. It was fun and I know the experience was good, but I have to say that trying to draw and paint while you are in perpetual motion is an intersting experience! I have enough trouble drawing a straight line in the right place! :D But it was good especially because I really studied the clouds as I worked. Much better than working from photos.
And we took the dog. We are trying to get him used to boating. He isn't quite sure why this little house keeps moving but I think he is getting used to it. It sure beats staying home all day! Here he is with his spiffy new life jacket looking out of the cabin and wishing he could jump into the water! Notice the nice, long leash!:D
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jul-2004/15050-keeping_watch.JPG

Everyone have a good, safe and healthy week!

Sandy

K Taylor-Green
07-12-2004, 12:10 PM
Sandy, Your grandson will love it. I intend to buy it when it comes out, so all the grandkids can watch when they are here.
Your dog is beautiful. He has that "wish I was anywhere but here" look!!

Speaking of reading, I checked Steven King's part six of his Dark Tower series out of the library. It's called Song of Susanna. I read it in two days!!!! By far the best of the series, IMHO. So what is everyone elses choice of a good summer read?

meowmeow
07-12-2004, 12:20 PM
FOr real "summer" reading I always like something like Norah Roberts. But then I like to read more serious stuff sometimes. So I went to the library and got a novel about the Civil War, The Other Side. Hmmmm....it is well written and I am sort of enjoying it...but what was I thinking! It is very distressing to read. Especially because although this is a novel I know what he is writing about is stuff that happened. Hard to imagine. But I find alternately stuff like this with the lighter books works.

And yes, I think Casey was wondering what the heck we were doing out there! :D

paloma
07-12-2004, 01:06 PM
Hi Painters,
My first glimpse of pastel talk!! Looks interesting & chummy.
Well here goes.Missed my morning swim as we have decided to re-tile the house so the morning was spent pulling up carpet - previous owner had it laid;Sounds crazy in Spain!!
Have had to put a restraining order on my husband as he is so keen to get all this stuff up before our daughter comes out in Aug - he only had a hernia op a month ago!
Anyhow it's bliss to walk barefoot on cool terrazzo in this heat- my Yorkie Max likes it too- I thought he was losing his sight through cataracts but he surely noticed my protective eye ware came & watched me put them on just kept staring :confused:
Being a Pom I would really like to know what lol means as I see it everywhere. Cheers all, Alexandra

Mikki Petersen
07-12-2004, 01:34 PM
Sandy, Casey is adorable in that life vest...how cute! I used to have a Siberian Husky. They aren't much for water and are pretty timid of new experiences. The few times we took him out on our boat, he had to be pulled belly crawling all the way out the dock. We finally gave in and let him stay in camp while we fished.

I, too, like Norah Roberts. I know what you mean about sneaking some heavier reading in too. I just finished "City of Light" by Lauren Belfer, a Costo book of the month. It is set around the building of the first electricity generating plant in the US on the Niagra in buffalo New York. While it is a fascinating murder mystery, there is also a great deal of information about the power industry and the politics surrounding it. Now I'm reading Jeffrey Deaver's latest, "The Vanished Man". The bad guy is a magician and there is all sorts of fascinating stuff about the world of magic. Fast read!

Kate, thanks for the movie tip. Maybe I'll take the grandmonkeys out to the movies to celebrate their last night with us :D . Today, we will paint gourds to look like monsters (self portraits) and then go to the lake...again.

I started going through the storage shed yesterday...yes, Sooz...I am insane at this point! My oldest grandson was "helping" me but as soon as we came across the first box of old photos, I lost him for the afternoon. Are any of you into sewing? It is a worse hobby for taking up space than probably any other. I have boxes and boxes of fabric, beads, notions, ribbons, etc. My current inclination is to cart them all to the Senior Center. Hubby is worried I will later need to re-buy all that stuff. I don't have any place to sew now except the dining room table which is right smack in front of the front door. Too depressing a place to make a mess...haven't had the sewing machine out since we moved and have no real interest in doing so.

I found a bunch of ancient artwork...like an oil portrait of my Dad I did in high school. Good likeness but his coloring looks like it was a painting from life after his death :evil: . Maybe when I get my life back, I will give it a go in pastel. See if I've learned anything since I was 17 (39 years ago).

Speaking of getting my life back, Robert Genn, in his latest newsletter, talks about the interrupted life, wherein he feels like he gets real work done on coffee breaks because the work day is filled with interruptions. His premise is that those interruptions are part of life and we must learn to work with and around them instead of waiting for "quiet time" which probably will never come...

Hope everyone is happily busy with activities of their choice this week!

Mikki Petersen
07-12-2004, 01:40 PM
Being a Pom I would really like to know what lol means as I see it everywhere. Cheers all, Alexandra

Welcome to the scumble! LOL is 'Laugh Out Loud'. It's computer speak. BTW, 'By The Way' is another one you will see. OMG is 'Oh My God' or Gosh.

DominicM
07-12-2004, 02:58 PM
Sandy,

Is that really a doggie lifejacket, or is is just a plastic cover to try and keep him dry...

K Taylor-Green
07-12-2004, 03:06 PM
Oh, Norah Roberts!! She has to be my favorite. I love suspence, thrillers, and she does them so well, with wit, humor, and really steamy sex!! LOL

But, I'm a big Steven King fan, too, and have followed the Dark Tower series since the beginning. This is his answer to Lord of the Rings, another favorite.

Paloma, Welcome to the scumble, a great place to learn about each other.

meowmeow
07-12-2004, 03:17 PM
Is that really a doggie lifejacket, or is is just a plastic cover to try and keep him dry...

Yep! It's the real deal. It keeps him afloat. HOpefully he won't go overboard but just in case...
Hubby just got it at the pet store for about $17. Not bad!

Paula Ford
07-12-2004, 03:55 PM
Hi Everyone!

Sounds like all of you are having a great time with your grandchildren!! I never had kids so I can just imagine what fun you are having. By the time I met my husband I'd had all my female stuff taken out, but he would have been a wonderful father...oh well, we have 5 cats instead.

Still going to art class on Tuesday nights, but haven't had time to paint other than on Tuesdays. Before vacation I was painting everyday and could feel myself getting better and more confident by the day. Then went away on vacation and now it feels like I've never picked up a pastel before and am feeling very discouraged.

Made all new curtains for my bedroom this past weekend. They are so pretty. Good ole Wal Mart...found 13 yards of beautiful white (my bedroom is country blue with white trim so it looks really great) fabric for $1/yard!!

Have started selling stuff on Ebay...how exciting (I wish my paintings would sell, but they aren't yet).

Wishing everyone a blessed week!!

Paula

DominicM
07-12-2004, 04:04 PM
Sandy, haven't seen any this side of the pond yet... but good idea..

Is that lake sailing or coastal, havent been sailing for years...

Kate How does the Dark Tower series compare to his other writings, How would you place it Horror/Suspense/Somewhere between.

Paloma,
Give him a clip round the lugs from us and threaten that we will pay him a visit unless he takes it easy

SweetBabyJ
07-12-2004, 05:24 PM
I cleaned carpets all weekend. The dog- appropriately named "Hairry" because he is- likes to dig himself a nice cool spot under the side deck and snooze for a few hours during the day, and he managed to turn all the light "natural buff" coloured carpet dirty grey in the last couple weeks. He's nearing 14, though, and suffering a myriad of old-age ills, so we mostly let him do as he pleases- just add new cedar chips to his favorite spots and steam-clean carpets more often. Today is quite warm here, and sunny, and I'd love to go do something enjoyable, but I'm tired and will prolly just finish laundry and snooze some my ownself. I'm getting old, too.

