Dimension: 10x11
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I'mtrying to paint looser

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
please comment and critique

Dana Design
07-12-2004, 12:40 AM
Joe, this portrait is very well done. The eyes are a bit scary and penetrating.

The looseness is certainly there and the palette is a palette I'd like to build upon for portraits. The face is so well done but it appears that the eyes are not quite finished. So much detail and color whereas the eyes seem vacant...a lack of definition, somehow. However, I read anger in this.

Artistanne
07-12-2004, 10:18 AM
I LOVE the palette and the looseness of this, it's fantastic. I agree about the eyes, just a hint of iris and a highlight on each will tie this one up. GREAT work!

Lbones
07-12-2004, 11:57 AM
I agree that the pallet is wonderful, the eyes need to be defined and I would add a little more to the right ear. Nice work. :cool:

Lbones

NHyde
07-12-2004, 12:17 PM
Whoa! Well, everyone's got a "crazy uncle" like this guy. This is the look he gives you over the Thanksgiving turkey when the last drumstick is up for grabs. Youch! :D

Beautifully rendered and very intense.

Cheers eh,
Nicole

Gilberte
07-12-2004, 03:41 PM
Yes please Joe, do something to his eyes and a touch of something on "his" right ear ....... Thanks for posting an challenging work ...

dornberg
07-13-2004, 06:55 PM
warmth easily portayed

haaf
07-13-2004, 07:10 PM
he looks exactly like an evil character from the Blake and Mortimer comic stripbooks. Besides this, it's very well done effortless
Caroline ;)

Matt Sammekull
07-13-2004, 07:14 PM
Hi Joe.

Isn't it hard to "loosen" up? I've tried now for a year and still I haven't found what I'm looking for... all good things for those who paint right?

I like this portrait, mostly because of the mans intense look. Sure. you could do as folks suggested and work some with the eyes and ear... It's so easy to forget basic things when one is trying out a new style/manner, but still we can't, we mustn't forget the fundamentals, the planes of the face in this case. I'd try to define the facial planes even further, especially the planes around the nose...
And you added a whole bunch of color on his forehead (our left side) - where does this light come from? And shouldn't the rest of the left side also be hit by it? Or maybe tone down the forehead colors... the forehead is usually a pretty colorless and neutral area of the human face, just as the mouth barrel and chin.

All the best,

//Matt