GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Mr. Oaks Red Tree - Corryton
Year Created: 2004
Medium: Oil
Surface: Board
Dimension: 11x14
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I have been having many problems with some paints making me physically ill. Funny thing is, oil just squeezed from the tube does not bother me, but mediums do. So, I decided to go back to straight palette knife for awhile and see how that works. I'm kind of rusty with the knife, but it sure was nice not having to wash brushes!

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Is this still my style? (if I have one)
Too different?
Not enough atmosphere?

Michael-Ann
07-11-2004, 03:24 PM
OMG! Bobbi this is beautiful! I love every dabble of it - is there any word for a painter's version of a pool shark??? This just blows me away.

V-A
07-11-2004, 03:27 PM
Hey Bobbi! I havent been here in a while and you definately still have your own magnificent style! Dont change a thing (if you ask me), I love it! :)
Rock!

Mikey
07-11-2004, 04:18 PM
Oh Bobbi, all that fabulous red. It just lights the whole thing up.

Mikey

Gilberte
07-11-2004, 04:22 PM
It's just great Bobbi !
All those colors and a lot of depth !

Rabbit Twilight
07-11-2004, 09:08 PM
Many thanks....Michael-Ann, V-A, Mickey, and Gilberte.

When I came in from dinner, I looked at the painting across the room. It looks much harsher here in the digital shot. From a distance there's a softness to all those dabs.

roberj
07-11-2004, 09:41 PM
The sunlight is great in this one.

Bob

Paintonbrush
07-11-2004, 11:24 PM
wOWSER, This is beautiful, really, I've been watching your work and have to tell you that I am so impressed!!!!

Dana Design
07-12-2004, 12:48 AM
Ah, so very pretty! What a lovely view! The Hemerocallis are in bloom here and I see them in your foreground also. Perhaps not, but I'd like to believe that.

wolvenp
07-12-2004, 01:37 AM
Trees look very natural.

Bobbi,
Are you using Turpentine? I used it for a long time, even in a closed studio, thinking people were silly to talk of using turpenoid instead. It just had no adverse effect on me. Then, one day, it started to make me sick. Now, I am so averse to it, that a brief exposure makes me sick for 2 days with eyestrain, no energy, headaches, and just a miserable feeling. I have switched to using Gamsol, by Gamblin, and it gives me no problems. I suppose Turpenoid by Weber does the same thing. I recommend to anyone using turpentine to replace it with one of the above immediately. You may not think it is harming you, but I bet it is.

Artistanne
07-12-2004, 10:13 AM
Lovely work Bobbi!

I use Turpenoid and have recommended it to several artist friends who were having the same type of physical symptoms from Turpentine. They love it and they don't get sick from it. I think it takes awhile for it to build up in your system. I'm very sensitive to all types of chemicals so I never even tried working with pure turpentine. Hope you're feeling better.

Rabbit Twilight
07-12-2004, 10:35 AM
Thanks Bob, Diane, Dana, Paul and Anne! I appreciate your comments.

The Hemerocallis are in bloom here and I see them in your foreground also
Dana, you are amazing! These are indeed Daylilies. Don't know how you could tell from all the blobs of paint. I took the source photo over 17 years ago at a farm where they had a beautiful daylily garden. I bought several, and today they are really well known for their flowers.

Paul and Anne......I don't use turps enough to think it is the culprit. I think I've narrowed it down to various mediums. Recently I was using Marogers and a glazing medium that seemed to have a strong scent of cloves or something. I put them completely away and will use the palette knife until I see how I react to nothing but oil paint. At least linseed oil doesn't seem to have a smell.

I haven't always been sensitive to fumes of this kind, but I cannot go into a perfume or candle store at all!

Thanks again!

infinedi
07-12-2004, 10:56 AM
Absolutely gorgeous! This feeels alive!!!! :clap:

Rabbit Twilight
07-12-2004, 10:59 AM
jThanks Sherril!

NHyde
07-12-2004, 12:19 PM
Rusty? Ha! I don't think so.

This one is a winner, Bobbi. Brava!

Cheers,
Nicole

jwcarroll
07-12-2004, 01:57 PM
WOW!!! Nice.

Rabbit Twilight
07-12-2004, 02:48 PM
Thanks Nicole and Jim.....This encourage me to do more with the palette knife.

Dana Design
07-12-2004, 02:52 PM
Dana, you are amazing! These are indeed Daylilies. Don't know how you could tell from all the blobs of paint. I took the source photo over 17 years ago at a farm where they had a beautiful daylily garden. I bought several, and today they are really well known for their flowers.

Thanks again!

Bobbi, they're my most favorite flowers and I'd recognize them anywhere! Beautiful! The oranges and yellows are almost gone and the deer love them but the burgundies are just starting to bloom.

haaf
07-12-2004, 03:35 PM
Bobbi, good decent lovely work !
About the turp issue, I'm using a low odour solvent it's Sansodor from Winsor and Newton. For glazing a mix of the solvent, damar varnish and linseed oil. No problem's with that, and I'm allergic for a lot of other stuff.
Caroline ;)

Mikey
07-12-2004, 03:42 PM
Bobbi, good decent lovely work !
About the turp issue, I'm using a low odour solvent it's Sansodor from Winsor and Newton. For glazing a mix of the solvent, damar varnish and linseed oil. No problem's with that, and I'm allergic for a lot of other stuff.
Caroline ;)

Yep, I used it for the oil sketch, no problems, but then I don't seem to have allergies, it just the 'low odour' which is useful to me.

Mikey

mattlart
07-12-2004, 09:12 PM
Beautiful as always Bobbi. :D
I've recently taken a peek at your website ,..and was blown away by several of your bordering-on-the-abstract tonalist landscapes.
You are undoubtedly one of my favorite painters at this point kid! :)

You also might consider trying some of the water-soluble oils.I've been using the Grumbacher Max products for about 3-4 years now,..and I love them!
No solvents to deal with,..and used with their"Quick Dry" medium,...seem to handle exactly like traditional oils,..if not even more versatile.
Just clean your brushes with soap-and-water;.....and that's all she wrote. :D
Best Wishes,-Scott

wolvenp
07-13-2004, 01:09 AM
Bobbi,
This is such a nice, mature work.

Anyway, I think I read that Maroger is toxic. Also, at the local art store someone recommended using walnut oil as a thinner-no solvents. I am going to try this. I dont like linseed as it is too glossy.

Rabbit Twilight
07-13-2004, 10:59 AM
I really appreciate all of the advise for things to try to help with my allergies/asthma that you guys have suggested.

You are undoubtedly one of my favorite painters at this point kid!
Wowsers! Thanks Scott. I probably won't be able to leave the building today, my head will be so "big" I won't fit through the door. :)

Your post is timely Scott because I was thinking of ordering some alkyds today. But the brushes still have to be cleaned with solvent. I think I will give the water-soluable oils another try. Seems like the colors were a little lacking when I tried them once before. But, you sure don't have any problems. Your paintings are always colorful, bright and bold. Not to mention the juicy brushstrokes.
Can the Grumbacher medium also be washed out of brushes with just soap and water?

Dana Design
07-13-2004, 12:03 PM
Actually, Bobbi, I just read a good article last night in the August issue of Artist's Mag on water-miscible oils. It did say that warm, soapy water may be used to clean brushes.