I heard Mary was trying to hide from me 'cause she went shopping without me; I'll be a martyr, though, and forgive her, 'cause she has to suffer in-laws for another FOUR days! and besides, I have 42 assorted Giraults, Senneliers and Unisons coming from Ebay, along with five yeards of Wallis' finest. Tit for tat, right? As for painting, I'm in my sketching/creating mode: When one idea will at last take precedence, beat the others to submission and jump to the front of the line shouting "Me!! Pick ME!!". then I'll start in again. Until then, I sketch and take pics of stuff I like, and wait, and let things gel some. Seems to work.

Chicken on the grill tonight, and a nice tomato/red onion/cucumber salad with fresh corn on the cob. Onliest thing better'd be homemade ice cream afterwards. Yum.

Be well, y'all

meowmeow
07-12-2004, 05:26 PM
I'd be surprised if they don't have doggie life jackets in the UK. Check online maybe if you are interested.
Our boat is actually a power boat...a bit noisier than sail but it does move! :D WEll, we don't go that fast. And we do like sailboats as well.
We were on the Maine coast, Atlantic Ocean. I guess it could be called a pond...as in haven't seen any this side of the pond yet :D
I think that is what you meant by coastal "lake?"...sorry, it just struck me funny since it is soooo big out there! It always amazes me to see it.

Khadres
07-12-2004, 06:45 PM
Wow, sounds like everyone's really busy but me! Well, I'm keeping busy, but just not at such interesting stuff! We had a monster thunderstorm Friday nite...soaked basement playroom rug and all that. We're finding out that the guy who redid the guttering on the house didn't do such a bang-up job after all and are hassling with that...it's so tiresome... But we did get over 3 inches of rain (mixed with hail) that night, all within about an hour's time. Haven't had rain like that in YEARS! Not sure I WANT that much that fast again soon either! The land is soaked now, so a spell of drier weather won't seem as bad as it did.

But my trip to local art shows on Saturday was a bust, partly due to the fact that the humidity and heat were terrible and I'd forgotten my diabetes meds that morning and felt just awful (blood sugar was through the roof by the time we got home). The art work we did see was pretty ho-hum, but I don't know if that was indicative of all of it or not since we only saw part. There were some nice sculpture things and some bold bright watercolor florals, but other than that, most of the stuff looked as if the artist had discovered a "schtick" (sp?) such as sunny Italian windows full of flower pots (very poorly done, I'm afraid) and their whole display was endless versions of the same painting. Far as I could see, nothing was selling at all. Such a shame, but I suppose outdoor summer arts festivals are like they've always been...very spotty for sales and quality. Most of the shoppers seemed to be just ignoring the whole show (was in an outdoor up-scale mall sorta thingy). Anyway, I'm glad I hadn't gotten in on that one, specially as hot as it was. Couldn't help but feel a bit sorry for the artists sitting there suffering in the heat.

I DO think, however, that I've been totally spoiled here on WC by the quality of the work everyone posts! The most newbie person I've ever seen on here is miles and away better than most of the stuff I saw. I almost felt like running home, printing out little WC! cards with the URL and distributing them amongst the participants! I just need to learn to be more tolerant again, I think. And I do realize that many of these artists probably paint in a vacuum here, since there is very little in the way of classes, awareness, etc. It's difficult to learn in a sterile environment.

I spent yesterday cutting out pieces from my roll of Wallis paper and stretching, underpainting, etc. etc. I'm so darned slow at it, I never got to actually PAINT anything, but am hoping to remedy that situation later today. I'm beginning to talk to the dogs as if they are humans again since hubby's still gone. Solitude is nice for creative pursuits, but I'm not sure I'd want to be a hermit for long!

Anyway, hope everyone has a great week with ample painting opportunity or at least the chance to take some source photos, etc.!

Deborah Secor
07-12-2004, 07:27 PM
Somehow I've missed this thread or the link to it, or I'm just getting forgetful! (Is it stupidity or old age that's to blame? I'll find an excuse in there somewhere...)

Love the doggie vest, Sandy. My old lab would've been insulted. As a pup we lived on an acequia and he swam so often he got ear infections that plagued him nearly all his life. I suspect if you could have asked him he would've said it was worth it!! (My vet bill notwithstanding.)

I'm hot into my article for this month, and trying to shoot photos of illustrations. Very, very frustrating. I cannot seem to show the detail as much as I want to. I'm searching for some further help with my digital camera.

My summer reading list includes a book by Sigmund Brouwer called The Weeping Chamber. It centers around a man in Jerusalem during the week of Jesus' crucifixion--and has a surprise ending that was so satisfying! Beautifully written, too.

Okay, I'm putting up a speacial thread sometime soon and need to go work on that. It's been stromy here (meaning lightning, not rain, which is quite scary in fire season, not to mention inconvenient since I have to turn off the computer!!) In fact, I can smell the rain all around and it's getting dark, so I better go before the computer gets fried in one of our famous power surges (the curse of the rural electric co-op!)

Deborah

K Taylor-Green
07-12-2004, 09:01 PM
Sandy, haven't seen any this side of the pond yet... but good idea..

Is that lake sailing or coastal, havent been sailing for years...

Kate How does the Dark Tower series compare to his other writings, How would you place it Horror/Suspense/Somewhere between.

Paloma,
Give him a clip round the lugs from us and threaten that we will pay him a visit unless he takes it easy

Dominic, Supernatural covers it best, full of horror and suspense, and his usual dark humor. Vintage King. While I like it very much, it can't touch "The Stand" IMHO, the best Steven King book ever. Read it 6 times since it came out in the 70's. The ultimate battle of good versus evil. And the world didn't end with a bang, it ended with a sneeze!! Worried me every time I heard someone sneeze in public, for the longest time! :evil:

Pinecone Conniff
07-12-2004, 09:25 PM
Thought I would scumble-share my summer weekend passion!...My husband & our boat & the Chesapeake Bay!
Annette
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jul-2004/39721-boat__us.jpg

Artistammy
07-12-2004, 09:35 PM
I've been reading some adventure books by Clive Cussler. They're upbeat - hero always does good.
Our ADHD son managed to get his wallet picked out of his pocket in Mex. over the weekend. Arghh! It had our creditcard, his debit bank card, his Visa, social security card. You name it, it was in there. He's driving us crazy even from another country. Oh, I hope he grows up soon!
I finished the painting for my Mother & I'm very pleased with it. She & I went to the frame store today to see how she wanted it done. I had forgotten to sign it so I had to bring it back home for that. And she has to decide on clear or non-glare glass. I'll post a pic after it's framed.
Sandy, your dog looks cute. Ours barks so much we haven't taken her on any trips except to the family cabin no where near water. I don't know what she'd think of that. lol She hates rain.
Tammy

Mikki Petersen
07-12-2004, 10:12 PM
Kate, The Stand is my all time favorite book. I, too, have read it many times and I still think about the Superflu everytime I get a headcold :D .
If you get a chance, try Dean Koontz' new one, The Taking. Talk about a surprise ending...real different!

Sooz, that rain can be a "careful what you wish for" thing. We always end a drought here in California with floods and mudslides.

Well...I snuck out today and did a quick plein aire. Felt good to be painting again but I'm finding myself in one of those conundrum kind of places where I have been learning so much that it is really hard work to put together a painting...are the colors balanced? Is the background distanced? Where is the focal point? Does the composition lead the viewer to the focal point? How's the perspective? Where's the vanishing point? The light source? What are the perceived colors versus the real colors? Are the colors fighting each other or harmonizing?...I need a nap!

paloma
07-13-2004, 03:58 AM
Yes you can get these coats in the UK& now almost anything you fancy including hats, Harrods has a good pet dept- you used to be able to leave your pet in there at one time so you could browse the store. One time it was my favourite place to swan around have lunch etc, now it has gotten too expensive.
Well Dominic seeing my man is 6'4" I would have a hard job clipping his ear as I am 5' 3" anyhow he is all worn out today so he can slum around a bit.
Now I am really glad to know that lol dose not mean lots of love!!! until w/c my comp skills were limited to e-mailing friends & family - no one uses these abreviations, so will pass this info on - lol.

Today I shall try to do some painting - have been waiting for a canvas to dry so that I can start on a copy of a cezanne street scene - the thread was for June in oils forum ; it inspired me to have a go as I have never copied a master before . Quite excited about doing this ; really hope it works out, wish me luck. Cheers ,Alexandra :)

DominicM
07-13-2004, 06:02 AM
seeing my man is 6'4" I would have a hard job clipping his ear

Guess we will have to let him off then..

SweetBabyJ
07-13-2004, 12:34 PM
Morning (note no qualifyer). Bad night 'round here- I've something weighing my mind (bad enough) and wasn't doing too good in the sleep department anyway, then the alarm went off and my husband (volunteer firefighter/EMT) took off for a HUGE alarm: arson to a couple of boats at the marina down the road. I swear, they toned out the entire district and cross-support from two others, PLUS the fire boat, PLUS the Coast Guard and EPA were involved. How do I know all of this? He left the radio here squawking. Last time I tried to turn the thing off, I actually DID turn it off- he missed calls 'cause I turned it off instead of re-set it. So I don't mess with it anymore; but it's difficult to sleep with that thing squelching and squawking and all the radio chatter going on.

Apparently, it was a rip-roarer, but other than the three boats which were set (they'd've been a loss anyway) and some damage to the dock, nothing else was damaged and no one hurt. You'd think "boats in the water- no sweat putting them out, right?" Wrong. Boats float, and if you aim a firehose at 'em, they spin-off and skid away- still on fire, bumping other boats, the dock, whatever.... Even if they're diesel fuel, they've got a propane tank for the galley area and propane under pressure has this tendency to explode- so thoughtless of it.....

Second fire call at night in a row- and the fourth or fifth this month. Unusual up here- it's as if, because there've been so few fires for the last few years, everyone is being careless now. I mean, exactly *how* does a shed full of firewood catch fire in the middle of the night?? Why is there a chimney fire going in July?? These and other mysteries.....

Obey any burn bans in your areas, Folks- Nature does enough damage all by itself. I'm going back to bed. Again.

Mary Robinson
07-13-2004, 01:44 PM
Mikki, I loved The Stand :) . I've been working on a redo of a painting I did years and years and years ago, in colored pencil, my mother knocked it off of her wall and the glass cut through the paper. In between that, to save my sanity, I've been doing small things, the baby giraffe and the baby zebra. Also only have two days left of in-laws....woo hoo, I can see the light :D . And look what I found in my garden yesterday :). Stop feeding the bushes, Mikki, seeing as how it's safe to come out now :D .

Nice boat, Annette, hubby and I are going bottom fishing for our anniversary this year. I've never been fishing but he loves it, so I suggested we go since he never gets to go out and fish much anymore.

Hope you get some sleep, SBJ, I've been having a few of those lately myself, mostly cause it's the only time I've had to myself the last couple of weeks. By the way, I think I felt a tiny bit guilty about that online shopping deal, I had a dream the next night you and preston came after me with huge wicked looking paint brushes :evil: .

Anyway, enjoy the pics, I've got a plan for the glads, I'll post the pic if it comes out the way I want it to come out. The Dahlia is especially for you, juwal, you do such amazing work with close up flowers.

Mary

Kitty Wallis
07-13-2004, 04:36 PM
:music: Happy Birthday to me...Happy Birthday to me...Happy Birthday to me-eeee...Happy Birthday to me... :music:

DominicM
07-13-2004, 04:40 PM
:music: Happy Birthday to me...Happy Birthday to me...Happy Birthday to me-eeee...Happy Birthday to me... :music:
21 again Kitty ;) Have a wonderful day and dont work too hard ;)

Kathryn Wilson
07-13-2004, 04:59 PM
Happy Birthday Kitty!

Mary Robinson
07-13-2004, 05:18 PM
Happy Birthday, Kitty!!!!!

And here's the pic I promised earlier. My tribute to the good old Red, White and Blue :D .

Mary

meowmeow
07-13-2004, 05:30 PM
Happy birthday, Kitty!!! Have a super day!!!

That sounds like quite a night, Julie! Take it easy today!

Great boat, Annette!

Khadres
07-13-2004, 06:01 PM
Happy Birthday Kitty!!

SweetBabyJ
07-13-2004, 06:31 PM
What?!? I'm missing a party?!? Little quiche thingies with candles on me!!!

:music: Happy Birthday to you
Happy Birthday to you
You think that you're older-
but you're still 32!!! :music:

Many happy returns of the day, Kitty Wallis- hope this year brings all good things to you and yours.

Deborah Secor
07-13-2004, 06:36 PM
Joining in the birthday chorus for Kitty:
:music: HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! :music:

Kitty, you share the day with my son who was born on July 13, 1986 at 9:03 AM. This morning at that time I woke him with a kiss and told him he was officially 18--and I know 'cause I was there! For his gift I'm giving him contact lenses. We went to the eye doc this morning and he's worn the practice ones for the day--and one of them is not working at all... :( So I'm hoping we can get this all figured out soon.

I'm gonna go paint. (No--this time I'm painting the doors in my bedroom.)

Deborah

K Taylor-Green
07-13-2004, 06:37 PM
Happy Birthday, Kitty :music: :music: :music:

Mikki, I'll have to look for that Koontz book. I like him, too.

Julie, Hope tonight is better!!

Mary, Beautiful flowers. My roses are doing pretty well this year. There don't seem to be as many Japanese Beetles this year.

Annette, Lovely boat.

Now I have to get ready to go watch my grandson play pee wee baseball!

stonewhiteclown
07-13-2004, 06:43 PM
Kittyyyyyy! Happy Birthday to you!

Hey Mary, nice photos! Can I use your sunflower pics for reference?

Kathryn Day
07-13-2004, 07:04 PM
Kitty: Happy Birthday!!!

Deborah: Happy Birthday to your son!

Julie: get some sleep. I'll wish for no more fires!

All quiet here in New Mexico. Got a smidgen of rain yesterday and hoping for some today. Clouds out, but that doesn't always mean anything. I think I will post the portrait I have been working on, did lots more on it, not sure if it is done, but feel done with it. Wish August would come, can't wait to meet lots of you and I NEED supplies.

Everyone have a good week.

stonewhiteclown
07-13-2004, 07:06 PM
Kitty, you share the day with my son who was born on July 13, 1986 at 9:03 AM. This morning at that time I woke him with a kiss and told him he was officially 18--and I know 'cause I was there! For his gift I'm giving him contact lenses. We went to the eye doc this morning and he's worn the practice ones for the day--and one of them is not working at all... :( So I'm hoping we can get this all figured out soon.

Deborah, when I first was fitted with contacts, doc set me schedule so I had to wear them on a first week for 2 hours a day, second week for 3 and so on. Maybe your son felt discomfort because he wore them all day long immediately? Happy birthday to him too, I wish him well!

Mary Robinson
07-13-2004, 09:06 PM
stonewhiteclown, feel free to use any you like, I've also uploaded them to the image library.

Happy Birthday to your son, also, Deborah :)

Mary

purplelizard
07-13-2004, 10:05 PM
Hello, all! Good grief, I think there's been more posts in two days then all of last week! I guess everyone is back - or talkative!! :D

Beautiful flowers, Mary! I love sunflowers.

Continuing from last weeks drama, Gretchen (15)met w/the therapist today - she seems to like her. Therapist loves her, tells me she's a sweet girl, smart girl, etc. I don't like the woman, but then I don't have to....Gretchen needs to like her. I find her patronizing - yuck! But oh well.......

Last week, SBJ couldn't sleep due to fires. I'm just not sleeping well - no good reason. OK, hubby snores, but he always does. I have "busy brain" - can't shut it off. Guess I'm worrying about things I have no control over. sigh......

Love the stories about grandchildren! Y'all need to put them together and write a book!

I just need to paint. that fixes almost everything! :p
Happy week to all - and health, too - Kristen

Kitty Wallis
07-13-2004, 10:33 PM
Thank you for all my birthday wishes. I loved getting them.

I went to breakfast with a dear friend. When the waiter brought my desert treat, boysenberry po' d' creme (sp?) with a candle in it, a guy across the room began to sing happy birthday. He motioned for the rest of the customers to join in, and finished the seranade, singing 'happy birthday lady in the corner' ...A sweet thing to do.

Then another friend took me to the plant store to pick out my present. I got something I've been wanting a long time, a dark purple rhododendron, the old-fashioned kind that grows big.

A good day.

Wish I didn't have jury duty tomorrow.

binkie
07-14-2004, 12:42 AM
Kitty,

Mikki Petersen
07-14-2004, 01:53 AM
Happy Birthday, Kitty! I'm happy to hear your special day was filled with good things.

Happy Birthday also to Deborah's son. Take heart on the contact lens thing... first timers invariably mess up one or the other or both. His eyes will adjust and he will adjust to handling them and if you are both liucky, he will remember to wash his hands before touching them so he does not get conjunctivitis :rolleyes: . It's worth the struggle if for no other reason than being able to buy sunglasses off the rack. Just remember, they must come out before swimming or bathing or they float away.

Annette, you and hubby make a handsome couple and the boat and the day look great, too.

Mary, your flowers are gorgeous and I love your gladiola set up! Can't wait to see what you and/or Judy do with it. I've stopped the feeding schedule, but I sort of miss the company :(

Not to rub it in, but...the last few nights have been the best sleeping I've had since I was about 45. New research has proven that HRT (hormone replacement therapy for you younglings), is quite dangerous for diabetic women causing a dramatically increased risk of clogged arteries. My physician convinced me to try stopping HRT now that menopause is behind me. I was very reluctant so she gave me a scrip for a lower dosage if I started having problems. I've been off the therapy for about two weeks and suddenly, I'm sleeping like a kid again! This makes for a much happier me! Yeah, I'm sweating like an athlete, but I'm so rested I can deal with it! Mind you, my retired police sargeant does not get middle of the night emergency calls any more :clap: :clap: :clap: and since he lost 50 pounds, he no longer snores...

Kat and I had a discussion in last week's scumble about glassine envelopes for pastel artwork and we both went out and searched the net and came back with some sources. I placed an order Sunday night to American Kelco and it was waiting on my porch when we got back from taking the grandsons home to their respective families. How's that for service? This company makes envelopes of any type and size and does NOT require a minimum order!
I purchased 20 each in five different sizes and the cost, including postage came to 53 cents each. They have a resealable adhesive strip on the flap. Only drawback is, like Kat, I would have preferred a side opening and these have a top opening but they are SO much easier to use than a roll of glassine!

Oh yeah! Did you catch the part about taking the grandkids back to their parents??? WE ARE ALONE!!!!! :clap: and it's awfully quiet around here... :crying:

skintone
07-14-2004, 09:05 AM
Wow!!!

I leave for 3 months and everything has changed around here. What happened? I have to learn WC all over again. Well it's good to see that we have grown.

Can't wait to see all of the new art. I just popped in to say hi. I haven't been painting much lately. :( Got a new hobby; dancing!

Finally picked up my pastels a week ago. I've been working on a seascape. I know I can't believe it either. Anyway can't wait to show you guys.

Kathryn Wilson
07-14-2004, 09:50 AM
I leave for 3 months and everything has changed around here. What happened? I have to learn WC all over again. Well it's good to see that we have grown.

Finally picked up my pastels a week ago. I've been working on a seascape. I know I can't believe it either. Anyway can't wait to show you guys.

Welcome back! We've missed you - can't wait to see what you've been doing. :D

paloma
07-14-2004, 09:56 AM
Happy Birthday kitty- even if it is belated. Cheers., Alexandra

Maggie P
07-14-2004, 11:41 AM
Every time I'm away for a while and come back it's like reading a novel to catch up with you all. It's great to see what everyone's been up to. But reading three weeks of threads in the soft pastel studio would wear a person out!

I'm home for three weeks now. Then I go to Fort Worth (in August!) for a wedding, then maybe to Los Angeles to teach a workshop. Still waiting for two more people to sign up and make that workshop a go. I love teaching but if it doesn't go I won't mind the week at home, since I teach in Santa Fe at the art expo just a week or so after that.

Kitty, belated Happy Birthday! Have a great week, everyone!

Deborah Secor
07-14-2004, 12:36 PM
Glad to see you back here, Maggie... ;)

Hey, skintone, good to see you too! Looking forward to seeing new work from you. How do you like the new place? We painted and added a little wallpaper... :cool:

Thanks for the birthday wishes for my son--and contact lens advice from everyone. It'll work out in time, I think, but yesterday it was so weird because he had one brand in his right eye and a different brand in his left eye. They're different strengths, too. His right one felt good, he could see clearly, had no problems putting it in or taking it out. His left one was blurry for all three hours (he didn't really wear it all day--they said three-four hours a day at first) and he could feel it in there. He had a really hard time getting it out--had to peel it away! Very nasty to watch! :eek: Fortunately the nurse gave us a lens for his left eye that's the same brand as the one he had in his right eye, so today he'll try that one. The eye doc was very thorough and rechecked both the prescription and the lens, which he said was correct, but I wonder if somehow the lens itself was faulty anyway. Well, today will tell the tale. (Does he have to remove the contacts to take a shower? Hmmmmm....)

Mikki, enjoy the quiet--but I bet you'll miss those kids too! The proverbial mixed blessing...

Kristen, I hope things work out for Gretchen with this therapist. Fifteen isn't an easy age--for teens or parents.

Kathy, you had rain? You are so blessed! We had a few spatters, just enough to make the car's windshield all spotty and dirty. How do you like that? Rain that makes things dirty! Only in the desert.

On to start my day! Have a good one, everyone.
Deborah

Dark_Shades
07-14-2004, 05:44 PM
Hey........ Belated Birthday Wishes to Kitty.... and Dee's Son ..... and guess what..... was my Son's 21st on the 13th July too :)

...... Ive changed this to a dollar sign for you guys ..... lolol, now no shouting out the answers.....
hope you enjoy the headache ;) :evil: :D

Three men go to a restaurant and are given a bill of $45, each one pays $15

Manager realises bill is in fact $40, and gives the waiter $5 to return to the men

The waiter decides to make things easy and gives them $1 back each and puts $2 in his pocket

This means the men have paid $14 each (which = $42), the waiter has $2 in his pocket.

What has happened to the other Dollar?

Khadres
07-14-2004, 06:11 PM
Hey........ Belated Birthday Wishes to Kitty.... and Dee's Son ..... and guess what..... was my Son's 21st on the 13th July too :)

...... Ive changed this to a dollar sign for you guys ..... lolol, now no shouting out the answers.....
hope you enjoy the headache ;) :evil: :D

Three men go to a restaurant and are given a bill of $45, each one pays $15

Manager realises bill is in fact $40, and gives the waiter $5 to return to the men

The waiter decides to make things easy and gives them $1 back each and puts $2 in his pocket

This means the men have paid $14 each (which = $42), the waiter has $2 in his pocket.

What has happened to the other Dollar?

Oh, heavens! This is a variation of a puzzle my dad used to drive us all crazy! And I ALWAYS forget what the sneaky solution is, too! Glad to see it again...I could never remember just how it goes...

DominicM
07-14-2004, 08:33 PM
Its in my pocket.. .. I wish... just had to spend $400 on the car.. :crying:

1mpete, glad you are sleeping better, think I need number for Insomniacs Anonymous, cant sleep at the minute due to the weather here.

K Taylor-Green
07-14-2004, 10:53 PM
Glad to see you back here, Maggie... ;)

Hey, skintone, good to see you too! Looking forward to seeing new work from you. How do you like the new place? We painted and added a little wallpaper... :cool:

Thanks for the birthday wishes for my son--and contact lens advice from everyone. It'll work out in time, I think, but yesterday it was so weird because he had one brand in his right eye and a different brand in his left eye. They're different strengths, too. His right one felt good, he could see clearly, had no problems putting it in or taking it out. His left one was blurry for all three hours (he didn't really wear it all day--they said three-four hours a day at first) and he could feel it in there. He had a really hard time getting it out--had to peel it away! Very nasty to watch! :eek: Fortunately the nurse gave us a lens for his left eye that's the same brand as the one he had in his right eye, so today he'll try that one. The eye doc was very thorough and rechecked both the prescription and the lens, which he said was correct, but I wonder if somehow the lens itself was faulty anyway. Well, today will tell the tale. (Does he have to remove the contacts to take a shower? Hmmmmm....)

Mikki, enjoy the quiet--but I bet you'll miss those kids too! The proverbial mixed blessing...

Kristen, I hope things work out for Gretchen with this therapist. Fifteen isn't an easy age--for teens or parents.

Kathy, you had rain? You are so blessed! We had a few spatters, just enough to make the car's windshield all spotty and dirty. How do you like that? Rain that makes things dirty! Only in the desert.

On to start my day! Have a good one, everyone.
Deborah

I've been wearing contacts for 32 years, from the hard variety, to semi rigid, to soft. They make 2 kinds of soft ones. One is daily wear. You put them in every morning and take them out again every night. I'm pretty sure this is what they start young people out on, my daughter started with these. Yes, he can shower with them, just not let the water beat in his face with his eyes wide open!! The other soft one is extended wear, for old hands at wearing lenses, and don't want the hassle of nightly removal. I have extended wear throw-aways. I wear a pair for two weeks, night and day, then pitch them for a new pair.
I was in my early 40's when I got my extended wears. For the first time in my life, I could roll over in bed and see the time on the clock on the other side of the room! A revelation!! :D

Deborah Secor
07-15-2004, 03:09 AM
Dawn, it looks to me like they paid $42 for the meal + the $3 = $45.

Yep, Kate, my son has the daily wear kind. He takes them out at night. He tried the other variety in his left eye today and it was far better--and they said they may last as long as a month (sure hope so--they aren't cheap--especially with different prescriptions for each eye!)

Deborah

cjkelly
07-15-2004, 03:29 AM
Ok - if the bill was in fact only $40 as the manager realizes, and if the three men split equally, it would have cost them $13.33 each.
Give them back $1 each - they have then actually paid $14.33 each. $14.33 x 3 men = $42.99. So in fact there is only a .01c difference and you can put that down to rounding!! :D

cj

Ruth Grinstead
07-15-2004, 08:00 AM
Hi All

I popped in as therapy as I am struggling to concentrate on anything. I figure if I blurb it all out somewhere it might help.

Three days from now I shall be off on my big adventure. A 5 days life drawing and painting course in London. It all seemed very rational when I booked, but in all honesty I have only just started drawing more than a line to represent the horizon and as for people I always swore they wouldn't feature more than minutely in anything I painted. Now I have to try to draw people in time spans as short as 30 seconds, I shall be lucky if I get a mark on the paper in that time :D .

I have 2 large bags full of everything I could draw or paint with and a small bag for clothes as it is supposed to be summer. It feels more like autumn so I may have to take a bigger bag of clothes.

The most scarey bit though is doing it all alone. I can't remember the last time that I had more than a couple of hours alone and it has always been at home, which was safe and comfortable.

Anyway I feel quite out of my depth at present, I just hope I feel better when Monday gets underway.

Ruth

K Taylor-Green
07-15-2004, 11:51 AM
Hi All

I popped in as therapy as I am struggling to concentrate on anything. I figure if I blurb it all out somewhere it might help.

Three days from now I shall be off on my big adventure. A 5 days life drawing and painting course in London. It all seemed very rational when I booked, but in all honesty I have only just started drawing more than a line to represent the horizon and as for people I always swore they wouldn't feature more than minutely in anything I painted. Now I have to try to draw people in time spans as short as 30 seconds, I shall be lucky if I get a mark on the paper in that time :D .

I have 2 large bags full of everything I could draw or paint with and a small bag for clothes as it is supposed to be summer. It feels more like autumn so I may have to take a bigger bag of clothes.

The most scarey bit though is doing it all alone. I can't remember the last time that I had more than a couple of hours alone and it has always been at home, which was safe and comfortable.

Anyway I feel quite out of my depth at present, I just hope I feel better when Monday gets underway.

Ruth

Ruth, How great for you!! I would be nervous,too. But a workshop is for learning, and everyone else is there to learn also. Hey, all you can do in 30 seconds is a general outline, called a gestural drawing, anyway!! You'll come home with new experiences to share, new knowledge, and be one more notch
up, in the confidence department. Just have fun!!

Mikki Petersen
07-15-2004, 02:37 PM
Ruth, that's such exciting news. You will do fine once you get there and just think of all you will learn! What made you decide on a life drawing class? I've always heard that is a great way to beef up your observation skills and your drawing skills. Will look forward to your report after the class.

Deborah Secor
07-15-2004, 02:48 PM
Ruth, it looks to me like you have your priorities right--two bags of art supplies versus one of clothing! :D

Getting out of our comfort zone invariably requires learning, which is scary--yet in a positive way. Those butterflies in the stomach feel like fear and excitement all at once, and make me wonder if I'm sane. But I come back with a little bit of something I didn't have before going, which makes it all worth it. You'll no doubt learn some wonderful things! Hang in there.

And Kate is so right--gestural drawing is very freeing since you can't 'fail'! There isn't time to make it perfect! So have some fun there...

Deborah

Ruth Grinstead
07-15-2004, 03:10 PM
Thanks Kate, Mikki and Deborah

I knew I would feel a bit better when I got it off my chest.

Mikki - life drawing because I had finally won agreement on the home front that I could take a course and I had just done the June Figure Challenge and enjoyed it. So when I bought a magazine and saw an editorial for Life Drawing classes it seemed like a sign and I put my name down before anyone could change their mind about me going :D .

If I was booking now I would probably have tried to find a pastel workshop, but I know the tutor does use pastels in her work so I am taking mine with me.

I won't be too far from where my unison pastels came from so I will probably have more luggage on the way home :clap: .

Ruth

Kitty Wallis
07-15-2004, 06:26 PM
You have some good advice here. I'll just add this.

If you can find the book, 'The Natural Way to Draw' by Nicholaides, read the first few pages in the first two chapters. He writes eloquently about what gesture and contour drawing are and why they work so well in the study of drawing. I've taught classes using this book as a text book. I believe it's the best. People made big strides after they got over the feeling of confusion. :D

My stroke is mostly about gesture and contour drawing, I very rarely 'draw' the form, meaning that tense, controled technique we normally associate with drawing. I credit my time doing life drawing.

So when I bought a magazine and saw an editorial for Life Drawing classes it seemed like a sign and I put my name down before anyone could change their mind about me going :D .
Ruth

Khadres
07-15-2004, 06:55 PM
Ok - if the bill was in fact only $40 as the manager realizes, and if the three men split equally, it would have cost them $13.33 each.
Give them back $1 each - they have then actually paid $14.33 each. $14.33 x 3 men = $42.99. So in fact there is only a .01c difference and you can put that down to rounding!! :D

cj

Yikes!!!! You guys' math is worse than MINE! LOL OMG!!!! I didn't think that was possible! Check the ORDER of that transaction...see something weird there?

I think the answer's about right, but the dollar back each isn't out of the $40 but the $45. Ah, well, word problems are the worst anyway.

Deborah Secor
07-15-2004, 07:23 PM
Tell us your answer then, sooz! And explain how ya got there... ;)

As I said, it looks to me like they paid $40 for the meal, and $2 involuntarily to the waiter (a terrible tip--but then the man is a thief! However, he apparently thought they were going to stiff him, so it's hard to assign blame), plus the $3 back, and you have $45...

You could do all that division, I suppose, but I find it too confusing and they aren't asking how much each guy paid, just about that dollar. So I'll just add.

Have I gone wrong??? :confused: Math was never my strong suit. :eek: Let me paint a picture for ya... :D

Deborah

Khadres
07-16-2004, 12:22 AM
No, that is a much more reasonable explanation...or way of getting at it anyway. The original puzzle plays on the confusion created in a seemingly simple situation, purposely tripping you up with stuff that doesn't really matter and sort of guiding you down the wrong path.

My head was spinning with cj's method of giving a buck apiece back from the $40 tab....altho I doubt she meant it that way. But like all word problems in math a LOT depends on the order you put things in...oddly enough I usually got word problems right....it was all those negative numbers and a, x, y's and to the nth powers that got to me. LOL What the HECK was a "y" anyway???

cjkelly
07-16-2004, 12:34 AM
Lol - Sooz I'm not even sure I know what I meant!
How's this for obsession though - I did a seach on Google using "what happened to the missing dollar" and the answer is out there!! Yay! I can continue with my day with a clear head. :D
So the Manager has his $40 (the tab)
The 3 men have their $3 each.
The waiter has his $2.
There is no missing dollar - it's all the comparisons, and the telling. Sooz your instinct was pretty close!
Think I'd rather draw a picture too Dee!

cj

Kitty Wallis
07-16-2004, 02:10 AM
OK now that we've solved the $$ issue....Lets get on to the real stuff, the drama of Life!

Whaaaa... I didn't get into the Symphony chorus I didn't get chosen, they rejected me! :crying:

I think I'll quit singing. I can't sing with the group I want.

Ruth Grinstead
07-16-2004, 03:09 AM
You have some good advice here. I'll just add this.

If you can find the book, 'The Natural Way to Draw' by Nicholaides, read the first few pages in the first two chapters. He writes eloquently about what gesture and contour drawing are and why they work so well in the study of drawing. I've taught classes using this book as a text book. I believe it's the best. People made big strides after they got over the feeling of confusion. :D

My stroke is mostly about gesture and contour drawing, I very rarely 'draw' the form, meaning that tense, controled technique we normally associate with drawing. I credit my time doing life drawing.

Thank you for the advice Kitty I am doing my last minute shopping today so will hunt out a copy of the Nicholaides book either in the library or a shop.

I am really sorry that you didn't get a place in the Symphony chorus. Don't give up singing though, that would seem a great pity.

Ruth

Mikki Petersen
07-16-2004, 04:49 AM
Okay...if you all are going to turn mathematical on me, I'm going back to the watercolor forum! Knock it off! This is about ART, creative, spontaneous ART...not computations. That whole thing sounds like every business lunch tab ever paid. It always gets messed up, so forget about it!

It feels so good to be painting and getting my fingers all dirty again. Hubby took me on a scenic drive and out ot a very nice dinner and all I wanted to do was get home to my pastels and begin the next painting.

By the way, I've packaged a number of my pastel paintings in the cello envelopes I just got and they work like a charm! I feel so much better not having to peel away glassine to show people my paintings.

Kathryn Wilson
07-16-2004, 09:08 AM
Awwww, Kitty, sorry about that - sing for us? :music: :music:

By the way, I've packaged a number of my pastel paintings in the cello envelopes I just got and they work like a charm! I feel so much better not having to peel away glassine to show people my paintings.

Mikki - so you prefer the cello envelopes over the glassine envelopes? And there is no pastel sticking to the cello - how about if there is something pressing on top, like they would be if they are packaged or a bunch put together for storage?

SweetBabyJ
07-16-2004, 09:15 AM
OK now that we've solved the $$ issue....Lets get on to the real stuff, the drama of Life!

Whaaaa... I didn't get into the Symphony chorus I didn't get chosen, they rejected me! :crying:

I think I'll quit singing. I can't sing with the group I want.

Well damn! That's a bummer and a letdown.

I'm trying to think of something cynical and somewhat humorous to mitigate the sting some, but apparently it's far too early here- best I can do is some odd pun about singing in the confession sense, and that ain't working, so you have my empathy, Kitty.

Ha! Wait! Did you tell them you now come with your own tuning fork (knees)? hahahaha! Helluva deal. :D (You knew I wouldn't let you down, right?)

E-J
07-16-2004, 09:19 AM
Kitty, a belated HAPPY BIRTHDAY to the lady in the corner :D

Deborah, your son should take out his lenses when he showers as the water could cause an eye infection. It takes a little time to get used to contacts but they are so convenient! I used to have pretty severe 'eyeball squeamishness' but that disappeared quickly once I started regularly fishing around in my eyes for lenses ... sometimes forgetting that I wasn't actually wearing them :rolleyes: :)

Ruth, enjoy the adventure! :clap:

Dark_Shades
07-16-2004, 10:47 AM
The original puzzle plays on the confusion created in a seemingly simple situation, purposely tripping you up with stuff that doesn't really matter and sort of guiding you down the wrong path.

Exactly!! :evil: :D
*giggles...... you guys made me laugh :)

... there is no missing dollar....

3 Customers paid x 14.00 = 42.00
Less 2.00 the waiter took 2.00-
= 40.00 .... (which is the total of the bill)

chewie
07-16-2004, 11:59 AM
what is going on here? i'm gone for a coupla weeks and kitty's singing (or not) and the rest of ya's doing math problems? what? geesh!

went to dawson's workshop, what a great time. learned bunches, had enough belly laughs to feel as if i'd taken up doing sit ups (hahaha, now THAT'S funny!!) and am anxious to hole up for the next several weeks practicing what he preached. its blistering hot here too, so all the better!

i am not even gonna try to catch up on all the last 2 weeks' worth here, but hoping you all are well, and this math buz has gotta stop!! later!

bnoonan
07-16-2004, 12:02 PM
Dropping in late to realize it's now Math Talk. Just when I thought I was in the correct forum.

Looks like everyone is doing well.

I'm up to my eyeballs in projects including a show for the San Francisco Women Artists that is going to be hung tomorrow. It's been a challenge and a great learning adventure and yet the hard part begins in the morning.

Enjoy the weekend everyone.

Barb

Mary Robinson
07-16-2004, 12:44 PM
Woo hoo the in-laws are back in their cages, I'm free, I'm free.... :D .

There have been a few new developments, the hubby had discussed retiring to Costa Rica, so while I was doing research I happened upon 100 plus species of snakes, a few huge spiders, bullet and army ants with the adviso that he wear long pants, long sleeves and boots, well that did it for him, but I just had to mention the typhoid, malaria, hepititis A and B just in case he changed his mind again. But I'm safe now, Costa Rica is out, Kingman Arizona is in (Waving :clap: to my almost new neighbors Deborah and Maggie). We've also decided on some major life changes within the next year. My husband works for a factory he hates his job. He was laid off for 4 years and started driving truck across country as a means of supporting himself and he loved doing it, so......We've decided to chuck it all, buy land in the Kingman area with the profits of the sale of the house and go on the road for a few years. Yes, little 5'0" me is gonna learn to drive a big rig :D . I'll honk as I'm driving by. We'll be going early next year. I'll be using a laptop so I can keep in touch and I've discovered a way to bring my pastels with me :D , the pencils anyway. I'll be doing small pieces in pastel pencil or watercolor and pastel pencil, Dakota Arts has a portfolio on sale for pastelists, differing sizes and reasonably priced so I can keep my work until I have the opportunity to drop it off at, where else but the in-laws :evil: (payback is nice, isn't it?). Over the next few years I'll be dropping a few $$ here and there into a secret slush fund for workshops, look out Maggie and Deborah, here I come..... As for me, this is just another adventure, I've been moving since I was 2 years old, every 3/4 years or so, all over the world. Once we settle in the Kingman area, I will 106 miles from Las Vegas and Dick Blick :evil:, I've told the hubby I will drop him off at the Casino and see him when I've run out of money, lol.

And here, stonewhiteclown, this one is especially for you, it measures almost 8 inches across, it opened late yesterday. Feel free to use it if you like.

Mary

Dark_Shades
07-16-2004, 01:31 PM
WOW... AKA..... how exciting is that!! :eek: :clap:
I get worried if I move jobs.... ha ha ha..... Wish you all the very best in your travels and adventures.... will look forward to updates

lovely photo too

meowmeow
07-16-2004, 01:48 PM
IT sounds like you had a lovely birthday, Kitty. Yeah, jury duty is a pain...but really, I know someone has to do it and better people with some brains! :D

I know I havent' been around much and things are going to get even busier now. Tomorrow one of my daughter's friends is giving her a little shower here at our house. She is doing all the work but of course the house has to be somewhat presentable! :D ANd then we are having the carpeting removed and some wood floors put down in the hallway, living room and breezeway next week....sooooo....since my computer is here in the breezeway, I will be disconnected probably Sunday night, maybe Monday morning. Ouch! And I am frantically trying to print out new cards and prints for my next show, which is next weekend. Supposedy the work will only take a couple of days but I have to be prepared for it taking longer of course. I don't know how long I will be out of commission...I'll probably use hubby's computer to check up on you guys but I know I wont be around much. BEsides, the house will be such a mess I won't want to be here.
But...it will be nice when it is done. Hubby suddenly decided all this has to be done by the wedding! Oi! That's 7 weeks away! Hard to believe after all this planning.
ANyhow, I hope everyone stays well and paints great stuff. See you when I see you!!!!

Kathryn Wilson
07-16-2004, 03:00 PM
Wow, Mary - big life changes! The travel sounds wonderful - I've threatened my hubby with a life change like that - sell the house, get a camper, travel for a few years around the country to see everything and find a place we want to retire to.

Maybe we can wave to each other on the road - :D . Ha, I could visit all my WC friends for a few painting days too!

Durn, you got me thinking again - :evil:

Dark_Shades
07-16-2004, 03:32 PM
:eek: Martha Stewart jailed for five months :evil: :)

Khadres
07-16-2004, 04:58 PM

She'll likely be dead of old age first! By the time the appeals process is done, she'll likely get off with nothing more than a smack on the behind. And the fine is a joke....I bet she spends more than $30k on cut flowers each year! All these corporate crooks get away with murder anyway. Just shoplift a loaf of bread, however, and.....

DominicM
07-16-2004, 06:00 PM

Martha who.. is she suposed to be important - don't think I have ever heard of her...

Dark_Shades
07-16-2004, 07:14 PM
Lol Sooz.... Dominic......

was thinking, she will make her cell wonderfully homely.... so no worries

Mikki Petersen
07-16-2004, 07:41 PM
What is it about this woman that inspires so much hostility? She's a twit, I admit, but geesh! People get so emotional about her...

Kitty, I was sorry to read that you did not get selected for the choir. What a rich experience that would have been. Take heart in knowing you were good enough to try out. They would have paid me to keep quiet :D .

Mary, what fun! I grew up traveling as you did and I get wanderlust easily. John and I discussed doing the team trucking. We both love to drive and to find ourselves in new places, but my balance disorder nixed that one. Last year when we were looking for a new home, we talked about being full-time RV'ers, even did some serious planning...but John decided he needs a place to come home to, so...

Hey, Barb! Where is the show? San Francisco has to be cooler than it is here. Maybe we'll come down and browse the show.

Mikki Petersen
07-16-2004, 07:44 PM
Awwww, Kitty, sorry about that - sing for us? :music: :music:

Mikki - so you prefer the cello envelopes over the glassine envelopes? And there is no pastel sticking to the cello - how about if there is something pressing on top, like they would be if they are packaged or a bunch put together for storage?

Kat, I don't know how they will perform over time, but they have no static cling and are strong enough to withstand a little stress. I do like the look of them over the glassine because they are completely clear.

Mary Robinson
07-16-2004, 07:47 PM
Not to worry, Mikki, I'll take lots of pics and will post them as I can, so you all can ride along with me.

Mary

CarlyHardy
07-16-2004, 07:58 PM
Wow....lots of stuff to read about this week....and math to do :D Perceived truth and actual truth can be two different things, it seems. Those guys still paid $40 for the meal :D

Kitty, a belated birthday wish from me, but a warm one! And don't feel bad about the audition....I promise if I ever do make it out to Portland again, we'll go and sing karoke together! :music: :music: :eek: :music:

I had a good day today....took my oil pastels by Binders and showed them to the lady in charge of classes and shows. She loved them and we're setting up a Saturday workshop for the fall!!

My daughter will be turning 23 next week....I told her that she should give me a gift for her birthday!!! :D

Hope everyone has a great weekend!!
carly

Dark_Shades
07-16-2004, 08:54 PM
What is it about this woman that inspires so much hostility? She's a twit, I admit, but geesh! People get so emotional about her...

Good point there Mikki..... I dont think we know her over here..... its just what I pick up from my American Friends.....

All I know is she makes things lol

Anyone want to elaborate?

Kathryn Wilson
07-16-2004, 10:14 PM
Kat, I don't know how they will perform over time, but they have no static cling and are strong enough to withstand a little stress. I do like the look of them over the glassine because they are completely clear.

Thanks for letting me know Mikki - I need to put in an order! So nice to get an opinion beforehand tho'.

stonewhiteclown
07-17-2004, 11:04 AM
And here, stonewhiteclown, this one is especially for you, it measures almost 8 inches across, it opened late yesterday. Feel free to use it if you like.
Thanks, Mary, it's gorgeous! We used to have massive sunflower oil industry here, but where're those sunflowers when you need them!
Have happy adventure! Looks like you have half a year for preparations though :D

Khadres
07-17-2004, 03:02 PM
Well, there's nothing really wrong with Martha -- or Barfa as we call her around here -- Stewart except that she's notoriously arrogant and supposedly hell to work for or with. She's the American home-made diva who would shriek and die if she were ever forced to cook with margarine instead of fresh unsalted butter and spends uncounted hours raising her own bees for her own honey while also weaving her own rugs and managing a garden roughly the size of Manhattan. I think there's a bit of resentment on the average housewife's part due to the fact that, while we all have to keep house and cook on a budget, she blithely preaches to us via her tv program that only the best will do. She struts about a perfectly appointed manse that is always perfectly spotless and up to date, and you never catch ole Barfa washing a dish...much less a toilet. While the average working housewife is lucky to fit a four minute shower into her daily grind of job, child care, cooking, and cleaning, Barfa has been making her own champagne dinner place mats from Valencia lace imported from Europe.

She basically pulled a shady caper on the stock market...they couldn't quite pin that on her...tho it was pretty clear that she did do it, but they DID get her for flat out lying about it to federal investigators. BTW, good ole Barfa's only worth a cool billion bucks or so, ...that's right...spell it with a "b" although her wealth has "suffered" some setbacks due to this scandal. I think she is probably being held up as an example, showing us that big wigs CAN be made to pay for their sins, but she's nothing compared to the Enron execs, etc.

Now, to more important stuff...Kitty, they must be nuts for not picking you for their choir! Altho I have NO idea how you'd fit such a thing into your busy schedule, I'm sure you'd have improved their performances no end!

Happy birthdays to everyone's children and glad everyone seems to be perking along fairly well for a change. We're so soggy from all the catch-up rain around here that MUSHROOMS are actually sprouting in the yard...I figure when they start sprouting indoors, I'm moving!

Mikki Petersen
07-17-2004, 03:27 PM
Sooz, that was a wonderfully stated explanation of Martha Stewart, exactly how I feel about her, but it does not explain why so many women follow her. AFter all, she wouldn't have that billion dollars if nobody bought her act. As for getting caught...I guess my hostilities are colled way down by the fact that she is getting stomped on and "made an example of" while the big boys at Enron are walking away. Irks my sense of justice a bit.

BTW, a few mushrooms would be a welcome sight around here about now. We have been at "Extreme" fire alert since the end of May it's so dry here.

DGrau
07-17-2004, 08:15 PM

Dark_Shades
07-17-2004, 08:25 PM
lolol Thanks Sooz ....... the perfect woman huh? :)

....... lol David.... glad you enjoyed ;) ..... ha ha, I saw you... hee hee

***Bugle Call ......
Now I have your attention...... just thought would let you know, thinking of perhaps if there is enough interest to make a Pastel Painters WebRing ..... so if you havent a Web Site.... darn well make one lol .... and quick!

.... its all Free ..... see my signature

PS..... Im promoting you guyz as best on the Net :eek: :D

DGrau
07-17-2004, 08:42 PM
....... lol David.... glad you enjoyed ..... ha ha, I saw you... hee hee

OH MANNNnnnnnn!!!!! Got caught by a sneak peek :o
(Laughing)
D.

Mikki Petersen
07-17-2004, 09:13 PM
Okay...what exactly is a web ring? I have a website and I'd be happy to join this ring if I knew wat it was...

Khadres
07-18-2004, 02:39 PM
I'm sure you all remember that I've had some worries lately...
So I didn't sleep well last night and was late getting up this morning...hubby's due back from Oregon today and I have tons to do. But anyway, the dogs kept barking up a storm in the window so I got up and looked out side from my computer room and there looked like well...one, two, three police cars parked in front of our house and it took me a minute to figure out what the one said on the side of it....when I finally made out "Chaplain" I think I came as close to a heart attack as I ever want to get. I'm sure y'all would've thought the same thing as I did as I struggled into some clothes and crept downstairs to the door.

Anyway, when I went out on the porch I saw a police hearse parked in the neighbor's driveway and there were people quietly standing around in bunches in the street. I don't know any details...I didn't want to intrude since I didn't get to know these neighbors well, etc. but a cop came over and said someone there had died. He noticed the look on my face and said, no, no, they weren't waiting for me to come out, this had to do with the neighbors...I think he could tell I was about to faint at that point.

It's taken me an hour to quit shaking! WHAT a way to start a Sunday morning! But when things calm down I'll see about going over to see if there's anything I can do. But, thank God....awful as it sounds...thank God they weren't here to talk to me....

Kathryn Wilson
07-18-2004, 03:08 PM
Sooz - you need a great big {{{{{HUG}}}} this morning. I can imagine what you were thinking knowing your situation. :(

DominicM
07-18-2004, 03:22 PM
Sooz,

Will pray for traveling mercies for hubby on way home and for spiritual protection for you and family, you sure seem to be under attack lately.

Please also accept a long distance cyber hug.

Khadres
07-18-2004, 03:25 PM
Thanks, Dominic and Kat! I just feel so awful that I never got to even meet these people...the house just changed hands again a month or so ago and I never seemed to see anyone out to introduce myself to. It's so sad that we all live so close together but know nothing about each other anymore.

Anyway, I think I've had my cardiac "workout" for the day...

Khadres
07-18-2004, 03:33 PM
Okay...what exactly is a web ring? I have a website and I'd be happy to join this ring if I knew wat it was...

A webring is a group of related websites...usually tied by topic...that are linked together so that a person looking for info on a given topic can just go from one to the other and stay on topic without having to search out each site separately. It also gives greater exposure to all since folks often hit a site they'd not find in a regular search these days. The one Dark Shades is building will link all us pastel members (that want to join the webring) so that someone looking at mine, say, can click on the webring icon and maybe wind up on yours next and so on...anyone looking for pastel art can surf the webring from pastel artist to pastel artist without Googling or whatever to do it. Neat tool.

Deborah Secor
07-18-2004, 04:07 PM
Here's a (((hug))) from me too, sooz! I hope your heart is back to normal now and all is better for you. I know that heart-shaking fear and it isn't fun.

I may have to join this new web-ring too--but today I'm finishing--*note to self: FINISHING--the article and sending it off so that I'll be free. :music: Well, free to go over and help my mom tomorrow, as usual...but not getting swollen feet from sitting at the computer for too long in this HEAT!

Deborah

Mikki Petersen
07-18-2004, 04:36 PM
Oh, Sooz! What a terrible experience! You get my {{{HUG}}}, too. It's funny about neighbors...when we lived in the city, we never really got to know anyone. Now that everyone in our area is separated by several acres, we know our neighbors. There are regular community events to draw everyone together and a real sense of belonging and we've only been here a year. I guess it has to do with being 30 minutes away from civilization...we all need each other up here on the hill.

Deborah, good luck finishing up that article. What is it about hot weather that makes feet and ankles swell. I don't have this problem when it's cool.

Today is another indoor painting day for me. I have so many great subjects to paint now that I can't crank them out fast enough. Then hubby took me on a photo drive in the Sierras the other day and I got even more stuff to work with... and now I have to go back and re-align my Crater Lake painting before I move on. Funny, I really liked that painting until Deborah showed me how misaligned it was. Now it's bugging the heck out of me.

Happy Sunday/Monday to everyone. And Sooz, be extra good to yourself today!

Khadres
07-19-2004, 12:39 AM
Thanks, all! I knew you'd know what I was talking about when I said I was afraid. Mothers know ALL about that sooner or later.

Luck, Deborah, on that article! You deserve a break!

Good on all the reference stuff, 1mpete! Can never have enough stuff to inspire ya and don't be too hard on yourself about the Crater Lake ptg....I didn't notice the problem either. We really NEED Deborah and Jackie to be around to point out our little goofs....lots of times we know there's something not just right, but it takes a trained eye to spot it. You'll fix that one, no problem and it'll be lovelier still.

Hubby's home with lots of mother-in-law tales; at least he did get a little bit of a vacation out of it, but he's exhausted enough from the trip that he'll need to go back to work to rest up from THAT!

Looks like a hot week ahead here, too. Still more humid than usual, too, so I've lined up my water pills ahead of time, cause I know I'll need 'em! Since I broke both legs a few years back, I've developed a propensity for cellulitis (infection of the sub structure of the skin...NOT fun) in both legs and if I let them swell in hot weather I'm a sittin' duck for getting that again. Yick.

Here's to a new week ahead....full of great art for all of us!